Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Synesthesia, and my Room color, and the Matrix

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Synesthesia, and my Room color, and the Matrix

Ok... I mentioned some time ago that I have this thing where I used to find similarities between people as a kid and I linked these similarities to colors. Like if I was around an ENFj and then an ESFj I would notice some kind of similarity and difference. The similarity () would be labeled with the color red, and so forth. I recently realized that these colors I had in my head linked to people I knew actually represented the cognitive functions as follows.

= Black
    = Brown
    = Pink
    = Red
    = Light Blue
    = Dark Blue
    = Light Green
    = Dark Green

Recently I noticed that I had painted my room using a lot of green and my furniture is all black. I also noticed that in the movie, Matrix, which was designed explicitly for NT's has a ton of black and green in it (which is also a hacker theme). Many T types I noticed like to wear black as well. They also say that green is the color of intelligence, which makes sense in a stereotypical way (if N types are in fact more intelligent, which they are thought to be by society). I see many more connections. I am really curious why I associated these colors witht he people, why not other colors? Btw... for anyone curious how I experience the synesthesia, it goes like this... I experience the person's personality by observing them or speaking to them, and eventually the type of information they think about or speak about, or even the look in their eyes or energy level, makes me feel a color associated with them, almost like their name with them. Except I experience the color visually, like any other time I think of a color. I see both the primary function and secondary. Though the primary is much easier to see. My theory why I see the introverted functions as the lighter version of the extraverted is because they are probably harder to see, and thus come out as less intense, yet capable. Black and brown are an exception, which I think is subjective, because I posses and see as something judicial which reminds me of the color of wood, found is court or executive places.
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can u record your visuals and then upload them? i like colors too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The things that synesthetes connote with color seem to be random not necessarily type related.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is only related with personality... maybe my lack of feelings as a kid forced me, as a survival strategy, to use my intuition to categorize types of people by how they work, and match them up using some kind of universal legend, such as shades of color. But like I said I dont actually see the color. I just have an association with it, and I feel the color just as I would if I were to think of a color at any given time. The person would just remind me of the color.
    -Slava

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm not the only synesthete that exists! Interesting color preferences, Slava, but wait until you hear mine.

We'll start with numbers. The digits 0-9 have distinct colors, and numbers after that are just combinations of colors corresponding to the individual digits:

0 - clear
    1 - white
    2 - yellow
    3 - sky blue
    4 - red and sky blue mix
    5 - bluish silver
    6 - orange-red
    7 - green
    8 - this one's hard to explain. It's kind of like a translucent green, only there's a certain three-dimensional quality to it, like green-clouded glass.
    9 - bright red
    10 - hay yellow (this is the only two-digit number that has a distinct color.)

I have distinct colors for the alphabet also, but I want to get to colors of the types. If you guys want to hear about them, just ask.

Ok, type colors:

ISTj - yellow-orange
    ISTp - yellow/black
    ISFj - green-yellow
    ISFp - yellow
    INTj - red
    INTp - red/purple
    INFj - dark green
    INFp - dark green/purple
    ESTj - orange-red
    ESTp - yellow
    ESFj - yellow
    ESFp - yellow-orange
    ENTj - green/clear
    ENTp - light green
    ENFj - red/purple/green
    ENFp - blue/green/red/purple (the most complex and my favorite, strangely enough)

How do you like my synesthesia?
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slava
    They also say that green is the color of intelligence, which makes sense in a stereotypical way (if N types are in fact more intelligent, which they are thought to be by society).
    Actually, according to my synesthesia, green is the color of emotional depth (thus green is associated with INFjs especially.) White is the color of intelligence and intuition. Yellow is the color of sensing. Red is the color of introversion. Not sure about extraversion. Thinking is either gray, white, or black. Feeling is either light or dark green. Judging is light blue (seems that color comes up alot, that and green or red.) Perceiving is light red.

Quote Originally Posted by Slava
    (if N types are in fact more intelligent, which they are thought to be by society).
    Most people would agree that I am the most intelligent person in my entire school. But I'm not saying that you're not smart...
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish mine was setup so that my numbers coresponded to VGA 4bit color codes . My numbers are like this...

0 - Black
    1 - White with black outline
    2 - Brown
    3 - Red
    4 - Yellow
    5 - Dark Brown
    6 - Dark Blue
    7 - Black
    8 - Dark Green
    9 - (weak color association) maybe yellowish blue transparent?

If I cross match my numeric synesthesia with my cognitive function synesthesia it will look like this...

- 0, 7
    - 2, 5
    - (N/A)
    - (N/A)
    - 9?

Anyone see any patterns by any chance?
    -Slava

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish mine was setup so that my numbers corresponded to VGA 4-bit color codes
    Oh, heh, yeah...never noticed that before...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gyus i'm going to write a book about you two.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/reith2...2003_oxford.rm

Everything you wanted to know about crazy people like us...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

//

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting...
    I have an INFp friend that does the same.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I guess synesthesia is not type related, then.

Creepy-

Its probably not type related, but I bet the choice of associations would be on average.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never really had any experiences with synesthesia, maybe it is type related, maybe not. I do not seem to be a visual thinker at all, sad in a way - but what can you do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my Intuition of Time tells me that it's Intuition of Time related

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it has something to do with an ability to create your own continuous multidimensional internal categorization system for finding patterns and similarities between things. For example, my synesthesia isn't just a bothersome thing, but it allowed me as a child to classify people using colors, rather than socionics. The pattern was spotted and it had significan timportance to me, and my brain decided to link it to some kind of absolute values, or colors and feelings.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw: my father has this too, he is an ISFp, he is really amazingly good at doing geometric calculation in hi shead. He once showed me this problem he solved where you see a 3D object from only a few given angles, and you are supposed to fill in the missing parts to complete the geometric shape (Almost like a visual logic, because sometimes if you don't have enough info you have to say that it could be like this or that). I think synesthesia is linked to a form of giftedness and is a useful tool for specific kinds of problems.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should listen to the sound bite I posted. Transigent is right; there are a small number of neural connections between the color section and the visual section of the brain for true synesthetes. Actually, my synesthesia used to be heavy for numbers. Now, I really don't see colors for numbers anymore, but rather for musical notes (since I play the piano.)

Interesting thought on the visual logic of your dad, Slava.

Your INTp friend,

Cone

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Transigent
    This is truly facinating.

Here is an interesting stat:

The probability of having 2 (or more) people with synesthesia on this forum is about 1 out of 1000.

Either this is chance, or there is some kind of a correlation between synesthesia and interest in socionics enough to be driven to post on a message board about it.
    Two things... in small populations drift is high and it may be correlated to N somehow as that appears to be the dominant type on this board.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tendency for populations to vary widely statistically (especially in genetics though that's not what I was refering to).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    Two things... in small populations drift is high and it may be correlated to N somehow as that appears to be the dominant type on this board.
    What is drift?
    I think it has to do with the genetic pool. If the population is small then you get a wider span of genetic mutations and the bell shaped curve is flatter. Smaller populations can thus start to differentiate themselves from other larger populations and develop their own genetic markers over time. This was last seen when "races" of humans began to develop common physical characteristics. What would have happened had the "races" remained isolated from each other is anybody's guess.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's where the idea comes from. Evolutionary change is greatest in the least amount of time in "small populations" though obviously the term is relative. I did not mean it in that sense though but in the sense that the smaller your sample size (statistically) the more it CAN deviate from the norms. What if Cone and Slava were the only ones logged in tonight at 22:05? Then your population (of those logged onto this site) would be 100% synesthetes but the sample population is too small to say anything reliable.

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_drift

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even better.

The genetic stuff is quite interesting, though. Now they've been able, through genetic sampling, to map humankind's physical movement through time. And geneticists even think they've confirmed once and for all the cradle of Africa.

What I think would be even more interesting at some point in the distant future is to look at the evolution of certain personality types . . . how did certain ones evolve? Is there one club that is the wellspring of the others? For example, were the first humans sp's?

Cool to think about.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    The genetic stuff is quite interesting, though. Now they've been able, through genetic sampling, to map humankind's physical movement through time. And geneticists even think they've confirmed once and for all the cradle of Africa.
    I dispute that evidence for many reasons but even if I didn't I'm not sure it 'means' anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The book I read seemed pretty convincing. You say you dispute the evidence, but offer no evidence to support your assertion.

It probably does mean something. It probably means something about the evolution of our species and a bit about genetic variation in our species and how much further variation there will be.

What if we are maxing out?
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The book I read seemed pretty convincing. You say you dispute the evidence, but offer no evidence to support your assertion.
    I tend to do that with my really unpopular/personal opinions sorry. I will not be clarifying I just wanted it "on record" that I disagree.

The concept of drift (aside from the obvious genetics nomenclature practicallity) doesn't seem to be profound enough to have it's own "name".
    I like to make up my own terminology *shrugs*

...possibly there is a connection.
    Possibly but not probably.

I think it is the hypothesis that synesthesia is related to N that isn't corroborated when scrutinized by the concept of "drift" or "sample size error".
    I was arguing for and against my own proposition in the same breath. Aren't I wonderful )?

...the error would be such that it would dwarf any pragmatic interpretation of the projected population mean.
    That was my original point. You seem to repeat my words back to me as if either you did not understand my original point or you think I did not understand all of what came out of my mouth. Are you sure you're not ENFP? That is the *sense* I am getting and I think you are educated and an intellectual so please don't interpret that as attacking your intelligence.

Anyway, I enjoy the discussions we have so keep em coming I will be lurking in the dark with a dagger ready to slit your gullet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Homo Erectus

A recent study of several nuclear gene localities have shown that the polymorphism observed among modern humans is such that the time to the most recent common ancestor for these genetic systems is much longer ago than merely 100,000 years, meaning that there must have been considerable genetic input to modern humans from hominids who were not themselves modern. While the authors argue for an Out of Africa viewpoint, to me it really doesn't matter where the non-modern hominids lived, be it in Africa or Eurasia. The data clearly shows that we have lots of diversity in our nuclear genome which clearly indicates that there is genetic input from non-modern hominids.
    http://home.entouch.net/dmd/hegene.htm

The dominant opinion still a few years ago was that modern humans evolved in Africa couple of hundred thoudand years ago and then totally replaced the existing Neanderthal and Homo Erectus populations. This was mainly based on analyzing mt-DNA and Y-chromosomes that both point to a recent African origin for all humans. Studies on nuclear DNA do now seem to point at some admixture with premodern humans. It was presumed that mt-DNA and Y-chromosomes have not been subject to strong selection, but this may not be the case, and thus their recent African origin may just indicate a selective sweep.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wait with what's happening with RNA evaluation right now. Also the interpretations of the data they make and the data are different things.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    I tend to do that with my really unpopular/personal opinions sorry. I will not be clarifying I just wanted it "on record" that I disagree.

The concept of drift (aside from the obvious genetics nomenclature practicallity) doesn't seem to be profound enough to have it's own "name".
    I like to make up my own terminology *shrugs*

...possibly there is a connection.
    Possibly but not probably.

I think it is the hypothesis that synesthesia is related to N that isn't corroborated when scrutinized by the concept of "drift" or "sample size error".
    I was arguing for and against my own proposition in the same breath. Aren't I wonderful )?

...the error would be such that it would dwarf any pragmatic interpretation of the projected population mean.
    That was my original point. You seem to repeat my words back to me as if either you did not understand my original point or you think I did not understand all of what came out of my mouth. Are you sure you're not ENFP? That is the *sense* I am getting and I think you are educated and an intellectual so please don't interpret that as attacking your intelligence.

Anyway, I enjoy the discussions we have so keep em coming I will be lurking in the dark with a dagger ready to slit your gullet.
    Ok, so you enjoy a good debate. So do I, actually. But you know, Pedro, sometimes you posts seem not only antagonistic but at times downright rude. What . . . do you have an issue with women or something?
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry lately I've been kind of stressed. There are women on this board? I thought you were the only one. Anyway, I respond to Cone and CuriousSoul the same way. I will try to amend my rudeness it was unintended (except in the existential arguements). Once again in all seriousness I apologize.

Seriously though who are the women?

Blaze, Pearl80, ... is that all?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate that.

There is also excaliburgirl and fever.
    Entp
    ILE

Creepy-

Seems like I always tend to make threads go WAY off track! Hahaha!

Anyway,

After dragging out my old college stats book, I found the section dealing with errors in estimating

proportions. Doing the math, I can state that there is a 90% chance that there is a certain amount of

correlation between synesthesia and posting on this board.

The magnitude of the correlation, I cannot say (50% chance that it may be quite small.)

In other words, there is a 90% chance that, given a billion years with the world existing in the same

fashion as it does today, that the percentage of synethsists on this board will be more than the

percentage of them in the total population. (q>p, where q is "fraction on the board", and p is "fraction

in the world" ~=1/2000)

Furthermore, there is a 50% chance that the fraction will be 20 times as much. (i.e. q>1%)

Actually, I can strengthen my "possibly a correlation (<50%)" to a "probably a correlation (>50%)"

based on this information.

I am not making these numbers up, I can give you the equations if you really want.

That was my original point.
    Not exactly. You said that drift would effect a conclusion of this type so much that it has little chance

of being valid. That seemed like a reasonable estimation, (even I was surprised at the actual

numbers) but the numbers above have shown that there is a 10% chance that you are correct.

Then you offered an alternative hypothesis, and that is that Intuitiveness has a correlation to

synesthesia. (Of course, I do realize that it was probably a flippant remark, "just throwing things out

there"; but for the sake of argument, I assumed you were serious.) So I pointed out that just because

there is an obvious one way correlation between posting on this forum and Intuitiveness, it does

not necessarily imply that there is a connection between synesthesia and intuitiveness.

Suppose there is 100 members in the forum, all Intuitive types. Next, suppose that 50 of them were

synesthists. A connection still cannot be logically created between synesthesia and Intuitiveness

based on this data. There is still a good chance that the correlation between Intuitiveness and posting

is so strong, that Sensory types are averse to posting on the board. Furthermore, there is a chance

that the correlation between synesthesia and posting on the board is so strong that all of the

synesthesiasts in the world of the Intuitive type are posting.

In this circumstance, all of the other synesthists would be Sensory types, only, they are averse to

posting on the board. So, one would think N is correlated to synth. based on prima facie

reasoning; however, the reverse is actually true.

You seem to repeat my words back to me as if either you did not understand my original

point or you think I did not understand all of what came out of my mouth.
    I have a habit of doing that. It is to make sure that I see your reasoning process correctly. (In other

words, I repeat things that other people say back to them to make sure that I know exactly what they

were thinking.)

Are you sure you're not ENFP?
    I could be. I give many of my friends advice on how to handle thier emotional and social situations,

and the only advice I ever seek is on how to be professional and serious.

However, I am thinking that has more to do with being smart and embarassed about it. I hate to

come across as a know-it-all.

I almost NEVER critizize somebody on thier intellegence, and I usually overestimate people in

relation to this aspect. I know this and I still do it. It takes a couple of weeks to realize that most

people are full of shit, and after double checking thier reasoning and facts I see the truth. Since to

many of these people, I am often wrong--and I DO trust their judgement, and double check

myself--then I realize that I was overestimating them. But it hurts to even write about this

anyonymously; I feel like an arrogant prick for writing this.

However, I will make quick judgements about what kind of a person they are, and lightly

critizize them on how they relate to others, and what other people think about them; though many

times, I am wrong in my estimations of a person: usually I see things as good or evil with no

inbetween. It used to be bad when I was younger, but now I am more concious of the "grey area" of

most people; that is, most people don't always try to be good OR bad--many don't give it much

thought, it just happens.

Oh, and IxTx and XXTJ people make me uneasy, they seem so uptight.

So, sure I could be ENFp, and that would make some sense, but for some strange reason I think that

I am a T. (Though there is a very good chance I am wrong! 48.5268745% chance to be exact!....I

could give you the equation....hahaha!)

That is the *sense* I am getting and I think you are educated and an intellectual so please

don't interpret that as attacking your intelligence.
    I am actually more insulted by being called educated and intellectual!

No, being called ENFp would actually be a compliment because I have done so many things in my

life to evince a high intellegence that it would be pleasing to know that I have done these things

without Ti in my ego.

Anyway, I enjoy the discussions we have so keep em coming I will be lurking in the dark

with a dagger ready to slit your gullet.
    Sweet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do give me the forumlae and do give me time to do my own analysis.

Not exactly...
    I read the sentence wrong my mistake.

@Blaze yes I forgot about those two as they don't post as much. I try not to pay attention to gender just the things people say.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast