Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Kerry - ENFp
    Gore - ENTj
    Cool where did you get this info from? Each website types celebrities or political leaders differently.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen Kerry types as ENFp in more than one place, and it makes sense to me. Al Gore seems really ENTj to me: the face shape, the posture...the dress sense...
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bush=

Really, the thought of him being an ESTp makes me *cringe*.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Hmmm...George W. reminds me of my dad a little....ESTp

=/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    Guys, ESTps DON'T force their views on others like Bush is doing. He's doing this whole "no abortion, no stem-cell research, abstinence only, be a christian" thing. Do you guys have any idea how UNCHARACTERISTIC this is of an ESTp? Seriously.
    Exactly, stereotypical "formula".
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Guys, ESTps DON'T force their views on others like Bush is doing. He's doing this whole "no abortion, no stem-cell research, abstinence only, be a christian" thing. Do you guys have any idea how UNCHARACTERISTIC this is of an ESTp? Seriously.

Anyways, where the hell are you guys seeing the in Bush?
    Well, the thing is you can't really see the because its hard enough that he acts fake in public and the fact that it is introverted just makes it impossible to detect.

You have to realize that all of his actions are mainly for the conservative power and the people controlling him, I highly doubt that he gets a lot of free will as president.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm submitting to the agenda of Delta movement and rest my case I'm reasonably happy with ESTx "diagnosis" anyways. For me he is more likely p but his public "image" has many j characteristics I admit. Maybe he will write his memoirs after his presidency and tell us what he REALLY thinks and who he REALLY is.

I have to add that while I'm not exactly pro-Bush I'm definately not anti-Bush
    and I'm not leftist but more centre / moderate right politically. Ugh.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    From where I'm standing, there are more likely types than ESTp. The moral pre-occupation strikes me as ESTj (note how there is an expectation of the world to "play fair" but that doesn't mean the US needs to) or something with .
    The guy is from elitist family, belongs to an elitist secret society and is nowadays a religious fundamentalist (self-proclaimed). On top of this he is the "most powerful man" in the world. If he doesn't seem like the John Doe ESTp you see on the street every day is not really that surprising. I still can't see the case for ISFj or ESTj based on how he was younger. He was always the "black sheep" of the family (self-proclaimed) and was more concerned about having fun than meeting responsibilities (for example meeting his national guard duties).

Before September 11th he was spending his presidency mostly by playing golf. He had no agenda and he was just "letting things roll on their own weight". After September 11th he has been on a manhunt giving ultimatums and fighting never ending wars. I would think an angered ESTp would do like this. ESTj and ISFj are very consistent performers and always have well defined goals and plans. Only goal Bush has is to "end tyranny in the world". I would think ESTj and ISFj characters would take a more humble approach and define realistic goals for which a step-by-step plan can be formulated. He was also known as "the executioner of Texas" or something like that because he always signed the death penalties without giving much thought. That is very ESTp to me. He doesn't want to interfere and take responsibility for things he doesn't feel concern him.

I'm still open to other options but I just can't see a case to back them up He is NOT N. He seems very T and he is hardly an empath. He was popular and outgoing when younger so probably E. He has never had any real plans he is just reacting to situations which makes him very p. So he is ESTp

From ESTp description:
    "Solid ESTps have free and flexible movements. When standing in one place they tend to wriggle rhythmically as if they have a slight electric current running through them."

Just look at him when he gives a speech...the guy just can't keep still.

But throw in more evidence and I might reconsider

Whatever type you just described, it was not ESTp. ESTps are always running around doing something. Beta isn't as "fun" as it might look on the surface - there is always something to be done and we do it (the "never-ending to-do list" infamous amongst our friends and family). If we go out to have fun first, the thought of things left undone nags... and nags... and nags...

(Ok, I don't know any ENFjs so if this doesn't apply to you guys pleaase correct me)

Plus, him being a black sheep would have more to do with how he differs from the rest of his family rather than what type he actually is.

Also, angered ESTps don't go on manhunts. It strikes me as very un-ESTp, actually.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by maizemedley
    Bush can't lie with a straight face. When he lies it's so obvious that it's embarassing, I have to turn away. Nobody buys his bullshit, everyone sees the little man behind the wizard of oz. When an ESTp is in power, people BELIEVE in him....he is the mystical wizard of oz. He can lie casually about anything.[/b]
    I agree that ESTps are very good at lying. They say everything with such certainty even if they're lying or they just don't have a clue what they're talking about. You seriously wouldn't have any idea unless you actually knew the real truth.

Creepy-

As to what Herzy said, ESTps generally seem to not give a damn what other people do, unless it actually affects said ESTp.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Transigent
    You folks realize that 99% of what Bush says and does isn't really "him". He is a political figure. Political figures are actors. Even his "State of the Union" was written by somebody else, with orders by someone other than Bush.
    That's not really true.

Bush is a -figure-. He is not independent of the times; he IS the times. The great spell of uncertainty emerged the night he was elected. He has always used uncertainty to his advantage. He rarely announces his intentions in advance, and when he does, he goes through with him "at the time of his choosing." Compare this to Clinton, or even to his father.

The powers of the presidency weigh heavily on the national superego. In effect, he -is- the superego because he is the law enforcement. This control trickles down subconsciously into the entire nation and all parts of it. Even your own life.

Bush is not the idiot people think he is. What we see is simply the effect of a conservative individual using feeling and intution in the service of extroverted sensing. Herzblut is a liberal; of course she would be embarressed to see her type being shamed by a conservative like Bush.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    As to what Herzy said, ESTps generally seem to not give a damn what other people do, unless it actually affects said ESTp.
    You hit the nail on the head right here. :wink:

Bush is not the idiot people think he is. What we see is simply the effect of a conservative individual using feeling and intution in the service of extroverted sensing. Herzblut is a liberal; of course she would be embarressed to see her type being shamed by a conservative like Bush.
    Bush = .

Why don't you people see this? (Except for Rocky + INFps)
    Darn Rocky! I never knew you had it in you!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excuse me?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Types that no one thinks Bush is:

INFp, INTp, ISTp, ISTj, INTj, INFj, ESFp, ENTp, ENFp

For reference or whatever. Maybe it would be more productive to discuss Bush's type in terms of what types he isn't. It's interesting that all of the extraverted rationals have (somewhere) been mentioned as plausible types.
    Lyricist

"Supposing the entity of the poet to be represented by the number 10, it is certain that a chemist, on analyzing it, would find it to be composed of one part interest and nine parts vanity." (Victor Hugo)

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Excuse me?
    I was saying, "Darn Rocky, I never realized an ISTp could be so reckless!"

