Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INFjs and ESTjs - what are you like when DRUNK?!?!!??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Also, generally speaking, I think that when people label external behaviors or processes as "good" or "bad," it's incredibly contrived and simplistic. Assigning normative values to labels are only good to me insofar as they serve as a shorthand to describe a common motive or as a "rule of thumb." I prefer not to use them, however, because people really do fall victim to categorizing things or people in this black and white way.

And I'm going to be cynical here, but I really think that when people point to things and say "X is bad" it has the side effect (if not, intended purpose) of letting them rationalize their moral uprightness to themselves. Don't you think everyone's self-perception would be really positive (and smug) if they went around defining arbitrary things, such as eating pasta, as evil? Then they could just go out and kill someone and rationalize it by saying "well, I don't eat pasta, so I'm a good person."
    i SO agree with you on this way of seeing this...these are the kinds of things i say to my sister a lot and she doesn't quite "get it."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    lush- If presented with an opportunity to drink shamelessly and in large quantities, and if in the mood for a drunken good time, a lush generally won’t pass up on it. (UrbanDictionary.com)

It basically differs from an alcoholic according to the reason for drinking- social and hedonistic- and not the severity of the drunkenness.
    ah i see, thanks

I really can't find a correlation between lushes/drunks and people whom I value. I have a lot of friends that fit in both categories; there are also a lot of people who never touch a drink and I think are annoying as all hell.
    of course, but i think when people make such statements, e.g. 'getting drunk is bad', they are implicitly invoking ceteris paribus

To me, it sort of depends on the person's motives for drinking. People's motives are sort of what differentiates them to me; not the manifestations of their motives-e.g., drinking or lots of casual sex. I see no such thing as a "wrong" manifestation.

Also, generally speaking, I think that when people label external behaviors or processes as "good" or "bad," it's incredibly contrived and simplistic. Assigning normative values to labels are only good to me insofar as they serve as a shorthand to describe a common motive or as a "rule of thumb." I prefer not to use them, however, because people really do fall victim to categorizing things or people in this black and white way.

And I'm going to be cynical here, but I really think that when people point to things and say "X is bad" it has the side effect (if not, intended purpose) of letting them rationalize their moral uprightness to themselves. Don't you think everyone's self-perception would be really positive (and smug) if they went around defining arbitrary things, such as eating pasta, as evil? Then they could just go out and kill someone and rationalize it by saying "well, I don't eat pasta, so I'm a good person."
    i agree that it is far more important to look at the intention/motivation rather than the behaviour.... but there are some behaviours (admittedly not ones such as getting drunk, but for example killing someone) that are ultimately "bad" regardless of the intention/motivation... and of course by labelling the behaviour as 'bad' you are not necessarily judging the person who has committed that behaviour

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Yes, I know this may seem like a strange question coming from someone with my reputation (or, perhaps, lack thereof), but I didn't want you to feel left out.

For the record, while I've had small amounts of alcohol a couple of times, I've never been drunk, so I can't tell you what I'm like when intoxicated. The closest I've gotten to that or to being high is from prescribed pain medication.
    like a Beta irrational.
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kensi View Post
    like a Beta irrational.
    So a sober person wouldn't get along with their drunk dualz?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like a Beta irrational.
    What do you mean?
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a total lush.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unefille View Post
    I'm a total lush.
    +1 me too
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    So a sober person wouldn't get along with their drunk dualz?
    Nice pic, Mune!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    What do you mean?
    a drunk delta irrational will enjoy the company of another drunk beta rational. I would love to drink with a drunken Clint Eastwood. That would be my ultimate celebrity goal. (does not apply to all subtypes though)

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice pic, Mune!
    Thanks. It's a statement on the inescapable tragedies of life. Or the best thing ever. I'll let that kernel percolate in your brain for a bit.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Thanks. It's a statement on the inescapable tragedies of life. Or the best thing ever. I'll let that kernel percolate in your brain for a bit.
    Now you've done it! I'm in a popcorn mood.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the dude in your avatar really needs to have a basketball placed in his hands.
    He's not happy because he can't do his job without the basketball
    He's in such anguish, with no basketball.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12