Hybrid View

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quiz: Reading the Mind in the Eyes

Are certain types better at reading other people? Post your results!

Reading the Mind in the Eyes Test (Revised, Adult)

Edit: I guess I should put my score, which was 31/36.
    Last edited by calenwen; 03-29-2009 at 02:37 AM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

33 out of 36.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got 28. That was hard for me. I thought they all looked exactly the same.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wrote a paper about this assessment (as one of two evaluatory theory of mind tasks, the other based on pragmatics tasks by boaz keysar) hypothesizing that people high in openness and agreeableness would score well. in general i'd expect intuitives and ethical types to do well in theory of mind in general, although basically all people have some degree of theory of mind. i'd basically be interested if people could post their big five scores as well.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aestrivex View Post
    i wrote a paper about this assessment (as one of two evaluatory theory of mind tasks, the other based on pragmatics tasks by boaz keysar) hypothesizing that people high in openness and agreeableness would score well. in general i'd expect intuitives and ethical types to do well in theory of mind in general, although basically all people have some degree of theory of mind. i'd basically be interested if people could post their big five scores as well.
    I got a 33 and I score low in agreeableness & medium-high in openness. Conscientiousness: very low. Neuroticism: high. Introversion: Middling to high depending on my mood

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    hmm. I tend to score high in openness but very low in agreeableness on those Big 5 tests usually niffweed. I don't have a recent one laying about though.
    i remember the one listed on your facebook. it was fairly similar to mine; agreeableness probably 40-50%.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I only got 21. I lose!

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Out of curiosity I looked at what I got wrong...

like #5: I put sarcastic, not worried. Thing is I don't really judge "worry" highly, and when I look at it again, it's like it's tempting to just it as sarcastic, as it's not really important.

but then there are instances like #1: I put playful, not irritated. When I look at it now, he's got dark eyes. But to me in past it's been kind of fun to play on peoples irritation. And it's like I can be playful whilst others are irritated.

mm..

then #2 i got wrong, he was "upset" not "terrified". Well, what's the difference really. both will act out of sorts.

then #9 i put "annoyed" not "preoccupied", which actually reminds me... sometimes when someone has been preoccupied I can be like "are you annoyed" or like "is something bothering you" and both preoccupied, and being annoyed by somethign can be kind of similar to me. as well as bothered.

then #26 i put "alarmed" not "hostile". i suppose people can go hostile when they're alarmed.

HEH...

then #29 i put "impatient" rather than "reflective". *I* can get impatient when people are reflective.

So some of what I'm getting wrong is just because I'm taking the wrong "feeling" when there is more than one brought up at once.

Also looking back, a lot of them make sense and it's like it's harder for me when I'm not warmed up... it's like my awareness isn't that instant or always there.

But yeah, interesting. Now I just feel like I should redo it and get better sometime.

Hah other one is I put "guilty" when it was concerned. I suppose I find it kind of amusing the way I get things wrong.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I only got 27. The women with all the eye makeup were next to impossible for me to tell anything from.
    same about the eye makeup. lol

30/36.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I got 25. A few of them were tricky because it's like two were OBVIOUSLY wrong, and there were two that COULD be it... so it was like a 50/50 thing.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You know what else is really freaky?

That eye test...

If I found the eyes sexually attractive (in the man's) I usually got the answer WRONG. I wonder what that tells about us? Maybe sexual attraction covers up reading people psychologically....so you wouldn't analyze them, and you'd talk to them? *shrug* I don't know. But I read somewhere that romance/sexual feelings covers up the ability to accurately read people psychologically because if you could- you wouldn't give them a chance as you'd all too easily see their darker traits.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

21/36

I do terrible on these sorts of tests. I'm even below the average for Asperger/High Functioning Autism people (21.9)

How about that?

For most of them, I never felt sure I was right. I could usually rule out one or two possibilities but that was it. So it was alot of guessing.

I wonder if LII's typically score low on these sorts of tests. Reading facial expressions I think would be related to F and E and maybe even dynamic types since I think they'd be more likely to detect a minor change in someone's expression.

On the big five, I typically score high on introversion, high on openness, high average on conscientiousness, low average on neuroticism and the agreeableness score varies- probably somewhere in the middle.

So |R|coxI
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I wonder if LII's typically score low on these sorts of tests. Reading facial expressions I think would be related to F and E and maybe even dynamic types since I think they'd be more likely to detect a minor change in someone's expression.
    I got 29/36, and found it surprisingly easy. I thought I would be terrible at it.

Looking at the various scores in this thread, it doesn't appear to be correlated with type at all. Maybe subtype, perhaps? But I've been studying subtype so much lately, I tend to think everything is subtype.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

34/36. Most of them were incredibly easy. Only three or four took me more than a couple of seconds.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I got 29/36, and found it surprisingly easy. I thought I would be terrible at it.

Looking at the various scores in this thread, it doesn't appear to be correlated with type at all. Maybe subtype, perhaps? But I've been studying subtype so much lately, I tend to think everything is subtype.
    I would think harmonizing subtypes might do well at this. Then again, I suspect I may be a harmonizing subtype and I did lousy.

Probably not very subtype related either.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, but much of that went over my head :redface:

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    Does a high score on this test correlate with VI skills?
    Doubtful, because mine suck some major ballsack.

I guess this has been a humbling day.
    Stan is not my real name.

Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    Doubtful, because mine suck some major ballsack.
    lol that's a refreshing opinion.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got 34/36
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"embarrassed" and "confused" are too similar in the vocabularies
    in Chrome the flash is needed to be switched on by the button on left of the sites link field

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    I got 19 out of 36.
    Mb if there were used as examples people of Japan or at least Asian race your results would be higher. It seems as harder for me to type by nonverbal people of noneuropean alike races.

> It could be mostly cultural though (direct eye contact considered rude). I'm considered to have pretty high EQ by those around me.

sure, your results are too low. some additional factors made the testing as nonvalid
    Last edited by Sol; 10-05-2019 at 05:01 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post

"embarrassed" and "confused" are too similar in the vocabularies
    in Chrome the flash is needed to be switched on by the button on left of the sites link field

Mb if there were used as examples people of Japan or at least Asian race your results would be higher. It seems as harder for me to type by nonverbal people of noneuropean alike races.

> It could be mostly cultural though (direct eye contact considered rude). I'm considered to have pretty high EQ by those around me.

sure, your results are too low. some additional factors made the testing as nonvalid
    She is biracial sol. Not to mention she was born and/or raised in an English speaking country.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    She is biracial sol. Not to mention she was born and/or raised in an English speaking country.
    Seems this was not enough. I do not see other reasons for her results so much beyond average. I doubt she has an autism.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Well, @Sol is actually right, in this case. I pretty much never interacted closely with non-Asian people even still, except with teachers at school. 90% of my middle/highschool spoke a language at home other than English primarily, according to officially released data. My European father is probably high key autistic and ILI, and was born with an eye deformity that required surgery when he was younger. So he never moved his eyes normally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting exercise. 29/36. I missed two of the questions because I didn't go with my first thought. It was easier to choose the correct answer by first looking at the pictures and then derive an impression of the image, rather than read the answers first and then try to identify which response fits. Not sure if that means anything. Probably doesn't. : )
    Last edited by parcel; 08-29-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    EII

Creepy-male

Default Reading the Mind in the Eyes Test

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/image...stribution.JPG

Accompanying chart of distribution of scores.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/image...stribution.JPG

Accompanying chart of distribution of scores.
    What was the average? Like 26.2 if I recall and the Asperger's estimate score is in like the low 20s or so.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    What was the average? Like 26.2 if I recall and the Asperger's estimate score is in like the low 20s or so.
    I only scored 24. I really suck at this kind of thing. I might be Aspie or it may just be weak 1-D Fe to blame.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by LIIbrarian View Post
    I only scored 24. I really suck at this kind of thing. I might be Aspie or it may just be weak 1-D Fe to blame.
    Hey, that's what your duals and semi-duals are for anyway
    Last edited by male; 12-29-2014 at 08:13 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psychopaths also do really well on this test
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

35/36
    How do people not ace this test every time?

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

27/36

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

35/36
    ipsa scientia potestas est-adaequatio intellectus et rei

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

35/36

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

34/36

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

31/36

I gave myself to much poetic licence with the words. Really liked this test, thanks for posting.

Some of the women with eye shadow make-up threw me off. Probably what make-up is for anyway, to draw attention to the eye and also to confuse the viewer as to what the eyes are saying thereby creating mystery.

mystery
    Last edited by wacey; 12-29-2014 at 06:18 PM.

28/36

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

32/36

had to be focusing hard to be able to figure out what emotion I was mirroring. but it worked usually

in official big5 test I'm not high on either openness or agreeableness, in similarminds big5 I score higher on openness (b/c it's not standardized for age/sex)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

25/36, one higher than 2009.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

23. There were just too many that could go one way or the other for me depending on knowing more about the individual. I thought some could have been different or at least were not what I think of when I saw what emotion or thought they were trying to get across. They used a lot of stereotypes and other things besides just the eyes to make a conclusion. Ex. age, male/female

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast