Thread: Brainwashing

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Brainwashing

Is it possible for someone to brainwash themselves to be another type?

I think so, I once convinced myself for a while that I was ENTp and when I took the test I tricked myself into answering thinking instead of feeling more often in the test. I knew which answers were which and this was a disadvantage in taking the test. Then slowly I realized that I couldn't rule out feeling and labelled myself as ENXp as while like Gilligan did. Then the realization came of me being ENFp after my friends clarified it. I felt more comfortable with it afterwards.

Anyways, aside from that can an INFj convince him or herself to be an ESFp or vice versa? That's a scary thought, and I know someone who scored as ISTj once in a test and then INTp on another one. I also know someone who scored ENFp and then INTj WTF?, though he was too silly to be an INTJ in my opinion.

The differences between them are too strong and it is quite scary in my opinion on how someone can actually believe they are something they are not. Finding out the truth is very hurtful, but it is better than living with a lie. Then again, it might be less painful and easier to believe a lie.

Anyways, were you once brainwashed by yourself or a test that you were a personality you were not, are you still brainwashed?
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Brainwashing

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Young_and_Confused
    SURE! lick a light socket. some of this is how you use your brain. left vs right, balanced or not. you can pretend, but that's it.

I think so, I once convinced myself for a while that I was ENTP and when I took the test I tricked myself into answering thinking instead of feeling more often in the test. I knew which answers were which and this was a disadvantage in taking the test. Then slowly I realized that I couldn't rule out feeling and labelled myself as ENXP as while like Gilligan did. Then the realization came of me being ENFP after my friends clarified it. I felt more comfortable with it afterwards.
    invalid conclusion. you can answer the questions any way you want. take the test enough times and you can recognize what that question is for. what the point is, i have no idea. it's not a game for the best letters.

Anyways, aside from that can an ISTJ convince himself to be an INTP or vice versa? That's a scary thought, and I know someone who scored as ISTJ once in a test and then INTP or someone who scored ENFP and then INTJ? WTF?, though he was too silly to be an INTJ in my opinion.
    techinically you can convince anyone naive enough to do anything. however you can't change their type. i will never be spontaneos, and everything has to be settled. you can't convince me otherwise. a sensing type really can't be truley intuitive. especially if it's not natural.

often people have no freakin idea who they are. and many can't answer the questions honestly or properly. they deny who they actually are, as if the world will look down on their answers. it's like lying about your weight, when a computer asks for it. as if by putting in a lower one in the box, will make it true somehow.

INTJ's can be quite silly btw. he also might be on the line. some can border the letters and can go either way.

The differences between them are too strong and it is quite scary in my opinion on how someone can actually believe they are something they are not. Finding out the truth is very hurtful, but it is better than living with a lie. Then again, it might be less painful and easier to believe a lie.
    scary is a strong word. many people believe that they are something when they are not, just watch american idol. so many people convinced they are good. even when faced with the truth, they drop into denial and defensive mode. however in the testing scores - there are no real lies, only confusion. and since many don't understand the questions, it becomes harder. an E will not understand what it's like to be an I. however they may answer like an I, because they do tire out, and may use that example.

Anyways, were you once brainwashed by yourself or a test that you were a personality you were not, are you still brainwashed?
    no. that's silly. i test the same in all the tests i take. even the dumb ones that base personality on blocks of color

i can relax myself into the alpha-theta range. i can do other things like that. but i can't make myself extroverted, etc.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...... anything can be "learned" if a person is truly desiring such.

People grow, people learn how to use different parts of their personalities, and.... anyone who thinks that they can seperate all the people in the world into 16 nice little organized boxes is a fool, in my opinion. Human adaptation and progress, evolution, all of that.... it involved change, and the ability to adapt.

I know that this isn't exactly the topic, but I think it should be kept in mind when discussing things like this.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people believe what they want to believe
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP

People grow, people learn how to use different parts of their personalities, and.... anyone who thinks that they can seperate all the people in the world into 16 nice little organized boxes is a fool, in my opinion. Human adaptation and progress, evolution, all of that.... it involved change, and the ability to adapt.

I know that this isn't exactly the topic, but I think it should be kept in mind when discussing things like this.
    i don't think you can learn to be either extroverted/introverted since that's a brain thing.

and you really can't learn to be intuitive - it's a born with thing.

you can probably teach yourself to be more feeling or thinking. judging maybe - all i know is, if i don't get something done that's in my mind, it will drive me nuts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a big fan of typing through tests.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ mike intj
    I can accept that, mostly.

