Thread: Is Polly an ENTp?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Polly an ENTp?

Ok, I've had a couple actually question this so I'm going to open this up for debate. Personally, I have no doubts I'm an ENTp. I have strengthened some of my other traits over time because I've had to and there others that still need a lot of work.

Some of the things I think that others might see and think hmmm that doesn't seem very ENTpish reaction are influenced by some of the following factors. I think its important because it shows how environment really can influence the way a type behaves:

1. I'm female. We've had this discussion several times so I won't get into the details but society teaches females that they should be more feelers than thinkers and that does have an impact on female thinking behavior.

2. I worked for 8 years in an academic environment. I learned there how to be more aggressive because you have to be to make it there. I don't have a degree but everyone I worked with did pretty much. So I always had to work just a bit harder than everyone else to prove myself. In a University its hard to gain the the respect of some of your colleagues without a degree.

3. When I was a child I was bulllied really bad in school for many years. So whenever I see bullying behavior, I'm sensitive to it and quite often will point it out. I know its probably going to damage my relationship with that person but I'd rather sacrifice that then be an enabler to the behavior.

4. I worked in employment equity for several years and have always volunteered for human rights related stuff. Its an environment that can be very frustrating, just like the area of social work and the health care sector.

You get very little money (if any) to do this HUGE amount of work, you are completely overworked but to stop means you get to personally see the human impact of you not giving 300%. If you are a certain type who feels responsibility for others, to not do something about it makes you feel guilty.

Working in these areas as hard as I have for so many years can put me on the defensive when it comes to these issues when I hear an apathetic remark.

5. I come from a poor and humble background. I was supposed to marry well, not have a good job myself. My goals were really small at first because that's all I was exposed to. The more I am exposed to the more my goals grow. But I am still sometimes amazed at all the opportunities out there. I was raised in a rural area and internet wasn't wide spread then. It wasn't until my early 20s that I got the internet and was like WOW and was exposed to this whole other world.

Basically it took awhile to see that I was just seeing things through the eyes of someone in the lower achelon of a class system.

6. I'm bi-cultural I guess you could say. I'm half native (yeah yeah I know I don't look it...just trust me) and myself and my family has had to put up with a lot of crap because of it. I lived in one racist community for about 7 years and it took its toll on me. Where I don't look native, I was hearing the remarks constantly. Eventually, I dropped out of highschool because of it, and moved to a different town. I had a lot of anger to deal with over stuff like that for quite awhile.

All this stuff created a bit of a shell around me for most of my life. Its only been the last few years that I'm starting to come out of it.

Socionics and MBTI were both tools in this because it helps me understand that parts of me that were so misunderstood by others when I was growing up. I now accept my negative traits a lot better because I value my positive traits more.

I only use the type descriptions as a lose guide to personality traits. There are so many variations within a type I find, and to pinhole someone to a certain behavior might make them think they have no ability to change it if they want.

For me, its been incredibly valuable when dealing with conflict situations and to prevent them from occurring in the first place. There is only one type I seem to lack the talent to deal with in the workplace and that's an ESTp. Their behavior seems so illogical to me sometimes and very hard to predict. Some will even try to compete with me and dominate me when I'm just being me. I often feel some ESTps resent me. Maybe its the whole one-upmanship thing. I do it, even though I don't even realize I'm doing it at the time. To me, its just the back and forth of a conversation. I'm working on it.

Lastly, I always prided myself on being so adaptable to people (including the ESTps...I just let them do whatever they wanted before so they were happy). As I've gotten older though, I realized that same adaptability can make me look wishy washy to some people and taken advantage of by others. So I'm learning to pay more attention to my feelings and wants and be forthcoming with them (I can be a little clumsy about it still though). I'm a lot happier and feel like I'm being more myself. I'm nice and useful enough that people tolerate my faults.
    Polly
    ENTP

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...some of this reminds me of myself, although I'm only a quarter Cherokee. I used to do a bunch of community service and some social work, and I can definitely ID with you on the bullying stuff: one of peoples' doubts about me being ENTp when I first arrived here stemmed from my intolerance of Peter's bagging on INTjs.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are entp because when I read your posts, I'm always going yeah, that's me too.

Some things aren't type related - like your thing with estp. Personally, I get along pretty well with estp's, I think because I don't have one in my family of origin. But it's harder for me to get along with estj's (mom) and some enfp's (brother). It's due to family dynamics - people of that type remind me of family members that I've had more difficulty with.

Although maybe I should retract some of this since my estp husband wants a divorce. We always got along well up till now, though.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are right about the ESTp thing. The field I work in is go go go so they often appear to excel but where I'm involved in systems and they dislike following systems, it has caused continued conflict between myself and them.

I recently found out that certain type of, lets say... ESTp gone wrong, doesn't last long in some systems which has done a lot to restore my faith in the fairness of the world.

I recently saw an ESTp fired for the same reasons why I ended up quitting my last my job. It made me feel so good to see that not every place will tolerate that type of behavior.

Now if they'd only hire me an assistant to keep my files neat, all would be right with the world.

I had no idea your spouse was an ESTp Blaze. Wow, I could have been coming to you for ESTp advice all along!!

I think my biggest problem is that I don't value enough those traits which make them special. It actually bugs me a bit. I'm usually so good at seeing and valuing the positive side of individuals. But whenever I see what good they do and that they accomplished something...a little voice inside me says, yeah...but who had to suffer and how bad because of it.

Because ESTps really stick out to me, I worry what biases it might cause. I really do believe everyone deserves a chance.
    Polly
    ENTP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Polly,

Consider the source of those implying, or asserting, that you are not ENTp. I saw where a non-ENTp attempted to debate RC McNews' description of this type. That's just plain stupid. Who better can provide a description of type, than someone who has determined it is their type. I have no idea whether you are ENTp. From chatting with you over the months, it appears that you have been subjected to a hostile work environment which may have you appearing more introverted and feeling. It's hard to seek affirmation on these forums, since you are ultimately allowing someone who may not be quite sure of their own type.

You will confirm your type eventually. It has taken me over five years, a great deal of reading material, taking the actual MBTI and some hard self-examining, to determine my best fit type. In the end, it boils down to your being able to self-analyze while around others. Even those professing to be introverts should do this. More importantly, as long as you are in environments, or have to subcumb to hostility from others, you have an arduous time making that determination. It's too easy to get off on a garden path, which in itself indicates you are perceiving and utilizing T(i).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, my post wasn't really to confirm my type. I don't really seem to fit any other but ENTp. It was more to show people that people aren't merely defined by functions. Environment DOES have an impact on behavior regardless of your type.

So basically, don't get too wrapped up in ...oh I saw this behavior so that means someone MUST be this or that. It's just not the case.
    Polly
    ENTP