Thread: Quiz: Reading the Mind in the Eyes

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

27. A lot of them looked like neutral expressions to me, especially the more confident faces.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bump.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aestrivex View Post
    i wrote a paper about this assessment (as one of two evaluatory theory of mind tasks, the other based on pragmatics tasks by boaz keysar) hypothesizing that people high in openness and agreeableness would score well. in general i'd expect intuitives and ethical types to do well in theory of mind in general, although basically all people have some degree of theory of mind. i'd basically be interested if people could post their big five scores as well.
    I got a 33 and I score low in agreeableness & medium-high in openness. Conscientiousness: very low. Neuroticism: high. Introversion: Middling to high depending on my mood

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

got 30/36. Have been diagnosed with Asperger's. Though just above the average by four points, not sure if that's significant at all.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think certain states are bit less undifferentiated depending on how you function as a person. I like to be kind of puzzling and tend to think it as being positive thing.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got 19 out of 36. When I was younger I remember taking this and got either around the same or worse (it was either 12 or 20).

It could be mostly cultural though (direct eye contact considered rude). I'm considered to have pretty high EQ by those around me.
    Last edited by sbbds; 10-04-2019 at 01:37 AM.

TIM
    EII-Fi
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored 34/36 and the two i messed up on were my second guess
    ᶠᵃᵗᵉ

TIM
    D-ESI-Se 1w2
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hag and I took this together. We both scored 34 out of 36, the two incorrect answers being different between us.

This was easier than anticipated. IRL full body language makes this even easier. Truly hard-to-read people are rare af.
    "We live in an age in which there is no heroic death."

Model A: ESI-Se -
    DCNH: Dominant

Enneagram: 1w2, 2w1, 6w7
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/So

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"embarrassed" and "confused" are too similar in the vocabularies
    in Chrome the flash is needed to be switched on by the button on left of the sites link field

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    I got 19 out of 36.
    Mb if there were used as examples people of Japan or at least Asian race your results would be higher. It seems as harder for me to type by nonverbal people of noneuropean alike races.

> It could be mostly cultural though (direct eye contact considered rude). I'm considered to have pretty high EQ by those around me.

sure, your results are too low. some additional factors made the testing as nonvalid
    Last edited by Sol; 10-05-2019 at 05:01 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post

"embarrassed" and "confused" are too similar in the vocabularies
    in Chrome the flash is needed to be switched on by the button on left of the sites link field

Mb if there were used as examples people of Japan or at least Asian race your results would be higher. It seems as harder for me to type by nonverbal people of noneuropean alike races.

> It could be mostly cultural though (direct eye contact considered rude). I'm considered to have pretty high EQ by those around me.

sure, your results are too low. some additional factors made the testing as nonvalid
    She is biracial sol. Not to mention she was born and/or raised in an English speaking country.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    She is biracial sol. Not to mention she was born and/or raised in an English speaking country.
    Seems this was not enough. I do not see other reasons for her results so much beyond average. I doubt she has an autism.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Seems this was not enough. I do not see other reasons for her results so much beyond average. I doubt she has an autism.
    Idk. I took it in this thread a long time ago, before my browser had new modern security measures. I know all the right answers now so I will always get them right from now on. What I have seen cannot be unseen. I remember one thing about the link in op, the images, for me, were tiny so I mostly guessed. I took it on another site with large images and did much better. I clicked the link in op and got this:

Reading the Mind in the Eyes Test (Revised, Adult)

Reading the Mind in the Eyes Test (Adult Test)
    Return to the quiz software homepage.
    Sorry. You need to have both Javascript and Flash enabled to view this content.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What's the trick to getting this to work? Do I have to use internet explorer?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I clicked the link in op and got this
    Flash is disabled by the default in recent Chrome versions. It can be switched on manually for the concrete sites by the description above.

"in Chrome the flash is needed to be switched on by the button on left of the sites link field"
    Open the site. Press 'i' sign to the left of the browser's link field -> Site settings -> Flash -> "allow". Reload the page.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, @Sol is actually right, in this case. I pretty much never interacted closely with non-Asian people even still, except with teachers at school. 90% of my middle/highschool spoke a language at home other than English primarily, according to officially released data. My European father is probably high key autistic and ILI, and was born with an eye deformity that required surgery when he was younger. So he never moved his eyes normally.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    Well, @Sol is actually right, in this case. I pretty much never interacted closely with non-Asian people even still, except with teachers at school. 90% of my middle/highschool spoke a language at home other than English primarily, according to officially released data. My European father is probably high key autistic and ILI, and was born with an eye deformity that required surgery when he was younger. So he never moved his eyes normally.

I actually didn't have sbdds in mind, at first, when I read sol's post. I thought of my friend Uni (the one I mentioned in ancestry thread who is half Asian too). I had him do this test months ago and he got 31 correct. He was born and raised in the US by his Asian mom since his dad lived in a different state. He went to a school that was mostly Asian. He was also diagnosed with mild autism when he was in high school. He did well on the test so I am not sure how good this test is at determining asd or not. It has been revised due to issues. He said it was fine I share all this since it is relevant to the test. I wouldn't without asking him first.

He self types Delta NF, fwiw.

YWIMW

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash player required?
    Sorry, but I don't install ancient software crap on my pc.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    Flash player required?
    Sorry, but I don't install ancient software crap on my pc.
    lol yeah.

Here is another version of the same test. The images are larger too. http://socialintelligence.labinthewild.org/mite/

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I had him do this test months ago and he got 31 correct.
    This kind of tests may be useful to type T/F dichotomy. As F types would be suspected the ones with >= average+sigma results (I suppose sigma is 3-4 there, so >= 30). Also we got that the test mb not valid for people mostly communicated with other races since the childhood.

It's possibly to do an article: "The correlation between Jungian dichotomy T/F and EQ tests [or how else those are called]". It needs two tests: dichotomy and EQ. And >= 15 of people tested. Besides results of dichotomy test, there also may be results of the typing in general (as tests are not perfect). It's important to also input the results goten by a dichotomy test anyway, as it's a formalized testing method. EQ testing is better to do after dichotomy testing and the tested human should not know the results about own Jung type beforehand.

> He self types Delta NF, fwiw.

Among ethnical Asians I communicated with the most (we were in same uni group) was also a delta guy (SLI). An ethnically Korean (at least the father was from Northern Korea). He had a pal with seems ILE type, they could know each other from the school. He lives in USA now. His pal may visit USA regularly by job tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    I don't install ancient software crap on my pc.
    Chrome may to have it inbuilt.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chrome may to have it inbuilt.
    Thanks for the hint.

Same crap in a software packaging that phones personal data home...

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually didn't have sbdds in mind, at first, when I read sol's post. I thought of my friend Uni (the one I mentioned in ancestry thread who is half Asian too). I had him do this test months ago and he got 31 correct. He was born and raised in the US by his Asian mom since his dad lived in a different state. He went to a school that was mostly Asian. He was also diagnosed with mild autism when he was in high school. He did well on the test so I am not sure how good this test is at determining asd or not. It has been revised due to issues. He said it was fine I share all this since it is relevant to the test. I wouldn't without asking him first.

He self types Delta NF, fwiw.
    Idk how to describe this properly, but I think also, Uniden might present as more Asian, and more friendly maybe (delta NF vs beta ST), than I do. Maybe he got more expressiveness directed at him. Maybe he was surrounded by less deadpan people in general, idk (I grew up in the Pacific Northwest where it's rainy and cold all year round and people are emo AF, and poor struggling immigrants). It probably gets into specific details like that. It's interesting though.

Also the um Asian community I was raised in was really big/dense. Like it's famous worldwide for being like a new Hong Kong kind of. It wasn't just my school but my greater community too, with that basic demographic. I was kind of outcasted for it (thanks to presenting as more white or at least non-stereotypically-Chinese.. i.e. people would more commonly guess Japanese, Korean, Native American or Hispanic), yet there weren't many non-Asian people around me to interact with.
    Last edited by sbbds; 10-07-2019 at 12:42 AM.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

According this test I'm a High Functioning Autist.

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taken this before. 36/37.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw, there are only 7 universal emotional facial expressions. The rest vary by culture. Paul Ekman.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    According this test I'm a High Functioning Autist.
    I wished you shared scores for science.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Number 15 was the trickiest expression for me to understand - all of the options seemed plausible.
    Do they always show up in the same order? Was it this?

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you guys feel like you do better on this if you go fast and trust your first instinct, or if you take your time to make the decision?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Phoenix Fire it looks like they do show in the same order - that was the picture I referred to. To me those eyes could convey a range of emotions.

To answer your other question, I feel it's best to go with my first impression. How about you?

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Phoenix Fire it looks like they do show in the same order - that was the picture I referred to. To me those eyes could convey a range of emotions.

To answer your other question, I feel it's best to go with my first impression. How about you?
    Huh, interesting. For me that was one of the clearest ones because it shows some sort of anger related emotion. Very similar to the Kubric stare. Brows pressed in the center slightly, a certain intensity in the eyes. Sharp focus. Then 'irritated' doesn't demonstrate that same sort of focused, sharp gaze. It was 'accusing.' Personally, I struggled with the “playful” one, #2. I mistook it for comforting. I tend to have somewhat of a resting “angry” looking face, demonstrate anger/passion/intensity more than other emotions, and I'm overly serious…so I wonder if that pertains to which emotions people struggle more with. Is it a similar case with you and the accusing/anger one?

Hmm, for me it depends on the expression. I find it's best to slow down if I'm uncertain, but otherwise go with my first impression.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Fire View Post
    Huh, interesting. For me that was one of the clearest ones because it shows some sort of anger related emotion. Very similar to the Kubric stare. Brows pressed in the center slightly, a certain intensity in the eyes. Sharp focus. Then 'irritated' doesn't demonstrate that same sort of focused, sharp gaze. It was 'accusing.' Personally, I struggled with the “playful” one, #2. I mistook it for comforting. I tend to have somewhat of a resting “angry” looking face, demonstrate anger/passion/intensity more than other emotions, and I'm overly serious…so I wonder if that pertains to which emotions people struggle more with. Is it a similar case with you and the accusing/anger one?

Hmm, for me it depends on the expression. I find it's best to slow down if I'm uncertain, but otherwise go with my first impression.
    I didn't make the connection to the Kubric stare, but now that you point out the brows I realise that when I'm personally feeling disappointed or depressed I will frown just as I do when accusing or working out equations. At those times I happen to focus my eyes more, too.

It's the opposite when I'm content - at those times my eyes relax and scan around more and when I smile my eyes do narrow a bit - something I recognise in #2 eyes.

Not sure whether that answers your question. I am probably sensitive to a stare that could be read as accusing for reasons not type related.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Probably this has the strongest overlap

Social-communicative orientation

https://socioniks.net/en/article/?id=150

Hmm.. I certainly have gotten more tuned with it while my attention is not very reliable and obviously this method gives me plenty of time so probably this test favors NT more than ST. It tends to be bit withdrawal sort of thing so maybe communicative aspect is weaker in me. I think the dynamic orientation comes more with communicative aspects while the static measures it.

Then there is this whole subculture of body language "experts" (on YouTube etc). They take a very mechanistic approach while the truth is obviously blend of factors.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't make the connection to the Kubric stare, but now that you point out the brows I realise that when I'm personally feeling disappointed or depressed I will frown just as I do when accusing or working out equations. At those times I happen to focus my eyes more, too.

It's the opposite when I'm content - at those times my eyes relax and scan around more and when I smile my eyes do narrow a bit - something I recognise in #2 eyes.

Not sure whether that answers your question. I am probably sensitive to a stare that could be read as accusing for reasons not type related.
    I see. That's interesting. My eyes get less focused during depression.

I don't know, when I'm content I'm either neutral or stern/serious looking. I recognized the smiling, I just thought it seemed...I don't know, peaceful? More than playful. I guess my own playful look is different.

The stern/serious face is often the more relaxed one, actually, and I lighten up my outward self around certain others (such as distant relatives, coworkers, etc...I don't bother if it's in a store or someplace public, typically). I actively try to appear less hostile, more agreeable, even though on the inside I just feel calm, content, and neutral either way.

I avoid certain avatars on forums for the exact same reason, too...if I only used what I'm attracted to using based on what I relate to, I'd use almost nothing besides things like

DELETED

On the forums that seems too hostile, unapproachable, intimidating, and unfriendly, which just means it's going to make it to where I interact with combative children more than anything else probably. Lol.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 11-01-2021 at 06:20 AM.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed the test had all the women like "flirtatious, interested, desire, reflective," I feel like I could make a meme about the women being either with sexual overtones or like

That annoyed me.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

27/36 idk how much it has to do with interrelatedness translating one thing for me to mean multiple in and of itself, as emotions are also defined by contextual factors. dissapointed may also be accussing. and it can be accussing without being disappointed.
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myresearch View Post
    I wished you shared scores for science.
    Took it right now and got 24 out of 36. Probably I got the same or lower in the previous one.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Fire View Post
    I see. That's interesting. My eyes get less focused during depression.

I don't know, when I'm content I'm either neutral or stern/serious looking. I recognized the smiling, I just thought it seemed...I don't know, peaceful? More than playful. I guess my own playful look is different.

The stern/serious face is often the more relaxed one, actually, and I lighten up my outward self around certain others (such as distant relatives, coworkers, etc...I don't bother if it's in a store or someplace public, typically). I actively try to appear less hostile, more agreeable, even though on the inside I just feel calm, content, and neutral either way.

