Hybrid View

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default question on Si

I have a question for leading/creative Si types:

my gf asked me yesterday: "can you experience a flavor by just thinking about it?" (i.e. without eating or drinking).

I admitted I can't, and she claims she can (note that she doesn't know about Socionics).

Do leading/creative Si types have this possibility?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I can sometimes, but I doubt I'm Si. (And obviously, it isn't nearly as strong as when I'm actually eating or drinking... It's more of a memory.) I think it's easier to do with things I've had often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can think of how good the food I was having was, and maybe get into the mindset of actually eating slightly, but I definitely cannot experience food in that way.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I just tried this and imagined eating chocolate cake, tuna, orange juice, grape soda, and my answer is yeah, but the taste doesn't remain after you stop thinking about it, and it's more the texture and temperature than the taste anyway, because I hardly taste my food when I'm eating for real. I kind of just wolf it down.

Perhaps I just have a good imagination for that kind of thing.
    haha. i wolf my food down too. ive called it that since i was a kid. but, if it doesnt taste good (which most foods dont to me), i wont eat it.

the only thing i can think of about the original topic is when someone else mentions a certain food, a strong tasting food, like citrus or salsa, my mouth waters. otherwise, i dont care about food very much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Operant conditioning
    Elro salsa
    Elro citrus
    Elro salsa citrus
    Elro citrus salsa
    Elro salsa citrus citrus salsa Elro salsa
    salsa Elro
    Elro
    citrus
    Elro salsa
    salsa Elro
    citrus Elro
    Elro citrus salsa Elro
    salsa citrus salsa citrus Elro salsa Elro Elro
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post

my gf asked me yesterday: "can you experience a flavor by just thinking about it?" (i.e. without eating or drinking).

I admitted I can't, and she claims she can (note that she doesn't know about Socionics).

not claiming Si, but i can usually visualize things in my head. as weird as it sounds, i feel like i have a "third eye" or something. that is, i can sort of sit back and imagine what a lot of situations might be like. regarding sensations, i can certainly imagine what it feels like to, i don´t know, eat a lemon, chocolate cake, whatever. i can usually identify these things pretty well as well. but i also can´t really "substitute" things like some pčople can. like imagining a chocolate cake in front of me or having some chocolate cake substitute is never, ever, ever, ever as satisfying as actually eating a chocolate cake.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    not claiming Si, but i can usually visualize things in my head. as weird as it sounds, i feel like i have a "third eye" or something. that is, i can sort of sit back and imagine what a lot of situations might be like. regarding sensations, i can certainly imagine what it feels like to, i don´t know, eat a lemon, chocolate cake, whatever. i can usually identify these things pretty well as well. but i also can´t really "substitute" things like some pčople can. like imagining a chocolate cake in front of me or having some chocolate cake substitute is never, ever, ever, ever as satisfying as actually eating a chocolate cake.
    my third eye experiences can be *better* than the "actual" thing. it has been a bit frustrating my whole life when the "actual" doesnt measure up.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do. It's one of the things I do very naturally, probably because I remember tastes/smells/images/sounds very vividly. I often imagine tastes before I mix certain foods together or when I decide what I want to drink after/during a meal. I also experiment with food a lot, always trying out different combinations etc...
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine tastes correctly, but it's nothing like experiencing them.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked my gf last night: "So if you can experience the flavors, why bother eating at all?" She said that the real thing is more intense, and also leaves an aftertaste (is that an English word?).

My sensations don't go beyond strong cravings, alas (ETA: meaning: a void that needs to be filled up). But when I do eat, I do enjoy it intensely, no wolfing away for me. In fact, it is since this gf that I notice I 'silently' enjoy food and drink, because I constantly go like "hmmmm" and "yummmmm" all the time, which amuses her to no end.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    yes, it's a word. It's what I meant when I said you stop tasting it when you stop thinking about it. There's no residual flavor left behind. But the reason I'd give for eating is that imagination doesn't fill your stomach.
    Not an unimportant aspect of eating indeed!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can reproduce lots of sensations this way, but I prefer not to, because it makes me want to taste it/feel it/hear it/etc again.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    I can reproduce lots of sensations this way, but I prefer not to, because it makes me want to taste it/feel it/hear it/etc again.
    why don't you do it again? You mean you have to actually go out oand see it/taste it/feel it/hear it? hehe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    why don't you do it again? You mean you have to actually go out oand see it/taste it/feel it/hear it? hehe
    Yeah, I'm too lazy to get my ass up and experience all that stuff again. Experiences just seem to happen to me. Me trying to recreate experiences can be catastrophic, like that one time I ended up in a room full of people vomiting and me holding a fucking bowl because I thought I was gonna too for the entire night while I thought my friend was either dying or shitting his pants.

True story!
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it's weird, I feel like if you can recreate the sensation you would just do it all day in your head. That's what an intuitive would do?

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Experiences just seem to happen to me.
    *sigh* sounds nice

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I think this has been a good discussion. I never realized that there were people who had this capability, and I've always wondered how there were people who could create fantastic food the way I pick my nose: without a lot of thinking involved. Now I feel like I somewhat understand this ability: if you can preconceive what something is going to taste like, it becomes a lot easier to improvise.

So in a sense Si is very much like Ni: where the latter tries to predict how events are going to unfold, Si can predict what the resulting physical experience will be. I think that's utterly cool!