Thread: ENFps and INFjs: does the concept of "finishing" seem foreign to you?

Creepy-

Default ENFps and INFjs: does the concept of "finishing" seem foreign to you?

Delta NFs, do you see preparing for and launching something new as having greater value than experiencing what you already have and finishing what you've begun? Do you drop things when you can't handle them any longer or realize that you have neglected them for too long, instead of taking care to finish things and tie up all loose ends?
    Last edited by female; 07-22-2009 at 03:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It actually really bothers me when something's not done. I may put it off for a little while, but I'm really more of an end result person. I don't always enjoy the "process" all that much, especially w/ work stuff.

I will abandon some personal interests. But those are more ongoing things like learning a sport, or taking random classes. Not a start and finish thing like a project.

If I have a deadline I always get it done by then. And I don't feel better until it's done and then I can relax.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Delta DFs, do you see preparing for and launching something new as having greater value than experiencing what you already have and finishing what you've begun? Do you drop things when you can't handle them any longer or realize that you have neglected them for too long, instead of taking care to finish things and tie up all loose ends?
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "new", In most cases yes. I am most productive at the beginning stages of an activity when it is still new and novel, after a while it gets boring for me. I have a hard time finishing what I begun and if I run into troubles I sometimes just move on and leave instead of finishing.

As an example, I started learning spanish, basically I was doing it constantly, was listening to spanish radio and such. After a while it got boring and I dropped it even though I have already paid the money. Just was not interesting.

Or for instance work, thank god I move from project to project as it always brings something new, I quickly adapt to new places and start working fast, but when everyone is used to it, they work better than me as I already lost interest. So Im way better in beginning stages of the project than when it comes to the finish. And not only because its harder, as it is not nescesarily true, but because at that point in time, it is most likely boring for me.

Something similar was in university, I finished in 5 years when most people did it in 4, since I had no willpower in the end to just pass a few exams and just said "screw that, see you next year". When the next year came it was something similar and with some luck I managed to finish it, but I was not very motivated.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recognize that quote from the wiki. I have to say it really hits home for me. I can force myself to tie up loose ends and make sure that things are finished but it doesn't come naturally.
    Sometimes I do a lot of things at once but none of those things are completely completed.. It makes me appear sloppy at times but if I'm expected to do something properly to the end, I do it. it just feels pointless to obsess about all the loose ends. That's just how my mind works. I tend to get slightly obsessed when I'm required to do things thoroughly. I also tend to get excited about something and get all motivated to do it but it fades rather quickly which at that point it's hard for me to push through it and get it done without the burning motivation..

I could say the incomplete theme seems like a motif in everything I do. I'll get excited about learning new things or traveling to certain countries or reading books or picking up new hobbies but sometimes it seems like my enthusiasm can only get me sprinting at first but never helps me run through a whole marathon. I think a lot of people enjoy the beginning stages of things it's just way more exciting but obviously I'm not excited about every beginning, sometimes I just really want to get to the finish line..

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a habit of not finishing what I start because I end up getting bored near the end. This doesn't apply to things related with people, my career, and responsibility though. When I was younger I could have been playing a really long game and then stop right before the final boss because I got bored. I don't have hobbies that deal with finishing something, such as building things, or anything that has a final objective. I think this is one of the reason why playing music appeals to me, because there is no real end point to playing an instrument. Not finishing something is related to procrastination, which is a battle I've always fought . I do manage to be successful when I'm in "move forward" mode, but then I can fall into the habit of following different interests and I lose focus. I get distracted fairly easily at times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I felt similar to Ssmall in college (in that it got really boring really fast). My reaction was to get through ASAP so I could go do something more fun and get paid for it. I ended up finishing a semester early, mostly out of annoyance and wanting to do my own thing. I tend to sorta "rush through" really boring stuff and do those tasks as fast as is humanly possible. Then I can move onto something else.

I remember doing that even in Kindergarden. If there was a toy I wanted to play with, I'd do our "assignment" with the minimum possible and run over to the toy. For instance, to decorate a box, I put one sticker on each side. They made me come back and "finish it" which I rememer thinking was dumb of them, since it was technically "decorated."

So a lot of my work now is little projects that I can rush through and then I feel better when they're done. If there is a roadblock or something takes longer than expected however, I will tend to freak out. Like if my printer breaks and I want to finish some boring thing that needs to be printed.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delta DFs
    LMAO
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    LMAO
    Yeah, yeah - laugh it up, Zach

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now I have a few more questions for you guys:

Does it help you to have a clear deadline established?

What kinds of projects do you get most excited to start working on? What kind of thing makes you excited and eager to work on it?

What kinds of things are you most likely to distract you from current projects/interests/etc.?

When you've put a project/interest/etc. aside, are you usually finished with it for good or would you be likely to return to it another time?
    I started writing this comprehensive post trying to answer these questions but then I felt I was rehashing this thing and decided to spare the boredom.. That's delta nfs for you right there

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
    I started writing this comprehensive post trying to answer these questions but then I felt I was rehashing this thing and decided to spare the boredom.. That's delta nfs for you right there

Fair enough.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always have an endgoal in mind when it comes to personal projects or tasks at work. My vision may change, and it's not rigid and set in stone. I may also resort to something completely different that works better, or that I prefer overall. It takes me a long time, and I'm a crockpot so it may appear to an outsider that I'm never going to finish what I started.

If I get an interesting new idea, when I have time, I waste no time in carrying it out because chances are I will lose interest and inspiration as time goes on. This is the case with my art projects. With schoolwork, I begin working on it a while before the due date and continue little by little. I only may not completely finish something if I didn't completely think it through, and overlooked something, and after many tries of being unsuccessful.

I resort to another solution, and don't completely give up. I also take little breaks in personal projects, to pace things out so I don't get bored, or bite off more than I can chew too quickly. I am guilty of starting new things when I'm in the middle of something old, then putting off the old thing for a long time. I don't intend on just leaving it there forever, I need to figure something else out, or come back later to look at it from an alternate angle.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?