Thread: 12 Angry Men: A Socionic Study

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 12 Angry Men: A Socionic Study

I was just curious if anyone had seen this movie before. It's an oldie, but a goodie. The plot, if you're unfamiliar, is of a jury deciding over the guilt or innocence of a young man accused of 1st degree murder (with the whole movie taking place as they are deliberating). I thought it was a rather fascinating psychological study, as you get to know each of the 12 men fairly well. What I was really wondering was if anyone had enough experience/knowledge of the movie as to make some preliminary guesses as to the types of the characters in the film. Though it likely means nothing to most all of you, it seemed like the main crux of the movie focused on the conflict between what I guessed was an INFj (though a very healthy, intelligent one and played by Henry Fonda, no less) and an ESTp. Independent observers that you are, there'd probably be some disagreement here. Assuming that someone, somewhere has though, here are my guesses as to the types of the jurors:

Juror 1 (foreman): ESTj
    Juror 2: INFp
    Juror 3: ESTp
    Juror 4: ESTj
    Juror 5: ISTp
    Juror 6: ISTp
    Juror 7: ESFp
    Juror 8: INFj
    Juror 9: ENFp
    Juror 10: ESTp
    Juror 11: INTj
    Juror 12: ENTp
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read the play and seen the older film, but I have absolutely no recollection of which juror is which.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blessed Wikipedia, what would we do without you?
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 12 Angry Men: A Socionic Study

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2
    That's quite a spectrum.

Right, going solely off wiki's entry for 12 Angry men, munenori, I would ask you two questions based on what I think is implausible:

1. Why would an IEI be a bank clerk? That's like having an SEI barrister. It's not just an unlikely correlation, it's a really strange and generally impossible one.
    2. Are you sure a wise and observant elderly man is akin to an IEE? Sounds like anything but an EP.

Other than that, from the information I've given, I'd say fair enough. You've also compelled me to watch it so that I can judge for myself the characters' types.

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree about Henry Fonda's character. Seems INFj to me.
    Suomea

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    That's quite a spectrum.

Right, going solely off wiki's entry for 12 Angry men, munenori, I would ask you two questions based on what I think is implausible:

1. Why would an IEI be a bank clerk? That's like having an SEI barrister. It's not just an unlikely correlation, it's a really strange and generally impossible one.
    2. Are you sure a wise and observant elderly man is akin to an IEE? Sounds like anything but an EP.

Other than that, from the information I've given, I'd say fair enough. You've also compelled me to watch it so that I can judge for myself the characters' types.
    1. To be honest, I missed where it pointed out he was a bank manager. Out of all the jurors, he was one of the hardest to type for me. I thought he might be INxx. When he offered why he thought the defendent was guilty, his answer seemed intuitive without really focusing on the facts too extensively. He was a pretty subdued character and there wasn't a lot else to go on, so he could very easily be a variety of types, I just didn't think he was a thinking type. Very much a guess on my part. Somewhat based on how he interacted with the other characters whose types I was more confident in.

2. On this one, well, part of it was how well he synched with Henry Fonda's character (which is pretty sparse stuff). Seemed to be an extraverted feeler, could have easily been a senser (especially given his keen eye for detail that comes out later in the film). Though if that's the case, I'd lean more towards ESFj than ESFp, but who knows? I sort of got a delta feel from him, but I suppose it was more an intuition than anything really apparent. He was pretty good at running through the possible motives/psychologies of the witnesses. Whatever that means.

And, yes, you should watch it.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could have easily been a senser (especially given his keen eye for detail that comes out later in the film).
    What sort of detail exactly? I haven't seen the film, but from what I understand, keen eye for detail can be attributed to Te rather than "being a senser". I may be wrong on this though, it's been a while since I last saw that written somewhere.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Te hypothesis is a possibility. The context of it was [spoil:a32b5351d4]that the old man saw another juror who wore glasses take them off and rub his nose, which he then connected to a witness doing the same as well as some other physical cues which he thought may have indicated that she was being vain and had elected not to wear her glasses to the trial. He also made some key observations of another witness which were along the same lines (going from something in their appearance and trying to get at something behind it, i.e. psychological insights)[/spoil:a32b5351d4]
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great choice - this film is a great character study for socionics.

1: ISFp
    4: ISTj
    7: ESFp
    8: INTj, though I could see INFj
    9: INFp, maybe ISFp
    10: ISFj
    11: INTp or INFj
    12: ESTp, maybe ENTp

I highly doubt 4 ("imperturbable") is ESTj. I'm not sure about the ones I didn't list, since I saw it a while ago. I should point out that #6 hardly talks at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Ezra, go watch a movie or something...

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting input. Thanks a lot, hotel.

But yeah, there isn't a lot to go on for a few of the jurors, but I figured I'd throw out all my guesses anyhow (many of which were more or less just vibes). I'm glad to see there was at least a little bit of agreement or closeness on our typings of some of them, just so I don't feel like I'm totally nuts or randomly spouting off at the mouth.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was watching this film this week for my government class. as hotelambush said, it makes a wonderful case study for some of the characters. some of them (like 5 and 6) really aren't very developed, and, as always with fictional characters, some of them seem contradictory (especially #2).

1- no idea
    2- probably a bad character. has elements of EII, IEI, ESI.
    3- SLE, obvious.
    4- LSI is possible
    5- no idea
    6- no idea
    7- perhaps SLE or ILI. not a very well-developed character.
    8- EII, obvious.
    9- Si dominant. SLI maybe.
    10- not sure.
    11- EII is possible. i'm not sure that this character is entirely consistent.
    12- strange guy. i interpret his behavior as a complete lack of confidence in Ne and Ti, but there are a number of things about him that suggest that gamma is not at all likely. possibly ESE, maybe SEI, or another distinct possibility might be an unusually intimidated ILE.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8 - This is kind of a hard typing imo, he comes off very Fi, but he's not all that introverted because he doesn't have a problem taking a commanding presence and directly confronting everyone in the room in one way or another. He also didn't seem to have a real problem with anyone and was the only one initially open to considering the boy might not be guilty. I'm sympathetic because as someone that self-types Ni lead, it's pretty much how my mind operates - it's like everything that happens or is said or is done isn't exactly real; there's something else behind everything that is more real and more truthful than what's on the surface. And even then, it's not exactly the truth anyway. So everything kind of becomes...inherently suspect...even myself. I think his character displayed strong intuition in a sense and was probably an extrovert. So that would kind of make him Fi-valuing, intuition ego, and extrovert, so maybe LIE or IEE? Holographic probably fits this character better than Vortical though and he doesn't display the abrasiveness that LIEs have when they get passionate about stuff.

I think Juror 4 had a Ti mindset, probably LSI. Very rational and down to earth. Changed his mind when his reasons no longer held weight.

3 was kind of a neurotic SLE, always kind of assuming the worst in people whether true or not -> Jungian neurotic Se.

1 - no idea
    2 - no idea
    5 - not sure, except that he seemed introverted.
    6 - I don't know. He did the whole "respect your elders thing", which means something, but I'm not sure what.
    7 - I felt the same as Juror 11 about him. That probably suggests Ti/Fe valuing?

9 - I think he may be best represented by EII, but I can't explain why I feel that way.
    10 - Seemed Si valuing, his bigoted speech about them all being a certain way and what not seemed to represent Jungian Ne neurosis. Maybe a neurotic LSE?
    11 - Definitely seemed Fi valuing when he approached Juror 7 on not having a reason for voting. Seemed kind of introverted as well. Maybe ILI, SLI, or possibly even EII.
    12 - Don't know. He was pretty open to being wrong, which was nice in contrast to the other characters. He also seemed the most surprised by all the stuff other people had noticed, like it his blew his mind or something. Not sure it's enough to type though. But it probably means something, I just don't know what.
    Androgynous Robot Dreamer - Not really human, but good at pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    blame the merry quadras