Thread: A question about concentration

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A question about concentration.

I am curious as to how the different deal with differnet concentration levels. Are you Ti dominant types really that focused? Do you get distracted easily? What about the Ixxps? How long can you concentrate on something? Is it harder for an Extravert?

Discuss.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot concentrate on one thing unless I'm hyperfocusing, which I can only do with interesting things. My answer is multi-tasking.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am generally very easily distracted. However, if I am reading or something, I tune out my environment to the point where if my husband wants to get my attention he has to literally walk over and grab me to get my attention away from the book.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds hot
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahaha

It occured to me that it could be interpreted that way.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    I get distracted really easily.

For example, I am distracted right now. I have a huge project and an essay due tomorrow, and I'm supposed to be working on them. I was, but now I'm on here being distracted.
    I have the same story as you.

Things like work, I have a hard time completing, even if I force myself, which can be frustrating at times, because I need some sort of intersting subject to work on. But, when I'm already working on something, I can be extremly concentrated on it for hours. I also have another problem, in that, if I start working on something, and I'm concentrated and have a good mood about it, I lose it all instantly if someone tries distracts me. Like if someone tells me I have to do something now, and I was in the middle of the project, my enthusiasm is crushed, and it's hard for me to pick it back up again for awhile.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes it's hard to focus, but that's because I get so many ideas. If I'm really working on a problem, though, then I can stay focused for as long as I need to be. Awareness and concentration are interesting.....

I can have a lot of awareness whilst concentrating, in regards to some things. But other things...... not so much. It's complicated, and I'm too busy to write anything of depth right now
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    Oh crap. I just realized why I got on the computer. Bye guys, see ya later!
    ahahahahahahahhaahahhahahahaahahah I love it
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ILENTp
    If something is interesting I can pay attention for hours. To the point where I forget to eat and go to the bathroom and stuff.

If something isn't interesting, like people telling me what to do my mind is a totally different place. I usually tune back in when the person is done talking and says something like "... so what's it gonna be?" and I'm like "wtf? what are you talking about". "I just spent the last five minutes explaning it to you, didn't you hear anything of what I said?!" "Um... no..."
    This is exactly what I do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeia
    If something is interesting I can pay attention for hours. To the point where I forget to eat and go to the bathroom and stuff.

If something isn't interesting, like people telling me what to do my mind is a totally different place. I usually tune back in when the person is done talking and says something like "... so what's it gonna be?" and I'm like "wtf? what are you talking about". "I just spent the last five minutes explaning it to you, didn't you hear anything of what I said?!" "Um... no..."
    ... I thought this sounded more like what perceivers did...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky

I do it. Sometimes I'll miss important information if they catch me at a bad time and ask me something when my mind is elsewhere. I have my best concentration in the mornings.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz

I do it. Sometimes I'll miss important information if they catch me at a bad time and ask me something when my mind is elsewhere. I have my best concentration in the mornings.
    I do it too. I hate when I do it because it makes people feel bad when I don't pay attention to them, so I try hard to pay attention, but sometimes I tune people out anyway and they'll ask me something and I'll ask, "what?"
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

many times people think I'm not paying attention, and then I say I am, and then they say "what did I just say" and then I repeat the past few lines of what they said to them and then they're like "oh"
    SEE

Creepy-

sCXV

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too. And I definitely have a hard time focusing on something I don't feel like doing . . . then I procrastinate.
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A question about concentration.

I am curious as to how the different deal with differnet concentration levels. Are you Ti dominant types really that focused? Do you get distracted easily? What about the Ixxps? How long can you concentrate on something? Is it harder for an Extravert?

Discuss.
    well, it's variable for me. for example, if i have one complex (usually logical) problem and/or it is interesting to me, i easily get obsessed with it. i have an irresistable urge to dump attention to everything else and focus my entire conscious effort to that one problem. in this situation i am not easily distracted, and indeed get really cranky and testy if people try to butt in with trivial things, like it's time for dinner, or maybe you should get some sleep, or someone's on the phone for you. i'd think about it even in my sleep.

on the other hand, when i'm not obsessed about something, i usually multitask pretty easily (with non-challenging/boring tasks). could be said that i need to, or else i'd get bored. like right now. and if i'm asked to listen/pay attention to a lot of details that i find unimportant, i space out easily because it's taking so long between one key point and another, and later i'd have to guess how the conversation had likely developed so that it's not so obvious i've not been listening!

and i also can't concentrate well, or for very long, at doing things that require a lot of attention to detail. and i distract easily from it. (right now - i'm being distracted... ) i have to give myself frequent breaks.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I <3 ADD
    SEE

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Yeah, a lot of people's experiences here and troubles relate to me a lot. I usually get distracted after 5 mins by anything whether it be the television, food and especially the computer. I hate television, though it is more interesting then writing about something I find boring.

Well, I think perceiving types tend to be the most distracted in my opinion.

The worst and most distracted types I think are the ENFPs and ENTPs because their gets bored of doing repetitive things and finds something else in the environment. They tend to have their problems in high school due to the boring repetition.

ESFPs and ESTPs can have the same problem, however they only get bored of reading theory and studying things that are impractical. They tend to have their problems in university/college.

EDIT: Judging types do things in advance, so if they do get distracted it won't matter. I personally think that intuitive types are the most distracted, basically anybody who is a perceiver or intuitive will get distracted and anybody who is both will have it the worst. I think SJs are the only types that don't get distracted. So, that means that eight of the sixteen types could possibly have A.D.D and four would definitely have it. and four types are guaranteed to not have it, which are ESFJ, ISFJ, ISTJ, ESTJ. However, the four types that are guaranteed to have A.D.D. in some form are ESFP, ENTP, ESTP, ENFP. The other eight types straddle the fence and can go either way. It's a lot more complicated I would think though.

The sad thing is, I bet those six types are most likely to be labelled as A.D.D. Anyone who his highly intuitive or his highly perceiving can have it. Though, their lack of concentration is for different reasons. However, you can always have a non-A.D.D. that has strong intuitive or perceiving personality, but they are a minority and I still have to understand what causes lack of concentration.

Great topic, Rocky :wink:
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I perceive myself as a person who cannot concentrate and has problems at completing tasks.

However, truth is that I'm almost always the first at finishing things, and one of the few people who can actually pay attention in class.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I cannot concentrate on one thing unless I'm hyperfocusing, which I can only do with interesting things. My answer is multi-tasking.
    Ditto. Methinks it's the ADHD.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Personally, I perceive myself as a person who cannot concentrate and has problems at completing tasks.

Same here.

I've had a teacher tell me I have huge concentration problems, but then this girl also told me I appear as someone who who is internally self controlled and knows how to master his thoughts.

However, truth is that I'm almost always the first at finishing things, and one of the few people who can actually pay attention in class.
    I can be rather quick at finishing things, but generally I get distracted and dont do alot of the things I planned to do.

So I wouldnt say that I have good concentration, and if I do, it doesnt last very long.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think this is the way lack of concentration it works in my opinion:

Intuitive types cannot concentrate on something that is repetitive and deals with minute details.

Perceiving types have trouble starting projects early and can only concentrate well when under pressure.

Sensor types have trouble concentrating on abstract tasks that deal with theory due to boredom.

Extraverted types mainly get distracted from things that are going in the environment around him/her.

Introverted types mainly get distracted from his/her own thoughts.

So, I think that lack of concentration starts when you encounter something that your personality is awful at doing. If your forced to do something your not functioned to do, your brain will get bored and find something better to do, which is distraction. This is why daydreaming tends to occur from all these types when this happens. The reason each personality type gets distracted and loses concentration is for different reasons.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant the first part, I have no problem listening to people but if they catch me while I'm concentrating on something, like a project or something like that and try to get my attention its usually impossible for them to do so. For example I have a lot of times where I just zone out into my thoughts and dont take notice of anything around me and people have called my name like 10 times with no answer...

Creepy-pokeball

My concentration is wonderful except when Im bored. I have difficulty forcing myself to do something that bores me/ I dont value/etc.