Thread: Quiz: Reading the Mind in the Eyes

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quiz: Reading the Mind in the Eyes

Are certain types better at reading other people? Post your results!

Reading the Mind in the Eyes Test (Revised, Adult)

Edit: I guess I should put my score, which was 31/36.
    Last edited by calenwen; 03-29-2009 at 02:37 AM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

33 out of 36.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got 28. That was hard for me. I thought they all looked exactly the same.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wrote a paper about this assessment (as one of two evaluatory theory of mind tasks, the other based on pragmatics tasks by boaz keysar) hypothesizing that people high in openness and agreeableness would score well. in general i'd expect intuitives and ethical types to do well in theory of mind in general, although basically all people have some degree of theory of mind. i'd basically be interested if people could post their big five scores as well.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    hmm. I tend to score high in openness but very low in agreeableness on those Big 5 tests usually niffweed. I don't have a recent one laying about though.
    i remember the one listed on your facebook. it was fairly similar to mine; agreeableness probably 40-50%.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I only got 21. I lose!

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Out of curiosity I looked at what I got wrong...

like #5: I put sarcastic, not worried. Thing is I don't really judge "worry" highly, and when I look at it again, it's like it's tempting to just it as sarcastic, as it's not really important.

but then there are instances like #1: I put playful, not irritated. When I look at it now, he's got dark eyes. But to me in past it's been kind of fun to play on peoples irritation. And it's like I can be playful whilst others are irritated.

mm..

then #2 i got wrong, he was "upset" not "terrified". Well, what's the difference really. both will act out of sorts.

then #9 i put "annoyed" not "preoccupied", which actually reminds me... sometimes when someone has been preoccupied I can be like "are you annoyed" or like "is something bothering you" and both preoccupied, and being annoyed by somethign can be kind of similar to me. as well as bothered.

then #26 i put "alarmed" not "hostile". i suppose people can go hostile when they're alarmed.

HEH...

then #29 i put "impatient" rather than "reflective". *I* can get impatient when people are reflective.

So some of what I'm getting wrong is just because I'm taking the wrong "feeling" when there is more than one brought up at once.

Also looking back, a lot of them make sense and it's like it's harder for me when I'm not warmed up... it's like my awareness isn't that instant or always there.

But yeah, interesting. Now I just feel like I should redo it and get better sometime.

Hah other one is I put "guilty" when it was concerned. I suppose I find it kind of amusing the way I get things wrong.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

so i did it again, after looking at the answers, and i got 29.

that was even with using the zoom, that i didn't realise about at first.

and some of the ones i got right last time i got wrong!

overthinking i suppose. so many different eyes... argh...

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got 28. I never felt certain though. I was always like "Uhhhhh, this I guess?"
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I got 23.

I got 27, which is just about above avarage.

I tried really hard at every picture. What usually happened was that, what I thought the person was feeling wasn't even on the list, so I had to pick something else that was on the list.

For example, there's eyes that look bored to me, and I get a list that says:
    terrified
    amused
    regretful
    flirtatious

or tired, then I get:
    doubtful
    affectionate
    playful
    aghast

Then I'm like wtf?

I don't think I have ever in my life seen anyone irl (like not in movies, tv, etc.) who's eyes I thought were flirtatous. I know someone is being flirtatous, when they are all over someone.

---

According to a test, in Big Five, I have 85% openess and 65% agreeableness.
    Last edited by Warlord; 03-29-2009 at 08:03 AM.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

29/36 just a bit above average it seems.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    I got 27, which is just about above avarage.

I tried really hard at every picture. What usually happened was that, what I thought the person was feeling wasn't even on the list, so I had to pick something else that was on the list.

For example, there's eyes that look bored to me, and I get a list that says:
    terrified
    amused
    regretful
    flirtatious
    If you're reading bored I'g guess it was either terrified or regretful. I'd guess regretful.

It's a passive feeling, rather than an active. And being bored is a passive feeling.

or tired, then I get:
    doubtful
    affectionate
    playful
    aghast
    With tired I'd say it's either doubtful or aghast. I don't know anyone who uses the word aghast, so I'd guess doubtful. If someone's doubtful, they're not about to have lots of energy unless you energise them first. Such as by removing their doubt.

Then I'm like wtf?

I don't think I have ever in my life seen anyone irl (like not in movies, tv, etc.) who's eyes I thought were flirtatous. I know someone is being flirtatous, when they are all over someone.
    Then how do you block people who are just about to start flirting with you.

I've noticed some people have different ideas of what is considered flirting.

I mean if you make someone smile, does that mean you're flirting.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    If you're reading bored I'g guess it was either terrified or regretful. I'd guess regretful.

It's a passive feeling, rather than an active. And being bored is a passive feeling.

With tired I'd say it's either doubtful or aghast. I don't know anyone who uses the word aghast, so I'd guess doubtful. If someone's doubtful, they're not about to have lots of energy unless you energise them first. Such as by removing their doubt.
    Yeah those are possible. I don't think I picked anyone of those to be afraid, ahgast etc. There was maybe a couple of people who I thought were worried or something like that.

Then how do you block people who are just about to start flirting with you.
    I don't. I don't even notice if they are flirting with me. Sometimes I might after it has happened, to think the girl might have been flirting with me, because they were acting "weird". I kinda have a constant tendency to assume a worse situation.

So if it's a girl that I'm not interested:
    And she seems to eager to talk with me or something. Then I suspect she's interested, and I kinda want to avoid her. So she would stop being interested, so that it doesn't get to a point where I have to reject her.

If it's a girl, that I'm interested:
    Then I always interpret their behaviour, that they are just friendly and want to get know people better etc.

I'm quite dumbass at this stuff.

I've noticed some people have different ideas of what is considered flirting.

I mean if you make someone smile, does that mean you're flirting.
    I would just think that she is just a friendly person.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

32/36, and two of the mistakes made before I discovered the zoom feature (when I went through the report thingy, I agreed that 3 of those 4 were stupid mistakes, though obviously that's a conclusion reached with the correct result indicated). I got really bored with the test by about halfway through though.
    allez cuisine!

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Yeah those are possible. I don't think I picked anyone of those to be afraid, ahgast etc. There was maybe a couple of people who I thought were worried or something like that.
    Tired, bored, worried. What's the difference.

I don't. I don't even notice if they are flirting with me. Sometimes I might after it has happened, to think the girl might have been flirting with me, because they were acting "weird". I kinda have a constant tendency to assume a worse situation.
    Heh, I hate it when girls play with their hair a lot. It's like one of those things some girls do when flirting. And I just don't like it. So I tend to ignore girls like that.

I actually judge fliriting more on tone, and things said. It's the darker ones, who are less confident / sure of themselves that I don't notice, and are more subtle but still active.

Uhh, like, I've had girls flirt with me, and had someone else around or something, and been told that she was trying to flirt with me, and that I wasn't picking up on it - hadn't noticed. And to me it's like she was kind of boring -

I think ESFp's are the blatent flirts, who will flirt when you first meet them, and then kind of just stop. And do something else, and ignore you. Where you'll then find that their "friend" decides to try flirting now that the ESFp has got distracted.

So if it's a girl that I'm not interested:
    And she seems to eager to talk with me or something. Then I suspect she's interested, and I kinda want to avoid her. So she would stop being interested, so that it doesn't get to a point where I have to reject her.
    haha. Cute

If it's a girl, that I'm interested:
    Then I always interpret their behaviour, that they are just friendly and want to get know people better etc.
    Heh, yeah, I mean people have misinterpreted me wanting to get to know people better as flirting before too

Creepy-male

Zoom thing makes it easier.

I scored 23. I think I didn't answer some of the questions.

Anyway, some of those can only be read when the subject is moving or read from context. Like #34, the eyes looked happy. But all the words were "anxious". Anxious at WHAT? Were robotic pirate Lincoln ants with radioactive death tentacles raining from the sky or something?

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    Zoom thing makes it easier.

I scored 23. I think I didn't answer some of the questions.

Anyway, some of those can only be read when the subject is moving or read from context. Like #34, the eyes looked happy. But all the words were "anxious". Anxious at WHAT? Were robotic pirate Lincoln ants with radioactive death tentacles raining from the sky or something?
    i think the numbers don't always match up with the pics.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

34/36

I score extremely high on openness, and medium on agreeableness. This was really easy to me, and I actually think I could've gotten perfect if I had just paid a bit more attention because when I checked the two I had gotten wrong, I actually can't remember why I picked the ones I did. I think I did them too fast! ... The correct answers made perfect sense to me.

This is pretty interesting, I thought it would be much easier for most people, but I guess not.

Also, did not use zoom feature at all.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    I got 29.

Problems with this test:

I don't think this test truly tests mind-reading if it gives prompts. Having the prompts gives you a rather high (25%) chance of getting it right just because you had to put something in order to get to the next question, and also it gives a reference that you don't get in RL mind-reading.

It would be a better, probably more accurate test if it had a text field for the answer + an "NFI" option to go to the next question (or, if they implemented a timer, they would simply be sent to the next question without an answer when the time was up).

Another flaw is that, IRL, people don't hold those facial expressions for so long. In this test there is the opportunity to apply "rules of thumb" (for example, if one can remember under pressure that crinkles around the eyes = smile) that are cumbersome and less useful in RL mind-reading situations.

While RL facial-expressions are more difficult to test on a computer, if they implemented a timer it might also improve the test.
    basically i hear these concerns, but these tests are basically very good in that they get remarkably close to measuring well a very difficult thing to measure, even if you get a bit high due to chance; trying to have fill-in-the-blank style answers would basically be impossible to evaluate, since the variation in mental states is not exactly something easily segmentable.

this version of the test was developed in 2003; the original is from 1997 and basically was far more simplistic -- instead of 4 relatively incongruent mental states as answers, for example, there were 2 answers (ie serious/non-serious). the original test was still reasonably effective at differentiating high-functioning autistics from developmentally retarded individuals, however. for the purposes of understanding theory of mind ability as related to personality differences, however, be glad you're not taking that test.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The end is nigh

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    come on, someone get a lower result than me. Only subt is close!
    here ya go:

18/36

There were few of those I would have been right if I did not second guess it. Such as choosing "Thoughtful" or "Sympathetic" for example.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

29/36
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got 29, not too bad. I had 4 females and 3 males wrong hmm.
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    29/36

Here are my Big Five test results from the similarminds test

Extroversion - 24%
    Orderliness - 50%
    Emotional Stability - 24%
    Accommodation - 50%
    Inquisitiveness - 42%
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I got 25. A few of them were tricky because it's like two were OBVIOUSLY wrong, and there were two that COULD be it... so it was like a 50/50 thing.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You know what else is really freaky?

That eye test...

If I found the eyes sexually attractive (in the man's) I usually got the answer WRONG. I wonder what that tells about us? Maybe sexual attraction covers up reading people psychologically....so you wouldn't analyze them, and you'd talk to them? *shrug* I don't know. But I read somewhere that romance/sexual feelings covers up the ability to accurately read people psychologically because if you could- you wouldn't give them a chance as you'd all too easily see their darker traits.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    I think RLOAI fits me slightly better than RLOEI though (with accommodation\agreeableness being above 50% rather than below it).
    i agree.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got 31/36. Didn't see the zoom thing until question 12 since I was flying through it, but I'm happy with it. I'll edit in my big 5 stuff later when I get bored enough to take a test.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I thought it was easy, but only got a 24.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Openness: 5/6 creative, original, curious, imaginative
    Conscientiousness: 2/6 unreliable, lazy, careless, negligent
    Extraversion: 1/6 reserved, formal, pessimistic, independent
    Agreeableness: 4/6 good-natured, helpful, trusting
    Negative emotionality: 1/6 calm, secure, unemotional, relaxed

INTp

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I didn't answer the extreme left or right on anything. Results: Very Close-minded, Relaxed, Disagreeable, Conscientious, Slightly Extraverted. (O5-C74-E59-A22-N18)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Openness to Experience/Intellect

High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative.
    You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (Your percentile: 84)

Conscientiousness

High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent.
    You probably have a messy desk! (Your percentile: 10)

Extraversion

High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet.
    You are relatively social and enjoy the company of others. (Your percentile: 64)

Agreeableness

High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous.
    You find it easy to criticize others. (Your percentile: 10)

Neuroticism

High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy.
    You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things. (Your percentile: 93)

Yikes... this doesn't sound right?

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I only got 27. The women with all the eye makeup were next to impossible for me to tell anything from.
    same about the eye makeup. lol

30/36.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

21/36

I do terrible on these sorts of tests. I'm even below the average for Asperger/High Functioning Autism people (21.9)

How about that?

For most of them, I never felt sure I was right. I could usually rule out one or two possibilities but that was it. So it was alot of guessing.

I wonder if LII's typically score low on these sorts of tests. Reading facial expressions I think would be related to F and E and maybe even dynamic types since I think they'd be more likely to detect a minor change in someone's expression.

On the big five, I typically score high on introversion, high on openness, high average on conscientiousness, low average on neuroticism and the agreeableness score varies- probably somewhere in the middle.

So |R|coxI
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I wonder if LII's typically score low on these sorts of tests. Reading facial expressions I think would be related to F and E and maybe even dynamic types since I think they'd be more likely to detect a minor change in someone's expression.
    I got 29/36, and found it surprisingly easy. I thought I would be terrible at it.

Looking at the various scores in this thread, it doesn't appear to be correlated with type at all. Maybe subtype, perhaps? But I've been studying subtype so much lately, I tend to think everything is subtype.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

34/36. Most of them were incredibly easy. Only three or four took me more than a couple of seconds.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast