Thread: What's your future goal Deltas?

Creepy-Cyclops

Default What's your future goal Deltas?

For a long time, and looking back, I've lived most of my time as I see it as living by my wits. Taking some of the opportunities that come my way and enjoying them, yet at the same time falling back on my old faithful way of enjoying the world, which for me is I have to admit, as shallow as perhaps it may sound, good food, some travel, company I enjoy, solitary time, nice homely enjoyable pubs .

Much of my jobs have evolved round what's there in the city. An attempt at balance between earning money and having the time to enjoy my own space, although it's not always been a perfect balance.

I've rarely if ever looked forward (much to my ILI brothers charinge, being a farsighted type I suppose).

Do you ever think about retiring or settling down?

For once I think i'm developing a sort of life goal. My overall aim is to develop a niche of earning a living and settling down somewhere fairly remote, a small village in the Highlands. (I live in Scotland). I think that such an environment with open spaces is a good place to bring up children, an environment where there's fresh air, little crime and everyone in the community has a purpose to contribute. The open space of the countryside and the terrain also provides me with plenty opportunity to be alone with my thoughts, yet ideally, within a family, a sense of belonging also.

Of course, a lot of this depends on what my other half would want to do, she may be a city lover .

So I suppose it's good to have a plan of some sorts eventually?

What's your thoughts on this, settling down, the future etc?

Or maybe i'm just rambling!

Here it is: complete my going back to uni, travel the world a little bit, then settle down in a rural area!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is good stuff to ponder. I actually don't think much about the future, despite being ENFp. I actually think that once I visualize something I get set on a "path" that happens fairly quickly, so I have to be super sure what I want. And at this point, I don't think I completely know.

I know what I don't want -- to be trapped in something. Like to be in The Stepford Wives Movie. And suburbs scare me. I have a fear of being too far from a Duane Reade or a deli.

Not sure what I'll want in a year or two but for now it's NYC. I see myself camped out here for quite a long time. I'll probably settle down right in the middle of the city someday, and keep working for myself as I think I have issues w/ authority.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard for me to visualize the future for a number of reasons. I'll try to think of some:

1. I see too many possible futures for me to choose one. For example, I may or may not get married. I may or may not finish my second degree. I may or may not move to another city. When I do have to make decisions, I tend to make them quickly and act on them quickly. I don't know what paths I will act on until I have to choose, and I have no idea what paths I have yet to envision. Two years ago, I would not have predicted that I'd ever have a college degree. Now I have one, and it was a very quick decision because I took the opportunity when it was made simple for me.

2. I try to be a hopeful person and I also rarely have regrets. I think part of the way I maintain this outlook is by not getting set on things having to go a certain way. I choose to focus on improving my character and overcoming my challenges, but nothing specific beyond that. If I focused on more specific goals and invested my future in them, then I wouldn't be able to adapt as quickly as I need to, and I'd get tied down. If it doesn't end up right, I think my hopeful outlook would be affected.

3. If I don't know everything in advance, I put it in the back of my mind until someone or something comes along with the information I need to take a next step. So, say I want to move somewhere else (I do). I have done research and whatnot, but I don't feel I have enough to make the decision. I may need information, I may need help, whatever. I can live with that and I can focus on other things until I get the information (and especially the practical help) that I need to move. I think my dual could be very helpful with this sort of thing: helping me get the practical assistance and information I need in order to achieve goals.

4. My life has been both chaotic and stable. I've been through a lot, seen a lot, and done a lot, yet certain things have always stayed the same (for example, always stayed close to my family, always kept writing, always lived in the same house except for brief periods of time, etc). After years of up and down, I think I can accept my life as it is. In accepting that, I assume it will continue to have elements of chaos and stability.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    EII
    4w5, sp/sx

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have respect for time and how it's this driving force that you can only conform to. I've noticed that we sometimes don't get to choose what ends up happening, for better or for worse, so I really don't think too much into the future. It doesn't mean I don't aim for a certain direction, but I definitely don't like to think about the details of how I will get there. To me the "future" is basically tomorrow, and you don't know what can happen. Usually people get into such a routine, that they don't realize how unpredictable daily life can be. It sounds cheesy I know, but I'm starting to realize that each passing day is a miracle, in that we have no idea what could be in store the next day, but we still have all these daily planners, etc, that make us think that we have control over time. We like having control of when things will happens in our lives (getting married, retirement), and have this pressure of having a "normal" structured life, which really is not tailored to what each of us might truly find fulfilling and satisfying.

Cyclops, if you like "good food, some travel, company I enjoy, solitary time, nice homely enjoyable pubs" then just do it, and who cares if it's shallow, because to you it's not. The thing is that I know it's annoying when someone is going to be on your case like "why haven't you done this and that", because they think that it's how you should go about your life. It's almost like we want to do things in our life that are "approved" by some kind of societal predetermined path. Why can't people just focus on their own lives rather than what the neighbor is doing with theirs? This kind of stuff pisses me off. People make life harder for others than it has to be when they judge.

Somewhere along the line I got "enlightened," because I used to be very future oriented and judgmental. Wow, now I got fired up with this topic lol. I'll stop here .

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate when people repeats what others say like parrots, without spending even a little time thinking by themselves. You see them all over the world pretending to seem interesting and out of the loop, talking about modern, "serious" issues such as global warming, environmental pollution, scarcity of energy, overpopulation, etc.

Thing is, I doubt many understand the nature of the human race and where are we heading to.

We humans derive our success from our ability to be proactive, not reactive like all other animals. We're limited by our prejudice to think that we need to solve problems, sometimes overlooking the fact that many of such problems doesn't exist in the first place.

We're very near to have access to the space and with that technology our horizons will expand well beyond the earth. There is a virtually infinite supply of both raw materials and energy in the universe, yet we're conditioned by our leaders to believe that there is a dark future.

What a better way to control people, than to make them to be afraid? It is impossible to think clearly when we're afraid, that's why priests prefer war... so says Nietzsche.

Our future has always been, and will always be, a bright one. But sometimes we need to swim into our own madness and destroy our way of life, just to make place for a new one.

Above all, we're living in a special time because we're about to reach the ultimate goal of any civilization: to replicate itself, in the form of artificial intelligence.

What's my future goal? To participate in the above. I consider myself powerful and influential, not powerless and irrelevant. In the end it's up to you what you do with your life.

Think about it.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an interesting way to look at it.

My view is that human technology is not advancing fast enough for it to colonize the space out there before environmental problems take a toll on humanity.

Also it is very likely that we are unable to solve whatever environmental problems there are anyway. Despite all the publicity, not enough is being done.

Artificial intelligence still has a long way to go, and I suppose together with its benefits it comes with a whole set of problems. By no means am I against progress. Artificial intelligence is useful only as a tool, but anything beyond that may result in problems for humanity.

I feel that it is very likely that the world will deteriorate in a few more generations. Problems do exist. Hope also does exist. But I think humanity will be unable to solve the problems that the world faces and will face.

I suppose then it is not really practical to think about whatever doom or glory humanity will move towards since in my point of view glory is unlikely and doom cannot be prevented if it does come upon us, but I'll ask myself everyday 'what are you doing now to make someone else smile, to make their life worthwhile?' I guess that as long as someone else smiiled because of whatever little I did, it doesn't matter where I go in the future.

I do think your future goal is noble though, and if it were successful and you were a part in it, then you would have made many to smile, whether directly or indirectly.

I guess I am as powerful and influential as a pebble falling into a pond. No tsunamis will happen, but the ripples will keep extending, and I will be glad to be that pebble.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default emoticons

You want goals? I got them
    I don't think I'll list them here, however. I'll just say I have lots to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    What a better way to control people, than to make them to be afraid? It is impossible to think clearly when we're afraid, that's why priests prefer war... so says Nietzsche.
    This is unrelated to mikemex I suppose, but...

Why do people who think they are so cool for being 'anti religious' or 'philosophical' think that quoting Nietzche is any more grand than quoting scripture of some 'religious text'?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the "vibe" of mikemex's post, as far as being influential. I also liked CeruleanFlame's post and this:

"I guess I am as powerful and influential as a pebble falling into a pond. No tsunamis will happen, but the ripples will keep extending, and I will be glad to be that pebble."

I guess us ENFps really do want to be influential in one way or another -- I know I do. And I guess that would be one thing I'm sure of, as far as my future.

As far as whether our world is about to turn around beautifully or explode or turn into some terrible dark age of horrible things is one of those "who knows" things. Seems everything goes in cycles and I know even the dinosaurs only got a limited run, so I guess we should be happy for what we get. I figure it's all much bigger than us anyway and our influence and decision-making really is only slightly more powerful than an insects (in the scheme of things). We just have big egos I think. So let's see what happens and in the meantime I guess just live with all you've got, try to improve it as much as you can, so if the world does go downhill, we can at least know we lived it the way we wanted to.

ok that was way rambly. The rest of the posts here I related to also...I mean in Delta I'm pretty much always nodding my head.

Creepy-male

I think "influential" is too big a word.

My goals, I suppose, are fairly small. I want to get in to clinical psych and start treating people, as it's a job with both great interest and personal value. I find the mind and people to be fascinating, and I have a mind that naturally tends to get stuck in the various nooks and crannies that it's good at finding.

Essentially, I think "influential" for me carries "goes down in history". I don't want that, necessarily, but I'm not going to fight being someone big I'm sort of going to appropriate what jewels was saying--I want to leave a mark, even if it's just a smudge, that means something to me, and that I know I can apply myself to.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Why do people who think they are so cool for being 'anti religious' or 'philosophical' think that quoting Nietzche is any more grand than quoting scripture of some 'religious text'?

Because Nietzche had a brain, and didn't live long enough ago to make 90% of what he says irrelevant to modern society.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Nietzche, I will give that he had a great ability to construct an argument and even a few I would agree with. Still, I found his rhetoric conceited, at times hypocritical and contradictory. That is all I will say in the subject matter.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nietzsche was the first to say it, and deserves some merit.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is my future goal?

Look, I'm 37yo and STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
    Do I even want to grow up?
    Not particularly.

The one goal though, that has stayed with me since I was a preteen is that I want to live. No, i'm not talking about living the high life, feeling that sense of being alive, etc. It's actually more mundane than that. I want to be breathing, thinking, and still kicking, etc. If I can feel "alive" then that's even better, lol. But I fully intend to live a long life...preferably while still being aware...(hopefully without any form of dementia)

Since this past winter, I've had some back issues which have had me rethinking previous 'goals', ideas, and hobbies I had intended for myself. I have had to give up a lot of them. And am spending this time trying to get those back issues taken care of. But it has gotten me thinking about if I would still want to live a long life with this constant pain all the time? The answer turned out to be yes, even with the pain, I'd still want to continue on. That's when I knew that that was my future goal. To survive, above all else.

As for other future goals? Well, a long time ago I got a sudden picture in my head of life being like a tree, with all its many branches and branches of branches, and so on. That as we go about life, we come to these spots where a decision we make or an action we take sets us one of many possible paths. And that one decision or an action has just opened up new and/or different decisions/actions and situations that we'll have in the future.

Sometimes we might do something or something might happen that wipes out half the tree, forcing us to tend to the roots and the trunk before we can get back into the branches. Here again though, we can choose to whither away and die, or we can work towards mending it and even possibly working towards opening up new branches that had never been available to us before.

So yeah, basically, the future has too many options to set in just one....
    Other than to live long enough to access many of those branches.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At some point in time I want to have a wife/kids, apart from that most of my goals vary depending on the time of the year and whatnot. My current goals are nowhere near the ones I had 3 years ago. New ones are nowhere near the ones I had half a year ago. I don't consider them to be set in stone, I just gather more confidence in myself and in everything I do, so my goals increase in scale. I just as easily can see how my goals could shrink should success turn away from me. Either way I am rarely fully satisfied with what I have, If I get what I want I just think of something new.

My short term goals are now related to work mostly, because it just became very exciting and probably first time in my life I am comfortable with having more responsibility over others and project in itself. It still seems weird a bit but I just don't see anyone able to do things around me which I could do, so heck, why not, I feel valued and that drives me forward.

At the same time I want to make it as smooth as possible with my gf, knowing she sees me only a week in a month it is not always easy for her, although not that big of a problem to myself I still understand her and her worries, so I try to keep her smiling.

Now on long term goals, as I said apart from having a family at some point, I have none at the moment. Just because current challenges are very exciting as it is, so my mind is occupied most of the time anyways .
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Because Nietzche had a brain, and didn't live long enough ago to make 90% of what he says irrelevant to modern society.
    But he's so emo and ... blahh

HERE, AT LAST, is a Nietzsche quote I can fully support!

"We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once."

— Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Creepy-Cyclops

This has been some good replies here. Thank you y'all for taking the time to do so.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate when people ask me this question because I've never really had any serious goals for myself other than to just be happy...some people, when asked this question, will enthusiastically respond they want to cure cancer or fly to moon or be a movie star...nah, all I want out of life is to just be happy and content with myself and able to make it on my own. Its impossible for me to say what I want my future to be like as it changes constantly. Like I said, I guess all I really want is to be able to take care of myself and enjoy life. I'd like to travel a lot and have some babies. Yeah, I want me some kids...but not for a little while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh good, someone else in my boat. Actually I could see myself owning my own business someday; I think doing that, I might be able to find something I'm passionate about. But being passionate about working for someone else who criticizes your every decision and wonders why you don't work 24-7 for the sheer joy of it? Oh hell no.
    IEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    But being passionate about working for someone else who criticizes your every decision
    When you are hired by someone, you basically have one boss.

When you run your own business, you end up working for several bosses rather than just one: Your customers.

So AFAICT, the only way to get away from sour-bellied "bosses" is to either be an old-fashioned housewife or to get into a situation where you basically get money coming in without having to do much: living off an already laid up fortune, book royalties, social security checks or whatever.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
    When you are hired by someone, you basically have one boss.

When you run your own business, you end up working for several bosses rather than just one: Your customers.

So AFAICT, the only way to get away from sour-bellied "bosses" is to either be an old-fashioned housewife or to get into a situation where you basically get money coming in without having to do much: living off an already laid up fortune, book royalties, social security checks or whatever.
    The difference for me, is the freedom to be able to "fire" a client/customer. When working as a "employee" of someone else, no matter how abusive or unreasonable a client/customer is, you have to suck it up and just take that behavior (or risk being fired). Same thing goes w/ abusive behavior from your boss, co-workers, etc. A lot of bosses yell at people without giving it a second though, which can be very damaging and toxic. If you want to not be fired, you can't do/say much about this.

However, when working for yourself, you can set boundaries or even stop working with a client/customer when they become "not worth it." If their need for hand holding/bad behavior outweighs the money you're making from them, you can end it (assuming it's not a long-term contract, which can be avoided by doing project by project). These people are actually draining on time and resources and can cost you money in the end if they're taking up too much time.

That power to make more effective decisions for yourself and avoid bad treatment does wonders for your self-respect (though you do have to stay on the ball and make sure you're finding replacement clients of course). Strangely, some clients I have "fired" have ended up coming back and offered to do things more respectfully (something that never would have happened for me when working for an employer where I couldn't set those boundaries).

Also, becoming an "old fashioned housewife" would be replacing a boss w/ a husband, which opens potentail for a similarly bad situation to happen if the husband is not kind and respectful (the same power imbalance of employer/employee exists).

There are also other types of businesses where the owner doesn't interact w/ people and it's mostly automated. There are MANY ways to "get away from sour-bellied bosses." Many, many ways! Society prefers we ignore this so that we will shut up and go to work. It's easier to believe something is impossible than to work towards something new and better. I really like Wayne Dyer's new book "Excuses Begone." It addresses why we hold onto untrue ideas (because the payout is higher). He includes a quote, "We lie to ourselves, in order that we may still have the excuse of ignorance," -Aldous Huxley

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My goal fort the future is to achieve my dream job. I hope to become a video editor for a film company and be involved with the creative side of things. I often think of the different possibilities for my future, where things can go, and hope that I will end up where I want. I like to sync up music with clips, and putting together the video in meaningful ways. We don't always have control over how things go, but we can make the most of it. In order to achieve a goal, work is needed to get there. I have done some projects for other people to improve and brush up on my skills and done my own stuff too. If I don't work for a company, I would be okay doing it on a smaller scale, as long as I achieved my dream.

As a hobby, I want to improve my animation skills. I don't want to do it on the professional level, but to dabble in it as a side hobby. I do a lot of art in my freetime, and animation is an interest of mine. Mostly hand-drawn over CG/digital is what I want to brush up on.

I also intend to finish my education and polish up my skills. Learning more about editing, and taking more classes.

Getting married is also a goal that I have sometime down the road.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Live alone in my own place and not have to leave it if I don't feel like it.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned goals for 2021 recently in the random thoughts thread but essentially for the long term I seek to develop fluency in French, German, and Russian, become a black belt in BJJ and Judo, and serve in the military or the Sea Org. If I join the Sea Org, marry and become a Dir I&R at senior HCO some day. If I don't then after the military perhaps get a degree in engineering and move to Europe, get married, have kids, and do volunteer firefighting work on the side, which is something I'd seek to do in present time if there were opportunities near by (live in a major area so all departments nearby are professional only).

As much as I love comfort, I genuinely hate giving in to that side of me and seek to live a life full of purpose and meaning, doing something noble if highly unpleasant.

TIM
    IEI-C
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to future plan a lot. I had trouble when those plans relied on other people, or I'd be disappointed in myself when it turned out the path I thought I wanted wasn't right for me after all. I don't really do it so much anymore. I did achieve all my 2020 goals. Better job, my own place in a city I love, rescued a cat. 2021, I'd like to earn a promotion and eventually move into a house rather than an apartment. Maybe get another dog. Take some classes. Keep dabbling in the hobbies I've picked up, like language learning. I'm looking forward to things opening up again. In the long term, I'd love to start a family someday. But that's only if I met the right person, so I'm not committed to that as a "goal" per se. I'm at the point now where I'm just taking things as they come.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

My main individual wish is good marriage. This may add a lot of positive emotions.
    Also I'd want to do useful for humanity to make it happier and stronger. For what Jung types may help.

Banned
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp684 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I hate when people ask me this question because I've never really had any serious goals for myself other than to just be happy...some people, when asked this question, will enthusiastically respond they want to cure cancer or fly to moon or be a movie star...nah, all I want out of life is to just be happy and content with myself and able to make it on my own. Its impossible for me to say what I want my future to be like as it changes constantly. Like I said, I guess all I really want is to be able to take care of myself and enjoy life. I'd like to travel a lot and have some babies. Yeah, I want me some kids...but not for a little while.
    90% same. The other 10% are my "career" goals.