Thread: Are IEIs/INFps attracted to look into mirrors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are IEIs/INFps attracted to look into mirrors?

Do any of you have the tendency to move towards mirrors when you see them and always look?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And car windows, and everything that has a reflection. I'm constantly checking out my reflection. I think it may be linked to needing Se.

I was actually thinking of starting a topic like this some time ago because this is something I noticed about myself. A prominent feature.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this all the time too. How can this be type related?

Needing Se?? How?
    INFp

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: INFP's and Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by So Crazy
    Do any of you have the tendency to move towards mirrors when you see them and always look?
    Totally.

Didn't know this could possibly be type-specific. It's totally distracting, especially when there's one next to me, if I'm sitting with other people, I can't help but keep checking out my reflection. Really kind of "Mirror, mirror..." of me. I'm so fascinated by my own reflection.

And I love that Caravaggio painting of Narcissus!!

Another favorite:

Narcissus -- Waterhouse
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Good one.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eliphalet
    Needing Se?? How?
    Because I cannot see myself and I need a way of getting the Se info. If I had a Se type they'd be all you have some shit there, your shirt is not aligned and stuff like that and I wouldn't have to constantly check myself in mirrors to see if everything is ok with me all the time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca
    Needing Se?? How?
    Because I cannot see myself and I need a way of getting the Se info. If I had a Se type they'd be all you have some shit there, your shirt is not aligned and stuff like that and I wouldn't have to constantly check myself in mirrors to see if everything is ok with me all the time.
    I dunno. Sometimes I look in mirrors just to admire.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron
    Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca
    Needing Se?? How?
    I dunno. Sometimes I look in mirrors just to admire.
    I never look to admire. Only for "reality checks". I really suck at noticing that stuff. Once when I was little, about 8 or so, I walked out with noting on but a robe and fluffy slippers. I didn't notice it. I just wanted to go somewhere, do something, can't remember now, and took the necessary steps to make it done. Luckily I noticed shortly after leaving the building that something felt odd, my feet felt as if I was wearing slippers and that was unusual because out side they are suppose to feel as if I am wearing shoes. It was only then that I noticed how inappropriately dressed I was. I just feel too comfortable being myself.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have walked out of the house several times (even this year) wearing slippers instead of shoes. I guess I need a full-length mirror in the entry. ha
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally, i don't like seeing reflections of myself in public (or when other people are around); it makes me really self-conscious, like something's broken. but when i'm alone, i can stare at my reflection in a mirror for hours just admiring myself. i sometimes get excited when i see my own naked body. when having sex, i like to have a mirror or two located in various strategic corners just to watch myself in action. i love me.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe this is more related to role than anything else.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    I always look in every reflective surface that I can possibly find, simply because I like my face.
    *thumbs up*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by introspectivedolphin

Sometimes in certain lights I look better, so I keep glancing in the mirror thinking "wow, I'm actually not as bad looking as I thought! Yes!" Then there are lights that make me look gaunt, tired, and sallow, and I keep glancing in the mirror till despair sets in.
    the same thing happens to me lol! the worst is when I get 2 different impressions within a short span of time, so in the morning ièm all confident and look at myself and am like -not so bad- but then after lunch look in a different mirror and its like someone somehow decapitated and re-attached my head while I wasnt paying attention and used it to practice their soccer skills on a dirty staircase, night time is always better though cause everything always looks better in the dark
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always noticed that I look much better in "natural" lighting. Sunlight is the best, then incandescent. Fluorescent is the WORST. Walking dead. My skin looks horrible in that light; always picks up the creases, and magnifies blemishes. I generally look sunken and sallow in fluorescent. Damn those institutional restrooms!!

And I'm really worried that Congress is forcing a "phase-out" of incandescents!

(My vanity > My environmentalism in this case)

Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a nice pic...

Narcissus??? hmmm......

