Thread: Is it beneficial for introvert to act like extrovert?

Creepy-

Default Is it beneficial for introvert to act like extrovert?

I want to know is it beneficial for an introvert to act like extravert ?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on whether or not you're ready for it. True extroversion is a completely different way of living from introversion. The experience itself is different. A feeling of connectedness and instant rapport to perfect strangers.

Until an introvert is ready for it, they really can't comprehend it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The brains work differently. The introvert and the extravert are physically rigged to have their reward centre stimulated through different activities. The extraverts rely more on the sympathetic system, the introverts on the parasympathetic. What an introvert finds interesting, the extravert finds intolerable, and vice versa (After a certain time, that is).

So, no, an introvert can't live as an extravert. Oh, we can simulate extraversion for short periods of time, but not go full-out. The extraverts can do the same with introversion.

Whether it is beneficial depends upon the situation. I personally find extraverting exhausting, and quite often boring, but it is good for those rare cases when I get restless (Which has happened about once a year for a while now). It can also be fun at times. But give me a good movie over extraversion any time!
    Beware! Nerd genes on the prowl.

INFj - The Holy CPU Saint
    Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord
    Whether it is beneficial depends upon the situation. I personally find extraverting exhausting, and quite often boring, but it is good for those rare cases when I get restless (Which has happened about once a year for a while now). It can also be fun at times. But give me a good movie over extraversion any time!
    What do you mean by extraverting?
    Because you know, the usually extraverted activities stamped as social leisure are not really apt to define the ENT, for example

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extraverting means "being around other people beyond best friends and first-degree relatives".
    Beware! Nerd genes on the prowl.

INFj - The Holy CPU Saint
    Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord
    Extraverting means "being around other people beyond best friends and first-degree relatives".
    I knew I was getting a response like that. It's wrong, you are binding the word "extravert" to the word "social".

Thruth is, the extravert places absolute importance on the object; wheter for object you might mean other people, other thoughts, books, music - generally speaking, stimuli. Eyesnick speculated further, supposing that the extrovert has a natural level of arousal which is lower than the introverted's, therefore needs more stimulation by the outside world.

On the contrary, the intro places more importance on the sujbect (himself), his toughts, etc., due to higher natural level of arousal.

The extrovert has less activity going on in his brain. This enables him to "junk in" information more easily and faster, but usually it is more difficult (statistically speaking) for the extravert to come up with totally new thoughts.

The introvert has more activity going on in his brain. Thus, he has more difficulty in managing multiple tasks at once, and it's generally speaking slower paced than the extrovert. However, his analysis and decision-making, along with his ability to come up with totally new ideas, are better.

I have objected to your statement mainly because, with your implied definition, you cut out almost entirely the ENTxs

P.S.I know that there are a lot of gross generalizations, so if you have strong objections, please be bold.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's something I'm very unclear about in regards to extroversion. When I act extroverted now, as in past the age of 22-23, as I am as I write this post, I am directing my inner speech towards the object, that is, the collective audience in this forum. This is a totally different mode of thinking from removing myself from the object and completely processing everything I am thinking about relative to myself. (e.g., the subject)

Do extroverts do the latter before the age of 22? And is my experience acting extroverted the same as the dominant extrovert's experience? (most specifically, the ENTJ)

One of the most curious contrasts of my pre-22 years with my life now, is that back then I could talk about things that I talk about today with extroverts, and they'll be able to respond in a way I find meaningful. Before I became inner extroverted, however, they were always like "...huh? Oh yeah, well I dunno...." And when I still talk to them from the subjective viewpoint, they still have that same response.

One thing I've noticed since undergoing this inner change, is that the ENTPs tend to really lay it on.... It used to be the ENTJs... my cousin's fiancee in particular, used to really embarrass me by realizing that I had some inlinking of feeling about something that I didn't want to share with my company, and she'd be really forward with letting me know she felt it, asking if that was what I was feeling in front of everyone! Terribly embarrassing.