Thread: Delta relaxed nature and sleep patterns

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Delta relaxed nature and sleep patterns

Delta is often associated with having a relaxed and easy-going nature. Does this extend to sleep? Do delta vary there sleep length and the actual time they go to sleep more than the other quadras? Are regular sleep patterns uncommon in delta? Are sleep patterns determined largely by type or are they determined more by external factors, eg work etc?

Any thoughts?
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sleep long. I sleep well. During summer, I do what was mentioned above, except with a family to kinda "anchor" me.
    Beware! Nerd genes on the prowl.

INFj - The Holy CPU Saint
    Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord
    I sleep long. I sleep well. During summer, I do what was mentioned above, except with a family to kinda "anchor" me.
    How I wish I could be more like that. I dont sleep long or well. I go in fits and starts and when I do I wake up from time to time. I usually go to bed about 11 or 11:30 and wake up-the first time- around 3:30, sometimes I get some water or if Im too lazy, just go back to sleep. I wake up again at 5:30 and if I can I'll get out of bed and go exersize. If I still feel sleepy I'll go back to a light sleep until 6-6:30. During the winter months I sleep until 6:30 more often but in the summer- forget it. I wake up with the sun. The older I get the better my sleep. When I was a kid Id go to bed around 12 and wake up at 4:30 or so. And dont start talking about something interesting before I go to bed. My mind would start running and I wouldnt be able to shut it off. Then Id be exhuasted in the morning. Strangely though I am not grouchy at all. Even when I dont sleep well I still feel cheerfull and relaxed during the day, but drowsy around 6pm. Some people used to hate me for being a morning person. I am not a night person. After 11:30 Im not much use to anyone.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Creepy-

i like to sleep a lot and i usually try to do that. at school, i average about 7-9 hours of sleep during the week, depending on what time i have class. but during the holidays when i have nothing to do, i wont wake up until 11 or so (getting about 8-10ish hours) which kind of makes me feel lazy, but i figure, i have nothing else to do! the only time i have trouble sleeping is when i have to wake up early for something big, like a trip. i can't sleep and wake up constantly, thinking i have overslept my alarm. other than that, i like to sleep as much as possible. my dreams kick ass!

Creepy-

dangit, that was sunflower. sorry about the forgetting to sign in! i'm concentrating on the sushi i am about to eat.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting.

I do this also, when i don't have to get up early, such as on weekends or when on holiday, i get up later, much later sometimes, and sleep longer. Going from roughly 1:30am-8:30am (7hrs) during the week to 4am-1pm (9hrs) on holidays is typical, adjusting back after a holiday break can be tough though. Personally i feel sleep is very important to health and well-being and really dont like cutting it short unless i have to.

I know an ENFp, and have an INFj friend who do this also, so think it must be a delta thing. Can you imagine an ISTj doing this? I can't.
    Friendly ISTp
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know if its a Delta thing or not but I couldnt hang with that schedual flower. I guess Im too much of a morning person. At 4am, no matter what time of the year, I like to be asleep. If I went to bed at 4am I'd be so tow up the next day, it wouldnt be funny. ok maybe it would be.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Creepy-pokeball

Hmm my ENFp friend falls asleep super easy. I can be talking to her/watching a sitcom and poof!...she's out like a light. My Fi/Se friend requires a ton of sleep as well. I dont get it to be honest. Ive always slept little and honestly never look forward to sleep except when Im exhausted or had "one of those days." My mother (tests as an INFx but my guess is Fi/Ne) sleeps like clockwork as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went through a weird phaze for a couple of years where I could easily fall asleep-when I wasnt suppose to. Like there is a deadline on a paper, but *yawnn* maybe I'll finish it tomorrow before class. I'll just get up super early. Yeah right. Or Id come home and fall on the bed and start dozing then after about 30 minutes I say to myself 'you have to get up and brush your teeth and get out of these clothes'. So I drag my self up, wash my face, brush and floss, put on sweats (if it cold) and get into bed. And then ... I cant sleep. All that activity got me awake and thinking and I cant fall asleep for another hour or so. So then I decided to fake myself out. Id come home, brush my teeth, wash my face and so on. put on my old jeans and a shirt like I was going somewhere, then flop on the bed and I would fall fast asleep. After a while I got into the habit of getting dressed to go to bed. Isnt that crazy?

Topaz

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand there are two types of genes thats have been identified, 'morning' and 'evening' genes, probably completely unrelated to type which explain some of this. Lol, getting dressed to go to bed is funny topaz hehe.
    Friendly ISTp

Creepy-pokeball

Like on the PEPS test I showed? I should have asked the psychologist that gave it to us about genetics... I was an evening person. I loathe morning... except for some mornings where no one is out and about and everything is peaceful. I like the uh... serene yet apocolyptic feel to it lol. That sounds odd, eh?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, those tests that ask what time you sleep, what time you would do physical activity if you needed to be at your best, what time you are most alert mentally etc etc etc try to test this genetic distinction, genetics tests can be done in a lab to get an accurate result. The categories are owls and larks, they are distinct, however there is a lot of variability in each category so the distinction is not seen in everyday life very easily.

There are common sleep patterns in all humans, the average circadian rhythm is around 25 hours, this 'clock' gets reset by the environment daily, mostly by receptors on the back of the retina via sunlight. The circadian rhythm has 2 natural 'dips', at night and a small one at lunchtime, and its generally easier to stay up by X amount than it is to get up by X amount in one go, due to survival reasons during our history. 'Owls' however find this last point a lot easier than 'larks' and have in general a better abilty to vary sleep times and patterns, although they are more likely to suffer from poor quality sleep, insomnia and other sleeping disorders.
    Friendly ISTp

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, i know an INTp who is an strong evening person ('owl'), it still seems to me that type does effect sleeping patterns though, possibly just via general attitude to life or something. Maybe variablity in sleep is a p thing, which reflects their more spontaneous style of life, and j's have more regular sleeping patterns due to a stronger adherence to their internal rules, instead of being delta thing.

Maybe im just crazy
    Friendly ISTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would depend upon the j.
    My sleeping pattern, for instance, is FUBAR. I have to psyche myself out every morning in order to get up.
    I try to get to bed by 9 now, in the US, and by 11 back home in Norway, but it is easy to override that schedule. For instance, if I feel like watching an episode of Star Trek/Firefly/Babylon 5 before bed. The result? "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!"

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord
    That would depend upon the j.
    My sleeping pattern, for instance, is FUBAR. I have to psyche myself out every morning in order to get up.
    I try to get to bed by 9 now, in the US, and by 11 back home in Norway, but it is easy to override that schedule. For instance, if I feel like watching an episode of Star Trek/Firefly/Babylon 5 before bed. The result? "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!"
    You go to bed at 9pm? Uhmm.... what time do you get up? Do you work in a shipping yard and have to be there at 3am?

Topaz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In high school, I used to go to bed around 9 and get up at 5 (and I still need 8-9 hours to feel rested). That way I'd have a few hours alone in the mornings before everyone else woke up. Almost wish I could get back to that schedule because I like mornings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    You go to bed at 9pm? Uhmm.... what time do you get up? Do you work in a shipping yard and have to be there at 3am?
    I get to bed at 21:00 and get up at 06:30.
    Of course, there's no such thing as insta-sleep...

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was young I used to sleep a lot. Like about 12 hours. *Feels so cute and cuddly* And then I couldn't sleep most of the time when I went to school. My mind was overactive, but usually unable to finish whatever I was thinking before I dozed out. I've heard someone say something about sleeping in another thread, was it Rocky? Like we think too much before we sleep or something? Yeah I've this feeling delta has a lot of these. Anyone confirming it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBlade
    When I was young I used to sleep a lot. Like about 12 hours. *Feels so cute and cuddly* And then I couldn't sleep most of the time when I went to school. My mind was overactive, but usually unable to finish whatever I was thinking before I dozed out. I've heard someone say something about sleeping in another thread, was it Rocky? Like we think too much before we sleep or something? Yeah I've this feeling delta has a lot of these. Anyone confirming it?
    Yes, I will confirm that! My mind could run like a steam engine whose destination was 3am, even though I hit the sack at 11. Even in my dreams my mind would be active. My muscles would tense up and I clenched my teeth to the point were the dentist said I even cracked the molars It was suggested that I excersize vigorously to rid myself of any unconcious stress. It has helped. I have to stretch all the time, like a dancer to loosen up my muscles. Then I go for a run. This morning I was listening to Mars Volta-Take the Veil Cerin Tax- as I trudged up a steep hill. What a rush. But now I feel great

Topaz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that happens to me too. The few times that I can actually fall asleep very quickly are when I'm mentally and physically very tired. When I try not to think, I somehow end up thinking anyway, and then is when I laugh at myself :wink:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Delta and Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by flower
    Delta is often associated with having a relaxed and easy-going nature. Does this extend to sleep? Do delta vary there sleep length and the actual time they go to sleep more than the other quadras? Are regular sleep patterns uncommon in delta? Are sleep patterns determined largely by type or are they determined more by external factors, eg work etc?

Any thoughts?
    I have serious sleeping pattern problems. I find it impossible to keep a steady sleeping pattern. I just sleep whenever. Only when I'm in a situation where there are several people sleeping in same space and some social pressure involved (like in the army) my internal clock works as it should

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Quote Originally Posted by flower

Any thoughts?
    I have serious sleeping pattern problems. I find it impossible to keep a steady sleeping pattern. I just sleep whenever. Only when I'm in a situation where there are several people sleeping in same space and some social pressure involved (like in the army) my internal clock works as it should
    Dont you guys have like 6 months of daytime and 6 months of night? OK I know its not that sever but Finland has some funky seasons. That would certainly screw up my sleep patterns. Once I was in Patigonia, near the south pole. the sun didnt go down, at least not for long. It sort of dipped below the horizon for and a couple of hours and then started coming back up. I had all this energy too. It was wild

Topaz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    Dont you guys have like 6 months of daytime and 6 months of night? OK I know its not that sever but Finland has some funky seasons. That would certainly screw up my sleep patterns. Once I was in Patigonia, near the south pole. the sun didnt go down, at least not for long. It sort of dipped below the horizon for and a couple of hours and then started coming back up. I had all this energy too. It was wild
    Well not quite 6 months but in Northern Finland (Lapland) there is a period of nightless night in summer and dayless day in winter Where I live it is like 18h/6h night/day cycle in midwinter and 6h/18h in midsummer. And it does affect sleeping patterns for many people. In winter many are just SAD
    ( http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/27.cfm )
    and the summer can cause mild mania

The winter in Northern Finland isn't all that bad though. Sometimes nature can produce some freaky and artistic views:
    http://www.maion.com/photography/lap...rs_fi_p60.html
    http://www.maion.com/photography/lap...rs_fi_p73.html
    http://www.maion.com/photography/lap...rs_fi_p74.html
    http://www.maion.com/photography/lap...rs_fi_p81.html
    http://www.maion.com/photography/lap...rs_fi_p90.html

I guess it is similar near south pole. I just wonder what you were doing there I know it is nice to travel south sometimes but THAT south

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it is similar near south pole. I just wonder what you were doing there I know it is nice to travel south sometimes but THAT south
    I dunno, :wink: I love to travel and a friend of mine said "Hey Im going to Brazil and then Buenos Aires and Patagonia. Wanna come?" and I said "Lets go!" and we went. It was one of my best trips. I decided to take a trip out of the country every other year if I can afford it. This year Im cheating (I returned to Brazil last year) because I am going to Prauge for a convention, Barcelona and maybe Moracco (all on the same trip). I was considering including Belgium but I think that would be too much for one trip and I only have so much money :wink:
    Has anyone been to Antwerp? Ive been hankering to check out their museums.
    XoX those were awsome pictures. I think if I were there I'd feel like I was on a different planet. Im really a warm weather, tropical type person (I could disappear amongst the Brazillians) but I love that big, open majestic feeling of mountains and snow.

Topaz

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was beautiful. Those funny iced thingies, are they trees?
    Heh I liked the last picture it reminds me of endings that never end. Of days which seems to last forever, of a sun that doesn't want to set. Really really pretty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back home, we have two months of nonstop day opposed by two months of nonstop night. It is interesting. The two months of day come during summer break, too, and that is just neat.

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah