Thread: ENFp's silly switch and cheerfulness

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I also get into mode sometimes, but I avoid that in the presence of ISTjs and ISFjs.
    I sometimes do that on purpose when with ISxj. Like, I see a little crack in the wall, and I say "What if a thief did that crack just to spy us and kill us during the night??"
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll write something on that later.

I agree with what FDG wrote, as usual. You gave a very good description of having as a first function.
    Thank you. I've got to add that it isn't all mine; it's based on a description anndelise posted in that other thread I mentioned. (The first post in that thread. I think it's brilliant.)

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

schrödinger's cat wrote:
    Oh, that's true! And so confusing! Any other types who have silly switches? ISTPs, anyone?

I have to say...I don't have a silly switch if I understand what it means I have "overwhelming emotions" switch, "I want to have fun" switch, "I'm feeling sexual" switch, "I love everything" switch, and probably many more. But I can't see that I have a true silly switch. I can do silly things but I never go totally goofy. There is always some form of self control involved. My INTj friend thinks I'm always silly though.
    have to agree with you XoX. Any other types with silly switches? ENTps? I've an ENTp friend who's just insane, he goes all sexual (on me, but jokingly of course, and no he's not gay) and then he starts making weird noises, he...turns on his to hyperactive mode? He's a natural joke cracker (as in he just walks around with an expression that makes everyone laugh, even when he's not saying anything), so it may not be an ENTp thing. Sorry for not really following the thread but I was to lazy to follow up on what happened recently. I'll go read now

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I'll write something on that later.

I agree with what FDG wrote, as usual. You gave a very good description of having as a first function.
    Thank you. I've got to add that it isn't all mine; it's based on a description anndelise posted in that other thread I mentioned. (The first post in that thread. I think it's brilliant.)
    That was me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    In order to act similar to how the others are referring to as "silly", i actually have to flip a switch to dampen my Ne.
    I realized last night that this "silly switch mode" might very well be what socioniks refers to as the third function for ENFP's. Thinking about it...it fits as best an Se as an ENFP can do.
    This is how I perceive ENFps I know in real life (not many...). Normally they are very Ne but if the conditions are right they can switch to their role function (Se) and become silly for a while. They can even switch to their super-ego SeTi and become ESTps for a while

So I find it a bit confusing many ENFps here claim to be silly all the time

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How does silliness relate to ?
    My expresses itself quite differently (aggression, assertiveness). My silliness is bouncy, happy and playful. How is that ? I rather think it's because it very directly relates to the people I'm with. I direct my silliness at people. But not in a way.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I have strangely found true in many ENTj that we can know how do to things and where to direct situations without knowing why things must be done that way.
    Amateur arm chair theory here, but could that be the result of an ENTJ always having their subconscious going on for them, which works together with any applied and according to the situation at hand? The subconscious just does it's thing according the development or state of the and . Our would turn any such awarness or state into action.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    My expresses itself quite differently (aggression, assertiveness). My silliness is bouncy, happy and playful. How is that ? I rather think it's because it very directly relates to the people I'm with. I direct my silliness at people. But not in a way.
    Maybe you express in a 'silly' way? You can't harm a fly, so in silly mode your 'aggression' could be fed via your creative ways. So it depends on who is reseptive or feeding your which in turn makes you express or an action. Your might be like rolling someone in a blanket. It could be how you do 'aggressive' or action in your way. But you are never truly aggressive in the way you might see it in others. Make any sense? I could be full of it, I don't know. I would imagine being silly with an ENFP is like playing with your creativity and sometimes playing with the 'aggression' which is not harmfull in any way. I see your switch like that.
    Logical-Intuitive Extravert (ENTj)
    TeNi

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Maybe you do in a 'silly' way? You can't harm a fly, so your 'aggression' could be fed via your creative ways. So it depends on who is reseptive or feeding your which in turn makes you do . Your might be like rolling someone in a blanket. It could be how you do 'aggressive' in your way. But you are never truly aggressive in the way you might see it in others. Make any sense? I would imagine being silly with an ENFP is like playing with your creativity and sometimes playing with the 'aggression' which is not harmfull in any way. I see your switch like that.
    No, I really don't. I can be rather aggressive and I don't see how that expression of Se (being assertive and, negatively (is it really?), being hostile and confrontational) would translate into being silly. My Se is usually checked by Fi, but when it's not, I can really blow up. So I really don't think Se is a factor with regards to silliness. Well, it might be in terms of supporting NeFi in DARING to be silly and making a fool out of myself. But I rather think silliness is my NeFi expressing its happy self just as paranoia is NeFi expressing its sad self. Just my theory.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by universal
    I have strangely found true in many ENTj that we can know how do to things and where to direct situations without knowing why things must be done that way.
    Amateur arm chair theory here, but could that be the result of an ENTJ always having their subconscious going on for them, which works together with any applied and according to the situation at hand? The subconscious just does it's thing according the development or state of the and . Our would turn any such awarness or state into action. I think we like people to trust us with our actions, so we it owe it to them that our is based on morals or ethics we feel comfortable with and can trust upon.
    Yeah, that might hold true.

However, my statement sound like we ENTj go around aimlessly by our guts. That's not true - it's more like - when someone explains the ENTj how to do a job, Te-Ni has already figured out the whole shit, and can proceed without all the explanation of the motivations.

Of course, after the action, comes the rationalization.

On a more "personal" level of choice, what you say holds very true - that we like to be trusted in our actions even when we do not give an explanation to it. Of course, ceteris paribus, it's always better to give the "whys" too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, ceteris paribus, it's always better to give the "whys" too.
    Yes, I think the "whys" roughly are best translated by demonstrating each Te, Ni, Si and Fe consciously and consistently. Example, I can tell you why I am looking into socionics a bit, because I see it as positive for my own development and potentially others around me now and over time. As always, you would have to know my character or the "why" so over time you would be able to trust the "why".

However, my statement sound like we ENTj go around aimlessly by our guts. That's not true - it's more like - when someone explains the ENTj how to do a job, Te-Ni has already figured out the whole shit, and can proceed without all the explanation of the motivations.
    Yes, but the more I think about this, I don't think any of the characters final 'expressions or abilities' can be isolated and traced into absolute definite orders of sequence which the internal functions would be following. You can see and understand some of their interelation in isolated steps, but never as a whole constant relation itself. I mean you could still sensibly say that the ENTJ applies Ni consciously and that their Ne in turn mixes it with some black magic intuition and then this function does and that...which would be why we could do some shit like a snap (and others other shit and other snaps). But it doesn't always mean anything as an absolute, it's a tool you can use to form and direct.

To me it's more like interaction of the whole of functions in a character, a neural network interaction. You can make sense of parts of it, but never the whole internal network of functions relating itself. The functions don't act like part of a processor where something goes in and out or follows some constant traceable paths. All we can do is trace some possible causes and effects. So why we as ENTJ might sometimes 'figure out whole pieces of shit', it could be the result of a neural network like interaction between the roles and states as filled by all our functions at one moment. That would mean you cannot absolutely trace it into a sequence or parallel. However, I do think you can still see how things work on some levels perfectly fine. However, trying to trace 'figuring shit out just like that' in a sequential order according to our internal functions I think is impossible and would only result in a superflues agreement having variable truths about them. It can still offer insight nonetheless, because functions do have consequences, but I don't see how any input could be defined in constants, so all you can go by is the result of a 'internal neural network' interacting. Which in turn translates into socionic theories as expressed by our characters.

I think it even applies to funny or silly switches. You cannot isolate it completely, but you can identify some likely results or causes. You cannot understand or foretell it truly because it works like a neural network within your psyche and all parameters of each function greatly varies per character or the observer. You might however agree on results which make perfect sense.

(being assertive and, negatively (is it really?), being hostile and confrontational)
    It's not hostile or negative to me, it's a being silly and funny in my view. It's a switch, right? So any 'confrontation' might then be a blanket, while when the switch is off, you could be on a 'maniacal' rampage I don't want to know about But fair enough, I think I don't understand socionics well enough to truly make enough sense about it, so I could simply be talking nonsense.
    TeNi

Creepy-

No, I really don't. I can be rather aggressive and I don't see how that expression of Se (being assertive and, negatively (is it really?), being hostile and confrontational) would translate into being silly. My Se is usually checked by Fi, but when it's not, I can really blow up. So I really don't think Se is a factor with regards to silliness. Well, it might be in terms of supporting NeFi in DARING to be silly and making a fool out of myself. But I rather think silliness is my NeFi expressing its happy self just as paranoia is NeFi expressing its sad self. Just my theory.
    Makes sense. It's about the whole Kim. I think I understand what you mean, but I could be fooling myself just as easily off-coarse. Anyway, some people will always confuse someones ability to be sweet with the fact that they are happy or that sweet is all what Kim is. Now those are two different things too I think, sweet and happy. Right? Happy is more when you are silly. Am I correct thinking over here you have a frustration which you call a paranoia? I think you tend to turn any mention of sweet instantly into someone not recognizing your whole nature. From what I understand so far, I think this could relate to your Te and either it's appreciation or not enough appreciation or being related to. Does that make sense? I think it could. I do however also think you should consider that when someone tells you you are nice or sweet, it does not have to mean an insult, but tells you someone likes that part of yourselves, it's great how some people can cheer up from it, but it doesn't mean it cheers you up at the same time. Now turning it into an insult on the spot is like being paranoid you are not completely recognized or something. You might want to understand how good sweet and cute can feel to some people who lack all of that. It doesn't mean such persons ignore your Te, but it's just a part they might appreciate as well. I think you are frustrated about the sweetness overruling where you would like to see more Te appreciation. At the same time, it can be confusing or insulting (and self defeating) if you presume others to know about or completely understand you on the spot. mmmmmk?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..sjjjeeeess I was logged out again.. that guest was me
    TeNi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok let me think again...my association of silliness to Se comes from being with Se people and their main mode seems to be happy and playful and if they are very relaxed and feeling secure they can be playful in a childlike way. The comment from Herzy doesn't support this though. And I would not describe them "bouncy" and they can be very assertive too. They always seem very aware of their immediate environment and I guess they never give up control in a way "being bouncy" would require. The ENFp silliness must be different then. I'm not sure if I've ever seen this kind of ENFp silliness in real life but being "bouncy" would mean supressed Se I guess. Being detached from your environment in a way.

And the Fi...I have no idea what kind of behaviour it can cause so I just have to believe you on that

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Universal, what in the world are you talking about? This is about the silly switch and what it's based on, not about me and my attitude towards sweetness, is it?

Sorry, I just feel like people are dissecting me left and right these days. Let's just stick to the silly switch.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Universal, what in the world are you talking about? This is about the silly switch and what it's based on, not about me and my attitude towards sweetness, is it?

Sorry, I just feel like people are dissecting me left and right these days. Let's just stick to the silly switch.
    Though what if the silly switch mutated into several mini switches that decided to attack eachother in all out war. What if the psycho switch won the battle over time and killed all the other switches. NOOOO!!! That would not be good. Then all of a sudden the happy switch was still living because it faked death and then it comes up and saves the day by giving the psycho switch a hug, which killed it! Yay! Three cheers for the happy switch!

Technically the happy switch is the silly switch, or is it?
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by universal

Yes, but the more I think about this, I don't think any of the characters final 'expressions or abilities' can be isolated and traced into absolute definite orders of sequence which the internal functions would be following. You can see and understand some of their interelation in isolated steps, but never as a whole constant relation itself. I mean you could still sensibly say that the ENTJ applies Ni consciously and that their Ne in turn mixes it with some black magic intuition and then this function does and that...which would be why we could do some shit like a snap (and others other shit and other snaps). But it doesn't always mean anything as an absolute, it's a tool you can use to form and direct.

To me it's more like interaction of the whole of functions in a character, a neural network interaction. You can make sense of parts of it, but never the whole internal network of functions relating itself. The functions don't act like part of a processor where something goes in and out or follows some constant traceable paths. All we can do is trace some possible causes and effects. So why we as ENTJ might sometimes 'figure out whole pieces of shit', it could be the result of a neural network like interaction between the roles and states as filled by all our functions at one moment. That would mean you cannot absolutely trace it into a sequence or parallel. However, I do think you can still see how things work on some levels perfectly fine. However, trying to trace 'figuring shit out just like that' in a sequential order according to our internal functions I think is impossible and would only result in a superflues agreement having variable truths about them. It can still offer insight nonetheless, because functions do have consequences, but I don't see how any input could be defined in constants, so all you can go by is the result of a 'internal neural network' interacting. Which in turn translates into socionic theories as expressed by our characters.

Sure. All the association to single, or pairs, of function to specific behaviour are just speculation.

And yeah, obviusly the same functions, placed into another system, would have a completely different input-output process.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    *gushes over Ashton's avatar*
    i was just doing the same thing. <3 god bless it.
    And God bless me for finding it for him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how a thread flooded only with ENFP's and all their silly switches turned on sounds like, like some kind of ENFP silly echo chamber?
    TeNi

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

:wink:

Now that is quite the ENTj reaction!
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do ISTPs have a capability to turn this switch on?????
    {♠x<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸IcEPiCk¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>x♠ }

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IcEPiCk
    Well, it seems as if the ENFp needs to feel happy and comfortable. What do you think? Can you?? :wink:
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think they have their own that enfps turn on. istps are hilarious when they are like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find the best and quickest way to active my silly switch is through music. My friends are always calling me to help them put on a show, usually involving music. I like all kinds of music but especially the happy, poppy songs you can move to. Its like a spell is cast. Suddenly inhibitions seem to fall away (not all inhibitions mind you :wink: ) The next thing you know we are laughing so hard, and coming up with all sorts of ideas. I think what it is, in part, is that music bridges the gap between people. It connects us in a way that we can all understand and so acts like a bridge that is contagious. So its easier to be crazy, pantomine, skip about and interact when everyone is feeling in the flow of things.
    P types are right brain dominant, mixed with when music is played part of my brain says "Its play time" and then I can improvise all kinds of wacky things. I began to notice how energetic and creative I become when asked to make up play or choreograph a dance or make a sculpture or write a song. Sometimes Im blocked and nothing will come out but then suddenly out of the blue BAM! Hey Lets do this! Most of the time Im completely amazed because I dont know where it comes from. It doesnt even seem like it is from me exactly. It seems like the project informs me of what it is to become and the pieces start to fall together.
    Once I started drawing a picture of a pair of work boots. I loved the way the leather looked and how the shoestrings interlocked, crossed and fell. I had no idea what it would really look like when it was done. When I finished it was quite pleased with it but I could hardly stop looking at it because I kept thinking " Where did that come from? Did I do that?"

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Topaz,: Similar here, about music being most conducive to turning my silly switch on. For me, dancing is a for sure way to go.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so we should just drink and blast the music and let you do your thing... noted.

joking, of course
    {♠x<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸IcEPiCk¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>x♠ }

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so we should just drink and blast the music and let you do your thing... noted.

joking, of course
    damn, too bad you were joking
    *wanders off*
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ENFP: Silly Switch

okaaaaaaaayyyyy

so, this elusive silly switch. I love it, I want control over it.

I'm not a drinker, but I got tipsy for the first time a few nights ago.

When that switch is flipped, it feels like it. Calm, silly, tipsy.

Except without the alcohol, in fact it's glorious, loll.

Problem is, I don't have control over it. It happens after I laugh alot, or tell a bunch of funny jokes, or find alot funny. And then I feel somewhat dizzy? I don't know if that's the right word for it. But right after, I'm ON. Like everything that comes out of my mouth is golden. lmao.

So, to my enfp brothers and sisters.

how have you felt? do my experiences align with yours?

Any insights? and most importantly..

how do you activate it?
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not ENFp or anything but I definitely notice it. And yes, it's glorious haha. But you guys are just as cool with the switch off.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither am I ENFp, but it seems to me to be activated by favourable attention and admiration - if they feel that people are appreciating what they have to say, it spurs them onwards to greater things?

That's the way it looks to me anyway.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is funny because I have always had this experience. I would describe it exactly like you did and it is so much fun. I've always also referred to it as "my silly switch." I have not noticed anything like it in anyone else I know.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qbsirena06 View Post
    This is funny because I have always had this experience. I would describe it exactly like you did and it is so much fun. I've always also referred to it as "my silly switch." I have not noticed anything like it in anyone else I know.
    my sis and i have a silly switch. and then we look like identicals. but before we turn it on together, we don't look alike. that's our "thing" together. we will even say the same things at the same time.....mannerisms the same, so forth...

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this silly switch you speak of! It's like all of a sudden a part of your brain activates and you know exactly what to do and say that makes everything hilarious and never seems to bother anyone. It happens with me when I'm completely comfortable with the people I'm at, and if I'm sharing or in the spotlight, it comes out completely. Of course, alcohol does help, but I think it does because it lowers my inhibitions and I feel less needy of security in the comfort sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gay sex
    Last edited by istpunk; 07-17-2008 at 08:28 AM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by istpunk View Post
    I like how ENFPs get all serious when they're trying to be careful. When they're not in their natural environments or environments they control they're incredibly shy and withdrawn.
    Both sentences are very true... The 'silly switch' does not work under these conditions--and I'm glad it doesn't. If it did, I might be living in a little white room right now.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how ENFPs get all serious when they're trying to be careful. When they're not in their natural environments or environments they control they're incredibly shy and withdrawn.
    Yeah, this is extremely true, pretty point blank at how I am lol

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, this is me!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qbsirena06 View Post
    Yep, this is me!!!
    shit! that is me too!!!

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want a silly switch too.

Where may I acquire one.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I want a silly switch too.

Where may I acquire one.
    you're already there. you don't need a "switch". it's us that are more serious a lot of the time that need to just get out of that place and get silly and come back down to earth for a bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast