View Poll Results: Which one are you for?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • ProChoice

    25 56.82%
  • ProLife

    12 27.27%
  • indifferent

    7 15.91%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 277

Thread: ProChoice vs ProLife

  1. #81
    Gone. theMime.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Yea, that's how the law works, it's not very forgiving. But I want to be forgiving on the subject of abortion so I don't want the law to outlaw it. And thankfully it is protected until people outlaw it again, which will happen, which will make me sad and make me lobby for it to be change back and it will change back... and it'll start over again... and people will fight this battle over and over and over and over and over until someone figures out a better solution. And TBQH, it's just a huge pain in my ass that instead of people working towards better solutions, the work at better ways to denigrate and imprison each other. So.. yea it kinda of pisses me off. So yea, for a lot of people out there.. better solutions, not better prisons.
    wow.
    =)
    <3

  2. #82
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,814
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    On the other hand, living in the womb is a known and expected need of the fetus, whereas donating blood is not a common need for born children.

    And I wouldn't be so sure that you couldn't be forced to donate blood to save your daughter, if someone bothered to sue you about it (and had a good case that there was no other way).

    Granted, it's rare to not be able to handle a situation with money alone. Even in the case of the fetus, you can often pay a hospital to take care of it.
    There is no way that someone could sue me for not giving blood to my daughter. Someone could call me a bad mother, but I do truly own my body parts.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  3. #83
    Gone. theMime.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    No but if you latch onto them and live off their blood and organs, they can kill you to get you off them.
    So it's different then?
    Different actions are allowed for different rights that are infringed upon.

    If I infringe on someone's property rights they can't shoot me but if I suck their blood (ewww hahahaha) they can.

    We're parasites 'till we're born.

  4. #84
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I'm still kinda of a parasite..
    lol that's what I was gunna say

  5. #85
    Currently God Brilliand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    4,245
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    So yea, for a lot of people out there.. better solutions, not better prisons.
    Ah ha ha... that reminds me, the prison system is ridiculous. I think it would be better to make the penalty something simple and dumb, like a fine and a "cease and desist" order (translation: shut down the hospital)... or tax hikes. No need to make it a burden on the government.



    LII-Ne

    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

    Johari

  6. #86
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    6,126
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Gah. This isn't about respect for life IMO.

    These are the reasons I'm pro-choice (listed from highest importance to least importance):

    1. Making it illegal is not going to stop it from happening imo. I imagine it will lead to having it continue in the black market sense, illegally and unregulated. As such, not only will you lose the embryo, but you might lose the mother as well. Narcotics are illegal... but... people still use them... Since when has making something illegal that people want to do anyway stopped anyone? In other words, I think making it illegal will make the problem worse not better, and so for being all "pro-life" you won't really save many (if any) lives. In fact I think there are better ways to reduce the abortion rate (why not try to figure out what will actually decrease the rate and then start implementing... why not try something that has a higher chance of success?).

    2. There are certain instances where it may need to happen anyway. Maybe if carried to term, the baby will endanger the life of the mother. Maybe the baby is horribly disfigured. Maybe the baby was born with some terrible disease and it's not going to make it long anyway when born... etc. There's also the issue of rape... which is a-whole-nother mess. Pregnancy is a time-sensitive matter and courts can take a really long time to make decisions... the two are incompatible. Furthermore, this doesn't belong in the hands of the courts because they'll only fuck it up.

    3. Let's say it is illegal. What happens to women who have an abortion and then are arrested for it? Do they go to prison? For having an abortion? What sort of law enforcement would we be talking about? Don't we have enough people in prison already? Do we really need to add women who had abortions to the prison population? Doesn't that seem outrageously backwards?

    4. The government with its strong patriarchal and Judeo-Christian influence has no right to impose its will on the female body in this way. Absolutely none. Perhaps they should make laws about who I can and can't have sex with while we're at it. I don't like the idea of abortion. And I can't predict what I'd do in every scenario... even if I think I'd never have an abortion... but I do not want the government telling me what I can and cannot do with my body. It isn't their place and it isn't their business. And I don't trust them to make decisions in my best interest. And I don't want them making my choices for me.

    I think this *is* a moral matter, but it is *not* and should not be a legal one. And that's why being pro-choice and anti-abortion are not mutually exclusive (though I wouldn't necessarily say I'm 100% anti-abortion)... Pro-choice and Pro-life are *legal* stances, not moral ones. It's not a question of whether you value life or not... it's about whether you want abortion illegal or not... I think that making abortion illegal won't save lives anyway and will make things worse... so why would I then want it illegal?

  7. #87
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i don't take a side but i think pro-life organizations should put every single cent they have towards informing people of contraceptives.
    asd

  8. #88
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's so simple.
    If you are pregnant you may have your baby.
    You have the right to.

    If you are not pregnant, then fuck off.
    You don't have the right to decide how a woman uses her body.
    In fact, it doesn't even directly affect you at all!

    If a woman chooses not to have a baby, it does not directly affect you.
    People are not born all the time.

    Ladies: If you're not okay with that, then go get pregnant.
    Gentlemen: Go knock up the nearest chick you can find. Because her egg deserves life too!
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  9. #89
    Gone. theMime.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    It's so simple.
    If you are pregnant you may have your baby.
    You have the right to.

    If you are not pregnant, then fuck off.
    You don't have the right to decide how a woman uses her body.
    In fact, it doesn't even directly affect you at all!

    If a woman chooses not to have a baby, it does not directly affect you.
    People are not born all the time.

    Ladies: If you're not okay with that, then go get pregnant.
    Gentlemen: Go knock up the nearest chick you can find. Because her egg deserves life too!
    Well it wouldn't directly affect me if Sally killed Bob either but they still both have the right to live.

  10. #90
    I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    ILE/ENTP-A
    Posts
    3,548
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I identify more with pro choice, but it isn't the path I would choose for myself. I would rather sacrifice my own lifestyle than abort a child. But then again, I would never want to impose a belief that is so influential on a person's life based on my own opinion, nor would I want to oppress people. But there should be a cutoff point, IMO, somewhere near the end of the first trimester. So.....pro choice.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .



  11. #91
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theMime. View Post
    Well it wouldn't directly affect me if Sally killed Bob either but they still both have the right to live.
    Okay, then go get pregnant.
    Hurry up, wouldn't want to deny your egg the right to live!
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  12. #92
    Gone. theMime.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    Okay, then go get pregnant.
    Hurry up, wouldn't want to deny your egg the right to live!
    i don't like eggs.

    oye matter of opinion.

    IMO egg = not a life. You were right you know...completely... about potential lives that is...it's not about potential lives...it's about when a life is a life. I don't care about potential lives I only care about lives.

  13. #93
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    lol@the ad for this page


  14. #94
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theMime. View Post
    i don't like eggs.

    oye matter of opinion.

    IMO egg = not a life. You were right you know...completely... about potential lives that is...it's not about potential lives...it's about when a life is a life. I don't care about potential lives I only care about lives.
    Haha, you Pro Life people.
    It's strange how when we say it isn't alive, you say "It's a life too..."
    But when I say, okay what about your egg, you say "Not a life..."
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  15. #95
    Gone. theMime.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Gah. This isn't about respect for life IMO.

    These are the reasons I'm pro-choice (listed from highest importance to least importance):

    1. Making it illegal is not going to stop it from happening imo. I imagine it will lead to having it continue in the black market sense, illegally and unregulated. As such, not only will you lose the embryo, but you might lose the mother as well. Narcotics are illegal... but... people still use them... Since when has making something illegal that people want to do anyway stopped anyone? In other words, I think making it illegal will make the problem worse not better, and so for being all "pro-life" you won't really save many (if any) lives. In fact I think there are better ways to reduce the abortion rate (why not try to figure out what will actually decrease the rate and then start implementing... why not try something that has a higher chance of success?).

    2. There are certain instances where it may need to happen anyway. Maybe if carried to term, the baby will endanger the life of the mother. Maybe the baby is horribly disfigured. Maybe the baby was born with some terrible disease and it's not going to make it long anyway when born... etc. There's also the issue of rape... which is a-whole-nother mess. Pregnancy is a time-sensitive matter and courts can take a really long time to make decisions... the two are incompatible. Furthermore, this doesn't belong in the hands of the courts because they'll only fuck it up.

    3. Let's say it is illegal. What happens to women who have an abortion and then are arrested for it? Do they go to prison? For having an abortion? What sort of law enforcement would we be talking about? Don't we have enough people in prison already? Do we really need to add women who had abortions to the prison population? Doesn't that seem outrageously backwards?

    4. The government with its strong patriarchal and Judeo-Christian influence has no right to impose its will on the female body in this way. Absolutely none. Perhaps they should make laws about who I can and can't have sex with while we're at it. I don't like the idea of abortion. And I can't predict what I'd do in every scenario... even if I think I'd never have an abortion... but I do not want the government telling me what I can and cannot do with my body. It isn't their place and it isn't their business. And I don't trust them to make decisions in my best interest. And I don't want them making my choices for me.

    I think this *is* a moral matter, but it is *not* and should not be a legal one. And that's why being pro-choice and anti-abortion are not mutually exclusive (though I wouldn't necessarily say I'm 100% anti-abortion)... Pro-choice and Pro-life are *legal* stances, not moral ones. It's not a question of whether you value life or not... it's about whether you want abortion illegal or not... I think that making abortion illegal won't save lives anyway and will make things worse... so why would I then want it illegal?
    1. YES! AGREED! (just like with how they outlawed alcohol in the '20s)
    2. hmmmm. scary.
    3. agreed.
    4. Yes! Morality and law do not need to be the same thing.
    5. True.

    HOLY COW.
    Ok I'm ProChoice. (still will never abort tho)

    You said that wonderfully Loki.

    It's a good thing people like you are around.
    You helped give me more clarity...in my head this whole thing just gets jumbled up and confusing so easliy and the fact that this an emotional topic doesn't help. Thank you. =)

  16. #96
    Gone. theMime.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    Haha, you Pro Life people.
    It's strange how when we say it isn't alive, you say "It's a life too..."
    But when I say, okay what about your egg, you say "Not a life..."
    cancer this is a confusing topic ok?

    anyway. there's a cutoff point somewhere right? you have reasons for saying the cutoff point is birth and I have reasons for saying conception. If you wann go through ur reasons for why it's at birth I'll listen.

    difference between egg and embryo. if it was an embryo and not an egg inside me i'd let it live.

  17. #97
    Gone. theMime.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'M NOT CHANGING THE STANDARDS FOR MYSELF CANCER!
    YOU MISUNDERSTOOD!

    I've never ever claimed that an egg was a life. Living tissue: yes. An individual human being: No.

    I have claimed that I belive that an embryo is a life.

  18. #98
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theMime. View Post
    I'M NOT CHANGING THE STANDARDS FOR MYSELF CANCER!
    YOU MISUNDERSTOOD!

    I've never ever claimed that an egg was a life. Living tissue: yes. An individual human being: No.

    I have claimed that I belive that an embryo is a life.
    The only difference between an embryo and an egg is time and sperm.

    So why does the embryo deserve life if the egg doesn't?
    Time?
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  19. #99
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    The only difference between an embryo and an egg is time and sperm.

    So why does the embryo deserve life if the egg doesn't?
    Time?
    you forgot sperm...

  20. #100
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is a mockery mime, you know that. They have you begging for forgiveness.

    Haha, you Pro Life people.
    It's strange how when we say it isn't alive, you say "It's a life too..."
    But when I say, okay what about your egg, you say "Not a life..."
    A girls' egg is not a human? We're referring to human lives.

    So why does the embryo deserve life if the egg doesn't?
    because it's been fertilized. and wtf hkkmr, humans!=cows. That made no sense.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  21. #101
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    you forgot sperm...
    I said sperm.
    Check, it's unedited.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  22. #102
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    I said sperm.
    Check, it's unedited.
    that's what she said

  23. #103
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    6,126
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theMime
    It's a good thing people like you are around.
    You helped give me more clarity...in my head this whole thing just gets jumbled up and confusing so easliy and the fact that this an emotional topic doesn't help. Thank you. =)
    Are you simply agreeing with everyone now? I'm being doubtful. The atmosphere of this topic was seeming a bit tense... and it's one of those unresolvable topics (and so posting on it is unwise)... and I know that my post made the atmosphere worse, which was why I was hesitant to post it... and now I'm not sure about having posted it... because I wasn't really aiming to have people magically agree... half of it was wanting to articulate my thoughts... and I posted that at an inopportune time... i.e. at the time where people were likely to begin de-tensifying (I made up a word ) the atmosphere. But anyway, you're welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Starfall
    I knew a girl who had 6 abortions... I honestly couldn't imagine her raising kids.
    I thought people often regret having them after... seems very masochistic of her.

  24. #104
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    This is a mockery mime, you know that. They have you begging for forgiveness.



    A girls' egg is not a human? We're referring to human lives.



    because it's been fertilized. and wtf hkkmr, humans!=cows. That made no sense.

    Then what is a human life?
    so if you're saying the difference between life and egg is time and sperm...
    then how valuable is human life?


    HAHA!
    The only thing that makes me human is time and sperm.
    That's amazing.
    I am alive because of time and sperm.
    Time and fucking sperm.
    Time and sperm are the reason I am "alive" and not an egg.
    Jesus Christ.

    Time and sperm.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  25. #105
    Gone. theMime.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    The only difference between an embryo and an egg is time and sperm.

    So why does the embryo deserve life if the egg doesn't?
    Time?
    it's got all the genetic code.

    this is a philosophical debate isn't it?

  26. #106
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What I am seeing here is that you can't argue with someone if you don't accept their base argument.

    Pro-choice= Point of embryo becoming human=unknown, therefore it can be killed.
    Pro-Life= You need to have morality.

    We both disagree on these base arguments, so this thread will stay unresolved.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  27. #107
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    Then what is a human life?
    so if you're saying the difference between life and egg is time and sperm...
    then how valuable is human life?


    HAHA!
    The only thing that makes me human is time and sperm.
    That's amazing.
    I am alive because of time and sperm.
    Time and fucking sperm.
    Time and sperm are the reason I am "alive" and not an egg.
    Jesus Christ.

    Time and sperm.
    yes time and sperm. You got fertilized, and you are now alive. You are human, which deserves much respect. It's why crimes are higher for a murder of a human than a dog. We are sentient.

    I don't know who introduced the idea of the weight of human life here. It was never was in question.

    and hkkmr, we have free will, not the cows. Therefore human>cow 24/7.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  28. #108
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Let us be happy that those people do not enforce their beliefs with violence or prison, because I really could use a hamburger right now.
    just don't get any sperm on it... cause then your hamburger would be a life!!!

  29. #109
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    yes time and sperm. You got fertilized, and you are now alive. You are human, which deserves much respect. It's why crimes are higher for a murder of a human than a dog. We are sentient.

    I don't know who introduced the idea of the weight of human life here. It was never was in question.
    yes it is

    humans are not "greater" than other animals or plants or anything else that's living... we just have bigger heads.

  30. #110
    Gone. theMime.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Are you simply agreeing with everyone now? I'm being doubtful. The atmosphere of this topic was seeming a bit tense... and it's one of those unresolvable topics (and so posting on it is unwise)... and I know that my post made the atmosphere worse, which was why I was hesitant to post it... and now I'm not sure about having posted it... because I wasn't really aiming to have people magically agree... half of it was wanting to articulate my thoughts... and I posted that at an inopportune time... i.e. at the time where people were likely to begin de-tensifying (I made up a word ) the atmosphere. But anyway, you're welcome.

    I thought people often regret having them after... seems very masochistic of her.
    Haha.
    I was being honest.
    For most of my teenage life I was adamantly ProLife.
    Then I began looking at it from different angles. Then I began to be really confused but remained ProLife. I wanted more perspective. So I've been throwing out all my postions/opinions/ideas whatver and seeing what other people had to say to get perspective. I've been teetering on the fence.
    I'm the type of person that as soon as I get clarity I can decide quickly. I've never been one to upset over the fact that I was wrong. I was wrong on some of my arguments, people pointed it out and I accepted it (except one argument wich I think Cancer is trying to sway me on but it's a matter of opinion I think)

    The arguing over morality was just plain pointless (well ok it was a bit entertaining) I really could have done without it tho. This whole ProLife/Choice thing isn't about morality...it's about our laws because opinions on morality and law should be separate.

  31. #111
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    yes it is

    humans are not "greater" than other animals or plants or anything else that's living... we just have bigger heads.
    bigger heads eh? Look more into that, ok man? It doesn't account for our ability to starve ourselves if we choose. It doesn't account for the apes who have a head roughly our size, and it doesn't account for why there are apes around if we are descended from them.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  32. #112
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    just don't get any sperm on it... cause then your hamburger would be a life!!!
    This is why I love Bionicgoat.
    <3

    Kam: Go to sleep.


    But seriously, Kam.
    You are alive because of sperm.
    That is the only reason your worth anything.
    According to you, that is.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  33. #113
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    bigger heads eh? Look more into that, ok man? It doesn't account for our ability to starve ourselves if we choose. It doesn't account for the apes who have a head roughly our size, and it doesn't account for why there are apes around if we are descended from them.
    it was a metaphor... asshole!

    life is life IMO... humans are no better or worse than anything else around. Life lives, life dies... no bit whoop.

    btw we aren't descended from apes, we share a common ancestor.

  34. #114
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    And I don't believe in free-will....

    I believe we have will, but it is not free.
    You can choose to eat, kill someone. Animals lack that entirely. That is called free will bro. I don't know what planet you're from.

    This whole ProLife/Choice thing isn't about morality...it's about our laws because opinions on morality and law should be separate.
    Morality is all it's about. It has nothing to do with laws, it has to do with personal choice to accept responsibility for your child. If you lack that, you aren't a human, no matter how much sperm you have .

    But seriously, Kam.
    You are alive because of sperm.
    That is the only reason your worth anything.
    According to you, that is.
    What is worth for you? I'd like to know. But no matter what you say, it still comes down to human life and whether you have respect for it. Life is no game, which leads into the cult of irresponsibility once more.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  35. #115
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    What is worth for you? I'd like to know.
    What is life worth...
    Hmm...
    My life was worthless to Pro Life when I was an egg.
    But now it's valuable because of sperm.
    Haha. I guess the secret to life is sperm.
    Pssst: The Secret of Life is Sperm!
    I am worth sperm, according to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    But no matter what you say, it still comes down to human life and whether you have respect for it.
    I have lots of respect for human life.
    That's why I'm Pro Choice.
    I respect their life, freedom, and rights as human beings.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    Life is no game, which leads into the cult of irresponsibility once more.
    Irresponsibility is releasing a child that you can't even care for into the world.
    The "responsible" thing to do is to have the abortion.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  36. #116
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The main distinguishing factor between us and our primate ancestors is mostly genetic selection for a larger brain, upight posture, and larger penises (a gorilla penis is about the size of your pinky) in males and a vagina facing the anterior in females which allows us to have sex facing each other (most other mammals have sex by mounting from the back). Does this make us inherently "better" than other animals? I don't believe so, but then I don't believe in absolute morality.

    It does however give us several evolutionary advantages, the most conspicuous being the ability to create an extremely nuanced communication system (language) which allows us to think deep thoughts (without words, we wouldn't be able to comprehend but the most basic causal logic relationships).

    I think we have a bias towards those animals that are most like us. A lot of us don't feel so bad when animals with smaller brains (a bird, say) dies, but we'll empathize more with the black market chimpanzees that get sold as pets or even for their fur. And we value our own species above others because in most cases, we aren't separated be a huge discrepancy in cognitive ability - even babies can communicate with us in ways we identify with and can easily understand. Most studies indicate that animals are indeed capable of suffering. And anyone who works with abused animals knows how far this extends. It's just that they do not have the evolutionary head start we do, and can't communicate or even logically interpret the extent of that suffering like we do. In one way this probably means they don't suffer the same nuanced psychological angst that we do. In other ways, it means they have no means of defense against any suffering we inflict upon them.

    I personally believe abortion is wrong. I consider it barbaric and an abuse of our medical technology. I don't, however, think that criminalizing it is the correct route to solving the underlying social issues that lead to unwanted children (which are varied and highly personal from case to case). Weve criminalized homicide, but it hasn't stopped it from occuring.

    One such HUGE social issue that hasn't been addressed is the stigma directed at women who become pregnant out of wedlock. We don't look at the men who fuck and run off with even half the reprehension that these women will get.
    Last edited by Animal; 04-05-2008 at 04:53 AM.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  37. #117
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    6,126
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    One such HUGE social issue that hasn't been addressed is the stigma directed at woman who become pregnant out of wedlock.
    Yes. I think that's a big part of it. Totally agree.

  38. #118
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    What is life worth...
    Hmm...
    My life was worthless to Pro Life when I was an egg.
    But now it's valuable because of sperm.
    Haha. I guess the secret to life is sperm.
    Pssst: The Secret of Life is Sperm!
    I am worth sperm, according to you.
    So you were an egg? Not the all-powerful sperm? You weren't anything, because egg+sperm is a human.

    I have lots of respect for human life.
    That's why I'm Pro Choice.
    I respect their life, freedom, and rights as human beings.
    I'm sorry you feel that way.

    Irresponsibility is releasing a child that you can't even care for into the world.
    The "responsible" thing to do is to have the abortion.
    Irresponsibility is having sex, getting pregnant and then releasing a child that you couldn't even care for into the world. That is shame. The "responsible" thing to do is to give it up for adoption. Human life isn't a game if I must repeat myself. And you respect human life.

    One such HUGE social issue that hasn't been addressed is the stigma directed at women who become pregnant out of wedlock. We don't look at the men who fuck and run off with even half the reprehension that these women will get.
    I personally look down on both equally. I'm not sexist.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  39. #119
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I would note that there are some circumstances that if I was a leader I would issue a moratorium on abortion, say after a nuclear holocaust and we had to replenish the population.

    And in some cases say a person having multiple abortions in a short span of time(say 5 over 10 years), I would issue a mandatory birth control(reversible) injection until the mother is willing to bear to term(If I'm not wrong I believe some judge has issued this ruling before.)
    I can't see how you can be 'prochoice' and yet say that you would make rulings like these if you were a leader. How is commanding women to 'replenish the population' a democracy at all? I would be furious if there were such a ruling. If you believe that abortion is not wrong, who are you to decide when it should or should not be done? You should either believe that abortion is completely wrong or that it's not wrong and therefore up to the individual IMO. What you're suggesting sounds like a dictatorship to me.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  40. #120
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    I personally look down on both equally. I'm not sexist.
    Then you are still part of the problem, and are only perpetuating the same social climate that has served to make the practice of abortion such a given.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •