Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Characters

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fear of sleep View Post
    I'm not saying there is inconsistency in the model, I'm saying there is inconsistency in the characters that don't fit the model, so the writer's intentions and attitude should be taken into account.
    Yet this is what you do when you don't know why a model is inconsistent. You don't try to fix the model because you don't know the solution. You rather try to fix the intentions of the characters to whatever sounds logical, and whatever sounds logical becomes the new system.

No, I am not trying to get into that kind of distortion. I am well aware of what needs to be fixed and what needs to be left alone.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Yet this is what you do when you don't know why a model is inconsistent. You don't try to fix the model because you don't know the solution. You rather try to fix the intentions of the characters to whatever sounds logical, and whatever sounds logical becomes the new system.

No, I am not trying to get into that kind of distortion. I am well aware of what needs to be fixed and what needs to be left alone.
    It's not meant to be taken seriously. Stick to typing real people if you don't like it.
    The saddest ESFj

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are missing my point. I'm not bound to join any understanding that has false pretenses, yet I don't imply that I dislike the variables given. I only question those who distort the meaning of type, rather those who don't know which variables to look at and which are inconsistent. Your use of the word "like" out of relevancy to anything I have said suggests that you would not be able to accurately depict the writer's means in the first place. So why do you defend something you show little regard to?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    You are missing my point. I'm not bound to join any understanding that has false pretenses, yet I don't imply that I dislike the variables given. I only question those who distort the meaning of type, rather those who don't know which variables to look at and which are inconsistent. Your use of the word "like" out of relevancy to anything I have said suggests that you would not be able to accurately depict the writer's means in the first place. So why do you defend something you show little regard to?
    Alright, here's a little Fi/Se suggestion and it applies to everything--not just this thread. Don't ask people to do something for you (like type fictional characters) and then make snide fucking remarks when they don't adhere to your standards. That just makes you a jackass. Thanks for playing.
    The saddest ESFj

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You believe I was referencing my standards via insulting your displayed typing abilities alone? I am referencing your submission to the opinions within this very forum, that you seem to willingly fasten yourself to in order to further something as long as it can be furthered. Yet that something is not important to you. You are the one who is playing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know the type of Nien Nunb? Sometimes I see it spelled Nien Numb.

I ask because a friend of mine...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    IMO Anakin is SEE and Vader is ESI.
    Hey! love this one. Agreed.

Hey yall. I really really don't think luke is an ENPF.... really.
    IEE

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

R2-D2: LII-Ti
    C-3PO: R2's ESE-Fe gay lover
    Luke: IEE-Fi
    Leia: LIE-Ni
    Han: SEE-Se
    Chewie: ESI-Fi
    Obi-Wan: EII-Ne
    Yoda: EII-Ne
    Qui-Gon: IEE-Ne
    Mace Windu: ESI-Se
    Anakin: SEI-Si
    Padmé: IEE-Fi
    Palpatine: LIE-Ni
    Darth Maul: LSI-Se
    Count Dooku: LIE-Ni
    Darth Vader: LSI-Se
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guesses:

Luke: SEI Probably not an Se seeking type. Quiet, shy, good-natured, encouraging, and tends mostly to stay out of people's way. Has a semi-rigorous system of personal values that he prioritizes (demonstrative Fi). Some NF (esp. EII) is also a good possibility, but a major theme throughout the films is that he seems to need Ne egos (like Obi Wan and Yoda) to convince him of his great potential, otherwise he's pragmatic and down to Earth.

R2D2: ILE Quite the rambunctious little fellow, always poking his nose where it doesn't belong and getting into trouble. Puts himself in dangerous situations without a second's thought, usually to satisfy his curiosity. Expert with computer systems.

C3PO: ILI Not sure about the typing, but his standard routine is criticizing R2s "experimental" decisions and acting like a foil for him.

Leia: LSE
    Han: SLI Si can be bad ass too! I don't see him taking much initiative to form permanent bonds with people, but forms relationships after the fact. So it's a better typing than SEE IMO.
    Lando Calrisian: Fi creative

I don't see the point in commenting on the rest of them because there's been a lot written already.

Creepy-male

With C3PO, do you see an ILI being a clucking, overbearing mother hen?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    With C3PO, do you see an ILI being a clucking, overbearing mother hen?
    Actually, just this morning, I was thinking that he reminds me of some EIEs I know.

Creepy-male

Perhaps. My own guess would be a caricature of an ESE. Similarly perhaps with Kryten from Red Dwarf.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. You could be right.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    My guesses:

Luke: SEI Probably not an Se seeking type. Quiet, shy, good-natured, encouraging, and tends mostly to stay out of people's way. Has a semi-rigorous system of personal values that he prioritizes (demonstrative Fi). Some NF (esp. EII) is also a good possibility, but a major theme throughout the films is that he seems to need Ne egos (like Obi Wan and Yoda) to convince him of his great potential, otherwise he's pragmatic and down to Earth.

R2D2: ILE Quite the rambunctious little fellow, always poking his nose where it doesn't belong and getting into trouble. Puts himself in dangerous situations without a second's thought, usually to satisfy his curiosity. Expert with computer systems.

C3PO: ILI Not sure about the typing, but his standard routine is criticizing R2s "experimental" decisions and acting like a foil for him.

Leia: LSE
    Han: SLI Si can be bad ass too! I don't see him taking much initiative to form permanent bonds with people, but forms relationships after the fact. So it's a better typing than SEE IMO.
    Lando Calrisian: Fi creative

I don't see the point in commenting on the rest of them because there's been a lot written already.
    I had previously guessed that Luke might be IEE, but I find your argument for SEI compelling. SEI is now in the lead in my mind; I shall have to investigate further.

I agree with Han being SLI, though with a fairly low degree of certainty. R2-D2 being ILE is unexpectedly obvious in hindsight. I'll have to think about Leia being LSE, though. She's hard to pin down. It's an intriguing possibility though.

I have no idea about Threepio.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Darth Vader would be a good guy if you just forgive him and love him as much as possible. But then there would be no story I suppose.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Darth Vader would be a good guy if you just forgive him and love him as much as possible. But then there would be no story I suppose.

I did and he's still a prick.
    IEE-Ne

Creepy-male

yea star wars as a whole is more about vader than luke, when you factor in the first three episodes.

First one --> childhood, coming of age story
    Second one --> teen angst, love story
    Third one --> once again emo/teen angst, tragedy
    Fourth one --> beginning of the hero cycle for luke
    Fifth one --> typical middle of trilogy (dark one)
    Sixth one --> typical finale of trilogy, also resolves ep 1-3 plotlines

lol I hate to get all scholarly about it, but the form is kind of like, the first hero that is presented is vader, and he is followed, but he falls, the second hero that is presented is luke, and he is followed, but he succedes, and also redeems vader, the fallen hero. The idea is that while great ambitions may fall, their is redemption in the new younger generation, and in a way that generation reaches back and heals the failures of the older generation, mix that with the mythological/spiritual symbolism, and you got some major themes. I don't know if george lucas was but he studied mythology in depth and he has a couple of interviews talking about it, he wrote star wars and then later learned it followed basic mythology archetypes and forms. The hero cycle, the wise old man (obi wan), etc...

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    yea star wars as a whole is more about vader than luke, when you factor in the first three episodes.

First one --> childhood, coming of age story
    Second one --> teen angst, love story
    Third one --> once again emo/teen angst, tragedy
    Fourth one --> beginning of the hero cycle for luke
    Fifth one --> typical middle of trilogy (dark one)
    Sixth one --> typical finale of trilogy, also resolves ep 1-3 plotlines

lol I hate to get all scholarly about it, but the form is kind of like, the first hero that is presented is vader, and he is followed, but he falls, the second hero that is presented is luke, and he is followed, but he succedes, and also redeems vader, the fallen hero. The idea is that while great ambitions may fall, their is redemption in the new younger generation, and in a way that generation reaches back and heals the failures of the older generation, mix that with the mythological/spiritual symbolism, and you got some major themes. I don't know if george lucas was but he studied mythology in depth and he has a couple of interviews talking about it, he wrote star wars and then later learned it followed basic mythology archetypes and forms. The hero cycle, the wise old man (obi wan), etc...
    I loved how there was a sort of flip in my thinking about IV,V,and IV after seeing III. I agree the story really was about Vader in the end, and how he does in the end fullfill the prophecy about him bringing balance to the force by choosing to go to the light side after falling to the dark.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    I loved how there was a sort of flip in my thinking about IV,V,and IV after seeing III. I agree the story really was about Vader in the end, and how he does in the end fullfill the prophecy about him bringing balance to the force by choosing to go to the light side after falling to the dark.
    yea I kind of thought that flip in thought was cool also, the entire time I looked at star wars as pretty much a cut and dry hero story about luke.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've only typed three of them.
    Luke-IEI
    Leia-LIE
    Han-SLE
    Last edited by DirectorAbbie; 01-18-2011 at 07:14 PM.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Luke: SEI
    Leia: IEE
    Han: SLI
    Chewy: don't know can't understand him

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Luke: SEI
    Leia: IEE
    Han: SLI
    Chewy: don't know can't understand him
    Leia is too serious to be IEE.
    Han seems quite Beta and full-of-himself.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Leia is too serious to be IEE.
    Han seems quite Beta and full-of-himself.
    Possibly or not, or perhaps I'm typing the actors themselves, in which case i'd give Chewy ILI.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Any bad-guy who feels bad about what he's done at the end isn't really a bad-guy to me. The real bad-guy was the senator.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Dance Magic Dance CloudCuckooLander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Han and Leia strike me as an SEE-LIE activity pair. Chewbacca seems to be Han's ESI mirror. Luke, I'd type as some sort of Delta NF.
    2-subtype system: IEI-Fe
    8-subtype system: D-IEI-Fe
    16-subtype system: IEI-ESE

IEI-Fe 2w3 > p6w5 > 8w7 sx/so

"He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of living." - Edmond Dantes (The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas père)

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Star Wars Typings (original)

Luke: ISFp
    Obi-Wan: INFp
    Yoda: INTj
    Darth Vader: ISTp
    Emperor: INTp
    Princess Leia: INFp
    Lando: ESTp
    C3PO: INFj
    R2D2: ESFp

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Han Solo: ISTp?
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke: INFp
    Obi-Wan: INTj (Compared to Qui-Gon Jinn, otherwise, INFj is an option as well.)
    Qui-Gon Jinn: INFj
    Count Dooku: ISTj
    Darth Maul: ISTp (hard to type, it's just a guess)
    Boba/Jango Fett: ISTp
    Darth Vader: ISTj
    Anakin: ENFj
    Emperor: ENTj
    Princess Leia: ENFp?
    R2D2: ???
    Han Solo: ISTp
    Mace Windu: ESTj
    Padme Amidala: INFp
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, this, anyway I think obi wan more INFj than INTj, comparing to Yoda who is really more INTj. For princess leia I hesitate beetween IEI, IEE(-Fi) or EII... I dont remember darth maul saying something into the show, so typing is hard.
    C3PO: INFj >> lol
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

-- Maurice Chapelain

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noid View Post
    yes, this, anyway I think obi wan more INFj than INTj, comparing to Yoda who is really more INTj.
    Yeah, you could be right about this one. It's weird, he is one of the main characters and appears in every movie, but he's still hard to type. The constant development of his character might actually be the reason, maybe he changes too much throughout the series. However, in "Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace" I thought you could see the contrast between Obi-wan as a thinker and Qui-Gon as a feeling type.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was really let down when I opened this thread and read the OP.
    I had entirely different expectations.

I thought this thread was exactly its opposite, I thought we were going to be assigned star wars personality types and was very enthused and ready.

How unrealistic of me.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratsshadow View Post
    Luke: ISFp
    Obi-Wan: INFp
    Darth Vader: ISTp
    Emperor: INTp
    Princess Leia: INFp
    R2D2: ESFp

Luke Skywalker: SEI-Fe 9w8 so/sx
    Obi-Wan Kenobi: LII-Ne 6w5 so/sx
    Qui-Gon Jinn: ESE-Fe 8w7 sx/so
    Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader: SEE-Se 8w7 sx/sp
    Padme Amidala: IEI-Fe 3w4 sx/so
    Emperor Palpatine: EIE-Ni 8w9 sp/so
    Princess Leia: LSE-Te 1w9 so/sp
    Han Solo: SEE-Se 7w8 sp/sx
    Chewbacca: ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    C3PO: EII-Ne 1w2 so/sp
    R2D2: Alpha Irrational
    Yoda: SLI-Si 9w1 so/sp
    Mace Windu: LSE-Te 8w7 so/sx
    JarJar Binks: IEE-Ne 7w6 so/sx
    Jaba the Hutt: ILI-Te 5w6 sp/so
    Lando Calrissian: ESE-Si 3w2 sp/so

Personally I think these types are fairly consistent throughout the story.
    Last edited by Gilly; 09-05-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrangea View Post
    I was really let down when I opened this thread and read the OP.
    I had entirely different expectations.

I thought this thread was exactly its opposite, I thought we were going to be assigned star wars personality types and was very enthused and ready.

How unrealistic of me.
    We can do that too, actually it sounds like fun.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Han Solo: ISTp?
    Only in MBTI.

Leia is obviously EJ temperament and is, IMO, clearly his Beneficiary.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, this, anyway I think obi wan more INFj than INTj, comparing to Yoda who is really more INTj. For princess leia I hesitate beetween IEI, IEE(-Fi) or EII... I dont remember darth maul saying something into the show, so typing is hard.
    C3PO: INFj >> lol
    Actually I would say that Qui Gonn seem ESE: he is archetypally Alpha, functioning within the boundaries of the Delta "system" but pushing to expand them without a drastic schism and having no problems disobeying directly, and I think EJ temperament works very well, especially considering Obi Wan IJ.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you think he's ESI? I'm not saying it's wrong, but I didn't type him because I have too little to go on.

Regarding Qui-Gon Jinn: I think he seems too withdrawn and contemplative to be extrovert, and he's rigidly following his own moral system.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    yes, this, anyway I think obi wan more INFj than INTj, comparing to Yoda who is really more INTj.
    Yeah, you could be right about this one. It's weird, he is one of the main characters and appears in every movie, but he's still hard to type. The constant development of his character might actually be the reason, maybe he changes too much throughout the series. However, in "Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace" I thought you could see the contrast between Obi-wan as a thinker and Qui-Gon as a feeling type.
    I agree with this, definitely, but I think that Obi Wan represents an archetypal Alpha IJ, being strict in his attitudes but still willing to push boundaries and do whatever is necessary and disregard the Fi "rules" of the Republic in order to get shit done.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    Why do you think he's ESI? I'm not saying it's wrong, but I didn't type him because I have too little to go on.
    Well he seems generally sort of IJ, he's kind of always in the background and seems reliable. I don't think he can really be typed but I guess ESI just kind of makes sense with Solo as SEE.

Regarding Qui-Gon Jinn: I think he seems too withdrawn and contemplative to be extrovert, and he's only following his own moral system.
    I agree that he seems very internally conflicted, but I think that is more a result of sx/so stacking and living in an obviously trying time rather than introversion. I think he is obviously ethical and extroverted compared to Obi Wan: he takes the initiative, suggesting new "projects" and always being the first to put his personal spin on things; classic Alpha Extrovert, and he is obviously guided by his sense of personal ethics which is unconnected to the Republic or anyone around him, which smacks of Democratic ethics. IMO he is too daring, too much of a risk taker and a hot-shot to be Se PoLR at all; he is always improvising, changing plans mid-swing and coming up with something new on the fly, which is characteristic of strong Se; contrast to Obi-Wan, who appreciates this characteristic in the calculating Qui-Gon who is always on a mission and does the things he does for a very specific reason, but is totally unnerved by it in Anakin who seems to take more of a thrill from, and just naturally live in, that state of unbridled improvisation and "don't-give-a-fuck"ness.

On a related note, I think that Anakin and Obi-Wan as conflictors makes a lot of sense of why Anakin turns out the way he does. He loves Obi Wan and they are extremely good friends, but they represent to each other the kind of force in the universe that is responsible for things going wrong the way they are: to Obi-Wan, Anakin is reckless and ambitious, the kind of person without discipline or restraint, only looking out for his own good and taking what he wants; to Anakin, Obi-Wan is a bit of a drone, having independent thoughts and feelings but too afraid to act on them, blindly following the system and not thinking enough about what can be done to really start changing the way things are. Perhaps it was subconsciously his tense, demure, over-cautious mentor that drove him to take such radical actions and seek out the psychological contrast that ultimately leads to his siding with Palpatine.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Those are good explanation. Qui-Gon really seems very proactive which matches better with extroversion. Also regarding Obi-Wan as INTj it makes sense. But don't you think Anakin and Vader get different types? Technically, they're the same person, but they seem to be very different.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I think SEE fits both Anakin's wonderlusting free-wheeling power-hungry romanticism as well as his unwavering loyalty to EIE benefactor Palpatine. "Darth Vader" doesn't deserve a different type because he is essentially a drone; his "personality change" into a more austere, authoritative jerk doesn't really merit a "type" change so much as it shows how far he has fallen.

Under cerulean skies...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast