Thread: Type and sleep

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type and sleep

I'm ENTp, and I've always been an insomniac. I remember being 5 or 6 and looking at the clock and it being 2:00 in the morning. I just can't seem to shut my brain off!

Studies show that people who sleep 5 to 7 hours a night are the most healthy. I used to think I was a 7 hour a night kind of girl, but I'm not so sure anymore. I think it changes a lot. Recently I decided that instead of trying to get in bed by a certain time or make sure I get enough sleep, I should just listen to my body and go to bed when I am sleepy. I believe taking the "should" out of bed time has allowed me a better quality sleep (well, it's sorta hard to judge atm, but it seems like it).

Anyways, do you think that your type influences your sleep habits?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was a little kid I had a very regular sleep habits and would get up around 7am every morning... Then I hit my teens and i took advantage of my newfound independence by staying up as late as I could. I went from barely able to stay up until ten to barely able to fall asleep before 2am. Now this pattern is fixed and I typically stay up really really late and fall asleep anywhere between 2am and 4am. I typically wake up around noon or even later at times. This sort of habit, in my opinion, is influenced by a force of habit, although i have heard that people are either "doves or larks" i think that doves are the early rise people, larks are the night people. I am trying to reset my clock by having my ISFp roomy wake me up when she gets up. it works but when she isn't here i am back to my old self.

so perhaps it is type related, but i really do wish i were an early morning person. you know, getting the worm and all.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like to stay up at night because I have less energy in the morning. Morning is the moment in which my biorythm is at its best, so I want to be able to use it.

I have quite regular sleep patterns; usually, 10.30 pm-7am. I can't stay in bed after 8 am, I feel the urge to get up and do something.

Oh, when I get up, I'm like totally ready for anything one minute after I've left the bed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to go to bed at 8:30pm and always tend to naturaly wake up at 6am it great. I love mornings and cause almost everyone in my neiborhood ether went to work already or is still asleep.
    ISFP, SEI

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was young, I would never sleep very well and either stayed up really late or woke up really early ... I am even worse at it now that I am older.

I've been sleep two to three hours a night for the past few months, even that is drug induced.

I might need to see a Doctor, but sleeping pills don't work anyway.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm kind of like WW. When young I'd sleep fine, the usual seven to nine hours for a little kid. As a teenager I couldn't get up in the morning and I stayed up pretty late. In my twenties I worked in bars and worked till four a.m. then went out till six. I'd get up at two p.m. But regardless of when I went to sleep, I always slept very well, usually seven to eight hours.

Enter: children. Good bye sleep. My first child as a newborn used to cry until two a.m., then get up to be fed at least three times.

Now most nights I wake up several times. And usually I sleep only six hours or so. The youngest one will get into bed with me and DH wanting to cuddle. Would you ever imagine a three year old being able to hog a king size bed? Mine does it every time.

Take today for instance. Woke up at five a.m. couldn't get back to sleep. Decided to go skiing; skiied from five to six thirty. I only hope that I'm tired enought tonight to get a restful sleep!

So now I am a total morning person. I can't get anything done after about two pm or so. What about others? Are you morning, afternoon, or evening person?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it's hard to get asleep. I need more than an hour after I put my head on the pillow. It's ever been like this, since I've known myself

Definetely I'm a late evening person

Creepy-

During the initial stages of a project my sleep drops down to about 2 hours per day. Eventually I get overwhelmed and everything starts to shut down. During the next stage I can sleep over 12 hours a day.

I think type influences the pattern of my sleep, but probably not the extremes.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, I get to sleep at around 5 am, and wake up at like 2.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually get about 6-7 hrs. I just go to sleep whenever i'm tired no matter what time i have to get up even though i'm a mess in the morning. I function much better at night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have quite regular sleep patterns; usually, 10.30 pm-7am. I can't stay in bed after 8 am, I feel the urge to get up and do something.

Oh, when I get up, I'm like totally ready for anything one minute after I've left the bed.
    Take everything he said and reverse it and you just about have me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarryBottom

Take everything he said and reverse it and you just about have me.
    Ditto.

Sleep = Baby's Drug of Choice

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sycophant
    I've been sleep two to three hours a night for the past few months, even that is drug induced.

You should indeed see a doctor.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycophant

You should indeed see a doctor.
    Nah, I'm okay. They wold just put me on drugs, tell me to eat some valerian root. I’ve done all that. It's okay.

Creepy-pokeball

Ive had insomnia since 12. Im fine for a few weeks but then the cycle keeps building up so I have to reset it by either forcing sleep with medication or staying up long enough. GABA worked for a bit, too, but I found that I'd sleep like 14 hours with it haha. Overall I think the problem is a general dislike of sleep. I never really want to stop doing whatever it is Im doing. I seriously wish we just came with rechargable batteries.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That depends. Right now, I try to get to bed at around 9, and I have to get up at 6:30. At summer, I go to bed around 4 and sleep untill 12-2.

My sleeping pattern is completely screwed up. I can't for the life of me stick to a regular habit. The above is what I try to do.
    Beware! Nerd genes on the prowl.

INFj - The Holy CPU Saint
    Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

Creepy-

vbkjfwvcds

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and then sleeping until, umm.....

whenever I wake up
    Yeah.... I just don't get planned sleeping patterns.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and then sleeping until, umm.....

whenever I wake up
    Yeah.... I just don't get planned sleeping patterns.

Creepy-

INFP-I tend to go to bed quite late as I enjoy being the only concious being in the house. The amount of hours are inconsistent, it all depends on work schedules and other obligations, see.

My very first post. One day this will provide reminscing material.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually go to bed after 12, since I would rather work late into the night than rise early and work. I usually can't get up before 10 or 11, even though I hate staying in bed that long. I'm usually impossible to get out of bed. During the college/school days, I usually get around 5-7 hours of sleep a night and during the summer I get around 10-12 hours.

So with the prevalence of crazy people here, I'm a normal sleeper.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    I usually go to bed after 12, since I would rather work late into the night than rise early and work. I usually can't get up before 10 or 11, even though I hate staying in bed that long. I'm usually impossible to get out of bed. During the college/school days, I usually get around 5-7 hours of sleep a night and during the summer I get around 10-12 hours.

So with the prevalence of crazy people here, I'm a normal sleeper.
    LOL! That sounds like my Dad. I also hear that ILI (INTP) Rogers Hornsby would sleep 11-12 hours a day, and he advised others to do the same.

I don't enjoy sleeping that much; I wake up early in the morning usually, even on weekends.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im usually and early riser myself. I wake up about 5 and I might go back to sleep but by 6 I usually will get out of bed. Once Im up Im active not groggy or gumpy. I used to have insomnia and still do from time to time but its getting better. When I was a kid I seldom could sleep through a whole night without waking up a few times.
    Many EXXJs I know need lots of sleep. They will sleep until noon everyday if they could. I cant stand being in the bed passed 7 or so. Even when Im sick I have to get up for a while. I usually am in the sack by 11-11:30.
    Sometimes I'll ask myself, "Did that really happen or did I dream it?"

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I didn't have to sleep . . . I'd get so much more done!

On the other hand, I get such a great night's sleep the night after I've had insomnia. It's uh delicious or something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Type and sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I'm ENTp, and I've always been an insomniac. I remember being 5 or 6 and looking at the clock and it being 2:00 in the morning. I just can't seem to shut my brain off!

Studies show that people who sleep 5 to 7 hours a night are the most healthy. I used to think I was a 7 hour a night kind of girl, but I'm not so sure anymore. I think it changes a lot. Recently I decided that instead of trying to get in bed by a certain time or make sure I get enough sleep, I should just listen to my body and go to bed when I am sleepy. I believe taking the "should" out of bed time has allowed me a better quality sleep (well, it's sorta hard to judge atm, but it seems like it).

Anyways, do you think that your type influences your sleep habits?
    there have been times where i barily sleep at all. however since i stopped taking caffeine, i sleep pretty well. a small amount of caffeine doesn't do much, but when i go to bed, i can't sleep. if i take too much, my mind shuts out the outside world and the inside world. i don't like it.

i get a better resting sleep, if i can end my dreams, go lucid, or recall my dreams in a good way, i'm usually pretty good for the day.

i don't get up well, i have to wake up at 5:30am every morning, on the weekend i can sleep late, around 9pm. i go to bed around 11:00pm'ish, so like 6 hours or so for workdays, 10 or more on the weekends. if i don't get those weekends, i get really cranky, and really stressed. i'm usually cool as a cucumber, but when stressed, it's totally the opposite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gugu_ baba
    For me it's hard to get asleep. I need more than an hour after I put my head on the pillow. It's ever been like this, since I've known myself

Definetely I'm a late evening person
    do you drink a lot of coffee? eat chocolate? soda? do you take anything with peppermint during the day? or listen to really fast paced music? those things could keep you up.

it takes me from 10-60min. it depends how hot i am, i can't sleep unless i'm cool, so after a shower, it takes longer.

Creepy-

"i can't sleep unless i'm cool, so after a shower, it takes longer."

Take a cool shower? (sorry, just trying to be helpful...)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    "i can't sleep unless i'm cool, so after a shower, it takes longer."

Take a cool shower? (sorry, just trying to be helpful...)
    i usually have to cool it down at the end. if it's too hot i get dizzy. but it can't be too cold either...

Creepy-

vbkjfhkjsf

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know if i can help you to find type correlations but anyway: I'm ENTp, it's almost 8am and i'm not going to sleep before a while.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does not matter what time I go to sleep, a usually wake up around 5-7AM. For a long time I used to get up right around 5:30 no matter what. If I am a sleep after 8:00AM, I feel like I am dying or something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    Is there anyone else who finds that exercise reduces their chances of getting to bed before midnight that night?
    Yes! Absolutely. The only exercise I can do after 8:00 p.m. is either walking or yoga.

Creepy-

vbnwkryuhikdfs

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anyone else who finds that exercise reduces their chances of getting to bed before midnight that night?
    Yeh, it's quite an omnious thing, since exercise rises levels of testosterone and adrenaline.

However, high-intensity aerobics can stimulate an high release of endorphines, leading to a better aptitude to rest.

Generally speaking, no anaerobic training before going to bed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Yeh, it's quite an omnious thing, since exercise rises levels of testosterone and adrenaline.

However, high-intensity aerobics can stimulate an high release of endorphines, leading to a better aptitude to rest.

Generally speaking, no anaerobic training before going to bed.
    Why no anaerobic?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anaerobic exercise rises a lot the levels of adrenaline and testosterone, which are totally anti-sleep (testosterone levels peak in the morning, rember all the good sex scenes after waking up?).
    There is also a rise of endorphines, which might lead to an increase relaxedness, but not enough to counter the adrenaline and testo.

Creepy-pokeball

Cool info ^_^

Creepy-

fhewiouhjf

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on wheter you define exercise.

I think it's pointless to talk about "exercising" under a certain amount of BPM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast