Thread: Fi

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fi

Would anyone be willing to give a good functional discription of Fi (preferable an ENFp/INFj)? I'm still in the hunt for my type, and I'd like to see someone differentiate the two in a way I can understand.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way you're an INFj. Forget that.

Here's my two cents - -

in INFjs is about high personal ethics, the avoidance of conflict, self-criticism, looking for harmonious relations, acceptance, fearing rejection - until someone does a "vile deed" in their eyes.

in ENFps, being secondary to , is more about variable, inconstant and adaptable emotions, the longing for relationships and exploring possibilities in that area.

What do you think?
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi: Understand dynamics of relationships. Empathy. Personal ethics.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to post one more to get to 900! :-)

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually what I was saying is that I'd like an explanation from an INFj or ENFp (just because their descriptions would most likely be easiest for me to interperet). I don't think I'm INFj, although I haven't ruled ENFp out just yet. I'm looking for something more detailed, so that I'd be able to pick out the little nuiances that would differentiate the two.

Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spent all day brainstorming content free observeations of Fi and Fe patterns of actions and communications. Lost my brainwracked list in the rain. (didn't have a crying smiley face!)

So, ya'll will have to make do with an on the fly, what comes to mind response. (Of course, technically, you won't have to make do with anything cuz you can simply ignore this post.)

With that in mind, I hope that the following will make sense.
    ---

NeFi:
    I receive input.
    I check internally to feel/see if this info strikes an incongruent chord based on my personal understanding and/or my personal observations.
    If dischordant, I place the info into limbo until my understanding or observations can either allow it, implement it, or discard it.
    If no dischord, or if the info is allowed for, then it becomes filed away as one of many possibilities to be kept in mind during future observations/reviews.
    ---

I judge my own actions and attitudes according to my personally proclaimed values.
    I judge the actions and attitudes of each individual according to their individually proclaimed value. (Though I admit that there are times when I judge them based on my personal values.) ((Which then means that I'm not acting according to a personal value of my own.)) (((Which can create all sorts of internal flux.)))
    ---

My communications with others often include comments such as:
    * likes/dislikes (mine, yours, his, hers, etc.)
    * Is it worth it?
    * Which is more important to you, X or Y? (or Z) (or AA)
    * Action X does/not match with value Y.
    * could, maybe, also, another possibility is...
    ---

Most defining ENFP quality I can think of?
    The Ever Constant, All-Consuming: "Or" (or, or, or, or, or)
    ---

Biggest differences I can think of, off hand, between Fi and Fe?

Fi seeks to understand X's criteria.
    Fe seeks to understand X's intent.

Fi is individual oriented.
    Fe is group oriented.

Examples of individual vs group:

Fi = actions/events valued according to person's values or goal's values.
    Fe = actions/events valued according to all those involved.

Fi = maintains distinctions between me/you and mine/yours.
    Fe = seemingly few distinctions, thinks in terms of us and ours.

Fi = pointing out possible ways an individual can attend to his/her own needs.
    Fe = pointing out how to attend to the needs of others.
    ---

One thing to keep in mind regarding Functions is that functions are forms (or processes), not content.

Also, no Function functions in isolation. We can talk about a Function's form, but it is best to keep in mind that the Fi of an NeFi will differ from the Fi of an SeFi.

And finally, just because a person is type NeFi doesn't mean that they can't or never use other Functions.

I guess it comes down to "Outside of work and relationship requirements, which form/process of functioning are you most comfortable with?"
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for exfps i would say seems to be actively involving people in whatever is going on and having fun doing it. extps by contrast maneuver people towards whatever "goal" (I cannot think of a better word) they had beforehand whether or not that fits in with the desires of the individuals involved. for example when an enfp is around a lot of people they naturally generate a party type atmosphere while entps seem to act in that manner mostly when they want to get a party going so they can relax and have fun. when an exfp encounters a person who resists their cheer/joviality they feel rejected and will react by either avoiding the person/trying to understand their perspective (enfp) or by trying to liven them up or occasionally by becoming hostile toward them (esfp). extps by contrast will try to convince the other person that their way is best/more fun or whatever, in other words they will try to change their mind. i know this may not help as i am not or but perhaps it will if you are

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    Most defining ENFP quality I can think of?
    The Ever Constant, All-Consuming: "Or" (or, or, or, or, or)
    This morning I woke up and realized that an ENTP would most likely also do Or or or or. However, I would think that the possibilities that they think about would differ from an ENFP. I would have to talk to an ENTP to discover that difference.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Being an ENFP, whenever I do something wrong, my introverted feeling gets activated and tells me to fix what I'm doing. If I'm in uncomfortable situation my introverted feeling turns on and basically tells me to get the heck out of there. The worst part of the introverted feeling is that when you don't do your homework/project, it punishes you for it for hours, it can be a good thing, but if your a perceiver like me, it can be torturous.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Young_and_Confused
    The worst part of the introverted feeling is that when you don't do your homework/project, it punishes you for it for hours, it can be a good thing, but if your a perceiver like me, it can be torturous.
    Not me at all. I don't have much of a problem blowing off homework unless it's a major project, in which case, well, I do it.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Quote Originally Posted by Young_and_Confused
    The worst part of the introverted feeling is that when you don't do your homework/project, it punishes you for it for hours, it can be a good thing, but if your a perceiver like me, it can be torturous.
    Not me at all. I don't have much of a problem blowing off homework unless it's a major project, in which case, well, I do it.
    Well the introverted feeling is usually activated when a project that has to be due and I ignore it and leave it for the last possible second, it basically bothers me for hours, It didn't get turned on when I skipped homework though, unless the homework was really important. My probably activates my and only if it feels that I would be in big trouble in the future.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy tapdancing jesus. You Fi types have consciences the size of Africa. I'm doubting my ENFp-ness more every day.

Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    Quote Originally Posted by ILENTp
    I can't eat, I can't sleep, I get nauseous.
    That sounds uncomfortable. Do you have OCD?
    Nope. Just plain old garden-variety guilt over something I'd rather not say.
    Diana are you an ENFP? Or an ISFP, ESFP, INFP????. I would assume that an INFP or an ISFP could make them incredibly empathic, but it can also backfire on them greatly.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guilt thing is somewhat different with me. Different in a way that I know when there will be consequences and when there will not for my actions. Sometimes I won't do a task because I will be doing something else then all of a sudden I would get this impending sense of doom and it immediately focuses all of my attention onto the given task which is then completed as soon as possible. Well, before the deadline anyway. This irrational fear drives me to complete stuff. At other times I feel nothing and if I promised or gave my word guild makes me do a task if I haven't done it already. Which I almost always have. I always do my tasks because I would just feel awful if I didn't. I would eat myself alive for being so irresponsible.

I don't know about homework, but I do know that I go into high gear torturing guilt if I do something wrong. Even if nobody else sees it as very wrong, if I do and it goes against my core values, I have a horrible horrible time of it. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I get nauseous. So I'm best off just putting the whole thing out of my mind and focusing intently on something else until I feel better. If I can't make it right somehow, it's even worse, much worse. If I'm able to set things back how they should be, then I'm fine.
    Go, this is sooo me. I had this happen to me once and I had psychical symptoms too. The thing was out of my reach and it kept emotionally draining me for over a month. I still don't like to think about it. Makes me sad and weakens me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think is the function that:

-determines what our emotions are and which thought processes and situations they are connected to
    -determines how to weight emotions in decisions, BOTH our own emotions and other people's
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy tapdancing jesus. You Fi types have consciences the size of Africa. I'm doubting my ENFp-ness more every day.
    If your conscience doesnt bother you for doing something you know is wrong or for not doing something you know you promised you would do then I dont think you are using . It can be very sensitive.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have sympathy for others and all that, but it doesn't really afflict me in the way you guys talk about. I feel bad for starving kids in Africa, but I don't really "feel their pain."

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have sympathy for others and all that, but it doesn't really afflict me in the way you guys talk about. I feel bad for starving kids in Africa, but I don't really "feel their pain."
    If you see a frustrated person in line at customer service trying to get a refund on an item that you also know is defunct, do you feel empathy towards their frustration?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HA! Im not talking about starving kids in Africa! Though that is sad. Im talking about not living up to your word, doing poor work, being dishonest with others, being phony, ignoring others feelings, saying hurtful thoughtless things, being greedy or selfish etc. Yknow being a jerk.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "Topaz
    HA! Im not talking about starving kids in Africa! Though that is sad. Im talking about not living up to your word, doing poor work, being dishonest with others, being phony, ignoring others feelings, saying hurtful thoughtless things, being greedy or selfish etc. Yknow being a jerk.
    Hey, I'm selfish. Used to hate to try to hide how much I am selfish, but not so much anymore.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I'm selfish. Used to hate to try to hide how much I am selfish, but not so much anymore.
    well at least you can own up to it. No need for guilt if it doesnt result in some possitive change.

Topaz

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if we're keeping our word etc mainly because we want to avoid feeling guilty, then that is selfish, isn't it? We try to live ethically in order to feel good. That's a kind of hedonism.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    But if we're keeping our word etc mainly because we want to avoid feeling guilty, then that is selfish, isn't it? We try to live ethically in order to feel good. That's a kind of hedonism.
    Personally, I define goodness or badness of behaviour only by the consequences of the behaviour itslef. It is quite useless to consider motivation.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Personally, I define goodness or badness of behaviour only by the consequences of the behaviour itslef. It is quite useless to consider motivation.
    Useless, maybe...but oh so interesting!!!!
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Yes. This is very nt way of looking at Fi. Almost like although feelings may not be logical, people do have them, so logically you have to take them into account in order to be effective.
    Entp
    ILE