Seriously, I don't think W. is the same type as Harry Truman.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, is Bill Clinton really an ENFp?

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    On another note, is Bill Clinton really an ENFp?
    Nope, but he'll never let you know it! Hell, he'll never let you know... well, I don't think he likes einsteins that much....

Creepy-

For all you people arguing he is ESTp.... you aren't describing ESTps! One person I noticed went through it letter by letter (I hope they realise that the J/P is not a dichotomy).

You might not be describing ESTjs either, but you haven't made any convincing argument either way.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    Types that no one thinks Bush is:
    INFp, INTp, ISTp, ISTj, INTj, INFj, ESFp, ENTp, ENFp
    I for one still believes he has an ISTj preference.

Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    Bush in punctual and expects others to be also. He likes to maintain schedules that he sets and his life falls into routine patterns
    As tcaudilllg pointed out, GWB's personality is so well balanced and developed that all functions are easily accessible. As a TiSe he could thus easily pass for a SeTi or even as having an F in there.

However, nobody seems to considers GWB an intuitive. That may be a clue the N is the least developed function.

All in all I would vote for ISTj

Greetings, ragnar

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar
    As tcaudilllg pointed out, GWB's personality is so well balanced and developed that all functions are easily accessible. As a TiSe he could thus easily pass for a SeTi or even as having an F in there.
    Interesting, this statement sparks to mind that members of the government and the hidden society have well balanced and developed functions due to their extensive knowledge and training. This is very secret and well hidden, of course this is just imaginary knowledge of mine.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar
    Interesting, this statement sparks to mind that members of the government and the hidden society have well balanced and developed functions. This is mainly due to their extensive knowledge and training given to special members of society. This is very secret and well hidden, of course this is just imaginary knowledge of mine.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bush is ESTp. Here's the proof:

http://www.informationclearinghouse....hTenYrs4MB.mov

Herzy, hate to burst your bubble, but you can't idealize your type. You can't just say "ESTps don't force their views on others!" Why? Because some of them do. Not everyone can be open minded, and as many ESTps cross the line as ENTps or INTjs.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not really proof.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're idealizing your type by claiming that ESTps as a WHOLE don't force their views on others.

One of my friends here at school lives with an ESTp who is CONSTANTLY trying to convince me that Russian communism "is the way." Any time he sees me, he can't help but bring up Lenin this and Marx that, blah blah blah. When I tell him my views, he just says I'm ignorant. And yes, I'm quite confident he's ESTp: I've observed his behavior, and I've watched him take the test, and seen the results. ESTp, logical subtype.

My point was that any type can be closed minded, even those who we normally perceive, as a whole, to be otherwise.

It shows that Bush was once just as quick witted and well-spoken as any ESTp; he wasn't always the blathering idiot that is currently in office.

Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Quote Originally Posted by Kraus
    Bush is ESTp. Here's the proof:

http://www.informationclearinghouse....hTenYrs4MB.mov

Herzy, hate to burst your bubble, but you can't idealize your type. You can't just say "ESTps don't force their views on others!" Why? Because some of them do. Not everyone can be open minded, and as many ESTps cross the line as ENTps or INTjs.
    A) I'm not idealizing anything.
    B) Give me an example of one that does. No Bush.
    C) Elaborate on your last statement?
    D) Your video doesn't prove anything.

Listen to Rocky. Bush = . What you guys don't get about that is beyond me.

my dad used to always try to force his ideas on me until i went through about 3 years of rebellion and now he doesn't because i won.

<3 dad

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're idealizing your type by claiming that ESTps as a WHOLE don't force their views on others.

One of my friends here at school lives with an ESTp who is CONSTANTLY trying to convince me that Russian communism "is the way." Any time he sees me, he can't help but bring up Lenin this and Marx that, blah blah blah. When I tell him my views, he just says I'm ignorant. And yes, I'm quite confident he's ESTp: I've observed his behavior, and I've watched him take the test, and seen the results. ESTp, logical subtype.

My point was that any type can be closed minded, even those who we normally perceive, as a whole, to be otherwise.

It shows that Bush was once just as quick witted and well-spoken as any ESTp; he wasn't always the blathering idiot that is currently in office.
    His dad had that problem, too. It's probably the pressure of the presidency--and his partisanship--that causes him to slur in public. Another thing, he rarely says "uh."

If you look back at Clinton's dialogues, you'll find that everything he said that wasn't written out for him before hand (media questions, for example) was started with either a momentary pause, or "uh". Bush just says things off the top of his head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not exactly solid proof but a good piece of data. I still think Bush is most probably ESTp based on what I have read about his younger years and these kinds of videos help me reinforce that opinion. People here have made me have doubts though. I almost bought the ESTj or ESTx "diagnosis". Anyways I'm glad there are people here who still defend the ESTp view

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default George W. Bush

“What about George W. Bush? What was his childhood like (because of course he

started these two terrifically destructive and ugly wars in Iraq and Afghanistan)?" -- Molyneux

“I remember when he was first elected—no, it was when he was re-elected? I’m not

sure which one. I went downtown and there were a million of us on the street in New York City,

complaining that George Bush was going (to try) to be President. And I came home and I watched CNN,

and here was George Bush talking to the guy, and they asked him, ‘What makes you such a tough guy,

so militarily strong?’ and so on . . . He turned around and he pointed to the audience and he said, ‘See

that white-haired lady over there? She used to beat me up all the time. She was the Decider. Now I’m

the Decider . . .’” -- deMause

“So brutal ambition is driven by the early humiliation and dominance from the

Mom.” -- Molyneux

“Right, right. And when he went to war in Iraq, what are the exact words he said—for

the reason he did it? ‘God told me to do it.’ Well, we know, God wears a dress, doesn’t he?” -- deMause

- from Bush On The Couch: Inside the Mind of the President by Justin A. Frank, M.D.; pp. 2-17: The story

of George W. Bush’s early years, up through his first vivid memories, contain the roots of several

fundamental elements of what we have come to know as his character. As we’ll see, while the family’s

response to his young sister Robin’s illness and death certainly revealed underlying tensions and made

some matters worse, Bush’s family history—emotional even more than factual—was deeply seated in

his heart and mind, even before his little sister was born.

By now, the basic outline of George W.’s early years is familiar to us from several published

biographies. The first child of a well-connected war hero and his young social-register bride, George W.

was born in July 1946 while his father was still at Yale, where his demanding social, athletic, and

academic schedules must have left little time for assisting his wife in the parenting duties. The day after

he graduated in 1948, the elder Bush set out to pursue his fortunes in the West Texas oil boom, landing

in Odessa, the working-class sister town to Midland. The family’s two-room apartment was a long way

from Barbara’s privileged suburban New York upbringing—“as different from Rye, New York as any place

imaginable,” according to her memoir, in which she describes a family of prostitutes with whom their

apartment shared a bathroom. Isolated from her family, Mrs. Bush was again left to fend for herself

during the seven-day work weeks and frequent travels her husband’s new business venture required.

Within a year, they moved to the first of a series of four California residences where they lived during

Mrs. Bush’s pregnancy with their daughter, Robin, who was born in December 1949. The child was

named after Mrs. Bush’s mother, Pauline Robinson Pierce, who had been killed in an automobile

accident that fall; though she had traveled east for a family wedding just a few weeks earlier, Mrs. Bush

did not attend her mother’s funeral.

The next year, the young family returned to Texas, this time to Midland, where they were living

when their second son, Jeb, was born in early 1953. Mrs. Bush handled much of the parenting on her

own as her husband traveled. “I had moments where I was jealous of attractive young women out in a

man’s world,” she explained in Pamela Kilian’s biography, Matriarch of a Dynasty. “I would think, well,

George is off on a trip doing all these exciting things and I’m sitting home with these absolutely brilliant

children who say one thing a week of interest.”

George W. was six years old at the beginning of the tragic episode that he has said yielded his

first vivid childhood memories—the illness and death of his sister. In the spring of 1953, young Robin

was diagnosed with leukemia, which set into motion a series of extended East Coast trips by parents and

child in the ultimately fruitless pursuit of treatment. Critically, however, young George W. was never

informed of the reason for the sudden absences; unaware that his sister was ill, he was simply told not

to play with the girl, to whom he had grown quite close, on her occasional visits home. Robin died in

New York in October 1953; her parents spent the next day golfing in Rye, attending a small memorial

service the following day before flying back to Texas. George learned of his sister’s illness only after her

death, when his parents returned to Texas, where the family remained while the child’s body was buried

in a Connecticut family plot. There was no funeral.

No parent is ever prepared for the devastation of losing a child, and Mrs. Bush would later

express doubts over how she handled the matter with her son, who was certainly old enough to be

affected by the loss of the sister. When families have come to me seeking therapy in the wake of such

an overwhelming event, I listen to both parents and children for insight into the family’s response to the

loss. I also look for any evidence of preexisting developmental trends that had already begun to take

shape in the child’s infancy. The surviving child’s psychological development is well underway before

tragedy strikes, and the trauma often only compounds whatever problems were already there.

As a therapist working in the tradition of Melanie Klein, who traced the formation of personality

from birth, I am particularly interested in the relationship between mother and infant, which has an

enormous and lasting influence on how the child grows up to see the world. Given a mother’s selective

memory and a child’s cognitive limitations, we can never know exactly what transpired between a

mother and her baby. Nevertheless, we can explore the mother’s history and behavior for clues to the

exact nature of the initial mother/child dynamic to deduce the formative impact it had on the child’s

development. In the case of Barbara Bush, who has written revealingly about her experiences as both a

mother and a child, one needn’t look far.

Referred to by her children as “The Enforcer,” Barbara Bush has by her own admission always

been the family disciplinarian. She was, from most accounts, a cold taskmaster, and she spanked the

children readily. Called “the one who instills fear” by a close family friend, she would boldly break up

fights between her sons, “bust them up and slap them around,” according to a brother-in-law. Decades

later, she still embraces her role as an arbiter of punishment, as when she describes her son’s famous

near-fatal pretzel-choking incident as a “heaven-sent message that he should stop knocking his mother’s

cooking.” Like her own mother, Mrs. Bush did not leave much of a cooking legacy for her children to

knock. “My mother never cooked,” Ron Suskind reports President Bush telling Nancy O’Neill in The Price

of Loyalty, “The woman had frostbite on her fingers. Everything right out of the freezer.” And she

remains quite vocally willing to step into certain frays, telling Larry King’s viewers that “you can criticize

me, but don’t criticize my children and don’t criticize my daughters-in-law and don’t criticize my

husband, or you’re dead.”

Beyond her reputation for strength, if not hostility, Mrs. Bush has shed little direct light on her

approach to mothering her first baby. Her memoir is noticeably silent on the topic, focusing instead on

the many times she had to move during W.’s early years, and the frequency of his father’s absences. Her

most candid discussions of motherhood involve her own mother, in which she provides telling glimpses

of her relationship with the woman from whom she was most likely to learn about being a mother.

What she reveals are two deep strains running through her mother’s family into her own: a continuous

undervaluing of the self and a need for detached discipline. And throughout, she is the mother who

leaves feelings behind, whose attitude ends discussion or curtails emotional engagement. On the

morning after her husband lost his reelection effort to Bill Clinton, according to her son George’s

memoir, Barbara Bush uttered a single telling statement: “Well, now, that’s behind us. It’s time to move

on.” Here is a woman bent on protecting herself and her family from feelings of pain or anger.

Barbara became a stern enforcer naturally. As a child, she “would determine who [among her

circle of friends] was speaking to whom when we got on the bus together,” explained June Beidler, a

member of the young Barbara’s circle, to Bush biographer Pamela Kilian. “She was sort of the leader

bully. We were all pretty afraid of her because she could be sarcastic and mean. She was clever, never at

a loss for what to say—or what not to say.” At home, Barbara’s mother, Pauline Robinson Pierce, “did

most of the scolding” and frequently spanked Barbara and her siblings with a hairbrush or wooden

clothes hanger. Her mother’s authoritarian ways evidently made a lasting impression on young Barbara:

The first two memories Bush shares of her mother in her memoir involve a “humiliating incident” in

which the mother confronted a ten-year-old Barbara for overeating in public, and an “outrageous”

request, made when the Bushes visited a decade later, that Barbara’s new husband not use the toilet at

night (which Mrs. Pierce claimed disturbed her sleep). She clearly remembers that her mother’s

spankings were harder than the ones she administered to her own children, but struggles to justify her

behavior nonetheless, claiming with certainty that she was naughtier than her own children, and that

her spankings were deserved—while acknowledging that she can’t remember anything she did to

deserve them . . . .

Equally vivid in Mrs. Bush’s memoir is the impression that her “striking beauty” of a mother paid

little attention to aspects of maternal life associated with traditional nurturing. Mrs. Bush may recall

Mrs. Pierce publicly chastising her at the table for overeating, but she doesn’t “remember that mother

cooked.” Mrs. Bush’s regret that her mother never taught her “things like how to cook, clean and wash

clothes” is evident, as is the sense of remorse that her mother assumed her daughter “should be able to

pick [them] up reading.” Pauline Pierce’s inability to provide maternal nurturing led young Barbara to

gravitate to a neighborhood family, a common childhood attraction Freud described as the “family

romance.” Freud observed that some unhappy children imagine they belong to a different family; for

Barbara it was the Southern, openly warm and affectionate Schoolfield family, whose matriarch was

“like a second mother” to Barbara.

What is noticeable in the jibes about overeating, and the assumed reason for punishment, is

that Barbara Bush quite clearly learned from her mother how to put herself down. Self-esteem problems

were rampant for the little girl, who describes herself as “the biggest pain in the world.” . . . .

. . . . young Barbara was left to make excuses for a mother who was chronically depressed, too

preoccupied by her own pain to engage her daughter with maternal nurturing or teach the child its basic

elements.

When a young girl is not adequately nurtured physically or emotionally by her mother, she often grows

up to pass this deficiency on to her children. The impact this deficiency would have on a child has been

illuminated by the work of Melanie Klein. According to Klein’s theories, our psychological life begins at

birth, characterized by a primitive ability to differentiate between the nurturing environment of the

womb and the chaotic, terrifying terrain into which we are born. Our internal world is shaped by our

struggle to manage the overwhelming anxieties of infancy; these anxieties, along with our initial coping

strategies, can be reactivated throughout adulthood, thus influencing our emotional health and

development for the rest of our lives.

Klein traces these anxieties to our attempts to understand the sudden wreckage of our idyllic

prenatal world. With no one to blame but ourselves, we conclude that we must possess the powers to

wreak such devastation; our sense of loss is tainted by responsibility and guilt, our anxieties fueled by

the rudimentary awareness of the destructive powers we assume are our own. The awareness of our

destructive capacities likewise remains in play over the course of our emotional development, as we

attempt to manage anxiety that arises from our knowing we possess the power to destroy again.

As we progress through infancy, a myriad of challenging experiences—hunger, colic,

discomfort—fuels our fear of destruction. This is complicated by a natural desire to return to the

plentiful, mindless paradise we experienced in the womb—Freud’s so-called “death instinct,” which

counters our equally natural instinct to survive. The first method to cope with the death instinct is to

protect the self by converting that instinct into aggression. By this point, however, we are also enjoying

positive experiences that we must distinguish from the negative. From this need we develop the first

mental attitude for dealing with the fear of destruction: We split our world into the good and the bad,

separating experiences into the safe and the dangerous. Further, to defend ourselves against fear and

insulate ourselves from the destructive forces within, we split our sense of self along the same lines;

projecting the negative outward onto the environment, we ally ourselves with the good self while we try

to deny and get rid of the aspects of the self we experience as threatening and undesirable. This

unconscious mental process, called “projection,” leaves us without any feelings of actually being

destructive.

This is where the mother/child dynamic begins to make itself felt—and where the kind of

maternal reserve shown by a Barbara Bush can have a devastating impact. The first focus of the infant’s

consciousness is his mother, whom he experiences as a loving extension of himself when he is

contentedly being fed by her. The baby’s positive experiences at the breast of an attentive, nourishing

mother—for whom we use the breast as a metaphor, whether the baby is actually fed by breast or

bottle—forms the core of self-esteem, of identification with a beneficial source of nourishment and

love.

If the baby is deprived or uncomfortable, he might spit up or act frustrated during the feeding,

subjectively visualizing the breast as the source of its discomfort. The infant, however, is not yet mature

enough to perceive its frustration and satisfaction as coming from the same breast. Thus, there are two

early relationships the baby has—one with the good breast/good mother, the other with the bad

breast/bad mother. The mother’s state of mind during nursing—whether she is paying attention to the

baby or letting her mind wander elsewhere—can cause dramatic differences in the baby’s experience, as

every mother can attest. Mothers know that their babies can tell when they are and are not emotionally

in touch with their baby. When the mother is preoccupied with something else, the baby has difficulty

taking in nourishment and experiencing the positive relationship that can help him manage his

frustrations. The baby experiences his mother at these moments as a source of anxiety: She becomes

the mother of frustration. This is of vital importance, because the mother/baby relationship eventually

becomes the inner model of the world that affects all of the child’s future relationships.

At this stage of development, the baby needs to identify with the ideal mother, to see himself as

sharing her essential goodness, as he projects onto the bad mother the negative attributes that his split

ego is still too fragile to internalize. But as he grows and develops new capacities, he must move beyond

this oversimplified way of ordering the universe—of splitting and projecting—or else run the risk of

distorting his perceptions of it. This next stage of development depends on the relationship with the

mother, who helps the baby transform his despair and anxiety into something more manageable.

Through an ineffable process of unconscious interaction with her baby, the mother senses what the

baby is experiencing and reacts accordingly—using facial and verbal responses as well as active care

giving. If the baby cries, for example, the mother takes in and processes the baby’s experience and then

makes enough sense of it to take appropriate action, such as feeding, changing, or soothing. Sensing the

truth of the baby’s feelings of discomfort, the mother returns them to the child in a tolerable form. This

helps the baby develop his own sense of his emotions to feel connected to (and contained by) his

mother; over time, he internalizes the maternal function and can transform the bad feelings

independently.

At some point, the infant recognizes that his good and bad mothers are one person, able both to

comfort and protect him and to anger and disappoint him. The baby comes to understand that he can

love and hate the same person; it is from this coexistence of love and hate that the vital notion of

ambivalence is introduced. He is also able to internalize the destructiveness he had previously projected,

resulting in despair over the knowledge that his rage could hurt the very person he loves.

Because the mother has helped the baby develop the ability to regulate his emotions, his

feelings are rendered less threatening. The baby is able to cope with his contradictory feelings . . . He

creates an internal mental representation of himself and others that helps him understand and respond

to the mental states of the people in his life. The better nurtured a child is, the more closely his

perceptions will reflect material reality. His overall psychic reality strengthened, he is able to avoid being

overwhelmed by anxiety when something goes wrong and to feel challenging emotions such as guilt and

concern when appropriate.

When the mother is unable to feel her child’s discomfort or recognize his needs—due to her

own depression, distraction, or emotional distance, or simply because the baby himself is too fussy or

hyperactive for the mother to make sense of his needs—this vital exchange between mother and infant

does not take place. The effect on the child’s psychological development is profound. His fear persists,

and the split between good and bad remains unhealed. Dependent on his original crude tools to manage

his anxiety, the emotionally uncontained baby continues to project his negative feelings on his

surroundings, desperate to rid himself of his bad feelings without learning to manage them as his own.

