Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK)

Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes - Goodreads
    Wikiquote

The time is always right to do what is right.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

There are some things so dear, some things so precious, some things so eternally true, that they are worth dying for. And I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live.

When our days become dreary with low-hovering clouds of despair, and when our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.

We all have the drum major instinct. We all want to be important, to surpass others, to achieve distinction, to lead the parade. … And the great issue of life is to harness the drum major instinct. It is a good instinct if you don’t distort it and pervert it. Don’t give it up. Keep feeling the need for being important. Keep feeling the need for being first. But I want you to be the first in love. I want you to be the first in moral excellence. I want you to be the first in generosity.

The thing that we need in the world today is a group of men and women who will stand up for right and to be opposed to wrong, wherever it is. A group of people who have come to see that some things are wrong, whether they're never caught up with. And some things are right, whether nobody sees you doing them or not.

As a young man with most of my life ahead of me, I decided early to give my life to something eternal and absolute. Not to these little gods that are here today and gone tomorrow, but to God who is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Not in the little gods that can be with us in a few moments of prosperity, but in the God who walks with us through the valley of the shadow of death, and causes us to fear no evil. That's the God.

All I'm trying to say to you is that our world hinges on moral foundations. God has made it so. God has made the universe to be based on a moral law. So long as man disobeys it he is revolting against God. That's what we need in the world today: people who will stand for right and goodness. It's not enough to know the intricacies of zoology and biology, but we must know the intricacies of law. It is not enough to know that two and two makes four, but we've got to know somehow that it's right to be honest and just with our brothers. It's not enough to know all about our philosophical and mathematical disciplines, but we've got to know the simple disciplines of being honest and loving and just with all humanity. If we don't learn it, we will destroy ourselves by the misuse of our own powers.

And then there is a second thing, a second principle that we've got to go back and rediscover. And that is that all reality has spiritual control. In other words, we've got to go back and rediscover the principle that there is a God behind the process. Well this you say, "Why is it that you raise that as a point in your sermon, in a church? The mere fact we are at church, we believe in God, we don't need to go back and rediscover that. The mere fact that we are here, and the mere fact that we sing and pray, and come to church—we believe in God." Well, there's some truth in that. But we must remember that it's possible to affirm the existence of God with your lips and deny his existence with your life. The most dangerous type of atheism is not theoretical atheism, but practical atheism [...]. And the world, even the church, is filled up with people who pay lip service to God and not life service. And there is always a danger that we will make it appear externally that we believe in God when internally we don't. We say with our mouths that we believe in him, but we live with our lives like he never existed. That is the ever-present danger confronting religion. That's a dangerous type of atheism.

Last edited by silke; 12-24-2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: updated links

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Logical-intuitive Extravert.

He doesn't have to be a feeler.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Martin Luther King, Jr. (MLK)

SEE? EIE? Why or why not?

Creepy-male

I'm going for EIE or IEI.... I think Fi types invoke his name a lot but really he seems beta in his oratory. I know in enneagram stuff he is commonly typed as e8. He is one of my heros and not for moralistic reasons, just his views on an ideal portrait of justice are inspiring, his oratory... seems like an ideal leader archetype. ****** was also a good orator, but his policy was 180 degrees from MLK.

here is a video of a speech... I'll let other people use this as a resource for typing....

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

SEE
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ENFJ orator idealist- im talking the great black orators of history- Marting Luther Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing, Malcom eeeeeeeeeeex, Barack O'bama!

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that EIE seems very probable. It's interesting that one should bring up the comparison with ****** -- one thing I noticed in that video, the same as in ******'s speeches, is that MLK never once smiled. Even when the crowd was cheering or laughing, he resisted the urge to smile -- as someone else once pointed out, this is actually a sign of strong and deliberate use of Fe. By not showing levity, he's keeping the tone of his speech serious and therefore more moving. Furthermore, the effect of the contrast between the cheering crowd and him remaining serious and focused creates a rather heroic mood.

All in all, MLK showed an impressive command of Fe in that speech. He skillfully crafted an atmosphere of unity of purpose among the crowd, and instilled the whole group with emotions of hope, pride, determination, and nobility. It was an excellent, textbook demonstration of the ability of EIE to stir people's passions using grand ideas and a "big picture" perspective.

Also note the flow of metaphors he uses, moving from image to image, not connected by any central metaphor like an Ne type might do. He also shows a strong focus on the future and the past, tying the present to the words and deeds of history, and "prophesying" the course of future events ("I have a dream that one day...").

While an SEE might be adept at influencing people's emotions, he would be more likely to see the amount of emphasis MLK places on it to be overkill, and possibly even kind of silly (Demonstrative Fe). Furthermore, an SEE would be more likely to focus on what needs to be done now, rather than this sort of past-and-future oriented speech.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

social activism is a hallmark of IEI. So it's possible. He gained lots of ground, naturally by the 'let's all hold hands and be friends' approach, but I've personally noticed something and you can disagree if you wish, but that such a viewpoint seems to benefit the straight, white, privileged majority more than it makes the discriminated, hurt minority feel equal, loved, and included -- but that's just me being 'too liberal' I suppose 'for my own good.' *cough* Though that is my opinion and I'm 'sticking with it' as they say. I think technically, the angrier, more '******ly' activists if you will, actually covered more real ground but nobody gets anywhere, technically, not also kissing the 'other side's asses' as it were.

I still view, for example, Larry Kramer as the father of the gay rights movement as that was a time where gays had a self-respect for their own identity as fragile and bad as it was, it was 'ours' , and it was before us doing the 'MLK approach' and saying 'Yes let's all hold hands and get along.' I guess it's a balance. Do you want the greater society to love you or do you want the self-respect back that they tried to rape away from you for being different? I guess we're all just weak and pathetic and we all ultimately can't function unless everybody else likes us.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Barack O'bama!
    Barack Obama's Irish cousin?

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

β-NF definitely. I’ve had him down as Fe-IEI; am open to suggestion of EIE, but I have a hard time seeing him as an Extrovert… his overall energy levels just strike me as more conspicuously IP>EJ.

Any ideas on his wife’s type?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably EIE-Ni 8w9 sx/so. Seems classic EJ temperament archetypally, sort of the one who was "holding up" the civil rights movement.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

EIE-Fe

so/sx E8w9 / E9w8

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Martin Luther KING Jr

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

SEE
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

there is a thread on him already. and he's EIE to the bone. Have you ever met any SEE who has a dream on a "national" level lol.

TIM
    SEE sx sp (8)46
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESI

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone made a compelling case for EIE in the past.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IEI-Fe so/sx 9w1

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's important to not confuse one's public persona for one's identity.

He's not EIE nor IEI. His Fi and Ti are both in the Mental Superblock.

Someone mentioned Malcom X and Barrack Obama. These three people are all high-presence black people. Their TIM's are not even remotely the same. Speaking in public isn't a TIM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI-Ni 8w?, probably 8 with a heavy 9 wing

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he is LSE-Si, they are often leaders of social change and Fe role easy to see when passionate

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martin Luther King Jr - ENFP - Huxley

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enfj, picturing lands of harmony binding and collectively finding oneness and existence of peace and compassion.
    Raptor had to lose in 2006 to become Revan, important errands of knighthood and valor to walk with Pokemon and charm the melodies of sweet channels to lush frenzy galloping solo yet swiftly into the sunrise for maximum presents and signed in deluxe oceans of fast trading cards bazooka cascading rumba of love Force constellations restoring last battle cardinal plants actively swirling for juice and petals to wishes
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    Ne Te
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Probably EIE-Ni 8w9 sx/so. Seems classic EJ temperament archetypally, sort of the one who was "holding up" the civil rights movement.
    Second the emotion.

A little better makes better more

The good news in knowing you are wrong is you are right

Taking things at face value is good only for a spell

To experience is simple, to explain is divine