Thread: Questions about leading/base function

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Questions about leading/base function

OK, I have a couple questions about dominant functions, and their are some things I'd like to clear up as well.

Can people become arrogant enough about their dominant function to make it almost seem like it's a weak function for them?

Let me explain... sometimes it seems like people are so confident in their base function that issues relating to it can be "put off" or ignored to focus on other things. I noticed my Dad, for example. He is an ILI, dominant Ni. Something that is odd about him is that he is always, always, always late for things. I'm not kidding, our next-door NEIGHBORS had a surprise party once.. and he was even late for that! Yet, Ni is supposed to be the intuition of TIME. It seems like these types can percieve time very well, but just not care about it. This may have something to do with the "arrogance" thing I mentioned above; people become so sure of their dominant function (in this case, being able to visualize time pass in thier heads) that they don't care if they don't take care of it. I am usually diffrent; Ni as a role function for me, I either worry about or get nervous about being late, than I focus on being early. Anyone else notice this happening?

Do people enjoy using their dominant functions?

How much using your dominant function can you tolerate before you get bored of it? But is it still possible to draw energy and confidence from it? For me, I've noticed that I usually feel my best after I have "beaten" my dominant function into submission... wait, that didn't come out right. I'll give an example. One thing that I enjoy doing is just taking a baseball bat and crushing baseballs for a while (either in a batting cage, or with a tennis ball, whatever...). I've noticed in the past that whenever I've done something like this and expended all of my energy, I feel great the next day. Otherwise I might feel tired, or lazy, or unhealthy. So, I guess this is what it means when people suppossively get confidence and strength from using their base function... but, as I mentioned above, how much is too much? Does anyone else ever get sick of using their base function all the time? It gives you "confidence", yes, but it also can bring on a type of melancolly, oddley enough. It seems like a lot of the time people enjoy thier other functions more so than their dominant one.

????

.. ok, that's a start, I know that there's more to say, but we can say that latter....
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its funny you mention this cause I see the same thing all the time. People who could easily use thier function sometimes just get so tired of the cliche of it they dont take care of it. Last night I was asking a EII about a situation involving someone. I kept trying to get at his insight on the matter and I knew he had a point of view or idea about it, but he kept on going " Oh I dont know " "I dont know" with a little grin that said "I dont really want to tell"
    Another example, I know about 3 SLIs that seem to hardly care what they are wearing. One had a rip in his clothes that I would be embarrased to be seen with. The other wears ugly scuffed shoes and an old jacket when clearly he could get a new one. He just doesnt care.
    I know this LSE girl who buys this very impractical jeep to ride around in. I asked her why and she was like ' I dont know. '
    Even I at times find more joy in digging into than brainstorming possibilities. When I do use my sometimes its at the service of my other functions, so go figure.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    I know about 3 SLIs that seem to hardly care what they are wearing. One had a rip in his clothes that I would be embarrased to be seen with. The other wears ugly scuffed shoes and an old jacket when clearly he could get a new one. He just doesnt care.
    .. me too!
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-heathiep

yeh i agree. i think we have the same dominant function, cause i do the same thing, just using my drumming practice pad. whew. or maybe we are just both obsessed with some sort of activity and it nearly runs our lives in a way?