six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Christmas gifts and Socionics and Functions

I was out Christmas shopping today and was thinking about some of the gifts I was getting, what I had asked for, and how those might have tied in with types and functions.

For example, my wife's hidden agenda of "to believe" I think manifests itself as her wanting to feel that I'm fully dedicated to her, committed to her, and thinking of her. I got her something very personal and thoughtful and I think she's going to love it and that it's going to feed right into her HA. She also likes fashionable stuff like clothing so I get her gift cards to her favorite stores and she can knock herself out since she's pretty picky. She also loves shopping for the sake of shopping. It's the thrill of the chase, and she loves getting good deals after Christmas. Would this all feed her 2nd function?

My sister is an ESTp, and her hidden agenda is "to be loved". She hates it when people get her gift cards because it takes a whole 10 seconds and involves almost no thought. Maybe she doesn't feel loved or appreciated by those sorts of gifts, even though my wife and I both love them as long as it's to a store that we actually shop at. My parents spend hours and hours shopping for my sister, only to have her "need gift receipts" for half of the stuff anyways, but to her maybe it's the thought that counts the most.

For me and my dad who I'm pretty sure is also an ENTj, it's really really tough to shop for us. I like things that I can actually use and will serve a purpose (efficiency minded). Sharper Image and brookstone have a lot of neat gadgets, but I would never use most of that crap and I already have all of the gadgets and "tools" that I need. ENTjs neglect their health with their PoLR though, so people usually end up getting us clothes. Like I don't even notice that my jeans are all worn out and getting holes in them until my wife points it out. Also, I have no sense of style or fashion, so I allow my wife the pleasure of picking out fashionable clothing items for me. As an early gift, I'm currently wearing a pear of Keen "winter sandals". These are pretty cool and very comfy. I think this is much more useful to us and more practical than feeding our hidden agenda "to be wealthy" (or feel powerful). Maybe clothing and fashion stuff plays into Se also (the outward traits of things, shape, color, etc). As far as things that represent power or wealth, it's true that there's a lot of things I'd like to have and they're all "big" but I can't ask for that kind of stuff for Christmas, hehe. I'd like some really fast cars, or a motorcycle, etc just to play with. I also wouldn't mind getting some books (technical) on a few subjects of interest too.

So when you get gifts for people that you know very well, what is their type, what do they tend to want, and how do you think it relates to them functionally? If you get them a gift that feeds their Hidden Agenda is it something that they'll love and really enjoy that they maybe never even thought of? Say for INFjs, with an "HA" of "to be healthy". What kind of gifts would they enjoy? Or what about their dual-seeking 5th function of "to know"? I thought I read that INFjs tend to be bookworms, so would they enjoy a good book on a topic of interest?

What about if you get a gift that feeds somebody's various blocks like their ego (1st and 2nd) or area of uncertainty super-ego (3rd and 4th). I'm just getting this feeling that gifts that feed a persons super-id (5th and 6th) and especially their hidden agenda are maybe the best gifts? Is this true?

I guess there's a million tangents this thread could go off onto, but there's still a week left until Christmas so let er rip.

Oh, dad is finally upgrading to cable Internet and is buying himself a laptop (with wireless) so I'm probably going to get him an all-in-one cable modem, LAN hub, wireless router. Very useful, serves a purpose, is efficient, and should be perfect for my ENTj pops.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if you have to buy stuff for a , get them something that makes them go "Aww, COOL!"

As for getting people gifts that appeal to their "hidden agenda," from my experience, they can be meanignful gifts that the person likes alot, but may be afraid to show that they like alot. Having as a hidden agenda, I'm really pretty moved by gifts that are symbolic that show that the person really wanted to make me happy. However, while getting something like a teddy bear might be meaningful and touching in a way that other gifts aren't, it might make me feel like other people think I'm immature, too "gushy," etc. So if we're talking about a SO, then a hidden agenda gift might be good. As far as other go, I'd go for either PoLR or primary appeal.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, when I go shopping for presents, I predominantly use . I try to think of clever, yet thoughtful presents that will make the person laugh when they unwrap it, yet is something they can use and/or enjoy. I like to make people smile.

I bought my friend's little brother a whoopie cushion, a cap gun, and a cowboy hat. My mom is attracted to artsy stuff, so I will get her something arsty that she can use to decorate the house. My dad is pretty utilitarian, so I will get him some stupid like a paper shredder.

I think my mom is an ESFj, and my dad is an INFj. Lol, I am screwed.

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    My dad is pretty utilitarian, so I will get him some stupid like a paper shredder.
    LOL! My wife got me a heavy duty paper shredder for my birthday and I LOVE IT!!! Can take all of my damned junk mail and just feed it right into that thing without even opening it. The last one I had was really wimpy and you actually had to open the stuff to shred it...

Wait, does a big beefy hairy chested paper shredder feed my hidden agenda??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like a giant for christmas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only people getting gifts from me this year are my son and goddaughter.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    When I go christmas shopping, i don't pay attention to Socionics, and instead, I just get stuff that will make the person happy.
    heh, i don't either. was just curious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know what to get my staff. They all do a lot of traveling in their cars, so last year I got them all heavy duty socks (your feet get cold in WNY traveling by car and getting in and out of it over the winter). This year, I ended up making a giant vat of fudge. This, I cut into small squares. I made 8 little packages wrapped in red cellophane and tied with a silver ribbon. They look so festive! These are going on their desks on Monday morning.

Not socionics related really since all my staff are probably different types, but hey, pretty good gift idea for a mass effort!

My estp husband is getting an overcoat (he's never had one and goes around in his Columbia!) a pair of leather gloves with a cashmere lining (Buffalo winters) and a cool matching scarf. The fun thing is one of those poker things you can put over any table and turn it into a poker table, plus a poker set. He's been doing a lot of online poker, I figure maybe he can get some of the guys going on a regular poker night or something. I hope he likes it!

Creepy-pokeball

Everyone got gifts from Ebay this year. Merry Xmas early from the UPS dude.