Relying on such unevolved mechanisms to protect his idealized image of himself and his inner world, he

is unable to integrate his conflicting emotions. His world remains simplified, peopled with unreal figures,

uncomplicated by ambiguity.

The cries unheard by an ineffective mother can reverberate through the lifetime of the child. As

Melanie Klein has said, throughout life we return to varying degrees to variations upon our infantile

mental positions, traces of which remain in all of our interactions. The child who fails to progress

significantly beyond his split world view into the process of integration will, in adulthood, fall back on

primitive mental mechanisms, with devastating results. The infant’s unintegrated split between good

and bad will reappear in similarly divided adult perspectives, such as a reliance on black-and-white

thinking, a tendency to view other people as either allies or enemies, or the cultivation of a fantasy

world dominated by the struggle between good and evil. All children go through this process; for George

W. it was probably expressed in games of cowboys and Indians.

The oversimplified fantasy world of such an individual can be filled only with equally

oversimplified and fragmented figures that mirror his own state of mind. The people he seeks to attack

and destroy are experienced as evil and one-dimensional, rather than integrated in his mind as whole

people. Because he experiences them this way, he feels free to harm them without pity or loss. He may

not even recognize his role in the attack; rather, he feels constantly under attack himself, a feeling that

further helps him evade responsibility. And with nothing to threaten his idealized self-image, he has no

cause to feel vulnerable or to acknowledge the possibility that he can be wrong. These are clues to

arrested psychological development that I look for in patients I treat both as children and adults. I see

them all too clearly in the actions and attitudes of George W. Bush.

It’s not hard to see how Mrs. Bush, through no fault of her own, would be unprepared as an

undernurtured young mother to provide vital early nurturing to her own newborn child. Her memoir

offers a subtle but unmistakable portrait of a self-blaming daughter who consistently doubted herself

and her lovability, and who evolved into a stern and distant mother. She split her worldview into good

and bad—all the good lived outside of her, while the bad remained locked within. As a memoirist, Mrs.

Bush makes light of her reliance on the word “wonderful” to describe the people she met in adulthood,

but the joke points out her reflexive need to see every person she writes about as uniquely positive. At

first glance, it may seem that she is just putting on a public face for her readership, yet this habit

suggests not just false humility but genuine insecurity and recrimination. The more she lionizes others,

the worse she feels about herself.

Being turned so profoundly inward herself, Mrs. Bush would have had trouble soothing her

infant son; in turn that would have hampered her son’s ability to heal his original psychic split and

manage his anxieties. These anxieties would be magnified rather than modified, forcing him to resort to

his own means to modify them. An anxious baby has limited resources to dissipate his discomfort: He

can kick and scream—physical means to discharge anxiety or tension—but he may soon learn that such

behavior doesn’t always invite further nurturing. Fixed in the internal world of his infancy, he must

continue to project his unintegrated destructive impulses, resulting in the primitive worldview that

divides people and experiences into good and bad, ideal and persecutory.

George W. Bush’s public, adult behavior bears distinct hallmarks of this lack of integration,

coupled with an inability to perceive the complex nuances of reality. One result is the black-and-white

posturing that is so prevalent in his rhetoric—the worldview of a man who declares, “There are no

shades of gray in this fight for civilization. . . . Either you’re with the United States of America, or you’re

against the United States of America.” Bush’s decisions and actions are clearly informed by a need to

order his world into good and bad. He shows a rigid inability to consider the idea that anything in his

own behavior might qualify as destructive; instead he projects such impulses onto his many perceived

persecutors, to maintain his sense of self. He denies his fallibility, vulnerability, and responsibility

because on a fundamental unconscious level he feels he must do so to survive.

But this primitive mechanism, as in infancy, is doomed to fail. Ultimately, the only way for an

individual burdened by such a perspective to be safe—to protect against the delusion of external

persecution—is to annihilate the persecutors. But this process, set in motion to quash anxiety and guilt,

also compromises his perceptive abilities and nullifies his intellectual understanding of the problem at

hand.

There is every reason, then, to consider George W. Bush’s drive to rid the world of dangerous

people as not simply the policy judgment of a president—but as the drive of an undernurtured and

emotionally hobbled infant, terrified of confronting the dangers within his own psyche.

Throughout this book, I’ll discuss how this basic dynamic resonates through so many of the choices Bush

has made in adulthood and continues to make as president. While he was still a child, however, Bush

experienced a watershed event that further shaped his worldview. The death of a young sibling is

inevitably a defining moment in the life of a child. In the case of young George W., the tragic blow to the

family was perhaps matched in its impact on the boy’s development by the family’s response to it, which

was fuel to the psychological fire that raged unnoticed in the child’s underdeveloped psyche.

It has been said that the nursery rhyme “Humpty Dumpty” was written with the first-born child

in mind. It seems to capture perfectly the irrevocable trauma felt when the second child is born: Nothing

can put the first-born back together again. But first-born offspring find different ways to manage this

insult. Some can be overly nice to mask their fury; others can be suspicious of being taken advantage of;

still others are overcome with the fear of losing what they have. But if that next sibling dies, then an

entirely new and complex dynamic is set in motion. The first-born often has to disown his destructive

fantasies, splitting them off from his consciousness. He then projects them outward with even greater

vigor, exacerbating his simplified internal world.

A child who is already relying too heavily on a split worldview developed in infancy is thus

especially vulnerable to the lasting impact of a sibling’s death. As the Bushes’ first-born child, young

George would inevitably have harbored resentment toward Robin for taking his mother away from him;

when the child’s illness led to absences that took his mother further away, the resentment would have

grown stronger—and stronger still in the face of his mother’s grief after Robin’s death. If George’s

feelings were never addressed, his natural animosity toward his sister would have remained unresolved;

he would have been left with a host of forbidden feelings that were too threatening to acknowledge,

only furthering the process of splitting and projecting unwanted aspects of the self.

Such experiences, of course, can be an opportunity for healing; sorrow has been called the

vitamin for growth, and there is certainly ample reason to feel sorrow when a child suffers a terminal

illness. In Bush’s household, however, sorrow was evidently suppressed. The elder Bushes’ silence on

the topic around young George deprived him of the ability to prepare for the child’s death, to say

goodbye, to deal with the unavoidable sadness of such a loss. The sorrow that could have challenged

George’s split worldview, by forcing him to integrate the negative feelings and to view his world in less

simplistic terms, was denied.

