Thread: For those of you wanting to learn Russian

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default For those of you wanting to learn Russian

Socion.info Russian Language Course and other Information, will be updated with new info every few days for a few months ...

http://socion.info/cgi-bin/russlangcourse.cgi

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great! But for those who don't have a Russian course and need fuller coverage, here is also a complete course on Russian, free and on the internet: http://www.princeton.edu/russian/SLA101/
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woah, thanks cone ... that is also pretty helpful ...

Creepy-

Thanks very much!

Creepy-bg

Wow... thanks for the effort!

Do you already speak Russian rmcnew? Or are you learning along with us?

BTW a good tool for helping out with the verb conjugations, case paradigms, and idiomatic phrases is Lexicool... I posted this before but here it is again.

http://www.lexicool.com/dictionary_m...sh_russian.asp

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I am taking a college course in Russian. You are welcome ...

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reuben, I found some typos on your site:

Аспиант - > аспирант
    Учимелв -> учитель.
    Молодещ -> молодец.
    www.socioniko.net is no longer my site.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Section 1 - beginning russian ...

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This manual contains the same typos as I mentioned in another topic of this forum.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri Lytov
    This manual contains the same typos as I mentioned in another topic of this forum.
    I tried to figure out which typos you were pointing out, but the words were formatted funny and I could not tell which words, since they were not in latin or cyrillic.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...strange... everything I saw at your site was either in Cyrillic or Roman letters. If you do not see Cyrillic letters, how do you expect other people to learn Russian from your site?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nevermind, I found out what you ment ... the reason it was not showing up is because most American manufactured computers do not have Cyrillic fonts installed onto their system.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

asperant and uchetel were mispelled ...

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is at least one reason for an American to learn Russian.

The Russian Internet, compared to the English-language Internet, contains a lot of information about all possible spheres of knowledge. It is a paradize for spies

The American Internet is meager: you can find a fragment of information, when you want to get more, you are asked: pay $20, pay $100, pay, pay, pay...

Usually Russians perceive information as something vitally necessary like bread and water, and for this reason they consider selling information and buying information as something shameful, not too good. For this reason, Russian legislation about copyright is much more liberal than American. This, however, has negative effects as well: 1) piracy of intellectual products (which is ignored by our government); 2) a lot of unreliable information is published.

I am not judging either Americans or Russians; I just describe the difference. And, moreover, this difference is only generic, and exceptions are numerous.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, well, well.. have you ever thought why so many people left Russia and fled to America. Even living in America they keep criticizing those "stupid Americans"... but they never, never, never want to come back to Russia, and in some years or decades become those "stupid Americans" whom they criticized.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a Russian proverb: Elsewhere is always better than here.
    Americans probably have an analog of it.

Each culture has its pluses and minuses. When you emigrate, it's just a question of what you get and what you lose. In XVIII and XIX centuries, when Russia was stable, lots of Europeans immigrated to Russia (mostly from Germany, France, Scotland and Poland). Later, however, the Russian political climate became pretty hot, and from that time Russians used to escape to Europe and the US. I cannot exclude a possibility that the same thing may happen with the US, but not during our lives.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Globalization of economy may play a dirty trick with the US. Not today, but in some years or decades definitely.

There is a lot of wild dollars roaming all over the world. Today the whole world uses dollars a a sign of credit to the principles of fair game used in American economy. This reminds me a financial game called "The Pyramid". However, each financial pyramid collapses sooner or later. What will happen then? I do not want to think about it. It will be very, very unpleasant time.

Creepy-pokeball

Thanks Dmitri. I like America very much

Creepy-bg

For me, as a child brought up in the pre-internet age when the electronic world was one of BBSing I found the capitalization of the internet particularly distastefull. Back in the day we used the electronic medium (in the US) for the free exchange of information and software (copyrights be damned!). I believe in the old hacker ethic of "information wants to be free!" It's silly to try to reign in information.

The internet at it's core is still driven by the hacker community. If you know where and how to look- everything online is free. You simply need to learn how to get it, and alot of hackers like nothing better than to teach others how to do what they do. This keeps the system going and creates a fog of millions to thwart the powers that be from ever gaining an edge over the system.

I also agree with Dmitri... the Russian internet is a beautiful place where almost all doors are open. It's so much simpler that way.

http://okh.nm.ru/materials/PeresleginEsse.htm

I don't know exactly what this site is about but the information within is very interresting. If the dates of the articles are correct it would almost seem to predict events. I remember reading something which nearly exactly lays out the Danish cartoon situation- dated years ago. Whether a plan or simply a projection I do not know...

A number of articles also address the "nasty surprise" Dmitri alluded to surrounding the US economy as well as the possible "true" geopolitics behind globalization. The new Great Game and such... Amazing, interresting information which I do not think would just be "lying" out in the open on the English internet.