View Poll Results: Do you have a Thyroid Disorder or ADHD?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Thyroid Disorder and Female

0 0%
  • Yes Thyroid Disorder and Male

0 0%
  • Yes ADHD and Female

1 0.81%
  • Yes ADHD and Male

0 0%
  • No to either and Female

1 0.81%
  • No to either and Male

0 0%
  • 121 98.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a thyroid Disorder or ADHD?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you have a thyroid Disorder or ADHD?

In another thread, I was suprised by how many females came forward who were on this site who had either a hypo or hyper-active thyroid disorder. This is also a known cause of ADHD so was curious just how many have also been diagnosed with ADHD.

Where ADHD is often caused by a thyroid disorder, if you have been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder there is no reason to answer yes for ADHD.

Ifyou could post your personality type as well it might be interesting to see the results.

Thanks!

Polly <---- Graves disease, hyper-active thyroid disorder and had my thyroid removed when I was 12.
    Polly
    ENTP

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what about people like ishy who have both?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I often have irregular or heavy menstrual periods.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually the thyroid is the cause for the other. So even though you are being treated for both, you wouldn't have ADHD unless you had the thyroid disorder.

I'm sure there are exceptions but...meh...close enough
    Polly
    ENTP

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*raises an eyebrow*

I'm sorry, I must disagree 100%
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

"Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is thought to have a biologic basis, but the precise cause is unknown. It is one of the neurodevelopmental abnormalities frequently observed in children with generalized resistance to thyroid hormone (GRTH), suggesting that thyroid abnormalities may be related to ADHD. We report a prospective screening study for thyroid abnormalities in 277 children with ADHD by measurement of serum levels of total thyroxine, free thyroxine index, and thyrotropin. Fourteen children with ADHD had thyroid function test abnormalities: six had a normal free thyroxine index and elevated thyroxine level (group 1); three had a high free thyroxine index and a normal thyrotropin level (group 2); and five had a low free thyroxine index with a normal thyrotropin level (group 3). GRTH could not be demonstrated in a detailed study of four of the subjects in whom it was suspected (groups 1 and 2). Although the prevalence of ADHD in subjects with GRTH has been reported to be 46%, the overall prevalence of GRTH must be less than 1:2500 because we failed to detect GRTH in the 277 children with ADHD studied. We conclude that the prevalence of thyroid abnormalities is higher (5.4%) in children with ADHD than in the normal population (< 1%)."
    Polly
    ENTP

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Entp, hyperthyroid, no ADHD.

I'm thinking - some might not know if they're hyperthyroid. How would you know unless you had bloodwork done?

You could have ADHD and not realize you have a thyroid problem.
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had loads of tests done.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they test for TSH, T3 & T4?
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty sure... they tested for a lot of things. I hassled the endocrinologists to do more and more tests.
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

Man I hate blood tests.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as I don't watch the needle go in, I'm fine.

*slaps her arm a couple times*
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL

about a year ago I went to the ER and they stuck me with a needle SEVENTEEN TIMES trying to get a blood draw!

and then like in april they did this growth hormone test where they fucked it up and the blood went up the IV line and the nurses were freaking out. it was funny. and then they wouldn't let me leave when it was over because my blood pressure was 50/20. What a bunch of bitches.

they tested me for MS too...

turns out I was just too skinny and taking too much adderall
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to clarify, just because you have been diagnosed with ADHD it doesn't mean you have a thyroid condition. Its only when you have the dual diagnosis of both that studies indicate there is a relationship. So its possible to have thyroid disorder without ADHD and ADHD without thyroid disorder. But when you have both, they think there is some type of relationship.

I think for girls they do tend to test for thyroid disorder when there are ADHD smptoms. It would be more the boys that wouldn't be tested as much. Even though boys have it they tend to think of it more as a female disorder.

I was poked once a month from the time I was 5 until 12, then every 3 months until I hit my 20s. Needles don't fizz me at all, waiting in the blood clinic is torture though.
    Polly
    ENTP

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay, that I will agree with
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think my eye sight is going, though. Not just bluriness, either

But no, no thyroid stuff
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eye sight can be related to thyroid or blood sugar... or too many hours in front of a moniter

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops that was me
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    eye sight can be related to thyroid or blood sugar... or too many hours in front of a moniter
    Probably the monitor. In m youth I had no real concept of time (infront of a monitor).
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    Man I hate blood tests.

Okay...I love getting blood tests done. I don't know why. I like the needle and ...nvmd...>_>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UDP, don't you know if you jerk too much you'll eventually get blind?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thyroid disease is genetic in my family, and I could possibly provide an argument for possible ADHD. But if I have ADHD, then everyone does.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nobrainer
    UDP, don't you know if you jerk too much you'll eventually get blind?

It's not my fault your mom can only hold out for a few hours.

Creepy-pokeball

lol o m g hah, so bad lol.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was diagnosed with ADHD at some point when I was in school. I never took any medication - I refused and my parents backed me up because if I do have ADHD, which I will admit is possible, it isn't bad enough that it's ruining my life or anything and until it does I'll just keep things as they are.

Sorry for the terrible run-on sentence

I have no idea about the thyroid thing but I think I'm OK in that department.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah... nothing comes without a cost. Meds take a toll on our bodies, and we only take them when the benefit oughtweighs the cost.
    SEE

Creepy-

OK.

I can't vote in the poll

I have (very bad) ADHD, since long before I had any thyroid disorder. I didn't have any thyroid problems until last year. I also have a bunch of other medical problems, but we won't go into that

They can be related, yes, but they don't have to be. I have both ADHD and autoimmune disorders in my gene pool, unfortunately it looks like I have both! (Also there are a lot of other things in my family gene pool and I happen to be extremely unlucky).

But anyway, IIRC Hyperthyroidism doesn't actually cause ADHD, it just produces ADHD-like symptoms. IIRC ADHD has something to do with dodgy genes related to dopamine, like umm..... damn I can't remember the name! It's nicknames the "thrill-seeking" gene and is related to hyperactivity and taking extreme risks to achieve PFC stimulation either because they can't release dopamine from the presynapse or because they need a much larger amount of dopamine to actually make a difference. One of the two.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Ishy,

Dayum, you would have to be different hehe. Its not a very scientific pole so you can vote either or Its more to see how many on here have those common types symptoms and are diagnosed. A lot of people may think they have either or but you don't really know unless you are tested.
    Polly
    ENTP

Creepy-

I voted "ADHD & female", because that's what came first and I'm still taking meds for it, so...

Have you taken your placebo today?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

taken?

(you were picking on me first! )
    SEE

THERE IS SOMETHING I'M NOT TELLING YOU JOY. :wink:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I start my uptake scan tomorrow to see whether I have Graves disease for thyroiditis. I'm preparing for Graves since thyroiditis is supposed to be rare.

Oh well, there could be many worse things to have!
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    I think my eye sight is going, though. Not just bluriness, either

But no, no thyroid stuff
    Maybe too much time spent staring on the computer screen. It's not good for the eyes to stare at something that is close to your eyes for long periods. I might be wrong though, you probably don't spend that much time at the computer.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the diagnosis today, it is Graves disease.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the synthroid club! I would throw a party but I'm hypo and tired today

Seriously though, I'm sorry to hear that but like you said it could be worse. The worst thing now is you have to take medication everyday. I try to resolve it by saying well birthcontrol is something people take everyday so why should I feel bad about this little pink pill.

If you ever need to someone to talk to you just give me a shout my entp sister
    Polly
    ENTP

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graves is a type of thyroiditus.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Graves is a type of thyroiditus.
    Actually, no.

Graves disease has three symptoms: hyerthyroidism, eye problems, and skin problems. They treat the hyperthryoidism, but I don't think they can treat the eye or skin stuff. Not everybody gets all three symptoms.

It's an autoimmune disease. Your body starts producing antibodies that are chemically like TSH, which is a hormone which comes from your pituitary gland, which controls the amount of thyroid hormone your thyroid releases. The antibodies keep tagging your thyroid and the thyroid releases high levels of thyroid hormone. This results in the hyperthyroidism.

These same antibodies affect your skin and eyes.

They don't really know what causes it. In the 1800's there was a 50% mortality rate with Graves. I'm sure glad I live in the 00's!

@Polly: thanks for the support. Even though I know in my mind that this isn't really that bad, I'm still a little shocked and freaked out. Oh well, I'll get over it.
    Entp
    ILE

Creepy-

*more hugs and cookies for Blaze*

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*feels a little better*
    Entp
    ILE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast