Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
I can't even think about functions 5-8. They seem pretty esoteric and not all that well defined.

How's this for a theory about whom to turn to when trying to strengthen fourth function weaknesses:

A person with an area of primary first function strength will be less adept at teaching this strength since it comes naturally. A person with the area as a second function would be best, since greater practice and development has gone into that area.

What does everybody think?
It depends, the second function is also the function of authority, people act as know-it-alls on their second function, the first function on the other hand is the function of active will: INTJs know they can think and act logically; I know I can usually control my emotions and use them as I want, at close emotional distance anyway.

Of course the theory says that the third and fourth function are best supported through the fifth and sixth, and thus follows the Quadra values and intertype relations, etc. They seem to generally apply, but perhaps not always. As chosen/Monica stated, ethical types tend to be more consciously and condidently aware of what they want and do not want in their love life, and a lot of people just do not agree with socionics. All I can say at this stage is that there are many ESTJs with whom I cannot get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean
It is easy to teach someone how to use logic, it is already defined. But all the other functions are not so easy to define or just no one has tried for a long time like logic.

I can see it now, inductive or deductive relation.
I am afraid it does not quite go like that. For ethical types logic can be almost like emotions for logical types. You know perfectly well what you should do, and theoretically it should be easy, but in practise it still always takes an awful lot of effort and can feel terribly stressful.

Logical types also often seem to confuse logic with intelligence, just try to keep in mind that there is no proven correlation. Some MBTI studies have even found that among the most highly intelligent men ethical types are overrepresented, and among women logical types. I tried to google but could not find the link now. My short definition would be that intelligence is the ability to learn and reason independently. Logic is the ability to consistently think and act logically and the ability to take responsibility and pressure on these functions. This definition should perhaps be fine-tuned in the future, but this should help guide your thinking.

Dualization could theoretically help a great deal in developing the weaker functions, but it is not that easy since the gender roles just are, all feminist rhetoric nonwithstanding, not reversible - and as admin noted, what women say they want, and what they actually respond to, are often totally different. Or just more generally, for a guy to generally appear attractive the functions already need to be pretty well developed.