Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type Schmype

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type Schmype

The best thing i've learn about type is this...

A person act's least like their type when relaxed under no stress or duress.

An introvert can easily appear like an extravert when their threshold for being what they usually are not is tested and trained hence the concept of becoming a 'rounded person'.
    Remember to keep things simple and not any simpler like Einstein once said.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that you have to look at the least strained parts of your life to type yourself. That's largely why I have typed myself as I have.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool... i like self-development. simple concept: it doesn't matter what type or blueprint you were dealt when born, we can ALL meet somewhere in the middle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your optimism, snowy. But I really don't know just how much we can change)? Isn't there a limit that you cannot cross? Now that's the big question!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time for some motivational quotes me thinks....

AMBITION
    "Aspire to climb as high as you can dream"

CONTEMPLATION
    "If today was perfect there would be no need for tomorrow"

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ambition is great. it's what I live for.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, but in terms of type, for example, if you are born an INTj, you cannot change your behaviour to be an ESFp, which is at the opposite pole. So my idea is one can change but with some limits, in no way you CANNOT become your opposite. It's just an illuson, imo, that you can be whoever you want to be blah balh blah, such sorts of quotes. Just think about it.

Creepy-

I agree with you, snowyc, about meeting in the middle.

(I loathe motivational quotes but I won't hold that against you )

I also agree with gugu_baba. I don't think you can change who you are.

In terms of functions, it seems perfectly reasonable and normal to be able to strengthen them as far as your potential can go, but I doubt that would change the role of the function. If you were an INTj but had strong enough Se/Fi to be mistaken for an ESFp I'm certain that you'd still be an INTj, just with a muscly super-ego.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed.... I can have a strong conviction to exercise my weaker Fi-Se (superego) functions but at the end of the day i am still an INTj.

A good example... in a typical night club i find myself lost when ESTp's automatically notice my weak Se and dance with say the girl i'm missing an opportunity with. I recognise this dynamic and work myself to get what i want then it becomes easier over time and i don't feel like i'm stuck being a type with a specific intertype relation.

Although at the end of the day, your comfort zone is perhaps your original type.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Type Schmype

Quote Originally Posted by snowyc

An introvert can easily appear like an extravert when their threshold for being what they usually are not is tested and trained hence the concept of becoming a 'rounded person'.
    it's not about appearences. it's what you actually are under those conditions. either you shut down in a group, or you become the group. it's a life force energy.

i think a rounded person would be someone that has equal amounts on all 4 letters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

indeed

it's tension, you sometimes have to stretch but like a bungee you always revert back to an original state of being although the tension loosens over time and then you wonder what type you ever was hence how it is hard to type older people then say 16-25 yr olds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh good, so we're like dogs controlled by a leash!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess so....

a bit like the "the prison without bars"...

nobody is physically forcing us to do anything;

we can only hope to control and understand our minds;

to understand our uniqueness and free-will choices;

a bit like matrix:reloaded;

to not be consumed by our own Ego's;

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16-25 is the age of self-discovery. As teenagers we began to ask ourselves "Who I am ?" so it's natural to find ourselves self-absorbed or even be accused of egocentrism or even newer narcissistic (see Joy's thread) Only then we became adults when we can see and have preoccupations beyond ourselves. And maybe that's why you think adults are harder to type (I don't!), because they accepted themselves as they are and appear more agreeable and tolerable towards themselves and others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gugu_ baba
    16-25 is the age of self-discovery. As teenagers we began to ask ourselves "Who I am ?" so it's natural to find ourselves self-absorbed or even be accused of egocentrism or even newer narcissistic (see Joy's thread) Only then we became adults when we can see and have preoccupations beyond ourselves. And maybe that's why you think adults are harder to type (I don't!), because they accepted themselves as they are and appear more agreeable and tolerable towards themselves and others.
    i think adults are much easier. mostly because many people can't think beyond their arms. and though they realize there is a world beyond themselves, they are usually too self absorbed to really take it all in.

i've been pretty much the same my whole life. i don't think i ever asked "who i am", not even when hit on the head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16-25 is the age of self-discovery.
    Could not have said it better!

To add:

0-8 is the age of psychological flux (no set type)

8-13, perhaps the age where the first function dominates

14-18, perhaps the age where the second function trys to be creative

19-22, perhaps the age where the third role function trys to steer your personal mission in life

etc etc.

can we have some more suggestions for functional development...

Creepy-pokeball

Maybe. I was pretty hyper-ethical even at a really young age. I know this isnt MBTI but you'll read a lot of NF stories about NFs as children and "mad with rage feelings within." But that still isnt the "Who Am I" thing. Theyre still egocentric at that age... eh, I dunno. What do you think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are so used to being who we are that we it is difficult to comprehend being any different unless helped externally, or internally as in the case of some self-leading individuals like the INTj.

Quite simply, typology like anything else is a blessing and a curse... a bit like a rationality to irrationality ratio and therefore, to conquer your fears and woes you must face them head on as ridiculous as they may be.

Creepy-

DON'T BLOW MY COVER

Creepy-

Furthermore, have you noticed the developing flow of confidence that comes from being in such a relaxed state? I tell you something, having x months completely to myself sure has made me realize this, and now, as you may notice, I'm applying it to all phases of my life with tremendous results.

I once read that INTjs "lose" when the get angry.... which relates to us winning when we are more emotionally level and balanced. But that's somewhat irrelevant.

If you know how to play your cards, you can elimiate the weaknesses of any situation, especially if you 'know' where those holes in the defense are going to occur....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    If you know how to play your cards, you can elimiate the weaknesses of any situation, especially if you 'know' where those holes in the defense are going to occur....
    UDP, (love the name btw!)

That is an EXCELLENT REALISATION!

Creepy-

Energy manipuatlion theroies (my own ones)...... maybe I'll get into them someday....

BUt really, what I said there was most vividly shown to me from analyzing defense while playing football (american) video games. Universal laws make me

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm... i know i've been drawn to the strategic approach even since i was a little child. no girly happy games for me when i was 8. my favourite games at that time was 'ancient art of war'. i happily approached everything in strategic terms - studying, scoring in exams, self-realisation, emotional defense. social skills flummoxed me. it was only until i was 12 i realised not everyone thought like this. in fact, hardly anybody does.

but anyway, i thought when you were a child, your 7th and 8th functions are supposed to be more prevalent as they're spontaneous or something, and that as you grow up your two dominant functions assert themselves as active functions. where did i read that now...?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I always think the exams or any tests in terms of what is the technique by which to get maximum points. Sometimes I think I pay more attention to the structure of my answer rather than the content. I do best at multiple choice test, which require to choose A B C or D, often get one of the highest marks than everyone else. I've noticed the tests that require to elaborate, to narrate I am totally swept by them, left in a total perplexity. Obviously at this kind of tests I get one of the lowest marks. =(

I seriously think my 4th function (Se) was let's say..prevalent in relation to the 1st (Ti). Maybe it's because Se is a perception function and Ti is a judging function and I think children firstly discover the world through sensing. Judging (or intelectual, it's the same thing) functions are normally developed as we grow up, our brain develops too and we begin "to think" it's only natural.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirana
    hmm... i know i've been drawn to the strategic approach even since i was a little child. no girly happy games for me when i was 8. my favourite games at that time was 'ancient art of war'.
    I used to play that game a lot!

I didn't know how to play it very well at that age, though. I didn't understand how supply lines worked, formations, etc.
    INTJ

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really?! cool! is this the same game, though? this was when the computer screens only had black, white, blue and pink colours.

i remember learning my first warfare lessons at that age. chief among them was that you defend castles with archers. 50 archers and 10 knights work better than 10 archers and 50 knights. on the plain, archers at the back, knights in front of them, barbarians to skirmish while the knights advance. it was such a simple game from today's pov. and back then there's no introductory tutorial level either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirana
    really?! cool! is this the same game, though? this was when the computer screens only had black, white, blue and pink colours.
    This game, right?
    http://j.lahmy.tripod.com/aaow/subp01.htm
    INTJ

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gasp! it is! oh my God! i thought i'd never see it again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are so used to being who we are that we it is difficult to comprehend being any different unless helped externally, or internally as in the case of some self-leading individuals like the INTj.
    I've just remembered a phrase that said "Hell is the others" (Nietszche probably?? )

I like it, because it shows that if we didn't have other people to compare ourselves with, then we wouldn't face any psychological issues whatsoever (most of them over-exaggerated or unrealistic), or in other words we would be just fine. (mentally)
    I think it's entirely the external factor that makes one feel bad about himself/herself.

So my warmly advice to you all: F**K the world

p.s. and why the need to be any different, after all? Isn't socionics say that we all have a role just the way we are? Why do we need to change?

Creepy-

p.s. and why the need to be any different, after all? Isn't socionics say that we all have a role just the way we are? Why do we need to change?
    Thankyou! *worship*

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just remembered a phrase that said "Hell is the others" (Nietszche probably?? )

I like it, because it shows that if we didn't have other people to compare ourselves with, then we wouldn't face any psychological issues whatsoever (most of them over-exaggerated or unrealistic), or in other words we would be just fine. (mentally)
    I think it's entirely the external factor that makes one feel bad about himself/herself.

still, knowing (believing?) that we all have a role the way we are doesn't help so much in the outside world, unless they too believe the same thing.... except maybe to increase perseverance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why I'm asking because I know we have to change, "to live" means "to adapt". But isn't socionics say that in dual relations, you don't have to change? I don't intend to start an argument about the theory and if it is right or not, because it's obvious it's theory and all theories are just theories, I mean they apply to reality but in a distorted way.That's because, you know, the world isn't perfect. The concepts are perfect instead, the environment in which they are applied isn't perfect. And that's why we may be inclined to believe that the theory isn't perfect, just because when the concepts are applied in reality they are "contaminated" and the result may be contradictory. And since the world isn't a fairy-tale, this is how I see that we have to change, even we like it or not. We can't avoid it, we have to play by the imperfect rules.

Sorry for the diggresion I had to take this off my chest

EDIT Yeah I know I am a bit idealistic. I like to play fair, and that's why I am rebelling against this unfair world.

Creepy-

I don't think we need to change but it doesn't hurt to put on a mask when necessary.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. We all have a base personality. We also have a contextual personality. We can all learn to be a little bit of what we need to be in order to effectively communicate and engage with varying types of people. In doing so we may become 'rounded people'.

For example, as an introvert i found that i needed to learn to be more assertive i.e. become a type 2 introvert who is self-confident and isn't shy to say what he or she wants without fear of sounding silly.

Conversely, an extrovert should arguably choose to learn how to become more solitary and quiet which introverts are experts at i.e. to think before they act.

Extroverted people need to understand introversion for their own sanity i believe. I believe it's my duty to teach E types to calm down to be more like I types, afterall, they outnumber us 3 to 1.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extroverted people need to understand introversion for their own sanity i believe. I believe it's my duty to teach E types to calm down to be more like I types, afterall, they outnumber us 3 to 1.

I agree on the first part of the sentence; however, are you sure of the 3:1 ratio?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm E/I (accept when I've drank too much coffee then I'm E all the way ). I like being able to bounce back and forth between the two. When I'm excited about something I can overwhelm people with information. I'm slowly learning to control my mouth and overtime of finding creative ways to motivate myself to pay attention to details, I actually enjoy it now after I give myself that initial kick in the arse to get me going.

When I'm under stress though I get more introverted to the point I start losing perspective so have to force myself out the door to be with people to snap me back. If I don't do that, I get so wrapped up in thought that I get little done to actually solve the problem.
    Polly
    ENTP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I agree on the first part of the sentence; however, are you sure of the 3:1 ratio?
    I guess it depends where, perhaps in a typical night club. E's would usually take the initiative to ask the I's out. It's seldom the other way around at least until the I's reach a certain age where they magically become more E.

I think ISFp's are the most extraverted-appearing of the introverted types due to being of the Artisan temperament or sensation-seekers or experiencers. In a word, FUN is their motivation. They are usually easily noticed in a night club. Usually hussled together teasing guys with their artistic appearance, maybe smoking, maybe sucking lollypops, maybe quietly enjoying themselves. They can also appear as the stereotypical "dumb blondes" though not when it comes to harmonious FUN, they definately understand this more (by default) then any other type in the Alpha quadra as i have observed.

Nothing get's an INTj excited more then an active ISFp. I tend to adore them like i would adore the comfy looking pandas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast