Thread: Types and cooking

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Types and cooking

Hey guys,

So ive finally got out of home at my ripe old age and ive been faced with the task of cooking. My ISFj mother and sometimes ISTj father always did the cooking and i had never even tried. Interestingly dinner at our house was typically stock standard with meat and 3 veg and casseroles, although occasionally mum would do things like tacos. I do wonder slightly if their Ne polrs influenced their fairly booring meal choices or if it was more the era they were born in? (they are fairly old).

So im kind of enjoying it except i live on uni campus and we share a kitchen with so many people. Its about 2000 kelvin in there and when its Asian cookup night i dont even bother.. I have trouble remembering to get all the ingredients and planning what im going to make. Luckily a really nice ENTp has taken me under his wing and says hes impressed by how far ive come hehe. He is a good cook, last night he made this crumbed chicken and it was yummy.

My ESTj mate and his INFj girlfriend seem to be fairly good cooks. They would make nice curries and heaps of different things. One thing i noticed though is the ESTj would put in about 30 different spices. I did always wonder whether he knew what he was doing (i suspect he didnt), but he does have strong Si so i dunno! His girlfriend would bake gingerbread cookies, egg nog and brownies lolol just like the joke on the forum says!

So what are your thoughts on this subject? are you good at it? What types make the best cooks? I have in my head alpha's for some reason. ISFp's and ESFj's in particular. I do know an ISTp chef though, in fact maybe two!
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    My ESTj mate and his INFj girlfriend seem to be fairly good cooks. They would make nice curries and heaps of different things. One thing i noticed though is the ESTj would put in about 30 different spices. I did always wonder whether he knew what he was doing (i suspect he didnt), but he does have strong Si so i dunno! His girlfriend would bake gingerbread cookies, egg nog and brownies lolol just like the joke on the forum says!
    You're

DAMN RIGHT

So what are your thoughts on this subject? are you good at it? What types make the best cooks? I have in my head alpha's for some reason. ISFp's and ESFj's in particular. I do know an ISTp chef though, in fact maybe two!
    Alpha SFs, ime.
    ESTjs if their style is the same as yours.
    IMO I'm the best cook I've ever known, because I know how to make it exactly as I like.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I am a fairly good cook and baker... I have absolutely no idea how to cook anything involving meat, though.
    EII

I'll tell you what
    there is plenty wrong with me
    but I fixed up a few old buildings
    and I've planted a few trees.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes, in general, I am steadily growing a love for cooking. If I have time to do it and money to buy good things, I'm all for it. I def have my own style though. Practical, good foods. Nothing too "fancy" or "dressy". Lots of substance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm really good at certain involved recipes that i've "mastered."
    like....french onion soup (6 hours to make!), hummus (and i got dry chick peas too), lots of baking recipes.
    i'm pretty good at also telling people what ingredient to add to their recipes. my ese friend makes stuff all the time and i go "hey why don't you try this with it?!" and he always LOVES my suggestion.
    except.
    i HATE cooking.
    especially for myself.
    if i'm making a dish for a party, that's fun. but cooking to feed myself, 3 times a day, is so mind numbingly depressing to me. I never actually plan a meal for myself. I can't seem to understand the concept that I'd have to cook for myself like I would for a party. I'll normally just eat peanut butter when I feel hungry.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy cooking, but it's rarely something I have the will to do. Immediate family doesn't like the things I cook, and I don't really have anyone else to make things for. I'll occasionally treat myself to something a bit exotic, but it's rarely much point cooking for one. I tend to feel like I'm wasting it if I make more than I can eat in one sitting :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    Hey guys,

I have trouble remembering to get all the ingredients and planning what im going to make.

Me too... or else I manage somehow to get all the stuff and then, while preparing the great feast, wander off to check something online or out in the yard and burn the bread and who knows what else.
    IEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I both cook and bake for stress relief. The more involved or exotic the recipe the better. Cooking good food always helps me feel better.
    EII

I'll tell you what
    there is plenty wrong with me
    but I fixed up a few old buildings
    and I've planted a few trees.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eddikens View Post
    wander off to check something online or out in the yard and burn the bread and who knows what else.
    I used to do that at home. I would put noodles on, go back to my room and start looking at something. Then i would look at the time and realise the noodles have been cooking for 40 minutes. They can no longer be classified as noodles and have morphed into something more sinister. Fortunately i dont do that at the moment because my room is three flights of stairs away from the kitchen. I do often get all the way to the kitchen and realise that i dont have the main ingredient though. *doh!*.

I found this dude on youtube whos trying to get a cooking show going. At first he might seem a bit weird but hes growing on me. I think hes some kind of Alpha. I cooked his coke marinated steak the other night and it was pretty great. Kind of like 100 orgasms in my mouth.

ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure I'm delta but... CAN say for sure that ESE and SEI are really amazing cooks ! Thay can cook anything tasty from the craps in my fridge. Earthy pleasures, aaah *sigh*

Am a good cook, but cannot compare to this !! Besides... I can't resist when someone feeds me with such an obvious delight.

Creepy-bg

I can cook... although I prefer to keep it simple (bacon and eggs, and stuff like that) quick meals that I have down to a no-movement wasted process. (in the bacon and eggs example, I start with the bacon going in the microwave... eggs on the stove... bread in the toaster, four minutes later everything is done and on the plate)

as far as temps and timing... I have crazy skills I developed over the years working in a bakery. 9/10 I'm walking up to the timer when it goes off. I don't have to even think about it. I just put stuff in, set the timer, and go watch tv or internet or something, then something just goes off in my head that says "it's done".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree - alpha SFs are awesome cooks! I like to cook as well. I don't have trouble focusing, but sometimes I attempt more dishes than I can keep track of all at once. I'm working on simplifying. haha
    IEE

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scrambled eggs and steak are about the only thing I know how to cook. Anything that takes over 15 minutes, I'm not doing it.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Linalee View Post
    CAN say for sure that ESE and SEI are really amazing cooks !
    Certainly. I regularily eat in my SEI friend's house. It's light years beyond what I usually eat in my own house.

Living in a family of intuitives sucks sometimes...
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alpha SFs also sort of "feel responsible for feeding other people", which is nice. They are good friends to have, and you can be a good friend to them by making sure they don't go broke and over-feed people at their own expense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am INFj and I definitely enjoy cooking, and my family tells me that I am a good cook. I enjoy making healthy meals, and I love trying new foods. Sometimes it is fun to make complicated, gourmet meals, although I have to be in the right mood. My dad is ISFj and he is a good cook but is not extremely creative in his food choices. I tend to be very perfectionist with my cooking, while he just sort of approximates measurements and dumps them in a bowl.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My SLI mom is an amazing cook. She loves to experiment with healthy substitutes and her garden, and her meals usually turn out tasting good.

I'm a decent cook, but I'm not brave. I have certain meals that I like, and I stick to them. Maybe I'll change the amount of spices depending on my mood, but that's it.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by may; 07-25-2022 at 03:46 AM.

TIM
    Check the signature
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooking is ok but baking is where it’s at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Socionics is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have, but I have it.

I can't click “like” on peoples posts due to the poor functionality of the site on my end. Just know that if you quoted me and were nice to me that I’m psychically sending you a like from my heart.

Model G: IEI-CN
    Model A: Most likely ISFx
    MBTI: ISFP-A
    Enneagram: 9w8 5w6 2w1 sp/so
    AP: VELF 4231
    PY: FEVL

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delta ST, I'd assume - they're better at remembering how much to put in of a given thing
    But Si in the ego is generally what should predispose most to skill in cooking.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started cooking when I was young, because if I didn't cook, I couldn't stand my mother's cooking. I suffer all my very young years, when I was 7 I started experimenting. Baking is my love, but I can cook anything better than anyone I know.

With an EIE mother, it's a defense that took to little ILI me which shaped me to be very fussy about how anything is made, it has to be done correctly or I won't eat it.

Follow recipes, substitute where I want, make something from nothing, make stuff from memory, make something new, never make it the same, always make it the same, on and on food goes.

Cooking is type related, but it also does require experience.

I made sure all my kids can cook basics and at least one specialty meal. Encourage them to feed themselves and they'll always be able to eat good food an ILI, SLE, IEI, ILE ... of the four the ILI can cook but still needs more experience, the SLE doesn't give a S***, the IEI cooks, the ILE can, but wants anyone else to do the work instead.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTj roomate cooks all the time, so much the ILE comes to the apartment and asks "What's for dinner?!" lol.

It's the only time he Ne really comes out, he'll take any random ingredients in the house and end up making blueberry cornbread, or strawberry bbq sauce ribs. Definitely creative with the cooking.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate cooking. I don’t even remember the last time I cooked. Maybe a few months ago? I eat a lot of pb&js, frozen pizzas… . I pretty much eat whatever I find in the fridge. the less steps to making, the better. We also get take out a lot. The only time I really cook is baking, around the holidays mostly. My kids cook more than I do lol
    My 15 year old son is actually pretty good at it, imo.
    Last edited by Aster; 07-28-2022 at 07:38 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like it either, though I don't know if I've given it a fair chance. It's too much faff. I just about keep my house clean-ish. Cooking is going one step too far. I try to be healthy..ish. Yeah, I think I'd rather clean than cook so glamorous.

I can see the fun in baking

Total sweetheart PussyInASarcophagus's Avatar
    TIM
    SLE 8w9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIEs are good cooks surprisingly. IDK about delta, it's usually just basic recipes

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

cooking has a lot of Te in it, so I don't like it. but depends on the meal you're talking about. I enjoy cooking a few side dishes around Thanksgiving time. And I like baking cookies from time to time lol.

I personally loathe when people try to be politically correct and make a foreign dish that would probably taste good to the race that eats it but to you it tastes like vomit. I didn't fit in when the uppity liberals I was semi-friends with ate a restaurant just because it sold fancy foreign food. I wanted to say 'this tastes like ass, I want a McDonald's cheeseburger' but I guess that would be inappropriate.

I like watching competitive cooking shows. I like Gordon Ramsay as I think he's a faux-asshole that is playfully pushy with others for tv ratings but in reality he's a nice guy and even a bit of a sweetheart. Tyler Florence seems like a stereotypical high Te valuing asshole though, his personality is kind of grating to me as it's 'overly self confident' in the way Te people usually are.

Chefs usually have arrogant and narcissistic personality traits. I'm kind of the opposite, not that I'm 'better' just DIFFERENT- but might explain why. My sister's ex-boyfriend is a Chef and he's kind of this narc str8 male charming douche type. Very extroverted and life of the party and arrogant and manipulative. I lack confidence, hate manipulating people (but will do it if I must- sadly you usually have to do that in the real world) and very introverted etc. He's a good cook and I like a lot of his dishes but he also has a bad habit of undercooking his food.

Restaurants often need chefs, but chefs quit because working as a chef is often demanding and noisy and loud and not romantic and smelly and loud and hot and loud and bossy and rude and pushy and unfair and unglamrous and shitty- so you always see 'Chef wanted' signs but not a lot of Chefs. when me and my ILE friend ate out, the Chef was new at his job and ruined our meals- but I just felt bad for him because I know what it's like and he was just a young kid dealing with the social pressures of the cruel Te job world. I would fucking hate a 'Karen' jumping all over him like he was supposed to be top tier chef right away at his new job, maybe this is what people mean when they say IEIs are nice about people's vulnerabilities.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom is Cajun/Creole and she taught me to make a lot of southern dishes. She can really cook anything and passed her skills to me, but I can't cook quite as well.
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the ability to cook some kinds of dishes
    I have been told so many times that the dishes I cook are delicious

However, in my daily life I Just eat sandwiches, because they are quick to prepare and delicious and do not require much

I always end up relying on my mom for cooking, because I have more important things to do in my daily life ( Sp blindspot play a role too although it was a little bit hard to me to find out that I'm one )
    Souls know their way back home