Thread: Bad with directions

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Bad with directions

If you have a bad sense of direction, what polr is that? Just bad period. Not having a macho image of not asking for help if you're lost, but getting lost a lot in the first place.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if just one particular type or one particular PoLR would do that, but I CERTAINLY have trouble with this. I've lived in the same small city my whole life and I've gotten lost here a ton of times. Really.

So ENFp would be one type that would have this problem IMO. I don't know if it's weak Ti or something else though.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've considered it before, and I don't know. My Fi ENFp dad is great with it, I'm great with it, and my Te ESTj brother sucks at it.

My guess is that it has to do with other brain stuff and orientations.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm awful at it too, Slacker Mom. Well I can do it but I have to put much more effort than the average person so it's not exactly one of my strengths if you will.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I *think* I have a good sense of direction. And then I prove myself wrong when I get lost. But I continue to think I have a good sense of direction. After all I always figure it out eventually. I consider asking for help "cheating," but if I really am lost I'll ask. What happens is I'll have it all straight, and then at some point I mysteriously get turned around. It doesn't always happen, but it happens enough. I still think I'm good at this. I consider it a personal challenge that I always strive to improve on.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    it's one thing to orient in space in relation to objects or some other way
    "Sense of direction" in this context = awareness of your orientation in physical space.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries!

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say all four combined S and T functions to some extent.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    I don't know if just one particular type or one particular PoLR would do that, but I CERTAINLY have trouble with this. I've lived in the same small city my whole life and I've gotten lost here a ton of times. Really.

So ENFp would be one type that would have this problem IMO. I don't know if it's weak Ti or something else though.
    I always had TONS of trouble finding my way around when I lived in a fairly small town my whole life. You get so used to knowing where things are, that you don't really notice (or need) directions. Then if you have to find something new it's tough. I used to even get lost in parking garages for hours because I just didn't pay attention to where things were.

When I moved a couple of times and was completely lost for a few months, I got much better. So I think it's not type-related, but a matter of knowing what to pay attention to certain things. Before, I always ignorred street signs, which was was north (because it's boring!) But i think paying attention to things like that, memorizing the major streets so you know which direction you're going, learning to use maps faster, etc, is all you need. I think people who have to find stuff a lot (like pizza delivery people and fed ex delivery people) are the best at it because they do it all the time.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a good sense of direction, and I rarely get lost. All I need is a map and I feel perfectly confident exploring a new city or town. And I hate to ask for directions.

I'm terrible at giving directions, though. I'll know how to get to a place, but not how to describe how to get there in a way that others can follow. "Um....you go that way, but not too far that way, and then you turn right - no, left, left! - after...um...I think it's two blocks, or is it three?..."

I can orient myself well, but in a way that I can't really describe to others. It's like my own personal GPS.
    INFj / EII
    4w5

Diese Tage, die leer dir scheinen
    und wertlos für das All,
    haben Wurzeln zwischen den Steinen
    und trinken dort überall.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    If you have a bad sense of direction, what polr is that? Just bad period. Not having a macho image of not asking for help if you're lost, but getting lost a lot in the first place.
    Bad sense of direction is in all Alphas and NTs. FACT.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how good mine is. I've got PoLR.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    huh?
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-Cyclops

There's a part of the brain thats been shown to become active when someone is trying to work out where they are going. Also this part of the brain has been shown to have far more activity in taxi drivers, in comparison to average people (suggesting it is a skill which develops the more it is used)

I can't see how this is type related, unless all taxi drivers happen to be of the same few types of course ):

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always know how to get somewhere, but I don't think it's innate. My ISTp ex - you could turn him around randomly and he'd still know which way he needed to go. My skill is mainly b/c I pay attention to street names, and I like figuring out streets that aren't as trafficked or have fewer stoplights... also free places to park

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I'd say all four combined S and T functions to some extent.
    Probably so, but the lack of it can't necessarily be pinpointed to a function per-se. I would prolly say that the S and T functions are involved in some way regarding direction.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    (unless you were joking,) Talk to some Alpha NT astronomers, I doubt their sense of direction is bad, and of course I know that my own is quite good, and there's no other type I could be.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm good with directions.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arguably, poor sense of direction is indicative of weak Se. Se is concerned not just with acquisition of spaces, but with the spaces themselves. Plus, Se's excellence in sensual, worldly matters emphasised mostly in Jung's Se is, if I'm not mistaken, carried across into socionics Se.

TIM
    4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say I'm bad at directions, but honestly it might just be that I'm bad at remembering street names & what highway routes are called. I couldn't just give someone clear directions on how to get somewhere like other people can. I don't even know what the streets by where I grew up & lived for over 20 yrs are called. But if I'm in the car next to you I can give directions like "keep going straight, keep going, & turn right NOW".

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When other people are driving on a route I’ve been to, I can tell where we are, but if it’s new, I usually have no clue and don’t pay attention at all. To learn a new route, I can’t pay attention to someone’s route taking. I have to go that way myself several times before it gets fried into my brain and I always stick to that route. Unless I’m up for an adventure lol. I used to get lost on purpose in my younger years.
    we didn’t have navigation or smartphones back then so it was more fun.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is more like "Which types suck at S + T".