Thread: Typing based on very little information

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Typing based on very little information

Something Artemis said in this thread made me think a bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis
    After discussing it with Expat who said ENTj doesn't fit a Marine and after getting to know him better. I then read the type descriptions again on this forum and am pretty sure now that he's ISTp. Cone says an introvert of some kind but he doesn't know him much more than that . . . only from things I say about him.
    I said that here: http://the16types.info/forums/viewto...=1625&start=15

Actually his being a marine was for me just one hint, further details also made me doubt that he was an ENTj, I thought he was more likely an xSTx type and apparently the ISTp profile fits him.

Now, I'm pretty sure that there are ENTj marines - I think you can find all types in all jobs - but I just thought it unlikely. I thought it was a good starting point.

What I'm thinking about is, do you think that such a small amount of information can already provide a good general direction for typing someone, or it's misleading since it can make you overlook other alternatives?

I have another example.

An ISFj woman gave me the following information about an ex-boyfriend - that is all I know about him:

- a professional scuba diver, who worked with the police (recovering corpses etc)
    - "couldn't stop talking for a minute"
    - bragged to his friends about her high-profile profession and activities in detail, also revealing a few intimate details (it was her discovery that he was doing that that made her dump him, or so she said)
    - at one point - perhaps when it was falling apart - he offered to give up his job so that he could follow her around wherever her high-flying career took her, even to the point of staying at home to take care of a future child (take note that her next move would be only 1 year later, so it wouldn't happen any time soon anyway).

Now, based on that information, it appears to me that the most likely types are, in that order:

1) ESTp
    2) ESFp
    3) ISTp
    4) ENFp

While it's extremely unlikely that he'd be an xNTx type, with ENTp the least unlikely.

I know that more information is necessary for a conclusive typing, but do you think this kind of tentative typing is already valid?
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it doesn't really matter if you have a lot or a little information bayesian methodoly won't work especially for Ti quadra value people. but i agree with you. lol @ myself

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    it doesn't really matter if you have a lot or a little information bayesian methodoly won't work especially for Ti quadra value people. but i agree with you. lol @ myself
    Do you mean that Alpha quadra people are especially difficult to type in that way? Why?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not at all. what i mean is that people who have Ti as a quadra value won't listen to you when you say things like you need a preponderance of evidence to support your view they inherently won't value it so you are wasting your time. that stuff is best left for exfps rather than ixfps. infps will just continue to create alternate explanations for everything no matter what you say to them just like enfps will not follow an ordered mode of qualitative based thinking.

i was laughing at myself because as i said that i was enjoying how foolish it is for me to convince you of that effect for the same reasons
    in addition the whole thing makes no sense as a system but yet works heh so at that point (this point?) i felt 1 |\/|16|-|+ @$ \X/3|| |}3 $@`/1|\|6 +|-|1$ (i might as well be saying this) because it would have the same meaning to you or me or you and me (would it? {a quiet voice whispers: IT WOULD!!!})

forgive me for that *smiles*

*poofs*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Expat, I've been thinking about that Marines type again and discussing it with Cone. Having doubts but too many other things going on to put much effort into it. He isn't interested in Socionics and think it's crap so why bother except that I would like to know for sure.

Will type up a description one of these days. Funny thing is that if a female pic is put up for VI there are tons of responses, but not for a male VI. So you all are no help that way!
    <--- Me pouring out all my love on you!

Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said, I know nothing about VI .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    As I said, I know nothing about VI .
    I was picking on all the other guys, not you. :wink:

PS. Newman really creeps me out!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing is that if a female pic is put up for VI there are tons of responses, but not for a male VI. So you all are no help that way!
    yeah but the responses are all "woah she's hot", "dude she's a skank", or "give me a piece of that" or whatever lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    Funny thing is that if a female pic is put up for VI there are tons of responses, but not for a male VI. So you all are no help that way!
    yeah but the responses are all "woah she's hot", "dude she's a skank", or "give me a piece of that" or whatever lol
    Yeah. You're right.