But I believe different events, experiences in ones life..... can help increase or decrease the use of certain aspects of personlity, etc. However, yes, I do agree that some aspects, some things, are unchangable in terms of 'being born with it'. There is somewhat of room for varation.

Though..... I have seen vividly in my past...... that there are some people who are completely incapable of such variatino or change. Yet others are more capable of variation or change... hmm....

ps: perhaps variation comes most in the expression of such aspects of personality, as opposed to the initial mechanism themselves
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I have to agree with you on the fact that putting people into 16 categories is far too simplistic. People are much too complex and a lot of people are borderline on a one or two letters. This is where the personality confusion is. Also, I'm not crazy about the ordering of the functions because it gives you a false conception. If extraverted intuition is my first function, it doesn't mean that I am 80% intuition and 20% sensing, no I could possibly be 60% intuition and 40% sensing.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megan
    I also know someone who scored ENFp and then INTj WTF?, though he was too silly to be an INTJ in my opinion.
    I did above post.

@Megan:
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no, I've seen this before, when an ESFp starts rolling eyes and gesticulating. Look out...

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Oh no, I've seen this before, when an ESFp starts rolling eyes and gesticulating. Look out...
    It's worse when an ESFp tries to imitate and exaggerate your faults.

Anyways UDP, I believe that an ISTj can have more in common with an INFj than another ISTj depending on how developed one of their functions are or functions in a whole are. Also, sub types come into play like someone being an a main INTp type and having a ENFj as a sub type.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-

i don't think you can learn to be either extroverted/introverted since that's a brain thing.

you can probably teach yourself to be more feeling or thinking. judging maybe - all i know is, if i don't get something done that's in my mind, it will drive me nuts.
    It doesn't matter whether I/E is a "brain thing"; the brain is incredibly moldable so thus it would be possible to change your type. In the last 20 twenty years a colossal amount of research and testing has proven that the brain never stops changing.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theodosis

It doesn't matter whether I/E is a "brain thing"; the brain is incredibly moldable so thus it would be possible to change your type. In the last 20 twenty years a colossal amount of research and testing has proven that the brain never stops changing.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure you can. lots of people live in denial. plus, there's experience and trauma. there are people who for some reason or another got their type beaten out of them, or restricted - ones i've seen are mostly due to social pressure or ultra-dominating parents. you can see inconsistency between how they are with others and how they are when they're alone - and it doesn't seem conscious, like when you have a 'work' face and 'family' face. there's guilt involved when they start not to comply with the 'ideal' image. etc. etc.

i guess some types would succumb more easily under the pressure to survive by living the lie, and other types simply couldn't succumb and would resist hard, until driven insane.

anyway, lots of things can happen, but personally i think that it's far better to know yourself and work with that, rather than force yourself to be something so different from what you are. but then, i probably belong to the category of resistance until driven insane....

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirana
    sure you can. lots of people live in denial. plus, there's experience and trauma. there are people who for some reason or another got their type beaten out of them, or restricted - ones i've seen are mostly due to social pressure or ultra-dominating parents. you can see inconsistency between how they are with others and how they are when they're alone - and it doesn't seem conscious, like when you have a 'work' face and 'family' face. there's guilt involved when they start not to comply with the 'ideal' image. etc. etc.

i guess some types would succumb more easily under the pressure to survive by living the lie, and other types simply couldn't succumb and would resist hard, until driven insane.

anyway, lots of things can happen, but personally i think that it's far better to know yourself and work with that, rather than force yourself to be something so different from what you are. but then, i probably belong to the category of resistance until driven insane....
    Heh, I guess I'm one of those crazy people that resist until driven insane. The problem with that is that it is too hard to function in society if you do it this way and can lead to a lot of stress.

The weird thing about what you believe, is that if you believe it in your head it comes true, it doesn't matter whether it is true in reality, it is still is true, just for the fact that you think so. Like if I believe that the internet is controlled by an evil genius named Edward that lives in the moon, it comes true, you know what I mean?

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Kirana. There's a theory that falsifying type is a great source of stress with all sorts of dire consequences. Let's put it like this: the machine remains the same, but it forces itself to produce a different product. It's like making a drink dispenser produce chicken soup. You'll end up with Chicken Coke and a broken machine.

