Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)

quotes:

I have been wildly enthused about gaming since I was younger, and a career path I chose not to go down but did really consider was getting into programming and game design.

I wanted to escape Small Town U.S.A. To dismiss the boundaries, to explore. My life experience came from watching movies, TV, and reading books and magazines. When your culture comes from watching TV everyday, you're bombarded with images of things that seem cool, places that seem interesting, people who have jobs and careers and opportunities.

Books are better than movies because you design the set the way you want it to look.

In my life, I was always floating around the edge of the dark side and saying what if take it a little bit too far, and who says you have to stop there, and what's behind the next door. Maybe you gain a wisdom from examining those things. But after a while, you get too far down in the quicksand.

I've learned to recognize, a lot of it forced through the process of recovery, that I'm wired wrong in certain ways; the chemical balance of my brain is off in terms of depression a little bit.

I thought I'd reached the bottom a few times, but then I'd realize there was another 30 floors of despair below that.

For me, 'The Social Network' isn't about Facebook. It certainly isn't about how people use it. It's about a flawed character and his pursuit of that grand idea that defines him and validates his life and how far he'll go to get it, and the repercussions that come as a result of that - what he gives up in the process.

And when the day arrives I'll become the sky and I'll become the sea and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.

Complacency is my enemy.

In my nothing, you were everything, to me.

The dynamic of a relationship changes when one person gets sober.

Last edited by silke; 06-19-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: updated links

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INxx

See Jung's description of the "Intuitive Introvert".

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where would one find such a description?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    where would one find such a description?
    Rocky linked to it a while back. But because you asked I'll get you one.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/psycholo...al_types.shtml

The peculiar nature of introverted intuition, when given the priority, also produces a peculiar type of man, viz. the mystical dreamer and seer on the one hand, or the fantastical crank and artist on the other. The latter might be regarded as the normal case, since there is a general tendency of this type to confine himself to the perceptive character of intuition. As a rule, the intuitive stops at perception; perception is his principal problem, and -- in the case of a productive artist-the shaping of perception. But the crank contents himself with the intuition by which he himself is shaped and determined. Intensification of intuition naturally often results in an extraordinary aloofness of the individual from tangible reality; he may even become a complete enigma to his own immediate circle. [p. 509]

If an artist, he reveals extraordinary, remote things in his art, which in iridescent profusion embrace both the significant and the banal, the lovely and the grotesque, the whimsical and the sublime. If not an artist, he is frequently an unappreciated genius, a great man 'gone wrong', a sort of wise simpleton, a figure for 'psychological' novels.

Although it is not altogether in the line of the introverted intuitive type to make of perception a moral problem, since a certain reinforcement of the rational functions is required for this, yet even a relatively slight differentiation of judgment would suffice to transfer intuitive perception from the purely æsthetic into the moral sphere. A variety of this type is thus produced which differs essentially from its æsthetic form, although none the less characteristic of the introverted intuitive. The moral problem comes into being when the intuitive tries to relate himself to his vision, when he is no longer satisfied with mere perception and its æsthetic shaping and estimation, but confronts the question: What does this mean for me and for the world? What emerges from this vision in the way of a duty or task, either for me or for the world? The pure intuitive who represses judgment or possesses it only under the spell of perception never meets this question fundamentally, since his only problem is the How of perception. He, therefore, finds the moral problem unintelligible, even absurd, and as far as possible forbids his thoughts to dwell upon the disconcerting vision. It is different with the morally orientated intuitive. He concerns himself with the meaning of his vision; he troubles less about its further æsthetic possibilities than about the possible moral effects which emerge from its intrinsic significance. His judgment allows him to discern, though often only darkly, that he, as a man and as a totality, is in some way inter-related with his vision, that [p. 510] it is something which cannot just be perceived but which also would fain become the life of the subject. Through this realization he feels bound to transform his vision into his own life. But, since he tends to rely exclusively upon his vision, his moral effort becomes one-sided; he makes himself and his life symbolic, adapted, it is true, to the inner and eternal meaning of events, but unadapted to the actual present-day reality. Therewith he also deprives himself of any influence upon it, because he remains unintelligible. His language is not that which is commonly spoken -- it becomes too subjective. His argument lacks convincing reason. He can only confess or pronounce. His is the 'voice of one crying in the wilderness'.

The introverted intuitive's chief repression falls upon the sensation of the object. His unconscious is characterized by this fact. For we find in his unconscious a compensatory extraverted sensation function of an archaic character. The unconscious personality may, therefore, best be described as an extraverted sensation-type of a rather low and primitive order. Impulsiveness and unrestraint are the characters of this sensation, combined with an extraordinary dependence upon the sense impression. This latter quality is a compensation to the thin upper air of the conscious attitude, giving it a certain weight, so that complete 'sublimation' is prevented. But if, through a forced exaggeration of the conscious attitude, a complete subordination to the inner perception should develop, the unconscious becomes an opposition, giving rise to compulsive sensations whose excessive dependence upon the object is in frank conflict with the conscious attitude. The form of neurosis is a compulsion-neurosis, exhibiting symptoms that are partly hypochondriacal manifestations, partly hypersensibility of the sense organs and partly compulsive ties to definite persons or other objects. [p. 511]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trent Reznor

Looks like some manly LII.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just have to say that years ago I thought his music was the hideoust I had ever heard, but here he actually looks like a pretty nice guy.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I just have to say that years ago I thought his music was the hideoust I had ever heard, but here he actually looks like a pretty nice guy.
    Then you should hear MZ.412, SPK, Converter or such.

Such music makes NIN look softer.

And LII's are manly

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an interview:

He's an obvious logical type, and he does use a lot of Ne vocabulary. I don't see any Se in him. I can't rule out SLI yet, but I think LII is a really good possibility.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He looks like a combo of Owen Wilson and UDP.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah, yes...that's who he reminded me of. Definetly see Owen Wilson.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    He looks like a combo of Owen Wilson and UDP.
    holy shit, he really does look like UDP.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)

My guess is INTp...Definitely Introverted and definitely intuitive...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.uncut.co.uk/music/nine_in...nterviews/8597

http://pitchfork.com/features/interv...david-fincher/

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertai...-1111113550202

I agree -- he's probably Ni-dominant, although I wouldn't completely rule out INFp (IEI-Ni).
    Although on second thought, I’d say Beta Introvert with emphasis on Se/Ni [IEI-Ni or LSI-Se]. Yet at times I could almost see him as a somewhat angsty/dark EII, although an Se/Ni (Decisive) type is more likely.
    Maybe Ni-INFp (Creative subtype) [INFp-ESTp or INFp-ESFp]. Nevertheless, I wouldn't completely rule out an Fi[-valuing] type like ILI (Ni-INTp).

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see him being anything but ILI. Robert De Niro. Eminem. Both ILIs as well.

I had an ILI instructor last semester. He taught IT project management. I couldn't type him until now. SLE and LIE were my top choices. But now I know for sure that he is an ILI. He is always late to classes. Sometimes we do a half class and we are dismissed. It all depends on how responsive the students are to his lectures. If we seemed like we can't take it because we bored or tired, he would end it or finish the class faster than he usually does. He had one form of quizzes. Once I aced the first I didn't feel like doing the others or even study for them. It became predictable to me. I went to his office with the guys one time and he was very surprised that I didn't do as well in the next few quizzes.

To me, the problem wasn't with the difficulty of his quizzes because they were easy to me. They all depended on memorization. I guess I didn't feel like studying anymore if he wasn't going to challenge me with something more difficult or interesting. I surprised him again in the final because he was expecting me to fail - actually, he didn't think I'd come to the final exam. I aced that and passed the course.

He was one of the few interesting professors I met in college though. He had several projects of his own that we were allowed to participate in. He is also planning to make a students center in college to focus on practical skills that the students could make use of after they graduate. He didn't like that the course was all in writing because to him that is not what we should be doing. This is where he excelled. The most enjoyable times I had in his class where we would do a group session and he would give us something to work on.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

SLI or ILI
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've been listening to alot of NIN lately and this got me thinking...he seems ILI or IEI. Most likely ILI. I cant see him as a sensor, he doesnt have enough self confidence, and SLIs typically have a good degree of it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IXI-Ni (Ni-INXp), I guess. If he is ILI-Ni, I'd say he's the Creative subtype. If he's IEI, I might've said INFp-ESTp, although I'm not sure what he would be using 16 subtypes if he's Ni-INTp (C-ILI). Maybe ILI-SEE.

"Why are you doing this to me?
    Am I not living up to what I'm supposed to be?
    Why am I seething with this animosity?
    I think you owe me a great big apology

(Chorus x 4)
    Terrible Lie

I really don't know what you mean
    Seems like salvation comes only in our dreams
    I feel my hatred grow all the more extreme
    Can this world really be as sad as it seems?

(Chorus x 4)

Don't take it away from me
    I need someone to hold on to . . .
    Don't take it away from me
    I need someone to hold on to

There's nothing left for me to hide
    I lost my ignorance, security, and pride
    I'm all alone in this world you must despise
    I believed your promises, your promises and lies!

(Chorus x 8)

You make me throw it all away
    My morals left to decay
    How many you betray
    You've taken everything
    My head is filled with disease
    My skin is begging you please
    I'm on my hands and knees
    I want so much to believe"

TIM
    SLE-Ti sx/sp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manson vs NIN= sx/so vs sp/sx

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a link about the past 'relationship'/'friendship' between Trent Reznor and Tori Amos:

http://www.hereinmyhead.com/musicians/reznor.html

'The rumor is that Tori and Trent had an actual relationship beyond friendship, which is why there is such intense feelings displayed when either one comes up for the other person. Another rumor is that Tori's song She's Your Cocaine is the "Ballad of Trent and Courtney Love". Finally, Trent's song Starfuckers Inc. has been thought to be related to Tori soley because she uses the word "starfucker" in her song Professional Widow. However, others have noted that Trent's Starfuckers Inc. is actually about Marilyn Manson, and not at all about Tori. Tori has performed Nine Inch Nail's Hurt several times as bridges and intros to her songs, Caught A Lite Sneeze, Precious Things, Bells For Her, and Blood Roses during live concerts over the years. While it is obvious that something happened to the friendship between Tori and Trent, it seems best to assume that we don't really know much at all.'

'The interviewer asks Trent about musicians whom he considers friends: "Tori would be another example. She called me to do this vocal track. It wasn't that big a deal. Her first album was permanently in my car's CD changer. It really struck me as well written, in a similar vein to what I was doing--from a different point of view, but the same kind of addicting, pouring out, gushing, baring, naked kind of song. Other people put their fingers in the pie, and they kind of messed up a friendship. We're not that close now. Some malicious meddling on the part of Courtney Love. But I still feel the same feelings for Tori."-- Trent Reznor; Spin Magazine, 1996'

'T[ori]: When I was writing the song, the song said "I think Trent Reznor would be really good to sing on me." So I made it happen, and I met him. I flew into Los Angeles and I went up to the Sharon Tate house where he was staying. It's a very spooky house, not in the way it looks but just because you know what it is.
    I[nterviewer]: You told me a story about cooking chicken for him in the Tate house which gave you an indication that maybe things were kinetically strange there.
    T[ori]: I can make this chicken. Whatever he tells you, ever, the truth is I make really good chicken. It's oven fried and I've been making it since I was a little kid. It's awesome how it dribbles down your chin and the butter -- yummy. I was worried about his health because he's not eating a lot, it doesn't seem like he is, and I just said "Let me make some chicken. I'd feel really good if I could do that." And so he said "Yeah, come on up and make it. [But] I don't believe you're really as good [at it] as you say you are." And I said "No, I make good chicken, Trent." And so I brought all the ingredients and I swear to you for the life of me, I couldn't make this chicken. HORRIBLE. It's not like I'd been proven wrong. But anything that is cooked there, my chicken being the only experience I had, of course....Nothing bakes. So I don't know what to tell you, but I think it's a very weird place because -- I promise you, I know how to make this chicken!
    -- Tori; WHFS Press, Spring 94'

"I: Exactly. But one of your friends, Trent Reznor. I was reading something about you cooking dinner for him over at that scary house.
    T[ori]: Well, look, he's so anorexic sometimes. I just look at him and go, baby, you need my cooking honey. And he was very open to the idea because, you know, I don't think he gets much nurturing, that guy. There's just not a lot of nurturing going on. Anyway, so I went over there and I brought all my little supplies because they only have Coca-cola in the fridge.
    I: In case you don't know, this is the house where Sheryl Tate was...
    I2: Sharon Tate.
    T[ori]: Yeah. That house.
    I: Yeah. That's a spooky to me.
    T: It's torn down now.
    I2: I want to hear what you cooked, this is interesting.
    T[ori]: Well I was gonna make him baked chicken because like, look, I'm from the South, I know how to make chicken, I've been making it since I was 10 years old, with my Nanny, my Grandmother in the kitchen, where it's dripping down your chin, and that whole buttery thing, right? Well I'm making it, and _nothing's happening_. I mean its just, yes it's cooking right, the oven's cooking, I've made it the same time, the same way that I've made it for 20 years. And it's _not working_. I mean, you know how globs of flour were collecting on the chicken. And, it just wasn't working, nothing was working, and he's standing there with his arms folded thinking he's like, I'm not applying to be your wife or anything. I mean this isn't what's happening anyway. So why are you not giving me a chance? This is wrong. This is your house. And I called my mother on the phone, things got so bad, and I said, Mom, what's wrong, I can't make this chicken for this guy, and she goes, well you know honey, I heard the Folger's coffee heiress was also in that house, and she died that night, and I think there's a curse on anything that has to do with culinary things. And I'm like, thanks, Mom.
    -- Tori; 99X Radio Interview, Aug 5, 1994"

'Way back in 1994, when the only men she was dissecting were her father and God, Amos told Spin, "I love the screaming male aggression of [Trent Reznor's] music, because I'm not in touch with that part of myself so much. I think there ought to be a raging-male cruise line we could take, go to seven islands and just watch these guys act out."-- Tori; Village Voice, Oct 3-9, 2001'

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His song "Echoplex" is basically the theme song of E5s. I think of that every time I listen to it. It's awesome.

EDIT: even more 5-ish material right there.

NIN - Only
    Last edited by Pa3s; 08-10-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've always taken ni base for him for granted but idk why.

http://mrworld.tripod.com/art4.html dualz?

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    I've always taken ni base for him for granted but idk why.
    Yeah, his Ni is strong in this one, imho. (besides the stuff I posted above)

There are things that I said I would never do
    There are fears that I cannot believe have come true
    For my soul is too sick and too little and too late
    And my self I have grown to weary to hate

The more I stay in here
    The more it's not so clear
    The more I stay in here
    The more I disappear
    As far as I have gone
    I knew what side I'm on
    But now I'm not so sure
    The line begins to blur

Is there somebody on top of me?
    I don't know I don't know
    Isn't anybody stopping me?
    Well I'm trying to hold my breath
    Just how far down can I go?
    I don't know I don't know I don't know

As I lie here and stare
    The fabric starts to tear
    It's far beyond repair
    And I don't really care
    As far as I have gone
    I knew what side I'm on
    But now I'm not so sure
    The line begins to blur
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    Te-ILI; 5w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trent is probably IEI

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI 4w5 sx

Under cerulean skies...

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this song the most, of his. Maybe no one cares, but typing him feels cheap. He's a great musician and is willing to put his full emotion into his music. I admire that and would rather just leave it at that.

This one's cool too

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

*NTP
    Last edited by Sol; 04-16-2023 at 11:04 AM.

TIM
    LII, 5w4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, he's LII. 5w4.

TIM
    Te-ILI; 5w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol at LII and ILI suggestions. He is so beta he shits emotions.

TIM
    LII, 5w4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL at the idea of Quadras.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neverthesame View Post
    LOL at the idea of Quadras.
    Lol at you being on a Socionics forum? Quadras are an integral part of Socionics theory last time I checked.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and lol at the suggestion of LII. Just lol.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gravolez View Post
    Lol at LII and ILI suggestions. He is so beta he shits emotions.
    Yeah, and he breaks guitars also.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breaking guitars does not make him anything, or not anything.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breaking guitars does not make him anything, or not anything.
    Really??? I thought... Oh well, I need to study the theory a bit deeper

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    I'd sign off on that typing for him.
    Yeah I mean I think sx is a given, he seems obviously Fe quadra; the only type I could see for him besides IEI is SEI.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LII, 5w4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol at you being on a Socionics forum? Quadras are an integral part of Socionics theory last time I checked.
    LOL at the idea of an EIE being hot.

And what's wrong with the suggestion that Trent Reznor might be a LII? If you think that a LII can't sing, play musical instruments and be addicted to strippers, steroids, alcohol, drugs and rock music, then you don't really know so much about this type. Some LII's have actually lived crazy lives before calming down at a certain age.

TIM
    LII, 5w4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neverthesame View Post
    LOL at the idea of an EIE being hot.
    @Gilly

Rereading that statement of mine, I realize now it sounds rude and offensive. Which is not what I wanted to say at all, on the contrary, in fact I wanted to give you a compliment. Well, nevermind...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast