Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ILIs-INTps what is your current job/occupation or major?

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE: politician
    ILI: political strategist/analyst

TIM
    Robot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj View Post
    I think both interviews went pretty well btw, but am continuing my search and not getting my hopes up. Employers have lots of resumes and candidates these days so you never know.
    My problem is the 'searching' process. Do you have a special method for applying to jobs/interviews? Just keep calling and bugging them? It just does not seem like much is out there for a recent grad with 1+ year of work experience after school. I will pretty much do anything outside of working in fast food and retail.

I am probably looking too close to home, and will have to look someplace in the city.
    /

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saoshyant
    My problem is the 'searching' process. Do you have a special method for applying to jobs/interviews? Just keep calling and bugging them? It just does not seem like much is out there for a recent grad with 1+ year of work experience after school. I will pretty much do anything outside of working in fast food and retail.

I am probably looking too close to home, and will have to look someplace in the city.
    Interesting point.

I recently spent a year+ post-college in the same kind of "searching" limbo (in a multi-million people city, no less) and, like you, never found a thing (and, rarely, an interview).

On a whim, one day, I bought a ticket to NYC, found some bootleg Manhattan sublet on Craigslist, and applied to every last job I could find (market research, FWIW).

Long story short, a week or two in "the city" got me far more interviews/offers than well over a year "back home."

(Short story a little longer, though, New York rent on an entry-level budget didn't pan out.)

TL;DR -- Head downtown.

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

Networking.

As the old saying goes, "it's not what you know, it's who you know." Get on Relationships Matter | LinkedIn and connect with former classmates, work mates, or any friends of yours especially if you're in a similar field. Get recommendations where you can. Join relevant linkedin discussion groups for your field. There's lots of job boards on there, and of course have a very nicely formatted 1 page resume together too. Hit up everybody you know especially those that have jobs and see if their companies might be hiring. HR people and recruiters will always interview people that are already 'known' by someone in their company before anybody else, so utilize your network however you can.

At least for me there's plenty of stuff out there. The main challenge is finding stuff I can get to easily without ridiculously long commutes. Wife and I are settled down in a nice house now and she works too, so relocating isn't in the cards for us at this point. Plus the value of our home is still down by about $50k.

If you're young and mobile, go where the jobs are.

Side note: I heard back from one of the places I interviewed at and they were very very impressed and thought I'd be a great fit for the company, but thought I'd be a better match for another group and would find the work more interesting and more technical, and plus it'd be closer to me (short commute). So... waiting to get another interview lined up maybe this coming week although difficult with Thanksgiving so possibly the week after. Sounds promising and only got very positive vibes from everybody, but you never know so I'm going to keep searching.
    Last edited by stevENTj; 11-20-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, with the job market as it is, if you were thinking of grad school definitely do it. The job market will probably be a whole lot better by the time you finish a graduate degree.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Media Critic..although not so much anymore today. 90% of entertainment media can be summed up in two words.

I don't know about Writer.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    I don't know about Writer.
    Yes writer is good too.

I've heard a couple of people call that profession in a similar question about ILI's.

Also there is harry potter. Written by an ILI.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Also there is harry potter. Written by an ILI.
    ... I just got a gut feeling you're as Si as said writer. O/N.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    ... I just got a gut feeling you're as Si as said writer. O/N.
    I heard they type the writer ILI (for example Rick), but if that's not the case, then I haven't said anything.

How the heck you think I'm Si.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have worked as an editor, and language and corporate trainer. Like to write a lot. Love learning languages (not the computer ones).

I am always looking for various perspectives on who we are and what is around us. So, subjects such as psychology, philosophy, astrology, organizational behaviour, soul studies, etc., fascinate me ... though I have not turned them into my career ... yet, except for OB.
    Each of these subjects provide a unique view/insight (an absolutely Ni focus) into ourselves and our interaction with the environment.

Future interests include a formal degree in psychology, philosophy and micro-finance (the last one because everyone has a right to a secure life).

My deepest desire is to continue in the areas of self-development and maximize the human potential in each and empower people ... at the same time build structures in the environment that would promote growth for all.

Ni deals with perceptions. Work that allows for free use of Ni (with a need for systematizing) would be a natural choice for ILIs.

Though what I have actually seen is that ILIs get drawn to systems first and then start using their Ni... Probably because, Ni leading is absolutely introverted and operates without any reference to anything external or physical (... Si at least has objects or the body to meditate on ...).
    Maybe that is why ILIs see themselves as ready to do any job.
    Last edited by AQ; 11-26-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    NiTe

The metaphysics of yesterday is the physics of today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Maybe I should have titled this 'Theoretical ILI Jobs/Careers'.

It's a big hurdle from dependency and college to independence and professionalism for ILIs, especially in this society we live in.
    + 1.
    NiTe

The metaphysics of yesterday is the physics of today.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think part of it depends a whole lot on what you want from a career.

There's a difference between just wanting to make a living and wanting a fulfilling career. I want the latter, and therefore my possible paths include

-psychologist/therapist
    -artist
    -novelist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stevENTj,

Not sure how far you came along in your research for systems engineer or where you are located but wanted to suggest Arinc as a source for information http://jobs.arinc.com for ILI career possibilities.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Reinin you want a career that fulfills the creative function, protects the polr, and satisfies the suggestive function. For ILIs that sounds like a career in business.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumer1an View Post
    According to Reinin you want a career that fulfills the creative function, protects the polr, and satisfies the suggestive function. For ILIs that sounds like a career in business.
    Use this handy guide to choose the correct career:

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    stevENTj,

Not sure how far you came along in your research for systems engineer or where you are located but wanted to suggest Arinc as a source for information http://jobs.arinc.com for ILI career possibilities.
    Thanks for the tip...

I think a buddy or two of mine might have ended up at Arinc after the implosion at my last company. I had to take a few months off from my job hunt to tend to a very sick family member, but ended up getting something lined up in April and finally started in July. Didn't end up moving to systems, but took a really good job in my field based more on location than anything else. My commute is a whole 5 minutes now. Not too many people in the DC area can claim that. The savings in gas alone is gonna be a grand or two per year, not to mention quality of life improvements. Most of the other jobs I was looking at would have involved 45min to 1hr commutes each way. Some of those jobs might have been a bit cooler or sexier, but considering what I've been through with my sick family member I'd much rather be closer to home. The new job is awesome, a nice promotion, and a good 20-25% increase vs where I was before all things considered. Couldn't be happier, and really do need to count my blessings.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    IXI sx/so
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My best friend is an ILI and he's an embalmer. Recently got certified. Seems like the right kind of job for certain ILIs in that it's peaceful and it pays well.
    Probably ILI, or IE I/EIE/EII. PM me if you have ideas about my type! Ennagram 2w3 7w8 1w9.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SOCIONICS DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY! GOODNIGHT!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_Plaza
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    An ILI friend does amateur standup, and I've considered getting into both mortuary science and Aubrey Plaza.
    AT THE SAME TIME!
    Easy Day

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

My book gives the following suggestions:

ILI need to be in a career that allows them to develop, analyze and critique new ideas. That is why you like being here.
    A career that is challenging and deals with complex problems where they may try unconventional approaches and take risks to find the best solution.
    Where they can work independently to have quiet and private time to concentrate and complete their thinking process.
    Something that lets them set and maintain their won high standards (being a critical and analytical type).
    Work in a flexible and unstructured environment.
    other things if you want to email me I'll give you.

Computer/Technology
    Are you good at this and do you have acquired skills in this department is my first question.

Health Care/Technical
    Do you have interest in this, if yes, I have several options that you may study into.
    Pharmacy
    Physicians Assistant is a great option for an ILI, especially one who works in Endocrinology.

Professional/Business
    If you have interest in banking, teller would be a great starting point for this. Go apply at a bank.
    There are other options that are universally comfortable for anyone in this department.

Academic
    Take any field you love and go become a teacher in higher level
    Philosophy
    Psychology
    Quantum Physics

Creative fields
    Designer of objects
    Artist
    Musician
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    AT THE SAME TIME!
    redundancy whoosh

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My comments on this thread earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoutbox
    Maritsa Darmandzhyan Today 06:38 AM
    Invisible did you see my post in your thread?

InvisibleJim Today 06:39 AM
    Time get out of bed and go to work... Life fail.

I have a thread?

Maritsa Darmandzhyan Today 06:39 AM
    aww

What what

the one about careers

for ILI?

I thought it was yours

InvisibleJim Today 06:40 AM
    Oh, I though the suggestions were pretty uninspiring. I dont think I would leave the house to be a bank teller.

Maritsa Darmandzhyan Today 06:41 AM
    I asked a few questions that would allow me to analyze

and help me narrow options for you

InvisibleJim Today 06:41 AM
    Im a petroleum engineer. I design the most economic way of depleting oil fields.

It's true that with ILI, often they are much more comfortable in "freedom" giving professions

Maritsa Darmandzhyan Today 06:42 AM
    oh

so you must have a degree in something?

What is it exactly?

InvisibleJim Today 06:43 AM
    I think the sentence above is optimum

InvisibleJim Today 06:43 AM
    Otherwise I would need 1000 words

Maritsa Darmandzhyan Today 06:43 AM
    lol

Maritsa Darmandzhyan Today 06:44 AM
    an engineer but is it a higher degree?

Maritsa Darmandzhyan Today 06:44 AM
    like a PHD?

InvisibleJim Today 06:45 AM
    Well my first degree was a masters in chemical engineering, im doing my second while I work which is a Masters in petroleum engineering
    To answer the OP, ILIs work best in careers where they need to draw practical empirical relationships to deliver some kind of product. Better if the empirical relationships involve dealing with uncertainty and creative solutions.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dick inspector
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my uncle is a policeman

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many ILIs I know have rather boring and horrible office jobs. They seem to despise them, but somehow they remain attracted to their stability and relative ease. These are the typical environments where you can meet ESIs, aswell - even though the typical roles played by those two types will generally differe quite a bit.

Some, who are happier, are either self-employed or work in academia.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Te-ILI; 5w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a senior developer or team leader or something. I write software and I also tell the people in my team what's a good idea and what is not. I am OK with that job especially with the part where I discuss with people their ideas.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by exitmusic View Post
    redundancy whoosh
    Through the magic of duality or some shit the implicit is actualized.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bbut, that wasn't in any of the e-books, wikis or blogs. whoosh is on me then, as usual. :disappears in shame:

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Socionicist comes to mind.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    To answer the OP, ILIs work best in careers where they need to draw practical empirical relationships to deliver some kind of product. Better if the empirical relationships involve dealing with uncertainty and creative solutions.
    True, but human mind/body can be a "product" in development as well, which makes an ILI suited at Physician related careers as well.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan View Post
    True, but human mind/body can be a "product" in development as well, which makes an ILI suited at Physician related careers as well.
    As type is most often appears to me to be a function of life philosophy, are these genetic or learned?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    Through the magic of duality or some shit the implicit is actualized.
    Yeah I had something constructive to say, but instead I edited it out and replaced it with that to make sure everyone got the joke. It was a pretty funny joke I thought.
    Easy Day

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dream for the future is to become a video editor. I love splicing clips together, having power over those clips, and adding in music, deciding on the sequential order. I usually have and idea of what I want to do, but this may change as I go along, but completion is key. I just hope I can do something in the future involving creativity. I do a lot of art too, but it's more of a side thing. I would also want to be on the creative team for a movie studio. If I can't get a job at a studio, I want to edit on a smaller scale.

Currently, I have a clerical job, and I have had several others prior to this one. I am getting more new tasks at the job I am currently working at. I do data entry as well as put labels on bottles at a store. I am also taking classes and majoring in cinema studies.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

TIM
    ILI-Ni 5w4 LEVF
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Researcher in academia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12