I avoid certain avatars on forums for the exact same reason, too...if I only used what I'm attracted to using based on what I relate to, I'd use almost nothing besides things like

On the forums that seems too hostile, unapproachable, intimidating, and unfriendly, which just means it's going to make it to where I interact with combative children more than anything else probably. Lol.
    Of the avatars you posted there, the first one would probably make me feel nervous about interacting with you - that's based more on the scowl than the eyes. The others might put me on edge until I got to know you better.

I thought that some of your avatars portray hardness and skepticism with their eyes and the body language and context of the image makes them seem immovable.
    It's very distinctive, so that if you were to change your avatar and username I might guess it is still you.

When you are limited to forum-only communication you get a feel for a person's attitude as they write more posts. Their avatar choice maybe represents just a small part of who they are but it's also the first thing that stands out beside their perspective. First impressions are obviously important - that's how I worked through this test after all.

Your comment about lightening up around close ones and being more neutral in public made me think of my retail job. When I serve customers who have stern expressions I probably gather more from their posture, perceived hurriedness and word choices to understand whether they're comfortable around my own demeanour.
    Occasionally I have thought that they might be having a bad day.
    Last edited by thistle; 11-02-2021 at 07:18 AM.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of the avatars you posted there, the first one would probably make me feel nervous about interacting with you - that's based more on the scowl than the eyes. The others might put me on edge until I got to know you better.

I thought that some of your avatars portray hardness and skepticism with their eyes and the body language and context of the image makes them seem immovable.
    It's very distinctive, so that if you were to change your avatar and username I might guess it is still you.

When you are limited to forum-only communication you get a feel for a person's attitude as they write more posts. Their avatar choice maybe represents just a small part of who they are but it's also the first thing that stands out beside their perspective. First impressions are obviously important - that's how I worked through this test after all.

Your comment about lightening up around close ones and being more neutral in public made me think of my retail job. When I serve customers who have stern expressions I probably gather more from their posture, perceived hurriedness and word choices to understand whether they're comfortable around my own demeanour.
    Occasionally I have thought that they might be having a bad day.
    This was rather useful, thanks for the insights. Oh, and yes, absolutely right about the avatars only being one part of the equation. It is an important one, though. It tends to mold my actual forum experiences to some extent. If avatars seem unfriendly I get fewer responses, and those I do get tend to be from trolls or those who also reciprocate the same unfriendliness (think) they perceive from me. Resting bitch face, I guess. Lol.

I wonder if body language/movements make a difference to you in that? Would you interpret the facial expressions differently then? When you observe your customers and wonder if they're having a bad day, does it register whether they seem tense and emotional VS just firm and (dignified? confident?) for instance? Here's what I mean by the latter:

Do you pay attention to/notice how you come off to others? Do you think the real you is more accurately portrayed by what you consciously try to come across as? The way I do about the fact that I'm approachable but my resting bitch face contradicts this sometimes, for example.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 10-29-2021 at 05:29 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Phoenix Fire it's nice having someone to interpret this stuff with and not feel that I'm over-analysing it.

I think the difference I notice (with confident people) is their proximity to me. These customers make it obvious that my assistance would be appreciated at a given moment. They move in a way that's unambiguous - it's obvious when they're ready to pay for their items, or that I should offer to take those unwanted items from them and put them on the returns rack.
    When customers are firm and stand in a tall way that fills space, I consciously fall into a role of being smaller. I try to not let my personality show through, in order to be professional.

With tense customers, I've noticed that they sometimes prefer that I reach out to them first, just a "how can I help?"
    On the other hand, when customers seem tense they might prefer if I don't interfere any more than necessary... so they return items to racks on their own.

Noticeable tension in a person probably reminds me of my own tensed, stressed self...so from that I project my own experience of having a bad day.
    I think the separation of different "postures" in my mind helps me differentiate between someone who is more dignified and unbending in how they present themselves vs someone who is experiencing emotions that prevent them from being expressive.

My own body language (in retail job and in general) is approachable - people walk up to me with their questions when I'm not obviously placed behind a counter.

Behind the counter I'll stand still with arms crossed in front of me but unlike the image you posted, my pose probably portrays shyness.
    Its more natural for me to be welcoming by indicating willingness to help. I try to not look too busy to pay attention to a person, so if they do make eye contact with me I tell myself to smile warmly

At the moment though, everyone in the store must wear a surgical mask. That might have been what inspired me to take this test about reading someone's eyes.

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123