View Poll Results: what type is JK Rowling?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

0 0%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

6 15.38%
  • LII (INTj)

1 2.56%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

4 10.26%
  • EIE (ENFj)

1 2.56%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

2 5.13%
  • LIE (ENTj)

5 12.82%
  • ESI (ISFj)

2 5.13%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

1 2.56%
  • LSE (ESTj)

1 2.56%
  • EII (INFj)

18 46.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JK Rowling

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default J.K. Rowling

I've been reading interviews and lean Gamma NT, but what think you?

J.K. Rowling quotes:

It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default. ... It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

I think you're working and learning until you die.

Every now and then I read a poem that does touch something in me, but I never turn to poetry for solace or pleasure in the way that I throw myself into prose. ... And the idea of just wandering off to a cafe with a notebook and writing and seeing where that takes me for awhile is just bliss.

Secretly we're all a little more absurd than we make ourselves out to be.

Poverty entails fear and stress and sometimes depression. It meets a thousand petty humiliations and hardships. Climbing out of poverty by your own efforts that is something on which to pride yourself but poverty itself is romanticized by fools.

I was set free because my greatest fear had been realized, and I still had a daughter who I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became a solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life. ... Failure means a stripping away of the inessential.

Why do I talk about the benefits of failure? Simply because failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy into finishing the only work that mattered to me.

We're a phenomenally snobby society, and it's such a rich seam. The middle class is so funny: it's the class I know best, and it's the class where you find the most pretension, so that's what makes the middle classes so funny.

I do get recognized, but I must say Edinburgh is a fantastic city to live if you're well-known. There is an innate respect for privacy in Edinburgh people, and I also think they're used to seeing me walking around, so I don't think I'm a very big deal.

I sometimes have a tendency to walk on the dark side.

Death obsesses me, yes it does. I can't really understand why it doesn't obsess everyone - I think it does really, I'm just a little more out about it. ... To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

There was a point where I really felt I had 'penniless divorcee lone parent' tattooed on my head. ... But I was the most unashamed lone parent you were ever going to meet.
    Last edited by silke; 10-08-2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: updated links
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised no one has responded to this thread.

I got a book for Christmas quite a few years ago now about J.K. Rowling's life - it was like an interview. This was literally when she had just brought out the Chamber of Secrets. Anyway, from reading that, she was talking about how she was a nerd at school who didn't like sports. She's also got this good/evil overcoming thing going on. I'll agree with Gamma NT.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never really liked Hermione, she always seemed so self-righteous and snobby. I always imagined Ginny to be cute tho. :|

Didn't some MBTI site say that Harry was ISFP?
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Draco, lol, he was very hierarchical. All of Slytherin and the pure blood creed were.

Ron was a pansy a lot of the time tbh.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

On the Acknowledgements page for her novel The Silkworm, she dedicates the work to her editor David Shelley who is described as her "stalwart supporter and fellow INFJ".

She found out she was INFJ when she was given the MBTI test to take while she was a Temp in some office.

On twitter when asked about this long-lived Harry Potter MBTI typings chart: http://geekologie.com/2013/09/17/har...ties-small.jpg
    she said that "Er - no. They've got Lupin and Dumbledore the wrong way round for starters.”

i.e. she considers Dumbledore to have the same type as herself, and Lupin to be an ENFJ (her perception of the Lupin typing should of course be understood in the context of only having one character per type and contrasting Lupin with Dumbledore). Many including myself have considered Lupin an introvert, although this is perhaps more down to his circumstances rather than explicitly mentioned character traits.

...none of the characters in the books are directly taken from life. Real people did inspire a few of them, but of course once they are on the page they become something completely different. But, yeah, Hermione is a caricature of what I was when I was eleven — a real exaggeration, I wasn't that clever — Hermione is a borderline genius at points — and I hope I wasn't that annoying...sometimes she is an incredible know-it-all."
    Rowling has gone on to say that Hermione, Harry and Ron are all "a bit like different parts of my personality" as well as her favourite characters, along with Rubeus Hagrid, Albus Dumbledore, Fred and George Weasley, and Luna Lovegood, and that Hermione and Dumbledore were the most useful characters for exposition.
    (I think knowing this there is a stronger good case for Hermione being an INFJ/EII too).

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Updated typing: ESE sp/so 3w4

As many times as I've seen the Harry Potter movies being put on, they have found more support and resonance with the Si/Ne types than anyone Se/Ni. JK Rowling is definitely in the judicious quadra.
    Last edited by silke; 10-08-2016 at 08:18 AM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Te-LSE.
    Last edited by suedehead; 05-05-2016 at 10:22 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTj

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

EII

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Snape, Luna, Sirius Black, are some of my favorite characters.

JK is is probably Delta even though she identifies with Ni Fe. I guess I really do have to just stop trying to correlate the two systems when it comes to others.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the old days she was typed by some (Rick de Long and Expat) as an ILI. So i voted for ILI. Having now seen a vid of her for the first time, I find it difficult. I always thought harry potter has much Ne elements in it and knowing that she once selftyped as infj, i would hang between EII and ILI-ni. I'll be following this thread :-)

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE. Final.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Snape, Luna, Sirius Black, are some of my favorite characters.

JK is is probably Delta even though she identifies with Ni Fe. I guess I really do have to just stop trying to correlate the two systems when it comes to others.
    I believe the full MBTI test she took scores in the manner I vs. E, N vs. S etc. rather than in terms of Jungian functions.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I find it is rather obvious she is INFx.

What is lead about her? Or Creative?
    I cannot imagine a Gamma NT writing a book like Harry Potter.
    She is NF through and through.

Haven't decided yet which one, but I am currently leaning towards EII for her.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

EII

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barubary View Post
    You have a warped view of what a gamma NT is,(especially LIE-Ni).
    An example of an LIE-Ni is likely Elon Musk, IMO.
    But not JK Rowling...
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Her writing led me to believe EII. But after watching these interviews, I don't get a Delta vibe from her at all.

She almost seems more Gamma. I'll continue thinking.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

EII (NP)

I think Harry Potter is Si/Ne. She is known for her incredible attention to detail. That in itself is of course not type related, but the way how she worked out her story shows a lot of tangible shades who in their entirety make the whole world of Harry Potter. It’s really astounding and clever. Like details from everyday life of wizards, stuff at the ministry, stuff in Hogwarts with this little humorous twist. The details in naming the charms, the stuff in the magic lessons. It‘s like you reckognize things from your surroundings and everyday life in this wizard world, which makes it kind of familiar, but at the same time there is sth. novel added to it which makes it sth. new. All this little details and things add up to form this holistic experience of the Harry Potter world. Folklore, Myths, Legends which may have been inspired from other Myths in this world bleed into her created world. Like there is this story I remember how they needed to paint the Blacks family tree in the fifth film and they needed more names than mentioned in the book. The director called Rowling and some time later (like 30min-1hour?) she send him the whole fucking family tree and names and stuff. Same with the characters, there are probably 100 and she is able to come up with quirky background stories of every charcater, en detail. Like with this new film on this guy with his fantastic beasts. It was just mentioned somewhere and now they come up with a whole background story. Like it’s this huge world existing in it’s own, made out of this various details, which makes it so addicting to read some stuff up. I haven’t read much in order to be really clear on Fi/Te or Fe/Ti, but I think she is feeling and introverted and - it’s just an impression – I don’t think SEI.

Like as an perceivingfunction taking things in, but internal, it builds up kind of a ‚inner world‘sth that resides inside but ‚consists‘ of all these things, that have been takenin. When she is now faced with someone telling her to let out more of thisinner build up ‚impression‘ she can branch it out effortless. Like I don’treally believe, that she has written down the whole tree line thing beforehandand all (mb wrong here, who knows) or like even the books are just the small fractionof the whole world - how it ‚lives‘ inside her head and when someone wants moreshe’ll be like 'sure' and can create even more or let out more of what residesinside. She has taken in so much, that she can sit down, start somewhere andthen one thing in her creation leads to another thing, that is part of this‚impressionistic world‘ and the whole thing just branches out, the whole ideasstart flowing, but it’s like tangible in the sense, that is derived from sth. -'you know what it is' and it’s just an inner subjective sense, build up of whathas been taken in.

Like this idea of the ‚Minds Eye‘ but more as anEye/Sense for various things in your immediate surrounding you dragged intoyourself. But you kinda also have a filter, like you cannot drag everything the‚whole‘ outside reality in (that's too overwhelming?, like you can experiencereality what’s ging on right now, but when you try to transport it intoyourself/a.k.a as impression you can only take in so much, like a fraction of what’s going on. You are immersed in the environment but more in the sense ofwhich impression it has on you, and therefore you are not really chimed in on what's going around in themoment in sensing terms. Also you cannot take in other environments that existsimultaneosly/parallel outside, bc you look inside. But with exposure, withchanging data/new environments taken in you get new ‚impressions‘, that need tobe build up and get more and more of this feel for your inner 'storage ofimpressions' and with that comes this inner sensing eye for this whole'holistic inner perception'/your world.

So when you want to build up this holistic innerworld it will be bound to by what you have taken in and might shift and changeor branch out with new things coming in. This takes time, becauseexperiences, like how someone has them in their live, are bound to time. Youdon’t really experience something, which hasn’t happened yet, like reallyexperiencing it in the sense of being immersed in the experience here and now,but you might ‚imagine‘ and ‚extrapolate‘ from the set of impressions youalready gathered? So there is this impressionistic, inner, build up, world ofthings taken in by ‚sensation‘ and I think it has it’s own imagination, it’sown detail, it’s own ‚eye‘ that ‚sees‘ ‚perceives‘ it. Like when people talkabout bodily sensation, that’s like going internal with this 'sense' andperceiving what’s going on in the internal realm of you, also how you havetaken outside things in and how they affect this internal sense.

Like comfort/discomfort, something feels off,what have I taken in?, like homeostasis and inner well being as this holisticsense, that’s subjective and just senses things are in balance and outside thingsinfluences alter this, hence also this sense of being dynamic and trackingoutside things, that affect you inside/your inner sense. So in her caselike having this whole inner world consisiting of the various things she hastaken in (and whatever is taken in is bound to the individual) and from thereon she can branch out and then it starts to resemble a world of their own? Likehow taxes work in the magical world, pubs, magical foods, household charms, allkinds of various personalities in the magical world (that resemble characteristicsof people here, but you know as wizards) like the zany, crazy magicalexperimentor and the crazy zany, scientist here, or the adventurer and explorerof magical animals and explorers here.

NOTE: also when taking things in, it's like stil sensory experience, so there is an awareness of outside things and how they impact you, but your 'subjective' individual take on it is favoured over the other sensory extraverted experience?
    Last edited by Moonbeaux Rainfox; 10-09-2016 at 07:25 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

She's not EII
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

EII or ESI

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII-Ti.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10000000000% EII, she's the archetype for EII

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EII? Just no. How come that would be the case?
    She is apparently attracted people with strong morals. How come base type would be attracted to that?
    She says she has a short fuse.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like ESE for her. Regardless, I'm in awe of her ability to slay Twitter trolls with deadly sharp wit.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Daniel Radcliffe seems like an IEI, so that long conversation with him and her should tell something about ITR. It doesn't seem like supervision to me.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIE

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think she's Aristocratic at least, because she is quite opinionated and forces down her opinions on people.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EII
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    SLI-H sp/so
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Well I think she's Aristocratic at least, because she is quite opinionated and forces down her opinions on people.
    That's a sign of really bad manners but not aristocracy
    Look it up http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Aristocratic

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Horatio

Stratiyevskaya's definition of Aristocracy:

1. "Aristocratic" trait

In accordance with this trait, every person has the right 1) to create a hierarchy, establishing relations of subordination, to subordinate those below him and to comply with those above him 2) to support already established within the hierarchy traditions and rituals and monitor their observance 3) to put claims to the dominant positions within the system and to fight for one's right to occupy them 4) to fight for positional advantages in accumulation of rights, privileges, and opportunities 5) to establish one's own order within the system, consolidating power in one's own hands, to interact with others from position of power 6) to suppress by own authority, by authority of personal opinion 7) to control and critique the statements of lower ranking members of the hierarchy, limiting their right to expression on any (or on forbidden) subjects 8) to authoritatively impose one's own point of view, decisions, power, and will.

1. "Democratic" trait

In accordance with this trait, every person has the right 1) to interact with others as an equal 2) to have equal rights and opportunities 3) to fight and contend for equal rights and opportunities 4) to freely express on any topic 5) to freely defend their point of view 6) to strive to defend their rights and opportunities by any means.

--

I don't really find that Democratic types are that opinionated.

TIM
    SLI-H sp/so
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    ... own authority, by authority of personal opinion 7) to control and critique the statements of lower ranking members of the hierarchy, limiting their right to expression on any (or on forbidden) subjects 8) to authoritatively impose one's own point of view...
    Good one, didn't see that.

Not the definition of being opinionated though. It is a trait that can be found in any type.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well maybe not the existence of having opinions per se, but they will likely force their opinions on people, especially if they saw a hierarchy. So J.K. Rowling is likely thinking, "Well since I'm so rich and such a successful writer, my opinions are better than yours/theirs".

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J.K. Rowling
    "Part of what I think fans really enjoyed about the literature world was there was a logic that underpinned it; there was always a logic to the magic, however strange it became..."
    Quote Originally Posted by J.K. Rowling
    "It's simply logistics; there is a logic underpinning the world..."

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now celebrities are self-typing?? What will there be left for us to do?? That's right, Rowling, ship all our jobs to China!

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by super mbti user View Post
    I thought she was clearly EII.
    there are no clear types versions, the girl without known type
    but EII seems as best variant for her

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JK Rowling - INFJ - Dostoyevsky

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL I had a nightmare about her recently where she was the mind behind capitalism and all the evil in the world

I actually quote HP on a daily basis and am a great admirer of Ms Rowling (she's studied with the best UK astrologers as well which adds to my admiration), and this speech is one of the best ever made

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EII
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type