Thread: Braintypes, Dyslexia, other LD

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Braintypes, Dyslexia, other LD

is there any correlation with braintypes and certain learning conditions like dyslexia?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please my anal retentivity, but I think it would be most wise to not use the term "braintypes" in reference to the Socionic sort of psychological type, seeing as how that's the term Niednagel uses for his psychological types.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dyslexia, other LD

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    is there any correlation with braintypes and certain learning conditions like dyslexia?
    Where did you get that word from? And I hope you keep a concious border between braintypes and socionics.

And as for the topic, is it just me, or does anyone else just not care about these kinds of subjects? No one really knows about disabilities/types, and even if we did know, what would it mean to you? Next thing, people are going to start threads saying things like, "Which type is the most likely to have STDs?".
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think ahead too much and/or lose focus when you type up your posts, MysticSonic? I notice that you tend to leave out important words in your posts.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    And as for the topic, is it just me, or does anyone else just not care about these kinds of subjects? No one really knows about disabilities/types, and even if we did know, what would it mean to you? Next thing, people are going to start threads saying things like, "Which type is the most likely to have STDs?".
    Poor newbies...they always get the attacked for the things we were all guilty of once. Kind of like rmcnew's dilemma.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Do you think ahead too much and/or lose focus when you type up your posts, MysticSonic? I notice that you tend to leave out important words in your posts."

I'm just not a detail-oriented person; I suppose you could rightly call that "losing one's focus."
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know an ISFp which claims she has dyslexia but to be quite honest I don't believe her. I suppose one could mistake weak Te for dyslexia. Every other ISFp I know has trouble writing to some extent, although some conquer this better than others. Also, I have a Tai-Chi class and there is an ISFp girl in the class which always faces the wrong direction and so forth. Her and I are probably the two most likely to do that, strangely enough.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Tai-Chi class and there is an ISFp girl in the class which always faces the wrong direction and so forth. Her and I are probably the two most likely to do that, strangely enough.
    Ever wonder how everyone else seems to just know which way to face or know exactly what to do in those sort of things? When I was in middle school, I had theories about collective unconscious messaging. It just seemed like everyone knew what to do except me.

And no, I'm not dyslexic. I doubt it's type-related though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, I know an ISFp who claims to be dyslexic too, and I also don't believe her.
    ENFP - Ethical Subtype.
    In touch with semireality.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My youngest brother was accused of being dyslexic. I didnt belive it. He was restless and very disinterested in reading. If I think about it Im almost certain he was SLE or at least SEE. I say was because he died when he was 7 but I still remember his boyant restless attitude. He was quite bright but if you put something to read infront of him he would just look at the first or second letters and guess at the word with out concentrating on it.
    I find myself doing that at times esp when reading outloud. My mind would want to fill in the next word before I read it. Short words would just not even register. So of course I make mistakes. Infact recently I took and exam and I missed a very easy question because reading the first part of the question I assumed where it was going and marked my answer. I have to force myself to slow down and look at what is in print than just skimming to get the jest of whats written.
    atonehr tnihg is if you raerarnge vraoius lteerts in wrdos ecpxet for the fsrit and fainl lteter you can slitl uestnandd the sntneace. Maybe...

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Creepy-ms k

i used the word braintypes because i think dyslexia is more about a brain condition than something like social theory.

i admit i dont know what the relation is between braintypes and socionics is. but id thought that we were all agreeing that socionics suppopses that one is born with a type which implies it's part of your physical makeup. to me

also, most topics i post are of relevance or interest to me, and might not be interesting to anyone else.

BTW, im one of the people that thinks its ok to talk about relationship problems here as long as its made more general. I suppose the personal nature of posts may never change as it depends on the poster's judgment.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"X types are likely to have Y condition", but not "People with Y condition are likely to have X type".

agree

and also let me state in case it was unclear, that im not implying that there is anything wrong with such disorder. I am using the terms as a reference point for learning style.

i read somewhere that NT types are more likely to have migraines as well. I wish i remember where i had read that. it was a few years ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think that what a type actually is, as well as what alot of disorders actually are sort of make this a difficult problem. is a type an end accumulation of a variety of traits? After all, aren't types based upon preferred or more present behaviors? So I can see the possibility of the presence of dyslexia as being a contributor to the generation of type, but also on the other side I can see dyslexia as being a symptom of type. But what the hell is type, anyway?

eh, im sorta drunk.

I ate a pickel with a hamburger. Some pickels from restaurants taste like dishwasher. I might be alone.

Creepy-pokeball

I know 3 people with dyslexia and all three have different primary functions. Anecdotal for sure but interesting none the less. Perhaps it has to do with learned (not inate) function preference as all 3 are I's. Perhaps (I have no clue btw, Im just throwing out an idea) they may be more introverted than they might have been because dyslexia could hinder things in life and put them in further social isolation.

But a cause/effect relationship with function? I highly doubt it. Then again, wtf do we know anyway?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for certain types being likely to have a condition, I think that the Te dominant might be likely to be manic depressive or something along those lines (maybe the Fe dominant ones, too). Si dominant types seem like the least likely to be manic depressive because Si is all about stabalizing moods, so when something starts to get to high, they bring it down a bit, and when conditions get to low, they try and raise it up.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    , I think that the Te dominant might be likely to be manic depressive or something along those lines
    That's interesting. Depressive manifestations come in different forms, for LIIs it's more likely to be lethargo-depressive.

oh yeah, and waddles said something about drunkards, which manifest in different ways: some are sad when they are drunk, some act like a clown and others are violent. I suppose it depends on the temperament, rather than on types

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lethargo-depressive? How would that be two opposite poles? Or are you not attempting to indicate such a dichotomy at all?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, mystic, you got it right. I wanted to indicate opposite manifestasions within the same, should I say disposition or feeling, like too much Te could lead to manic depressive symptoms and too much Ti could lead to lethargo-depressive symptoms. It is the same feeling only that it resonates in different directions, on the inside or on the outside world

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by ms k
    i used the word braintypes because i think dyslexia is more about a brain condition than something like social theory.

i admit i dont know what the relation is between braintypes and socionics is. but id thought that we were all agreeing that socionics suppopses that one is born with a type which implies it's part of your physical makeup. to me
    I like your honesty. Anyhow... I think you hit on something valuable here that I was thinking about a long while ago. How much of temperament do we know is inate via biological processes? How much of temperament is social role? How much of temperament is learned bahavior? I would so love to know that and I dont think anyone can answer it honestly at this point in time.

Creepy-pokeball

http://www.cognitivetherapy.com/basics.html

Just so people know what were yappin' about.

Therapy is just a tool for manipulation or control to *ideally* bring a patient to a "healthy" pattern between the continuum of normal and abnormal in current cultural standards.

CBT seems to be very wide spectrum. Some of those traits listed that are trying to be "controlled and manipulated" could be inate, coping mechanisms, learned, environmentally responsive, etc. Temperament could be a combination of all these as well and be just as broad. We don't know. We could try proving it with theoretical models but each model has a bias for itself. "Because Model XYZ concludes this then... is true." "Oh but Model ABC concludes this instead!" I'm not condemning this btw but I do think that it is not wise to adhere narrowly to a single source without looking at as much as possible to see the broader spectrum and how they could possibly relate. In fact, current psych references use relativity for abnormal psych and do not condone the use of absolutism (which is sorta humorous but whatever lol). There is also the issue of multiple-causality to consider.

...but Im sure you know this. Im sure some dont tho =)