Thread: Dr Martin Luther King Jr

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

The public schools in my city take off for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. day. I have a great deal of respect for the man, and it really bothers me that many black people are so incredibly racist, yet worship Dr. King. They have totally missed the point.

Anyways, my son is very interested in Dr. King and tells me all kinds of information about him. He even chose a book about him from the library.

What type was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr?

ENxx...
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the people on his staff spoke at my college today. I am glad I went.

I heard his type before, but I forgot it.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENFj, maybe?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-

Hmm, NGGR? maybe? maybe COON though.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recieved a PM from a forum member asking me about my statement that black people are racist. She tells me that she has black friends and has not observed this to the degree which I make it sound. I'd like to add to my thread here a little more information and explanation on this matter.

I live in one of the most segregated city in the world. It's not that way because that's how the white people insist it must be... a poll of the residents showed that a very high percentage of them are happy in their neighborhoods. I live in one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city, and it's 60-70% black. I personally love it here. My neighbors are far nicer than the neighbors I had in the small towns I grew up in. White people around here call this the ghetto, but I wouldn't move to the suburbs. I am seeing a trend in my city... the black and white people are moving to the Mexican neighborhood, the black people are moving into the suburbs, and the white people are moving into the inner city. We have a large percentage of Hmong people in my area too, but I'm really not sure where they live. I know that my son is the only white kid on his school bus, and the rest are Asian. I think it's good for him. I believe all of the neighborhoods in my area are becoming much more diverse, and it's a change I'm happy to see.

I personally feel that the segregation is what's causing much of the economic division in my area, and vice versa, and I'm thrilled to see this balancing out. I hear black people talking about white people quite a bit. They are very distrustful and have many stories about how a friend of a friend moved into a white neighborhood and had a cross burned on her lawn (I'm sorry, but that's bullshit) and numerous other made up or exagerated complaints.

What it all boils down to is that what is hindering the black people in this country, or at least my area, more than anything else is their victim mentality. They have a VERY "us and them" mind set, and if they could grow past it they would find that they deal with very little resistence in recieving a quality education, being treated more fairly by the court system (which I admit is still heavily biased), and securing good jobs. The only ones who are keeping them where they are is themselves.

A large part of the problem is the system of state aid. I have recieved state aid. I remember one month when I got a letter stating that $1,500 in benefits (day care assistance, food stamps, and health insurance) was being cut off because I made $50 a month too much. The system is set up to keep the lower class where they are, and there are people in this city who are third generation welfare recipients. It's all they know... they don't even speak English! There are schools in my city that are 90% and 95% and 97% black. The test scores at most of them are horrible, but there are a few that have scores higher than average for the school system, which is still under the state average. (My son goes to an accelerated learning school with test scores above the state average, so I'm not overly concerned with the neighborhood's effect on him.) There is also an issue with the culture and parenting. The most common situation that happens around here with black families is that a woman gets pregnant and the father either takes off or goes to jail. It's how most of them grew up and they really don't know how else to do it. I also think that their music negatively impacts their mindsets... but that's a different topic.

The bottom line is that the most racist things I hear come out of black people's mouths. Perhaps I should not assume that my experiences or my area is how things are everywhere. I'm not really sure what else to say about my comment... I know that when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, a revolutionary that I GREATLY respect and am proud that my son has taken such an interest in, fought for the equal rights, this is not what he wanted to see happen. He taught that all humans should be treated with the same respect, and that we should each believe in our goals and do what we can to accomplish them, not letting superficial things like race or gender hinder us. A lot of black people hold Dr. King as practically a religious icon, and have totally missed the point. It's a shame, but eh well, that's humanity for ya. Again, the issue is the victim mentality.

*sighs* My neighbors are nice to me, and I know that as long as I am comfortable with them, they will be comfortable with me. I'd like to see a whole lot more of this attitude from all parties.
    SEE

Creepy-heathiep

america is the best place to be poor

Creepy-heathiep

and by the way joy, i see a lot of hope and movement in your summary, regardless of the little things.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(: I do too
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

The person in your PM needs to visit Chicago... and I do not mean as a tourist =p

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Joy: I don't disagree with you, but it works better when black people say it themselves, a la Comedy Central.
    Entp
    ILE

Creepy-pokeball

In some ways I do not blame them. I cant exactly say Id feel peachy about crackers if I were them. Yet, on the other hand, I'd hope that "be the better" is taught.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pp
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dr. King is overrated. Sorry. Just think about it.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not overrated.... misrepresented
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did he ever do. Ever?!?! What bills did he pass? What laws did he get started? Did he start any movements? No.

What bothers me is that he gets a day and everything, yet people like President Lincoln don't. Abe ended slavery, and he doesn't even have his own day! Jackie Robinson did more than Martin Luther King ever did, and he doesn't get his own day.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your point. Dr. King was inspiring though, and I do consider him a revolutionary.
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

It's mainly symbolic which I understand although Im not into idolizing any single person so, "eh"

He so got pwned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    What did he ever do. Ever?!?! What bills did he pass? What laws did he get started? Did he start any movements? No.

What bothers me is that he gets a day and everything, yet people like President Lincoln don't. Abe ended slavery, and he doesn't even have his own day! Jackie Robinson did more than Martin Luther King ever did, and he doesn't get his own day.
    I bet the next person you say is overrated is Nelson Mandela or Gandhi. The type of system America had back then was forced segregation, similar to the apartheid system they had in South Africa. It was very dangerous for a person's lifespan to challenge that system of white superiorty.Martin Luther King took the stategy of Gandhi of nonviolent demostrations and economic boycotts to force integration of public and private institutions. Marcus Garvey and later Malcom X did not believe in complete integration but independence because Western Culture and the Judeo- Christian religious traditions on which it is based, is inherently racist , that black people should focus more on self help, self-reliance ,education and improvement of their own communities. They believed if the black community could achieve economic and political independence from the hostile white power and economic system, it would be a better way to immunize them against racism then complete integration which would dilute the leverage blacks would have for controlling their own destiny.All important aspects of political or economic life of the minority populations is controlled by the changing whims of the majority population, which inherently is not sympathetic to them or is frightened by the threat to their power . Every black leader or movement have have challenged this system has died violently (Martin Luther King, Fred Hampton, Malcolm X and his father, deported (Marcus Garvey), exiled (Elderage Cleaver), imprisoned on false charges( Huey Newton, Bobby Seale, Angela Davis) or crushed by the secret police services of the state as in COINTELPRO (Black Nationlistic Movements of 1960's).They believed it was folly to put trust in a paternalistic power structure that believed blacks were inheriently inferior for uplifting the black community and never really did anything to protect black people from violent injustices in the deep south. Even Abe Lincoln used to tell the nation during the civil war that the war was to preserve the Union instead of of ending the adbominable practice of slavery, as in white unity was more important than involuntary servitude. Actually Martin LUther King in the years before his death was booed and ridiculed wnen he went to Los Angeles in 1965 to help curb the Watts Riots. That made him make the decision to move to the ghettos of Chicago to live among the people there to find out their source of frustations. That experience forced him from to change his civil rights movement to a course similar to Malcolm X's , focused more on poverty and economic issues as opposed to integration of blacks into mainstream America life. He believed race was used to divide the lower social- economic groups as a means to exploit them by the higher social economic elites to lower labor costs and quell unions and other pro-labor institutions. He was planning a Poor Peoples March on Washington but was assasinated in Memphis while there in support of workers on strike with the city in a labor dispute before he could impliment it. Also he became an outspoken critic of the Vietnam War preaching it as hypocritical for America to declare it a war for freedom when America did not practice what it preaches with millions of its own citizens, and poor people of this country should not go kill poor people of another country in what he saw as just another colonial war on poor dark races of a third world nation who wanted their own autonomy from outside powers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky

Actually Lincoln have his own legal holiday in Illinois and other states. Many states that had formerly observed this holiday have created a joint holiday to honor both Lincoln and George Washington, sometimes calling it "Presidents' Day". It coincides with the Federal holiday officially designated "Washington's Birthday", observed on the third Monday of February. There has never been an annual Federal holiday honoring Lincoln.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I recieved a PM from a forum member asking me about my statement that black people are racist. She tells me that she has black friends and has not observed this to the degree which I make it sound. I'd like to add to my thread here a little more information and explanation on this matter.

I live in one of the most segregated city in the world. It's not that way because that's how the white people insist it must be... a poll of the residents showed that a very high percentage of them are happy in their neighborhoods. I live in one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city, and it's 60-70% black. I personally love it here. My neighbors are far nicer than the neighbors I had in the small towns I grew up in. White people around here call this the ghetto, but I wouldn't move to the suburbs. I am seeing a trend in my city... the black and white people are moving to the Mexican neighborhood, the black people are moving into the suburbs, and the white people are moving into the inner city. We have a large percentage of Hmong people in my area too, but I'm really not sure where they live. I know that my son is the only white kid on his school bus, and the rest are Asian. I think it's good for him. I believe all of the neighborhoods in my area are becoming much more diverse, and it's a change I'm happy to see.

I personally feel that the segregation is what's causing much of the economic division in my area, and vice versa, and I'm thrilled to see this balancing out. I hear black people talking about white people quite a bit. They are very distrustful and have many stories about how a friend of a friend moved into a white neighborhood and had a cross burned on her lawn (I'm sorry, but that's bullshit) and numerous other made up or exagerated complaints.

What it all boils down to is that what is hindering the black people in this country, or at least my area, more than anything else is their victim mentality. They have a VERY "us and them" mind set, and if they could grow past it they would find that they deal with very little resistence in recieving a quality education, being treated more fairly by the court system (which I admit is still heavily biased), and securing good jobs. The only ones who are keeping them where they are is themselves.

A large part of the problem is the system of state aid. I have recieved state aid. I remember one month when I got a letter stating that $1,500 in benefits (day care assistance, food stamps, and health insurance) was being cut off because I made $50 a month too much. The system is set up to keep the lower class where they are, and there are people in this city who are third generation welfare recipients. It's all they know... they don't even speak English! There are schools in my city that are 90% and 95% and 97% black. The test scores at most of them are horrible, but there are a few that have scores higher than average for the school system, which is still under the state average. (My son goes to an accelerated learning school with test scores above the state average, so I'm not overly concerned with the neighborhood's effect on him.) There is also an issue with the culture and parenting. The most common situation that happens around here with black families is that a woman gets pregnant and the father either takes off or goes to jail. It's how most of them grew up and they really don't know how else to do it. I also think that their music negatively impacts their mindsets... but that's a different topic.

The bottom line is that the most racist things I hear come out of black people's mouths. Perhaps I should not assume that my experiences or my area is how things are everywhere. I'm not really sure what else to say about my comment... I know that when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, a revolutionary that I GREATLY respect and am proud that my son has taken such an interest in, fought for the equal rights, this is not what he wanted to see happen. He taught that all humans should be treated with the same respect, and that we should each believe in our goals and do what we can to accomplish them, not letting superficial things like race or gender hinder us. A lot of black people hold Dr. King as practically a religious icon, and have totally missed the point. It's a shame, but eh well, that's humanity for ya. Again, the issue is the victim mentality.

*sighs* My neighbors are nice to me, and I know that as long as I am comfortable with them, they will be comfortable with me. I'd like to see a whole lot more of this attitude from all parties.
    Why do you so easily so dismiss their complaints as exagerated incidents they report as untrue? Were you there? Why do you feel so i strongly indignified when you hear such complaints . You claim they are distrustful yet you are also distrustful of their complaints. Many Hold Dr. king as a religious icon because of his self- sacrifice and noble stand for human rights, but they see what he fought for "a person judged not on the color of his skin but the content of his character " a failure. From much of the urban African -American experience real life doesn't bear that out. Disparity in sentences for similar crimes in the justice system, disparity in harsher sentences for drug offences related to urban areas as opposed to surburnan areas, disparity in access to jobs, quality education and health care. Racial profiling from police even if you so called made it but just grin and bear it and don't complain, don't want make anyone uncomfortable with some injustices you percieved because of your melanin content. Sure we have more access to the voting booth except in some places in Florida and Ohio and not told to sit in the back of the bus anymore but America is far from the ideal place that Dr. King strived for in many blacks eyes. That is the main point with many black people, Martin Luther King stood for against racial inequality, integration and non-violence but they still killed him. Black people expected maybe sub-consciously something like that to happen to Malcolm-X because he believe violence should be used if it was used against you and your family for self defence. Anybody that espoused beliefs that Malcolm X preached such as the Black Panthers could be easily demonized by the state as used to instill fear in whites so they could be targeted for elimination by the FBI as "the greatest threat to American Society" as quoted by then FBI director J Edgar Hoover Malcolm X believe it was folly to trust your oppressor and adversary and Martin Luther King was playing a fool to trust white people as a whole because of past experiences the black race had as a whole for the past 400 years with the white race. He would often say it would be stupid for a person to trust another person that after all their experiences with that person was never trustworthy but also abusive on top of that. That is why many blacks reject total integration as the solution but accept the black nationlistic philosphical theory that Malcolm X earlier espoused. Malcolm X believed Whites and the existent power structures are not to be trusted because when something threathens that power structure that accumilates benefits to them such as easier access to jobs, housing, quality education they will turn on blacks to keep that system intact. Witness the hostility towards Affirmative action programs designed to help Blacks escape the system of poverty. Whites now tell Blacks to get over it and stop being a VICTIMS which just INFURIATES Blacks because they see how little whites cared for blacks when blacks were denied such opportunities and made to live in a apartheid society for almost 100 years after slavery and had to go through a violent struggle which many people were killed just to get the right to vote and eat at the same lunch counters with whites but when a few positive things are implimented to try to redress the injustices such as Affirmative actions and anti-poverty programs ( which are purposely designed to keep you in poverty and ferment resentment from the whites as to divide the Lower Social Economic classes from challenging the current Economic Structure America has in place,which was why Malcolm X to Marcus Garveywas so for self help and self-reliance because if someone gives you something they can take it away))they are faced with beneath the surface hostlity. Instead of Affirmative Action why not free higher education for all.Universal health care and free day care for all Americans with children. A living wage because a job should keep you out of poverty , not in it. A better educated society is a more posperous society. Why are Americans brainwashed to believe its unfair for people to recieve free higher education and health care. It would be a lot cheaper and more beneficial to America and make quality of life in our nation so much better in the Long Run then what we are spending in Iraq every year. America would truly be a wealthy nation instead of a nation of wealthy individuals. Sorry for going on and on but just wanted to give you some insight on the black mind and why they be us against them mentality.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was this posted before or after that pm? cuz i thought it was just completely random information on mlk jr.