Hybrid View

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ENTp is the most common type?

I've heard in a few places that, according to Socionics, ENTP is the most common type. This confused me greatly because according to MBTI (which I'm more familiar with), ENTP is one of the rarest (I think third rarest; not positive) types. Is there a reason for this?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ENTP=Most common type?

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    I've heard in a few places that, according to Socionics, ENTP is the most common type. This confused me greatly because according to MBTI (which I'm more familiar with), ENTP is one of the rarest (I think third rarest; not positive) types. Is there a reason for this?
    .. not only socioncs.

Quote Originally Posted by BrainTypes.com
    ..the more BTI researches the 16 BTs, it is realizing there are more FCIRs [ENTPs in MBTI or ILEs in socionics] in the world than any other innate design.
    I find it interesting that socionics and BrainTypes come from to seperate corners of the world, but have realzied that same conclusion.

... and every MBTI distribution figure is made up....
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Sj and Sp types everywhere. I don't know about ENTps being the most common.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megan.
    I see Sj and Sp types everywhere. I don't know about ENTps being the most common.
    .. I see them everywhere. That's why I found comfort in knowing that both Socionics and BrainTypes say that they are the most common type. I used to think I was crazy because I was seeing too many ILEs.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocky would you direct me to where on Brain Types they said that ENTp is the most common type?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, I'm almost positive that I only know one other ENTP. I'm sure if they were the most common type (which I'm highly doubtful of) that, even with my stringent standards for what I would call an NT, I would know at least four or five. At least.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, I'm almost positive that I only know one other ENTP. I'm sure if they were the most common type (which I'm highly doubtful of) that, even with my stringent standards for what I would call an NT, I would know at least four or five. At least.
    You probably know more than one. They can have various diffrent personalities. Why are you positive that you know only one? Maybe you need to broaden your perception on what an ILE is.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocky regarding the issue, this is what I "got" from the two sites you posted.

The ENTP is the most common quarterback in the NFL.

So, this is basically saying that in the NFL, the ENTP is one of the most common types of quarterback. It does not actually say how commonly ENTps are found in other positions besides quarterback in the NFL or how many ENTps are to be found in the general population outside the NFL.

Yet the more BTI researches the 16 BTs, it is realizing there are more FCIRs(ENTPs) in the world than any other innate design.

There is an implication here that they have not concluded research(hence the use of the word realizing). How can they make such a statement that the ENTP is most common if the have not finished collecting evidence?
    They have lost quite a lot of credibility in my mind by issueing such information prematurely.

I just do not believe that ENTps are very common myself. I think the world would be a very different place if they were the most common type. If they are, I think I will be making arrangements to move to another galaxy far far away:wink: .

I am speculating, but it seems to me that society needs a lot of Sj types moreso than any other to hold society together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Entp's by nature are fascinated by new and interesting things... I think it's just that ENTP's are more likely to explore/consider these ideas and get into them, thus the stronger prevalence of them on certain polls.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, old thread...

Or perhaps consider the social effects of history. Following the scientific and industrial revolutions a greater emphasis was put on education and on logical thinking. With the creation of the scientific method the world became, more or less, a Ti society pushed forward with Te drive. So in a society where, from as young as 4 or 5, people are encouraged (which I don't think is an extreme enough word) to apply logical systems to everything you're going to see people automatically valuing T-functions.

Meanwhile, when you're around the age where you start looking into these things (a lot of us seem to be doing it late-teens and into their twenties, judging by the trends I've observed here) you're in the middle of a phase in your life where you're exploring what it means to accept your own identity. If you've just gone through so many years where everything is about logical and innovative thinking before all else, then it shouldn't be a surprise that a lot of people will identify with ILE. Add to that the knowledge that a lot of people go through an awkward social phase in their teens where they're unsure of their relationships (Fi PoLR), the fact that psychology proves that adolescents are by nature ego-centric (Fe HA), the fact that teens and young adults are more prone to a rebellious nature (Se Role), not to mention the idea that adolescents and adults in their 20's are more prone to experimenting and doing things that most would consider a little crazy (alphas, lol) then what do you get? A lot of supposed ENTp's.

And do you think a lot of those people follow that idea through to completion? Perhaps not. A lot of people just take some vague test in school, it tells them they're ILE, they read the profile at face value and say "Yup, sounds like me." and move on. Look at how many people on this forum think they're ILE and then have people tossing around other ideas. Leon (Mr. Saturn) is a perfect example.

It's quite possible that there are a lot of ILE's out there, but I'm skeptical. Less than 1% of the people I know even have a shot at being ILE, and I only know 1 person for sure.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually approach socionics with the assumption that the types are fairly evenly distributed. Almost any assumption like that is almost necessarily a priori, you still have to take a stance. To me, assuming a consistently uneven distribution of types is like assuming that there will always be significantly more of one gender than the other. Also, very few societies seem to represent Alpha values on a large scale, which is not what one would expect if ENTps were truly more common. As some have mentioned, ENTp is kind of presented as a "prestige type" in many tests, as the description of extraversion, intuition, thinking, and perception come of as social desirable traits: outgoing, intelligent, reasonable, and flexible, respectively. Even an attempt to produce connotatively positive substitutes for the opposite traits (say, thoughtful, practical, agreeable, and conscientious) do not sound as cool as the way ENTps are described.

Additionally, BrainTypes guy types almost exclusively by motor skills. Though I do believe muscle movement patterns do strongly reflect personality, Niednagel looks at skills, and almost anyone that appears more skilled in abstract reasoning than in a certain kinesthetic activity (i.e., most people) will come up as xNTP, and with the normal American social emphasis on the need to be personable and outgoing, most will be typed as ENTp, or "FCIR" in his typology. In regards to a large number quarterbacks being ENTps, that might be an interesting thing to look into. I can tell you right away that of the last four quarterbacks to win the Superbowl (Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Rothlisberger), I do not believe any of them to be ENTp going off what little I know about them. But it might be interesting to look into the types of quarterbacks.

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with regards to even distribution. Perhaps I just like symmetrical reasoning, but I find it illogical to believe that there would be more of one type than another in such a high percentage as to say, conclusively, that XXX is the most common type.

What you said about ENTp as having popular superficial interpretation also rang true for me. As you said, who wouldn't want to be "outgoing, intelligent, reasonable, and flexible". Similarly there is this misconception about extroversion/introversion and thinking/feeling that is both difficult for the outsider to judge by, and somewhat confusing for the individual. For whatever reason, people seem to confuse extroversion with outgoingness and introversion as shyness or social awkwardness, which is simply untrue. That, in itself, probably causes a lot of people to mistype themselves. Additionally, people seem to think that thinking and feeling are mutually exclusive, which they aren't. Being a "feeling" type doesn't mean that you are illogical, it simply means that ethics/feelings are more natural and of a higher priority to you. Even then, both parts can work hand-in-hand. So a lot of people will see "feeling/ethics" as the anti-thesis of "thinking/logic" and say "I'm not illogical!" thereby completely disregarding half of the 16 types as "not theirs".
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    ...Maybe you need to broaden your perception on what an ILE is.
    @ Rocky

Would you expand on how to broaden perception of what an ILE is? Is there some factor being prejudically included or excluded.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megan
    The ENTP is the most common quarterback in the NFL.

So, this is basically saying that in the NFL, the ENTP is one of the most common types of quarterback. It does not actually say how commonly ENTps are found in other positions besides quarterback in the NFL or how many ENTps are to be found in the general population outside the NFL.
    .. they also said that there were a lot more ENTPs than ESTPs walking around on a whole (which is diffrent from what most MBTI stats would say).

Yet the more BTI researches the 16 BTs, it is realizing there are more FCIRs(ENTPs) in the world than any other innate design.

There is an implication here that they have not concluded research(hence the use of the word realizing). How can they make such a statement that the ENTP is most common if the have not finished collecting evidence?
    They have lost quite a lot of credibility in my mind by issueing such information prematurely.
    I don't know how it is really possible to conduct a true "study" on types-population. What I do know is they have been claiming to asses people for over 30 years now. Jon N also gets hired to type thousands of people each year. Don't you think that they would be able to notice a trend? If they starting seeing ENTPs pop up more often then other types on a consistant basis, you don't think that has some credability?

Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    Hey, that article said that there's many many more ILEs than SLEs. What do you think about that, Rocky?
    ... probably true...

@ Rocky

Would you expand on how to broaden perception of what an ILE is? Is there some factor being prejudically included or excluded.
    One thing is that people seem to have this ideal of what someone of one type should be, without realizing that people in the same type can act very diffrent. For one, I think some ENTPs can be confused for sensors. Even at ENTP.org, some of them deny people like Snoop Dogg and Will Smith as being ENTP... they think that people like that are more "SP" types when, really, it's just more of an image. I know one ILE guy who reminds me a lot of Will Smith. But then I know other ILEs who aren't percieved as that "cool", and maybe focus more on school (more of the nerdy kind). Some ILEs can be more of the aggessive, George Carlin type (Se subtypes?). I've seen these ILEs talk more about sex, etc.. and push more of the tough Se at you (I think this can happen with the role funciton). I even know one ILE who I played baseball with and was a real hothead. I actually thought he was SLE (SeTi) at first, but no go for that one. He even looks very, very much like pitcher Roy Oswalt, who was typed as another ENTP in that link. Anyway, that's a start, but I think you get the idea...

EDIT: And, yeah, some of them can be confused for feelers, too. Those are the more Jon Stewart/ Robin Williams types. Probably has something to do with the hidden agenda. Also, some ILEs are quite, so they maybe considered introverts.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Rocky
    .. they also said that there were a lot more ENTPs than ESTPs walking around on a whole (which is diffrent from what most MBTI stats would say).
    Yes, but like I said before the evidence just does not seem to be there to fully support that theory yet.

I don't know how it is really possible to conduct a true "study" on types-population. What I do know is they have been claiming to asses people for over 30 years now. Jon N also gets hired to type thousands of people each year. Don't you think that they would be able to notice a trend? If they starting seeing ENTPs pop up more often then other types on a consistant basis, you don't think that has some credability?

Actually I think it is quite possible to conduct a study of the number of types in the population. However, I better system for type identifcation may be needed.
    Also, the Brain Types researchers might have identified trends but I would not come to any final conclusions based on just the trends. Trends may point towards a phenomena, but they don't confirm its existence exactly.

[quote="Herzblut"]Hey, that article said that there's many many more ILEs than SLEs. What do you think about that, Rocky?

... probably true...

I say probably not true

I also agree with you that Will Smith is an ENTp, I have thought that for a long time now.
    I think he was on his way to M.I.T (or some such place)when his music career beckoned.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way that ENTp is the most common type.

There seem to be a whole lot of ENTps and INTjs in this forum though.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there were so many entp's then there would be more female entp's besides me and Joy at this forum!
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think implied in an ENTp.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? I thought she was infp or something. But maybe - I'll have to looke more closely at her posts.
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I admit that I haven't read all that many of her posts, but here writing style is T, imo.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I admit that I haven't read all that many of her posts, but here writing style is T, imo.
    @Joy
    How can T writing style be recognized?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ummmmmmmmmmmm I dunno. I just do.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Really? I thought she was infp or something. But maybe - I'll have to looke more closely at her posts.
    http://the16types.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=956
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Megan.

I asked that last question of you Joy.
    Darn, I wish there was a more systemic way to recognize T style. Anyway, implied does seem to be NT at times though I could not explain why I think this either .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For one, I think ethics are more "attached" to their emotions while they right. Logics type in a more detached sort of way.. it's hard to explain. Ethics are also more consious of keeping the peace, whereas logical types are more prone to "attacking" people to get their point across.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I attack no one. Besides Mercutio, and he asks for it.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Rocky

For the love of someone, lets' not turn this into another "implied's type" thread but I must ask, in your opinion what type do you think she is?

I am curious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Rocky

For the love of someone, lets' not turn this into another "implied's type" thread but I must ask, in your opinion what type do you think she is?

I am curious.
    ... was it not clear? Logical-intuitive Intratim. I think I've said that since the first day she's been here...

EDIT: I tried going back to her old, original thread where she described herself, and she edited out the description... hmm...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't attack Mercutio, he's an ENTP for sure...

Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-Paul

I very seriously doubt that ENTp’s are the most common type.

Really, if they were, don’t you think they would have legalized weed by now?

Paul

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    I very seriously doubt that ENTp’s are the most common type.

Really, if they were, don’t you think they would have legalized weed by now?

Paul

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/....ap/index.html

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/11/5/19722/9438
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I have some of whatever you're on?
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is hard for me to find an ENTP in my town. Or haven't studied enough what describes an ENTP(I would but I'm too lazy right now ).
    ISFP, SEI

Creepy-Paul

Can I have some of whatever you're on?
    Yep, if ENTps really where the most common type, weed would be legal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe it changes, like those moths that got eaten by owls in england or something.

before the industry came in the lighter ones were more common, but when the industry came in the smog covered the trees and the darker ones survived more cause the camo worked better.

there is also a genotype-phenotype issue. I might be a little off, but i'll give this a shot: Some plants have a phenotype(explicit physical characteristics) which expresses dependent upon environmental demands. So although the the genotype(implicit genetic structure) has potential traits these traits only express in a given environment. So we could have the predisposition for multiple types but only one expresses explicitly based upon the way the functions organize themselves naturally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But no, I don't accept those results as valid. I don't think ENTp's are the most common type.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people here seem to think that "most common type" equals "more than half of the population". Not true. "Most common type" might mean that there are 7% of them in the general populace, while the rest are evenly distributed at 6.2%. Or, indeed, that there are 6.30% of them, compared to 6.247% of all the others. Or even less.

@Rocky: Are there any similar figures for the other types?
    Beware! Nerd genes on the prowl.

INFj - The Holy CPU Saint
    Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Rocky: Are there any similar figures for the other types?
    ... what I remember is that they claim that the ILI (INTP) is the LEAST common type... I could probab;y find some of the other statistics, too...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... what I remember is that they claim that the ILI (INTP) is the LEAST common type...
    No wonder I can't find any INTps, yet I keep finding ENFps...
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast