Thread: Brothers Karamazov + Crime & Punishment (characters' types)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brothers Karamazov + Crime & Punishment (characters' types)

Has anyone read these books (by Dostoevsky) recently enough to type the characters in them? I've found Dostoevsky was very consistent with most of his characters and he seemed to develop certain 'archetypes' throughout his works (i.e. Ivan and Raskolnikov were both based on the same archetype) This is what I've made of it:

BROTHERS KARAMAZOV
    -----------------------
    Alyosha (Alexei Karamazov), the mystic: INFp
    Vanya (Ivan Karamazov), the intellectual: INTp
    Mitya (Dmitry Karamazov), the sensualist: ExFp
    Smerdyakov, the cunning bastard child: ISTp
    (lol I stole those descriptions from the back of the book)
    Mr. Karamazov: ENFp ?
    Gregory: ISFj
    Katerina: ESTx
    Grushenka: ESTp
    Kalganov: INFp
    Kolya: ENTj
    Perkhotin: ESTj/ISTj
    Zosima: INFj

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
    --------------------------
    Raskolnikov: INTp
    Raskolnikov's sister: INFp
    Sonia: ISFj
    Razumihin: ESFp/ESTp
    Marmeladov: ESFp
    Katerina: ESTp
    Svidrigailov: ENFp
    Luzchin: ESTj
    Pulcheria: ISFp
    Porfiry: ENTj
    Lizaveta: INFj

notes:

Ep+Ep relationships seem to happen a lot (Grushenka+Dmitry, Katerina+Marmeladov) and always crash causing heavy damage

Raskolnikov was unimpressed by his sister's ESTj suitor(Luszkin, his supervisee) and ended up hooking up his sister(INFp) with his best friend Razumihin (ESTp) lol, and it worked
    Last edited by misutii; 01-31-2008 at 04:16 PM.
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope I can respond to this shortly. My academic/work responsibilities might get in the way, but I've been meaning to read both of these books. Though, merely based off my assumptions, I find it odd that he doesn't write in a 'version' of himself, so to speak.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raskolnikov: INTp could be IEI
    Raskolnikov's sister: INFp I find her character to be somewhat 2D
    Sonia: ISFj Ha! A hooker an ESI?
    Razumihin: ESFp/ESTp More likely an SEE. He doubt he has Fi PoLR
    Marmeladov: ESFp I don't know. I just remember him going on and on and on and on and on and on at the beginning of the novel.
    Katerina: ESTp I could imagine this
    Svidrigailov: ENFp I remember hearing this character's name, but I remember barely anything about him. I doubt IEE though, just from the wiki article
    Luzchin: ESTj Possible, although I think LSI is more likely
    Pulcheria: ISFp Maybe, although I don't see the Fe ego
    Porfiry: ENTj Se ego is more likely
    Lizaveta: INFj She appeared for what, two pages?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you people sure for raskolnjikov? Him being dominant?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. Have you seen the way his head is always inflamed with shit?

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dostoevsky's characters are fun to type - he gives you a lot to work with. What was it Freud said about his books? All of them are studies in psychoanalysis or something to that end?

I haven't actually read the Brothers KArazamov or Crime and Punishment, but read half of Pevear and Volokhonsky's translation of The Idiot (I'm going to read the other half for a class this semester, lol), and am right now working on Notes from Underground. Has anyone read this? The Underground Man seems like an interesting fellow - like the sort of unhinged, angsty creep Johnny Depp would be good at playing.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    I haven't actually read the Brothers KArazamov or Crime and Punishment, but read half of Pevear and Volokhonsky's translation of The Idiot (I'm going to read the other half for a class this semester, lol), and am right now working on Notes from Underground. Has anyone read this? The Underground Man seems like an interesting fellow - like the sort of unhinged, angsty creep Johnny Depp would be good at playing.
    Notes from Underground is a short but awesome book. The protaganist came off as an unhealthy INFp, i noticed sometimes I'd 'negative-mirror' his tendencies with mine and it would feel pleasantly self-indulgent to the point of embarrassment. poor bastard needed so bad
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Sonia: ISFj Ha! A hooker an ESI?
    Svidrigailov: ENFp I remember hearing this character's name, but I remember barely anything about him. I doubt IEE though, just from the wiki article
    Luzchin: ESTj Possible, although I think LSI is more likely
    Raskilnikov is INTp. I don't see how he could be INFp. Consider the crime is based on a theory, NOT an ideal. His logical intellectuality is continually praised by others throughout the book. Fe PoLR is manifested in his continual lack of tact with people, though he himself seems unaware of this. Characters well disposed toward him are so because of his actions/generousity, not due to him evoking any kind of bright and cheery atmosphere. Dostoevsky delves into his thoughts where we find him looking for meaning, not in ideals, passion, or provoking desirable emotions, but in the rationalization of his actions due to theories backed up by facts.

Sonia: While it at first might seem strange that an ESI would trade sex for money it's not only not far-fetched but common... in another book, "Of Human Bondage," by Samuel Maughan, an ESI finds herself in the same situation. You might be seeing her as a stereotypical moralistic ESI but realize that sex and money are often at the forefront of Gamma conversations, they go hand in hand. So realizing they need money, and that they can offer sex, it makes sense. With Sonia there is also a LARGE element of self-sacrifice, she's not a self-serving 'hooker', she's using the money to provide for her family. She's not being self-indulgent and selling herself for her own personal pleasure. Also the only book she's ever read is the bible and she keeps it in her room and cherishes it.

Svidrgailov: mischevious, womanizer, not a leader but independent, ENFp, lol

Luzchin: ESTj makes him Raskilnikov's Supervisee. Notice this character's indignation and annoyance whenever he debates with Raskilnikov. His motivation is primarily influenced by the external world, by other's thoughts and recognition of him. Notice that he approaches all social situations confidently, talks about himself, his success, how he got there (bragging with :Te). When he loses an argument/debate with someone he retreats (using creative function), if he was ISTj he would have started using his when others pissed him off in conversation and Raskilnikov, being dual seeking would have liked it and been more likely able to respect him... alas such is not the case
    INFp-Ni

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

According to socionics.org:

INTj\LII

Ivan Karamazov – The Brothers Karamazov

ENFj\EIE
    Fyodor Karamazov –The Brothers Karamazov
    Thomas Opiskin - The Village of Stepanchikovo

ESFp\SEE
    Nastasya Filippovna – The Idiot

INFj\EII

Prince Myshkin – The Idiot
    Sonya Marmeladov - Crime and Punishment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is that the entire list of Dostoevsky characters that socionics.org has typed? disappointing
    INFp-Ni

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yep .

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread should be merged with the other one.

Crime & Punishment:
    Raskolnikov - ILI
    Marmeladov - EIE
    Katerina - LSI
    Sonja - EII
    Razumikhin - SLE
    Zosimov - SLI
    Pulkheria - IEE
    Dunja - ESI
    Luzchin - LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

one of my favorite books. i think that all of the characters except the father and one or two others are all EII who are a different facet of themselves depending on their interactions with others
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    one of my favorite books. i think that all of the characters except the father and one or two others are all EII who are a different facet of themselves depending on their interactions with others
    The only EII in the book I recall was Alyosha. Who else did you think?

TIM
    ILI-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still reading the book but I typed Alyosha EII, Gregory ESI, Zosima XNFj