View Poll Results: Do you believe in tarot readings?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I usually believe in the extraordinary

2 8.70%
  • No, although I usually believe in the extraordinary

7 30.43%
  • Yes, although I usually don't believe in the extraordinary

2 8.70%
  • No, and I never believe things that can't be proven

12 52.17%

Thread: Tarot cards - real or not

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tarot cards - real or not

PS! extraordinary= astrology, psychic people (ESP), maybe even UFOs, spirits, or other things like that.

I got tarot cards for my birthday. I am extremely happy about it. I also got the manual (explanations of the cards, different spreads, pointers, some FAQs). The manual quoted Jung so many times. The author Hajo Banzhaf explains how tarot cards are the language of pictures. They connect the conscious and real world to the subconscious. The subconscious is connected to the spiritual world and therefore tarot can tell us things from the future (thing that we will get to if our attitude stays the same). It can tell us things that we subconsciously already know but don't want to acknowledge.

Also he explains that there are no coincidences. We tend to call things coincidences when we don't understand them, but in the big picture, they don't exist.

And I do believe that all people and surroundings are connected on a subconscious level so I do believe that tarot cards work.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Creepy-

Aside from everything else I do believe in coincodences. "Everything happens for a reason" (when taken to an extreme) seems pretty ego-centric, actually. But divination is cool, I like runes myself (Elder Futhark).

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played around with them a few years ago not really expecting anything but amusement. I did readings for other people and myself. More often than not my readings were disturbingly accurtate, much much more so than the readings that my friends would do an me and eachother. It sorta creeped me out so I stopped.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my astrological birth chart is fairly accurate, or at least interesting
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird dream, what does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    A few nights ago I dreamed..really..that I had such a hard on that my dick would sort of pull me forcefully in the direction of its thrust instead of the other way around....crazy shit, hey Freudians terrecota reader here, what does it mean?
    But in reality I didn't at all. No hard on, not even sex in the dream, just a Freudian phallus pulling me somewhere, I thought it would get detached and go away...weird shit, but it must mean something.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait?

You are saying that you dreamed that a big freudian phallis pushed you around?

Hmmmm ...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOl yes
    It freaked me out
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it like, spitting at you?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised how many people don't believe in tarot cards...

They seem fairly accurate. Not always, but I can tell if I mixed up the cards in the reading: "It means absolutely nothing!. ...Oh I thought this was the first card... I'll just interpret the cards again. Oh. NOW it makes sense."

I think that all people have a potential to have mental powers. Some achieve them quicker than others. I am one of the people with less potential, but maybe being a female gives me some powers that I'm not even aware of. :wink:

Most of the people with mental powers aren't even aware of it (at least I think so).
    E3 (probably 3w4)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    Was it like, spitting at you?
    Lol, no. But it was trying to pull me somewhere ?????

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why on earth would a bunch of cards randomly sorted give any real information? I don't understand the theory behind that at all.

And I certainly believe in coincidence.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If is folly to dismiss something without investigating it, and I have done this in regards to both astrology and the tarot. The conclusions I have reached are thus: astrological type profiles are so vague that they could apply to anybody. The complete birthchart requires interpretation that is so complicated and convoluted that basically anything could be said about it and any assortment of facts could be used to contradict the same thing that was said. After studying the tarot for quite a while I came to the conclusion that one's interpretation of a tarot reading lies not within the significance of the cards but within the thoughts that accumulate within one's subconscious. Thus a supposedly "accurate" reading merely reflects what one already knew, whether or not they could consciously define it.
    Lyricist

"Supposing the entity of the poet to be represented by the number 10, it is certain that a chemist, on analyzing it, would find it to be composed of one part interest and nine parts vanity." (Victor Hugo)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said I don't believe in tarot cards but I do think there are some things we have yet to have explained. But I think they have a far more rational explanation than the magical attributes we give them.

I think ESP is just awareness at a level sometimes conscious, sometimes not.

I think there are scientific explanations for all of it. Even if there was some credibility to tarot card reading, there are so many bogus types out there doing this type of thing its hard to take any of it seriously.
    Polly
    ENTP

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My explanation of tarot cards - Most of the time, it just gives you insight of what you think subconsciously, just as tempus said. If you have a strong subconscious opinion, it will come out in the reading. If you ask a question with
    People don't give the subconscious enough credit. I think that people sense their death days before it happens, they sense what other people think, that danger awaits them if they cross the road on certain moments (even if they see no cars coming)... And I do think that they sense what card is the one that they would get the "right" message from. I always spread out the cards before pulling them out one by one (face down, of course). If there is any important information, my subconscious will know, I will sense the right card and I will understand it correctly. If I'm doing a spread for someone else, I let them pull the cards, because they still know more about themselves than I do and I don't consider myself to be exceptionally gifted in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    Why on earth would a bunch of cards randomly sorted give any real information? I don't understand the theory behind that at all.

And I certainly believe in coincidence.
    They are not just randomly sorted after I spread them out and handpick each card.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tarot cards - real or not

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    PS! extraordinary= astrology, psychic people (ESP), maybe even UFOs, spirits, or other things like that.

I got tarot cards for my birthday. I am extremely happy about it. I also got the manual (explanations of the cards, different spreads, pointers, some FAQs). The manual quoted Jung so many times. The author Hajo Banzhaf explains how tarot cards are the language of pictures. They connect the conscious and real world to the subconscious. The subconscious is connected to the spiritual world and therefore tarot can tell us things from the future (thing that we will get to if our attitude stays the same). It can tell us things that we subconsciously already know but don't want to acknowledge.

Also he explains that there are no coincidences. We tend to call things coincidences when we don't understand them, but in the big picture, they don't exist.

And I do believe that all people and surroundings are connected on a subconscious level so I do believe that tarot cards work.
    the cards are what you make of them. they are no more accurate then the Magic 8-ball or fortune cookie fortunes. if you look for what the card is saying, you'll find it or relate it to something else.

the only plus side is - if you get good, it's a good conversation starter. because even the people that think your crazy will still listen in some way. it's like having your palm read or the bumps on your head examined (mine or yours, not sure if it makes a difference...

but tarot cards wouldn't work, you mix the deck and pick them randomly. subconscience or not, it's still random. coincidence only comes up if you recognize a simalarity in what you said to them.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tarot cards - real or not
    I think we can all agree that Tarot cards are real; they just don't work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    my astrological birth chart is fairly accurate, or at least interesting
    i won a reading once. and while it was accurate - they could have said anything and it would be accurate. they left out many fine details. only mentioned big things - your creative. your attentive to detail - etc. you can say that you are detailed in such and such only because it was pointed out.

ever see a "psychic" give a reading? i see something red, is there something red in your life - yes a watch i had when i was a kid. i also hear something squeeky - yes, my tricycle had a squeek. and from there they will start thinking back to what it was like to have those things and the "psychic" continues from there. relying on someone gullible enough to insert their own details, only to be amazed later on.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    Tarot cards - real or not
    I think we can all agree that Tarot cards are real; they just don't work.

I think people are very good at twisting their perception to make reality meaningful and/or reflect the self. It's very arrogant but most of the time it doesn't hurt anyone. All forms divination are like this. Crystallomancy plays on your imagination, Numerology is specific but vague enough to be adapted to your purpose, Aura Soma relies on your aesthetics (if you like the colour you pick, you're going to be more malleable).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    I'm surprised how many people don't believe in tarot cards...

They seem fairly accurate. Not always, but I can tell if I mixed up the cards in the reading: "It means absolutely nothing!. ...Oh I thought this was the first card... I'll just interpret the cards again. Oh. NOW it makes sense."

I think that all people have a potential to have mental powers. Some achieve them quicker than others. I am one of the people with less potential, but maybe being a female gives me some powers that I'm not even aware of. :wink:

Most of the people with mental powers aren't even aware of it (at least I think so).
    it's only going to make sense after the events - it doesn't tell the future, it explains the past. and that's not so amazing if you think about it.

nostradomous - his quatrains were translated many times over. the grasping at straws to line up what was said in those translations are really dumb. hister is ******? Mabus? one place said it was Saddam - if you spelled it backwards and replaced letters - what the hell does that mean? it's silly.

i've studied female intuition, as i work in a place that's mostly female. and from what i can see, though many have empathy - many are dumb as dolts when it comes to intuition. many did not show this ability.

though i do think people do have this ability - not many trust it. they don't like the little voice. it's hard to trust something that has no logic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tarot is no good, but Runes are great.
    Entp
    ILE

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Tarot is no good, but Runes are great.
    <3 Elder Futhark