Thread: Hang ups

Creepy-Melloblkmon

Default Hang ups

I am sure this has been discussed here before but it seems as if so many individuals are so hung up on being rationals of some sort (particularly INTJ or INTP). It seems as if that is the popular "in" sort of thing to do.

The personality theories class I took for my masters seemed a lot different than the discussions that go on here. My Professor said that a lot of people (especially males) seem to find a sense of feeling superiority by laying claim to the INTP or INTJ label or type. He has a masters in online teaching and told me that many people in online communities often lie about their personality types and employment to fit in and feel a sense of importance. This theory however conflicts with most what I have read about the NT personality, I get the impression most could care less about what other thought especially the guys.

I personally am related to an INTJ (father-in-law) and he is nothing like many of the people on this forum (not that I personally know any of you) or at least it seems so from the posts that I see. He knew little or nothing about personality types until 2 years ago when his job sent him to a confrence about personality types and the workplace. He works for an extremely large utility and is the manager of operations. He is very outgoing and beloved by his employees and family (I am a huge fan of his personally). When I was in my class a few semesters back I gave the test to many of my family members for a project and he came out to be an INTJ as well. His wife is an ISFJ and they get along famously. I envy their relationship and hope that my marriage is as good as theirs when I am married 38 years.

I also have a close female friend who said that an INTP who was really attracted to her soft of asked her out through her friend in another department. He tried to get her frind to give her a personality test on the sly and she told her friend that she would never date the type of insecure, pompus loser that would judge her by a personality test without getting to know her or judging her base on the thories of imperfect research results. She by the way is an ENFJ. My cousin who is an ISFP and the woman I measured a lot of my dates by felt the same way.. She told me in college that a group of people in her dorm went around trying to "type" people for a campus dating ring (mostly for rationals looking for idealists). Any guy who passed up a date with her becase she is an Artisan made a huge error as she is beautiful, hard working and so very creative (Kindergarten Teacher and Interior Decorator). Her husband is an ESFJ and she said she wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world.

I guess in the end it really only matters who you are when the computer is off and who you are with your man or woman. Keeping it real is something we usually have to do with them. I was just wondering what most of the people here though on the subject. For the record I have only been on this board once and no nothing of anyone here so I am accusing none of you "NT's" of anything. I do find that the females here seem to be more "real" and down to earth than the males though.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hang ups

Quote Originally Posted by Melloblkmon
    The personality theories class I took for my masters seemed a lot different than the discussions that go on here. My Professor said that a lot of people (especially males) seem to find a sense of feeling superiority by laying claim to the INTP or INTJ label or type. He has a masters in online teaching and told me that many people in online communities often lie about their personality types and employment to fit in and feel a sense of importance. This theory however conflicts with most what I have read about the NT personality, I get the impression most could care less about what other thought especially the guys.
    Again, the wonderfully corrupted and decadent psychology establishment at work. These are the people who cause the problems, folks.

I personally am related to an INTJ (father-in-law) and he is nothing like many of the people on this forum (not that I personally know any of you) or at least it seems so from the posts that I see. He knew little or nothing about personality types until 2 years ago when his job sent him to a confrence about personality types and the workplace. He works for an extremely large utility and is the manager of operations. He is very outgoing and beloved by his employees and family (I am a huge fan of his personally). When I was in my class a few semesters back I gave the test to many of my family members for a project and he came out to be an INTJ as well. His wife is an ISFJ and they get along famously. I envy their relationship and hope that my marriage is as good as theirs when I am married 38 years.
    I feel sorry for that guy. Superego relations in marriage.... *shudder* "We have a contract for everything...."

I also have a close female friend who said that an INTP who was really attracted to her soft of asked her out through her friend in another department. He tried to get her frind to give her a personality test on the sly and she told her friend that she would never date the type of insecure, pompus loser that would judge her by a personality test without getting to know her or judging her base on the thories of imperfect research results. She by the way is an ENFJ. My cousin who is an ISFP and the woman I measured a lot of my dates by felt the same way.. She told me in college that a group of people in her dorm went around trying to "type" people for a campus dating ring (mostly for rationals looking for idealists). Any guy who passed up a date with her becase she is an Artisan made a huge error as she is beautiful, hard working and so very creative (Kindergarten Teacher and Interior Decorator). Her husband is an ESFJ and she said she wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world.
    Well he's not missing as much as he thinks he is. I can say from experience that ESFPs in particular buy socionics/MBTI/"the whole nine yards" completely. Hell, they'd HATE for anybody to be mad at them.

I guess in the end it really only matters who you are when the computer is off and who you are with your man or woman. Keeping it real is something we usually have to do with them. I was just wondering what most of the people here though on the subject. For the record I have only been on this board once and no nothing of anyone here so I am accusing none of you "NT's" of anything. I do find that the females here seem to be more "real" and down to earth than the males though.
    So you're calling me "not real?" Now I'm laughing!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    Again, the wonderfully corrupted and decadent psychology establishment at work. These are the people who cause the problems, folks.
    Please don't tell me that you've completely missed all of the emotion surrounding Socionics/MBTI, tcaudilllg.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was in my class a few semesters back I gave the test to many of my family members for a project and he came out to be an INTJ as well. His wife is an ISFJ and they get along famously. I envy their relationship and hope that my marriage is as good as theirs when I am married 38 years.
    This is because he's ENTj.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest problem with both mbti and socionics is that of correct typing. People have lots of reasons to think that they are a different type than they really are. And there's lots of pressures on men who are really f to be t, and women who are really t to be f.