It might also depend on the type you falsify. It's probably easier to copy a type whose dominant functions are the same as yours. Then there are "neighbouring types" to yours, depending on how strong your individual functions are. Some ENFPs might have a comparatively strong Thinking preference, and for them it would be easier to copy ENTPs. What's probably hardest is to copy a type with whom you have little or nothing in common.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theodosis

Does the brain stop changing? No. Do its core circuits change? Not often. No, type cannot be changed. However, some people's brains do not have a well-defined type structure. These are xxxx types. HOWEVER, the percentage of these types in the general population is EXTREMELY small.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As people get older, their inferior functions (usually) get stronger, and this might give off the impression that their type has changed.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    I agree with Kirana. There's a theory that falsifying type is a great source of stress with all sorts of dire consequences. Let's put it like this: the machine remains the same, but it forces itself to produce a different product. It's like making a drink dispenser produce chicken soup. You'll end up with Chicken Coke and a broken machine.

It might also depend on the type you falsify. It's probably easier to copy a type whose dominant functions are the same as yours. Then there are "neighbouring types" to yours, depending on how strong your individual functions are. Some ENFPs might have a comparatively strong Thinking preference, and for them it would be easier to copy ENTPs. What's probably hardest is to copy a type with whom you have little or nothing in common.
    certainly some types are easier. some types are simply impossible for me to copy, even when i know for certain it would work better than my own to achieve the immediate goal. often i would know how, but i simply can't do it. either i really cannot act that way, or the idea of it is abhorrent to me, or both.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirana
    Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat

certainly some types are easier. some types are simply impossible for me to copy, even when i know for certain it would work better than my own to achieve the immediate goal. often i would know how, but i simply can't do it. either i really cannot act that way, or the idea of it is abhorrent to me, or both.
    I can copy a type's character, but whenever I try to make that character "me" relative to other people, I start getting crazy looks. Suffice to say, their perception of my type wasn't altered. :\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's worse when an ESFp tries to imitate and exaggerate your faults.
    Hahaha. True. Been there.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESFps are only good for one thing, and only half of them at that rate

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Well, don't you think your being a bit too harsh? Well, they're your complete opposite, so I really don't blame you.

I admire my opposite type, which is an ISTj because they are good at everything I'm awful at, even though I secretly view them as robots, Jokes,

Well, for one thing, I would say NEVER argue with an ESFp, your better off arguing with a box, at least the box won't brush you off. Though, ESFps are VERY generous, maybe too much and my best friend is an ESFp and he is able to produce quite excellent music. He's also the only friend I can trust 100%.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-pokeball

I sense strong whoremoans in you young padawan!

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    New vocab for me What are you talking about?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

isn't it naive to view it as brainwashing?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    isn't it naive to view it as brainwashing?
    Well, it depends on the way you see it. Technically it is just you trying to fool yourself into believing something you want to believe.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, don't you think your being a bit too harsh? Well, they're your complete opposite, so I really don't blame you.

I admire my opposite type, which is an ISTj because they are good at everything I'm awful at, even though I secretly view them as robots, Jokes,

Well, for one thing, I would say NEVER argue with an ESFp, your better off arguing with a box, at least the box won't brush you off. Though, ESFps are VERY generous, maybe too much and my best friend is an ESFp and he is able to produce quite excellent music. He's also the only friend I can trust 100%.
    Harsh? Don't you know who you are talking to? (just kidding, sort of...)

I don't know if I can trust ESFps....
    I have a "history" with them, I believe............

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian

(I made the booty smack thread prior to seeing these comments)

Yeah, I do have a lot of whoremones going through me - they're all around me here in college And like I say in my profile (take astrology for what it's worht/with a grain of salt), but the whole "sun (in taurus) opposite pluto" aspect seems to fit my pretty well.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think it depends on the ESFp you are dealing with. I think whether or not you can trust a type depends more on the individual than anything else. Sometimes may be less trustworthy, though overall I think it depends on the person and not the type.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-pokeball

Harsh? Don't you know who you are talking to? (just kidding, sort of...)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian

(I made the booty smack thread prior to seeing these comments)

Yeah, I do have a lot of whoremones going through me - they're all around me here in college And like I say in my profile (take astrology for what it's worht/with a grain of salt), but the whole "sun (in taurus) opposite pluto" aspect seems to fit my pretty well.
    It's whoremoans, not whoremones =D get it... whore + moan

/moan lol

....just dont say that too loud in Bio. =) My old hort professor had a hilarious way of teaching how to correctly spell fuchsia since everyone wants to spell it as fuschia or fushia. He'd just spell out f**k + sia on the board. No one ever forgot how to spell it again.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I know.

I thought I made that up a year ago or so...... it's funny it comes back to me like this. Whatever the case, I'm sure it's been aroudn for a long time

(you whoremoan)