Thread: domestic life

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default domestic life

It seems natural that some types would be more inclined to feel comfortable in a domestic setting. For example, ENFjs seem to be born homemakers, with INTxs seem to be the type that never really gets into the whole domestic thing.

As for myself, I'm not exactly a great housekeeper... having the dishes sit in the sink for a few days is not at all unusual. I LOVE cooking, but lately I haven't been cooking just because I don't see the point in putting forth all that effort so I can eat alone. As far as errands... well, I get lazy about going grocery shopping and whatnot as often as I ought to as well. However, I moved in with my boyfriend 3 days after I turned 18. Other than the fact that the relationship sucked ass, I wasn't at all umcomfortable, even at that young age. Are some types more likely to be born ready for that lifestyle? Are there some that are likley to never be ready? And which types are likely to not necessarily be "born ready", but do enjoy that lifestyle when the time comes?

I guess I'm wondering NOT about which types are good at doing the whole domestic life thing, but more so which types are comfortable in it. Sooooo... post your age, your type, and your opinion.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESFj = housewife.

That's why ENTp's have the best activity relation. When the great sex runs out, she can always clean your shit.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so if I get an ESFj housewife I won't have to clean anymore?! Where can I order one of those?
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russian Bride Hotline?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-pokeball

Uhm, you all can clean up your own messes =p

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pfft

don't worry though, I'll hire someone instead of getting a mail order bride same benefit, but less commitment and hassle
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this thread isn't about doing chores though, it's about how comfortable you are in a domestic lifestyle

For example, Josh is not comfortable, to the extent that he has no clue what's up with anything. I've had to run the household entirely on my own. Sure, he may do something if I ask him to, but in the end, I am the one who is responsible for whether things do or do not get done.
    SEE

I live alone, so I guess I just pick up aftre myself. But, I can't stand it if my house is too clean.

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    this thread isn't about doing chores though, it's about how comfortable you are in a domestic lifestyle

For example, Josh is not comfortable, to the extent that he has no clue what's up with anything. I've had to run the household entirely on my own. Sure, he may do something if I ask him to, but in the end, I am the one who is responsible for whether things do or do not get done.

Welcome to gender conditioning =p Trust me, washing dishes is not rocket science. As for preference for it, geez..I like order and still think it's a shitty job.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trust me, with this one it has nothing to do with gender!
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

Then Im lost cause I have no clue how someone could be uncomfortable at such an easy job. The only thing I'd admit to is that washing clothes is somewhat of a jig saw. But theyre all things live with much of their lives. It's not like when I learned how to oxy torch for my first time and realizing that I was was clumsy enough to actually torch the line. That was the first time being around that.

Creepy-Diana

Creepy-pokeball

Ahh, now we are getting somewhere. I could see an arguement for Fe due to personal considerations of others + organization of time. However, that still wouldnt excuse others from being lazy...ahems.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy

Welcome to being married to a man.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good topic. I like a clean house but I don't like constantly picking up after people to keep it that way. The biggest bummer about housework is the fact that when you have a husband and kids, the thing you just cleaned becomes instantly dirty again, so you feel like you wasted your time. My tolerance for dirt has increased exponentially since being single. Who wants to spend every second of their free time cleaning?

I enjoy cooking when I want to do it. The constant daily routine of cooking is a pain, though. Especially when you go through all that and then your kids won't eat.

I like to decorate even though it can be expensive. I love when a room is freshly decorated and painted. It's like a breath of fresh air. I like to re-arrange furniture, too.

Shoveling snow sucks the big one. Cutting the grass, too. I'd rather shovel than cut grass, though.

Creepy-

Having kids must be mega rough, I don't wanna ever have any =/
    But as far as chores go I actually enjoy cutting grass and shovling snow because it's a good work out and I feel that I actually get something from it =D

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, kids are a whole lot of work... the older my son gets the less I feel I want another.

And like I said before, with Josh it is not a gender thing. He's just not suited to a domestic lifestyle.

What I really want more than anything else in a maid. Someone to do dishes and sweep and take out the garbage and stuff. Is that so much to ask? The problem with cleaning services is that they only come once every week or whatever, they're more for like vacuuming and bathrooms and stuff. Of course, I don't have any carpeting in my house... You know, the whole concept of carpeting is really gross when you think about it.
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Good topic. I like a clean house but I don't like constantly picking up after people to keep it that way. The biggest bummer about housework is the fact that when you have a husband and kids, the thing you just cleaned becomes instantly dirty again, so you feel like you wasted your time. My tolerance for dirt has increased exponentially since being single. Who wants to spend every second of their free time cleaning?

I enjoy cooking when I want to do it. The constant daily routine of cooking is a pain, though. Especially when you go through all that and then your kids won't eat.

I like to decorate even though it can be expensive. I love when a room is freshly decorated and painted. It's like a breath of fresh air. I like to re-arrange furniture, too.

Shoveling snow sucks the big one. Cutting the grass, too. I'd rather shovel than cut grass, though.
    Shared responsibility is best. You will find an uneven distribution of domestic labor if you seperate indoor-female and outdoor-male when both work full-time. Guess who's going to be resentful? That's why sociologists will tell you that the two best types of marriages are tradtional (patriarchy or matriarchy with an equal but split division of labor) or egalitarian. The mixtures in between, primarily dual-career/traditional, fail fast because it creates issues of inequity. The problem now is that the former soultion is beyond difficult in current times plus it creates a scenario where the domestic-side partner becomes trapped with few options if they want out of the marriage. Which is why egalitarian marriages are rising (roughly 10% now). Since America's traditional role is primarily patriarchal-- fellas, quit being lazy! And ladies-- lawn mowers take 2 minutes to learn.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, or hire someone
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

That's what my prior sociology professor did LMAO Soooo worth it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze

Shared responsibility is best. You will find an uneven distribution of domestic labor if you seperate indoor-female and outdoor-male when both work full-time. Guess who's going to be resentful? That's why sociologists will tell you that the two best types of marriages are tradtional (patriarchy or matriarchy with an equal but split division of labor) or egalitarian. The mixtures in between, primarily dual-career/traditional, fail fast because it creates issues of inequity. The problem now is that the former soultion is beyond difficult in current times plus it creates a scenario where the domestic-side partner becomes trapped with few options if they want out of the marriage. Which is why egalitarian marriages are rising (roughly 10% now). Since America's traditional role is primarily patriarchal-- fellas, quit being lazy! And ladies-- lawn mowers take 2 minutes to learn.
    I agree. My marriage has been egalitarian. The only thing he won't do is fold laundry and pick up. Recently it's becoming less so . . . maybe its because I'm earning more than he for the first time.

I've tried cutting the grass - I'm just not into it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Joy: yeah the carpet thing is gross. That's why I have hardwood! :wink:

Creepy-pokeball

If you want a horticultural veiw on the lawn issue, here you go:

landscape to minimize the lawn to the least possible size of function and buy one of the newer push-reel mowers. Of course I did this to have as many plants as possible but... it works for minimizing labor, too.

I agree with carpet, too. There's a whole microcosm down there!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and most people call me a germ freak when I say that!
    SEE

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't like housework. but i do them. i consider it maintenance. set a schedule so that things don't get to a point of disrepair and messiness where i'd get irritated.

i feel much better if there are systems running in the background whereby the basic maintenance of a house are in order, and the junk is recycled regularly, etc. i sometimes put specific tasks off, but eventually do them.