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii
    Quote Originally Posted by introspectivedolphin

Sometimes in certain lights I look better, so I keep glancing in the mirror thinking "wow, I'm actually not as bad looking as I thought! Yes!" Then there are lights that make me look gaunt, tired, and sallow, and I keep glancing in the mirror till despair sets in.
    the same thing happens to me lol! the worst is when I get 2 different impressions within a short span of time, so in the morning ièm all confident and look at myself and am like -not so bad- but then after lunch look in a different mirror and its like someone somehow decapitated and re-attached my head while I wasnt paying attention and used it to practice their soccer skills on a dirty staircase, night time is always better though cause everything always looks better in the dark
    Ahahaha, this is all true for me as well. I think I have it a little worse being that is my PoLR Having PoLR sort of sucks in this regard ... I never feel comfortable "in my own skin" as dominants consistently seem to be. I am constantly checking and re-checking (as you guys do) how I look at the moment. I think that is exactly it - I can not be "in the moment" perfectly and at ease with myself... always looking ahead or even reflecting about behind.

Funny thing is, I get that same exact thing with lighting as well. I also have this queer little thing about "feeling" like I look better in the morning, when I have just gotten all ready and made up. For some reason, as the day wears on, I always feel like I progressively look worse because of all the day's activities that could possibly have messed up my "perfection" in the morning. It's really annoying ... because there probably isn't a noticeable change at all, it's just me being overly critical of myself.

Something also : I always feel uncomfortable in some slight way. I barely ever feel totally "relaxed" ... it's very difficult for me to really settle down in public and when I go home in private, I usually crash and become "myself" ... my real clumsy self. I would hate it if anyone ever knew how I really behaved and/or looked like when I am alone in my home. It's just so different and I'm not the most hygienic person either It's difficult for me to remember to do stuff sometimes ... agh!

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this thread was going to be about mirror relations =P
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mirrors and INFps go together, because both reflect upon things a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro
    +10!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro
    I reflect on things too much, but have always had a natural aversion to mirrors ~ even back when I used to be a 10 and continually pestered (even by strangers) to "be a model."

Not that I'm saying I'm INFp - just throwing this data into the mix. Very odd how these beta NFs gravitate to mirrors ... should probably be more like this. No wonder those INFps usually look so polished.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i should do this more. i have accidently gone outside naked w/ my dog -- early morning, just barely light out, still mostly asleep. no kidding. realized after i climbed back into bed and was reality-struck.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I look in the mirror a lot. Hey when ya got it, flaunt it. (But only if you got it.)

It's like an instinctive reaction. If I see a mirror, I'm gonna look into it. ;D Sometimes I used to look at myself in the mirror for a long time but not anymore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is somatic and cerebral narcissism and i wonder if our poster suffers from the latter.

lefty
    enfj
    4w5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: infp and es tendancies...it's probably related to their hidden angenda to be healthy. I'd probably be to task oriented to care, though i was more like that as a teenager. but being task oriented points to my hidden agenda "to be wealthy."

one one page i saw us laid out with five function for each personality. the page speculates that from 0-10 its our first function (ef or if) 10-20 second, (in or en), and our third is split up into two at 25 either (es or is) up until 30 and then switching to (is or es) until 35 at which point we begin arranging our lives 35 to 55 at our fourth function (it or et). then returning to the two primary functions after 55.

so i think its an interesting theory that people have sort of this alternating third function (the area where we make decisions), but I haven't quite figured out what it means, but I guess its related to our hidden angenda.

lefty
    enfj
    4w5

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this weird thing where I look in mirrors, when there's no one around, I talk to myself as a I look in the mirror. I may also remember things that were said to me and connect that to my image of myself, how others perceive me.

I may also pace back-and-forth to get pent up energy out and look at myself in a mirror when I'm alone. I don't particularly like how I look in them either. Just checking up on if I look okay, or it helps me process certain thoughts, when I verbalize them as I look in a mirror, trying out different tones of voice. I know it doesn't really make any sense. How others perceive me comes to mind when I look in a mirror.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not when someone sees!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

My iei boyfriend actually avoids mirrors to the point that his rearview in his car is turned away. He's gotta look at some point? How do you go through life that way? But I never witness it.

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When it comes to my appearance, my confidence usually sits bellow the bottom of the sea. I would avoid looking at myself in the mirror because I think it's a repulsive sight to behold.
    But for almost one year now, I have the habbit of looking into mirrors and making funny faces, singing, dancing, and posing a lot. It kind of works as a little confidence boost, especially if the mirror is in a dimly lit room where I can't see my face that clearly

So in this sense, I'm having a moth-flame relationship with mirrors now.
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector