Thread: Remembering intertype relations

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Remembering intertype relations

What are some quick ways to determine the relationship between any two random types? It's good to have a function-based understanding of intertype relations, but for determining them quickly, something even more immediate would be nice. Some relations are fairly apparent (quasi-identical, contrary, dual, conflicting, etc), and most of the rest aren't bad, but I have trouble with illusionary and semi-dual. The "easy-to-remember charts" at socionics.com are okay but not ideal (http://socionics.com/rel/charts.htm). I guess it also depends on which naming convention you use. I still think of things mostly with the four-letter acronyms, but it seems like intertype relations would probably easier with the three-letter acronyms, especially since the base function for introverted types is more apparent.

Any suggestions?

For the four-letter acronyms, here's what I currently do when I'm in a hurry (not very elegant, I know):

Quasi-identical: j vs. p (last letter differs)
    Contrary: E vs. I (first letter differs)
    Conflicting: all letters differ
    Super-ego: middle two letters differ

Mirror: same ego functions / first and last letters differ
    Dual: first three letters differ
    Activity: pair of introverts or extroverts from the same quadra
    Identical: ---

Look-a-like: between perceiving types, perceiving function differs, between judging types, judging function differs
    Comparative: between perceiving types, judging function differs, between judging types, perceiving function differs

Semi-Dual: same base function as your dual / is the dual of your comparative (and the comparative of your dual)

Illusionary: same base function as your contrary / is the dual of your look-a-like (and the look-a-like of your dual)

Supervision and Benefit: if the two types are from adjacent quadras and differ in j/p, they will have a relationship of supervision or benefit. If one is E and one is I, it's supervision, and if both are E or both are I, it's benefit. To determine direction, there are two "rings" of benefit/supervision that point in opposite directions. I just remember them by remembering which one I'm in.

Creepy-

I actually have several methods that I use. This one is based on specific functions:

Method #1

Prerequisite knowledge: order of functions for types in question.

The general idea is to figure out where your functions are in comparison to theirs. This is my approach…

For ease and speed I consider only the Ego, Super-ID and the PoLR. I group each of the relations in pairs. The first thing you should generally check is the base function (failing that, the creative function should tell you what you need to know). The other functions are important but if you’re only trying to figure out which inter-type relation you can save time by ignoring them

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If their base function = your base function, they are your Identical or Comparative.
    ----------> If their creative function = your creative function, they are your Identical. (obviously)

If their base function = your creative function, they are your Mirror or Supervisee.
    ----------> If their creative function = your base function, they are your Mirror.
    (Alternatively, if your base function = their PoLR, they are your Supervisee)

If their base function = your suggestive function, they are your Dual or Semi-Dual.
    ----------> If their creative function = your hidden agenda, they are your Dual.

If their base function = your hidden agenda, they are your Activity or Beneficiary.
    ----------> If their creative function = your suggestive function, they are your Activity.
    (Alternatively, if your creative function = their suggestive function, they are your Beneficiary)

If their base function = your PoLR, they are your Conflict or Supervisor.
    ----------> If their creative function = your base function, they are your Supervisor.

Else…

If their base function =/= your base, creative, PoLR, hidden agenda or suggestive function…

(We’re out of base functions but notice we’ve narrowed it down a lot.)

If their creative function = your base function, they are your Mirror or Supervisor. (see above)

If their creative function = your creative function, they are your Identical (see above) or Look-a-like.

If their creative function = your suggestive function, they are your Activity (see above) or Benefactor.

If their creative function = your hidden agenda, they are your Dual (see above) or Illusionary.

If their creative function = your PoLR, they are your Comparative (see above) or Super-Ego.

Else…

If their functions are all the “same” except for I/E, they are your Contrary.

MBTI acronymns only: If their letters are all the same except for J/P, they are your Quasi-Identical

ENDIF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More to come when I finish writing them down!

Creepy-

METHOD #2

The idea: Process of elimination

If I am an introvert… (just swap the groups around for extroverts)

My Conflict, Contrary, Dual, Illusionary, Mirror, Semi-Dual, Supervisee and Supervisor are all extroverts.

My Activity, Benefactor, Beneficiary, Comparative, Identical, Look-a-like, Quasi-Identical and Super-Ego are all introverts.

If I am an irrational… (just swap the types around for rationals)

My Activity, Benefactor, Beneficiary, Conflict, Mirror, Quasi-Identical, Supervisee and Supervisor are all rationals.

My Contrary, Comparative, Dual, Identical, Illusionary, Look-a-like, Semi-Dual and Super-Ego are all irrationals

I never go any further than this (too tedious, not my favourite method anyway), but it’s can be useful to just narrow it down a little.

Creepy-

METHOD #3

Using MBTI acronymns ( at self).

(Pardon my INFp bias, it's easier to pick my own type than think of a different example for each one))

Sharing all letters = Identical (INFp/INFp)
    Sharing only J or P = Dual (INFp/ESTp)
    Sharing only E or I = Activity (INFp/ISTj)
    Sharing only middle letters (NF, SF, NT, ST) = Mirror (INFp/ENFj)

Sharing no letters = Conflicting (INFp/ESTj)
    Sharing all letters bar I/E = Contrary (INFp/ENFp)
    Sharing all letters bad J/P = Quasi-Identical (INFp/INFj)
    Sharing I/E and J/P (but nothing else) = Super-Ego (INFp/ISTp)

The others are less straight-forward... it's far easier to use method #1. But here I go...

Sharing only 1 of the middle letters (S, N, T, F) = Supervision (INFp/ENTj, INFp/ESFj)
    Sharing J/P and "primary" letter (associated with base function) but nothing else) = Illusionary (INFp/ENTp)
    Sharing J/P and "secondary" letter (associated with creative function) (but nothing else) = Semi-Dual (INFp/ESFp)
    Sharing I/E and 1 middle letter (but nothing else) = Benefit (INFp/INTj, INFp/ISFj)
    Sharing all letters except "primary" letter = Look-a-like (INFp/ISFp)
    Sharing all letters except "secondary" letter = Comparative (INFp/INTp)

The last ones are far too cumbersome...

Or you know... you could just write the shit down.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sycophant
    Or you know... you could just write the shit down.
    Yes but I think those rules are useful -- sometimes I'm double-checking typings in my mind, seeing if alternative scenarios would work, and thinking, "now is the ISFp the INTp's benefactor, super-ego, or what?"
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Creepy-

METHOD #4

Intertype Relations by Association.

Relations to be aware of: Contrary, Comparative, Look-a-like, Quasi-Identical, Dual, Conflict. These are easy to figure out by themselves.

Your Dual's Comparative is your Semi-Dual.
    Your Dual's Look-a-like is your Illusionary.
    Your Dual's Contrary is your Super-Ego.

Your Conflict's Comparative is your Supervisor.
    Your Conflict's Look-a-like is your Supervisee.
    Your Conflict's Contrary is your Activity.

Your Quasi-Identical's Comparative is your Benefactor.
    Your Quasi-Identical's Look-a-like is your Beneficiary.
    Your Quasi-Identical's Contrary is your Mirror.

Identical is once again obvious

I'm still partial to method #1...

Creepy-

While I prefer Method #1, if you're underconfident the other methods can be handy to "check your work".