It all boils down to correct typing. I'm not sure any personality theory has solved this issue, quite frankly.
    Entp
    ILE

Creepy-Melloblkmon

So you're calling me "not real?" Now I'm laughing!
    No, I am not calling YOU anything. As I said I don't know you or anything about you or anyone else on this forum so if laughing is what you enjoy doing when someone else expresses their thoughts please feel free.

I simply stated that more of the females (or who I presume to be females) who post here seem to be more down to earth. I have only read threads here for the last three days so perhaps I am wrong. It simply seems to me most of the women here are not as hung up about their "type".

Creepy-Melloblkmon

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    No, actually the results he was given by the people administering the seminar for management personnel was very strong toward the INTJ. This is not to say mistakes cannot be made but on the Keirsey test he was 7-3 on the introverted side if I remember correctly.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know about the difference between INTJ and INTj?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Creepy-Melloblkmon

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    No I don't. We didn't do much with that in my class. Does the small "j" have that much of a different meaning. I have only come across this forum the last three days.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I don't. We didn't do much with that in my class. Does the small "j" have that much of a different meaning. I have only come across this forum the last three days.
    I think your professor has something against INTJs and INTPs. (maybe intuitive thinkers in general) He's probably an F of some sort... or an id crosstype. (they love to go after us...)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote]
    I am sure this has been discussed here before but it seems as if so many individuals are so hung up on being rationals of some sort (particularly INTJ or INTP). It seems as if that is the popular "in" sort of thing to do.

i've tested myself on atleast 20 online tests (not sure if they are all accurate), but i always test as an INTJ. i think the problem is, people read the types. they want to be thought as a mastermind.

and i think many don't know how to take the test properly.

how does he behave compared to us? i am not an open person. however on this board, i'm not judged, i'm understood, which is rare. so i tend to go outside my shell of comfortability and express myself more. which technically doesn't fullfill the descriptions of INTJ. which in itself is a paradox. being that INTJ is one of the rarest types. how did they get an accurate description when they were first designing the system?

also INTJ is a just a set of letters. you can be just on the line 51% and still be an INTJ. where as you may be closer to any of the other forms. my NT are around 60%, so i can do both sides. however it also depends on the questions in a test. most of the time it's a depends answer.

you'll also see more NT's here, because we analyze ourselves to death.

it all depends on your view point. i see many guys that are down to earth. it also may be that many females can touch into their feelings better and get to that part faster than a guy can.

also, i find it strange that some people can barely type themselves, yet have no trouble typing other people. how can a group of people look at someone and guess their whole type? unless you observe them for weeks, you would never know.

Creepy-pokeball

I think your professor has something against INTJs and INTPs. (maybe intuitive thinkers in general) He's probably an F of some sort... or an id crosstype. (they love to go after us...)
    Under your theory, which crosstype type would I be? I <3 all of the types. I think INT's are awesome. Life would be boring if the ideology that is INTx was missing!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    No, actually the results he was given by the people administering the seminar for management personnel was very strong toward the INTJ. This is not to say mistakes cannot be made but on the Keirsey test he was 7-3 on the introverted side if I remember correctly.

different system.

i don't know him either, but for now i'm gonna have to go with FDG. he could be ENTj. 'very outgoing'? 'beloved'? perhaps as he grows older, he grows more introspective, as many middle-aged people do. which would show up as 'I' in Keirsey's test.

of course, he could be an INTj who has developed a hell of a social mask for his workplace.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics is somewhat different from MBTI. Socionics depends heavily on a model of the psyche to allow prediction of how a type will process information, as well as allowing predictions of how types will interact, producing a system for understanding intertype relations.

MBTI seems (I say this, being not incredibly familiar with MBTI) to be based heavily on 4 dichotomies, giving little attention to the differences between the way introverted and extroverted functions affect information being processed in the mind. MBTI also holds the premise that only extroverted functions deal with the outside world, so a J in MBTI means that the judging (T/F) function is extroverted, not that it is the base function. A j (lowercase to denote difference) in socionics denotes that the judging function is the base function. In an extrovert, the base function is extroverted, so extroverted types in each system have the same first two functions (I think MBTI function ordering differs even more after the 2nd function). However, in an introvert, the base function is introverted, so a P will actually have a judging function as the base function and vice versa, while a Socionics p will have a percieving function as the base function, and vice versa. However, because of the way MBTI defines the functions, extroversion/introversion, and judging/percieving, MBTI types can't be reliably correlated to socionics types.

Your father-in-law may very well test as an INTJ under the MBTI system, but not actually be INTj or even INTp under socionics. IIRC, Expat (an ENTj forum member) tests as INTJ under MBTI. I (an INTj) generally test as an INTP in MBTI (though on one test I came out as an ISTP multiple times)

Now, as for people desiring to be NT's... yeah, I can see that. There are stereotypes that associate being N with being creative, T with being logical/intelligent, S with not being creative and enjoying tediousness/reptitiveness, and F with being too emotional. Being NT means you're supposed to be really intelligent. In American society, intelligence is a desired trait (however, intelligent people are often treated with mistrust in society due to a percieved craftiness). Americans (and I assume other western civilization peoples) will try to portray a character of intelligence. No one wants to be thought of as uninventive or easily distracted by emotions, so one will present himself in a favorable light.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

Creepy-

F's only like to go after you when you make statements like that

As for the rest, perhaps we could solve the image problems caused by thinking and feeling by only referring to them and ethics and logic. Those words aren't as loaded especially in terms of gender stereotypes -- no-one is going to complain about being "ethical" (or at least they shouldn't).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@original post: amen

@tcaudilllg: you're being a tad paranoid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What is your point?

Creepy-Melloblkmon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerio
    What is your point?
    I think I was trying to state more of my personal experience than make a point although a few of my questions have already been answered. I find this to be a forum that is dominated by NT's or Rationals which is fine as theories and discussions among those of your same personality type can be stimulating and refreshing.

It also seems as if there are a few hostile individuals here who are misreading my intentions. I am not here on your forum to hurl insults (Many of the NT's here do that among themselves just fine) I simply came across it on a research project I worked on last year. One of the assignments was to go on the forums of people of different personality types to observe the attitudes and interraction among people of similar types. As I said in my post I know NOTHING about anyone here and I am not passing judgment. It just seems as if there is quite a bit of hostility here and a lot of bravado among the males (as is true on most online forums of any type). I have been on the web rings of INFP's, INFJ's, ENFP's and various other types and the overall feeling is just different and why shouldn't it be, you are of different types and mindsets.

I guess in the end as far as I am concerned the five rationals I know well in real life (related to two) seem rather different than many of the rationals I have "briefly observed" here. They do not seem as anxious about proving who they are to one another. Than again relationships in real life are far different than internet relationships where people can be whomever they choose to be.

Creepy-

Actually he told us at the end of the semester that he was an INTP who has been working on being a much stonger feeling type person because it helped with his marriage relationship to a ISFP.

We had to try and guess his type all semester long (That was rather fun). I guessed wrong as I thought that he might have been an ENTP because he also has a degree in Chemistry.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerio
    What is your point?
    I guess in the end as far as I am concerned the five rationals I know well in real life (related to two) seem rather different than many of the rationals I have "briefly observed" here. They do not seem as anxious about proving who they are to one another. Than again relationships in real life are far different than internet relationships where people can be whomever they choose to be.
    Hey. When we do the braggadocios we're just joking. Lighten up.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Melloblkmon

Default Clarification

I should clarify that I came ago this forum the first time last year as I was simply documenting the ones I could find online of different personality types. I only really started heavily reading the threads four or five days ago to get a feel for what types dominated this forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ILENTp
    @tcaudilllg: Relax man, no one has accused you of anything.

Interesting original post. Do you think people mistype themselves, or know their real type and are bluffing? Do you have any ideas as to which types would tend to do this more? I mean, oviously guys who are F and girls who are T, but beyond that. I think many ENTps mistype themselves as introverts, I did, and several others I have talked to on the internet.
    i think some people don't know themselves well enough to actually critique themselves in this manner. other's are in denial. other's can only see a last event (such as a party they just went to). that last one would explain why people fluctuate so wildly.

i couldn't say which types do this, since i think they mistyped themselves in the first place. though almost anyone that writes a blog. they seem to change every day. first i'm an INTP, now i'm a INTJ, now i'm a ENFP, etc. mostly i think they are confused.

the introvert thing is confusing, since there aren't many accurate questions to it. many mistake it for shy. there are many people who will avoid strangers. there are times you won't be the life of the party. you might not want to answer the phone, etc. all these things can be mistaken as introverted. but unless you are drained of your energy in the presence of large groups - your probably an E.

Creepy-Melloblkmon

Default Mistyping

Quote Originally Posted by ILENTp
    @tcaudilllg: Relax man, no one has accused you of anything.

Interesting original post. Do you think people mistype themselves, or know their real type and are bluffing? Do you have any ideas as to which types would tend to do this more? I mean, oviously guys who are F and girls who are T, but beyond that. I think many ENTps mistype themselves as introverts, I did, and several others I have talked to on the internet.
    I think a lot of people know who they really are but bluff to impress others. It seems to me as if personality types are sort of like social cliques in some ways. To fit in you have to be a certain type depending on the forum. I find that some are very open and others are very cynical and suspicious of your motives and questions.

If you are not of a particular personality type your input is dismissed or not taken seriously or seen as not intelligent enough to address without lacing the response with well crafted sarcasm.

Creepy-Diana