And the historical record confirms that within the restrained environment of the Bush family

young George was wrestling with powerful and troubling feelings. Biographer Bill Minutaglio recounts

the story of George W.’s first sleepover after the family’s loss, “not long after Robin’s death,” when the

“usually insouciant” boy went to the home of a friend to spend the night. “Throughout the night,”

Minutaglio writes, George “was engulfed in constant nightmares,” until his mother arrived to comfort

him. George’s young host, Randall Roden, “was watching, unsure what was happening to his friend.

Finally, Barbara pulled him aside and quietly explained about Robin’s death. ‘It was a profound and

formative experience,’ Roden believes.”

Without an instructive example of how to experience grief, George W. was deprived of the

opportunity to learn to mourn, which a child typically learns by watching his parents go through the

process. An exercise in holding and integrating the contradictory emotions of love and sadness,

mourning is necessary for psychological growth. The capacity to feel sorrow is a prerequisite for the

ability to be compassionate, to feel concern for others; managing loss is essential to both personal

growth and the development of empathy for others. A child burdened with a primitive worldview, in

which others are easily dehumanized either as threats or intruders, or as idealized exemplars of perfect

goodness, could obviously benefit from such an opportunity; a child who is instead given the message

that one shouldn’t feel sorrow is instead implicitly encouraged to hold onto his way of seeing the world.

Compassion not only goes untaught, it is discredited, rendered irrelevant. When the population of his

world is further dehumanized in this way, the child has a difficult time humanizing others when he

reaches adulthood.

The best way to address such a loss is to talk, to interact, to see the parents mourn, to share the

loss, to help the child talk about his conflicting feelings—his anger as well as his relief. The apparent

silence on the topic within the Bush family half a century ago set a dangerous precedent for the

impressionable young George. Viewed through the dehumanizing perspective of childhood, the example

of his parents laid the foundation for the development of a powerful, lifelong coping mechanism,

grounded in a self-protective indifference to the pain of others.

How ironic, then, that this child should grow up to occupy the presidency at his nation’s greatest

moment of grief—the period of deep shock that followed September 11, 2001. In his post-9/11 edition

of The Bush Dyslexicon, Mark Crispin Miller writes perceptively of Bush’s “apparent incapacity for any

show of sorrow, at least in public. Without a script, he seemed unable to assimilate the tragic aspect of

the crisis, or even face it, but would just look right on past it to the happy, happy day of our eventual

revenge.” Even when Bush did pay lip service to America’s grief, it was almost always supplanted

immediately by expressions of anger. “If this were a psychobiography,” Miller writes, “we might look

deeply into Bush’s tendency to jump away from grief and straight to rage.”

And, as Miller points out, within months Bush was joking about the events of 9/11, and

declaring that “all in all, it’s been a fabulous year for Laura and me.” Whatever grief there may have

been appeared to have been washed from his system.

- from A TRAGIC LEGACY: HOW A GOOD VS. EVIL MENTALITY DESTROYED

THE BUSH PRESIDENCY by Glenn Greenwald; p. ix:

I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

--ABRAHAM LINCOLN

- pp. 39-51:

You know, you’ve heard me talk about this probably, but I really, truly view this as a conflict

between good and evil. And there really isn’t much middle ground—like none. The people we

fight are evil people. . . .

Either you’re with us or you’re against us. Either you’re on the side of freedom and

justice or you aren’t.

--GEORGE W. BUSH, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, January 30, 2002

One of the aspects of the Bush presidency that has often confounded supporters and opponents

alike is that George Bush’s political beliefs do not fit comfortably, or even at all, within any of

the familiar, commonly assigned ideological categories. Certainly Bush is typically referred to as

a conservative . . . the conservative political movement claimed him as its own and was largely

responsible for both his 2000 and 2004 election victories.

Political conservatism in the United States, however, has two meanings. In one sense, it

is an abstract theory of government that—in its pure, academic form—advocates various

political principles. In this academic formulation, conservatism is defined by a belief in (a)

restrained federal government power, (b) minimal federal taxes and responsible and limited

spending, (c) a generalized distrust of the federal government and its attempts to intervene into

the private lives of citizens, (d) reliance on the private sector rather than the federal government

to achieve “Good” ends, (e) a preference for state and local autonomy over federalized and

centralized control, (f) trusting in individuals rather than government officials to make decisions,

and (g) an overarching belief in the supremacy of the rule of law.

But the term conservatism also refers to a group of political figures and their supporters

who call themselves conservatives. In this version, conservatism is defined by the actions taken

and the policies implemented in reality by conservatives when they are in power rather than by

what think tanks and theorists set forth as conservative principles.

This dichotomy is not unique to conservatism. All political theories can be understood as

a set of principles, or, independently, as the collection of policies and methods of governance

that its adherents, in practice, undertake when in power. Communism, for instance, exists as a

sterile, academic theory in the works of Karl Marx and the speeches of Mao Tse-tung and Fidel

Castro. At that theoretical level, communism constitutes harmonious egalitarianism in which all

are liberated from capitalistic enslavement and material wants, and thus are freed to pursue more

elevated levels of creativity and personal fulfillment.

But when its adherents—“Communists”—have obtained power, they have not behaved in

conformity with these pretty utopian principles. They have almost uniformly imposed tyranny

and wrought profound misery. The term communism, then, is not understood exclusively—or

even primarily—by reference to the abstract principles defining it in books and in speeches.

Rather, it is best and most commonly understood to describe the actions of Communists when in

power.

Like communism, the theory of American political “conservatism” in the pure, abstract

Hayek-Goldwater sense has rarely, if ever, converged with the actions and policies of

self-described conservatives when in power. And, like communism, perhaps the very nature of

theoretical conservatism means that it never can.

Arguably, the imperatives of human nature and the instincts of government leaders—to

attempt to enhance rather than restrict their own power—constitute an insurmountable barrier to

the implementation of “pure” conservatism, an idealistic vision where elected government

officials proceed to limit or even dismantle the mechanisms of their own power. Additionally,

elected officials in the American political system must often support government programs

benefiting a political movement’s constituents as a condition of retaining their power, thereby

rendering the reduction, let alone the abolition, of excessive government spending virtually

impossible.

Whether political conservatism in the United States has ever really existed can be and

continues to be endlessly debated. The allegedly purest form of it, as embodied by Ronald

Reagan, oversaw an expansion of the power of the federal government in countless ways. That

expansion of power was accompanied by wild deficit spending. The Reagan administration

ushered in a significant increase in domestic discretionary spending (though far less than that

which has occurred under the Bush administration). And multiple Reagan officials were

indicted, and some convicted, as a result of a scandal that grew out of the administration’s

violations of legal prohibitions on providing aid to the Nicaraguan contras. To be sure, Reagan

paid rhetorical homage to conservative theories, but his actual governance deviated in multiple

ways from those principles.

Regardless of one’s views of that debate, it is beyond reasonable dispute that President

Bush’s actions and policies deviate fundamentally, and in almost every area, from the theoretical

precepts of political conservatism. Whatever one might call the set of guiding principles

animating President Bush, political conservatism—at least as it exists in its storied, theoretical

form—is not it.

Since President Bush was inaugurated, discretionary spending has skyrocketed, both in

absolute terms and when compared to the budget-balancing Clinton administration. In 2003, the

right-leaning Cato Institute published a detailed assessment of federal government spending over

the preceding thirty years—entitled “ ‘Conservative’ Bush Spends More Than ‘Liberal’

Presidents Clinton, Carter.” It concluded:

But the real truth is that national defense is far from being responsible for all of the spending

increases. According to the new numbers, defense spending will have risen by about 34 percent

since Bush came into office. But, at the same time, non-defense discretionary spending will have

sky-rocketed by almost 28 percent. Government agencies that Republicans were calling to be

abolished less than 10 years ago, such as education and labor, have enjoyed jaw-dropping

spending increases under Bush of 70 percent and 65 percent respectively. . . .

After all, in inflation-adjusted terms, Clinton had overseen a total spending increase of

only 3.5 percent at the same point in his administration. More importantly, after his first three

years in office, non-defense discretionary spending actually went down by 0.7 percent. This is

contrasted by Bush’s three-year total spending increase of 15.6 percent and a 20.8 percent

explosion in non-defense discretionary spending.

Those profligate spending patterns only worsened as the Bush presidency proceeded. In

2005, the right-wing American Enterprise Institute (AEI) published a study by its own Veronique

de Rugy and Reason magazine’s Nick Gillespie. The report was entitled “Bush the Budget

Basher” and concluded: “After five years of Republican reign, it’s time for small-government

conservatives to acknowledge that the GOP has forfeited its credibility when it comes to

spending restraint.”

President Bush has not only violated every claimed tenet of conservatism when it comes to

restraints on federal spending, but he ranks among the most fiscally reckless presidents in

modern times—so insists the pro-Bush AEI:

“After 11 years of Republican majority we’ve pared [the budget] down pretty good,” Rep.

Tom DeLay (R-Texas) crowed a few weeks back during ongoing budget deliberations. But

nothing could be farther from the truth, at least since the GOP gained the White House in

During his five years at the helm of the nation’s budget, the president has expanded a

wide array of “compassionate” welfare-state, defense, and nondefense programs. When it

comes to spending, Bush is no Reagan. Also, he is also no Clinton and not even Nixon. The

recent president he most resembles is in fact fellow Texan and legendary spendthrift Lyndon

Baines Johnson—except that Bush is in many ways even more profligate with the public till.

These massive spending increases are entirely independent of any 9/11-related or defense-based

expenditures: “When homeland security spending is separated out, the increase in discretionary

spending is still huge: 36 percent on Bush’s watch,” according to the AEI. During the Bush

presidency, total real discretionary outlays increased by 35.8 percent. By comparison, the same

figure increased by only 11.2 percent during the deficit-plagued Reagan administration, and

during the budget-balancing Clinton administration, it decreased by 8.2 percent. All of this led

the AEI report to conclude: “It seems incontestable that we should conclude that the country’s

purse is worse off when Republicans are in power.”

The Bush administration has also repeatedly asserted the prerogatives of federal power in

areas traditionally reserved to the states. It has, for instance, sought to eliminate the rights of the

states to enact laws governing marriage, assisted suicide . . . In each of those areas, various states

have enacted laws—in some instances by referenda—that President Bush disliked. As a result,

the Bush administration fought to override the judgment of the states by federalizing those issues

and imposing the policy preferences of the president as a uniform, compulsory standard, which

no state was to be free to reject. Hence: No gay marriage. No physician-assisted suicide . . .

The Bush administration’s disdain for the ostensibly conservative belief in limited federal

power and the sanctity of states’ rights became most apparent in the case of Terri Schiavo. A

lifelong Republican and Southern Baptist state court judge had been presiding over the Schiavo

matter for several years, faithfully applying clear Florida state law to resolve the battle between

Schiavo’s husband and her parents as to what end-of-life decisions would be made about

Schiavo. Florida appellate courts upheld virtually all of that judge’s substantive rulings.

But the outcome of those state judicial proceedings deviated from the president’s moral

preferences and those of his “conservative” Congressional allies. As a result, in an atmosphere of

intense drama, Congress enacted and the president signed “emergency” legislation vesting

authority in the federal courts to override the judgment of the Florida courts. Wielding the tools

of federal power, they sought to take it upon themselves to resolve the end-of-life issues faced by

Terri Schiavo’s family, issues that were controlled by clear Florida law.

The list of the Bush administration’s systematic deviations from fundamentally

“conservative principles” (as they exist in theory) is too lengthy to chronicle here. Suffice it to

say, while the Bush presidency is consistent with the actual decisions and policies of previous

“conservative” politicians, a belief in conservative theories of government is plainly not what has

guided the president or his administration.

MORALISM TRUMPS CONSERVATISM

That political conservatism (in its theoretical sense) has not been the North Star of the Bush

presidency defies reasonable dispute. That reality leads to the question, What does drive the

president? When aggregated, the Bush administration’s actions, policies, and political arguments

can appear jumbled and incoherent, bereft of a philosophical center. But the opposite is true. At

the heart of the Bush presidency exists a coherent worldview, one the president has applied with

exceptional consistency and unyielding conviction.

Many Bush critics, and even some of his supporters, have long depicted the president as a

weak and malleable individual—more of an aimless figurehead than a resolute leader—whose

actions are the by-product not of personal agency but manipulation and control by advisers

shrewder and more willful than he. But that portrayal is pure mythology, for which there is

virtually no support.

It is certainly true that throughout his presidency, Bush has relied heavily on advisers

who focus on details, has delegated even significant tasks to aides, and has trusted those around

him to inform him of critical matters and to educate him on issues about which he knew little. In

those regards, his reliance on his advisers and top aides is substantial. But when the president, in

a mid-2006 press conference, anointed himself as “the Decider,” it struck many as arrogant, but

few as inaccurate: George Bush’s strong personality traits and deeply held personal beliefs have,

more than anything else, defined and propelled the Bush presidency.

In his book The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush, Bush

speechwriter David Frum recounted several incidents early on in the Bush presidency, even prior

to the 9/11 attacks, in which an engaged, aggressive, and even sometimes shrewd George Bush

left no doubt that he was in charge, that he was the Decider well before he coined that term.

. . . each defining aspect of the administration—the policies it has undertaken, its

interaction with the outside world, and the manner in which decisions are made—has been

shaped and determined by the worldview and personal leadership attributes of the president

himself. As a result, all of the seemingly disparate component parts and disconnected events of

the Bush administration have a common origin.

They all are, to varying degrees, outgrowths of the president’s core view that the world

can be understood as an overarching conflict between the forces of Good and Evil, and that

America is “called upon” to defend the former from the latter. That view finds a corresponding

expression for the president on the personal level, where the moral and religious duty of the

individual is to divine God’s will (the Good) and to act in accordance with it.

By definition, this premise demands the identification of Evil, which is the enemy—an

enemy that is pure in its Evil and that, by its very nature, cannot be engaged, offered

compromises, negotiated with, understood, managed, contained, or ignored. It can only be

attacked, hated, and destroyed.

When expressed and implemented as a governing philosophy, this belief in the centrality

of Good vs. Evil results not in an effort to limit government power, but rather to expand it

drastically, both domestically and abroad, in order to accumulate power in service of the battle

against (perceived) Evil and to impose (perceptions of) Good. Such a philosophy is centrally

predicated on the certainty that government leaders can divine God’s will—not with regard to

specific issues and policies but in a generalized moral sense—and can therefore confidently

enlist and expand the awesome power of the American government in service to universal moral

dictates. As a political philosophy, it is therefore far from “conservative.” Rather, it is messianic,

evangelical, and Manichean.

The term Manichean refers in its most literal sense to a religion founded in the third

century by the Persian prophet Manes. The movement attracted large numbers of followers who

were drawn to its simplicity and moral clarity. The religious movement spread throughout large

parts of the Roman Empire and into China. Its central precept was that the entire world could be

cleanly divided into two opposing spheres—God and Satan in the world of the eternal, and a

corresponding dualistic battle of Good and Evil playing out on Earth. A stark dichotomy lies at

the heart of the worldview, with God as father of goodness, and the Prince of Darkness as the

ultimate author of all Evil.

World events were all driven by, were all the by-product of, an ongoing, endless conflict

between the forces of Good and the forces of Evil. One’s overarching moral duty was to

maintain adherence to God’s will by siding with Good and battling against the forces of Evil.

One of Christianity’s most influential moral philosophers, St. Augustine, was a devotee

of Manicheanism in his youth. But ultimately, its doctrinal deviations from Christianity led to its

being condemned as heretical by various Christian emperors. Nonetheless, the similarities

between Manichean and Christian moralism are self-evident, and the influence of the former on

the latter is beyond doubt.

But the historical fate of the Manichees is of far less interest than is contemporary

reliance on their religion’s central moral tenets. In the overwhelming majority of President

Bush’s significant speeches and interviews throughout his political career—but particularly

since the 9/11 attacks—he evinces a dualistic worldview lodged at the core of his belief system.

Both the president’s deeds and, frequently, his own self-descriptions leave no doubt he

holds that world events are driven by the forces of Good vs. Evil. And it is equally clear that the

duty to side with Good and battle against Evil motivates the president—not merely in his private

life but also as a leader, as the American president. The tools for fulfilling that duty are the

powers and resources of the U.S. government.

Many people, probably most, believe in the existence of Good and Evil—that is to say,

they perceive certain isolated acts, perhaps even certain individuals, as composed not of a

mixture of good and evil, but rather as pure Good or pure Evil. Indeed, wide agreement exists

that certain actions can be understood only as pure Evil: Nazis devoting themselves to the

extermination of targeted groups; whites treating blacks as property to be bought and sold;

cold-blooded murders committed for no reason, or petty reasons, without mercy or remorse;

theocracies putting to death heathens, infidels, homosexuals, rape victims, and others who

deviate from mandated orthodoxies; and terrorists flying fuel-laden jets filled with innocent

people into office buildings also filled with innocent people in order to slaughter as many as

possible. One could compile a long list of acts that most would agree are Evil.

Conversely, there are acts that seem accurately characterized as pure Good: one who risks

his own life to save another or one who devotes his life to the well-being of those in need. It is

true that plausible arguments can be advanced that such behavior is driven by mixed motives—

the life-saver becomes a hero and receives adulation, Mother Teresa becomes famous and widely

admired for her aid to the sick and destitute, etc. But it is difficult to dispute that, on an intuitive

if not rational level, these acts seem to be propelled by a force for Good (whatever its origins),

just as murderous or genocidal acts (even when there is a perceived justification for them) seem

driven by Evil.

But deeds that are pure Good or pure Evil—and, even more so, individuals who are pure

Good or pure Evil—are rarities, the exception and not the norm. In truth, the vast, vast majority

of individuals are capable of both Good and Evil, and even those who may commit an Evil act

are capable of acts of great Good (and those who commit acts of Good are capable of Evil).

Human beings and their psyches are complex and shaped by numerous, often conflicting

influences.

Moreover, most behaviors are not susceptible to moral judgment at all. They are

morally neutral, purely pragmatic endeavors geared toward effecting a desired outcome rather

than in the service of moral dictates. When one applies for a job or carries out one’s job duties or

reads a book or eats a meal or chats with a friend or invents a new product or repairs a

malfunctioning machine, pragmatic rather than moral considerations predominate. Routine

decisions and actions such as these are not motivated by moral considerations, even if they have

a moral component to them.

But the Manichean mind-set does not admit to the merely isolated or occasional

appearance of Good and Evil. Rather, in this view, the battle between Good and Evil is the

ongoing dynamic at the epicenter of world events, and more so, acting in defense of the Good

constitutes the overarching duty. It is that mind-set that has driven President Bush and his

presidency. He lays the template of the glorious and all-consuming battle between Good and Evil

over all significant matters, personal and public/political.

Further, for the Manichean believer, the battle between Good and Evil is paramount. It

subordinates all other considerations and never gives way to any conflicting or inconsistent

goals. Measures intended to promote Good or undermine Evil are, by definition, necessary and

just. They cannot be abandoned for pragmatic or prudential reasons, or because of growing

opposition, or in response to evidence of failure. Insufficient progress when attacking Evil never

justifies re-examination of the wisdom of the action, but instead compels a redoubling of one’s

determination to succeed. In sum, complexities, pragmatic considerations, the restraints of

reality are trumped by the imperative of the moral crusade.

This Manichean paradigm unites and explains the president’s personal approach to all

matters—his foreign policy decisions; his relations with other countries; his domestic programs;

the terms he adopts when discussing, debating, and analyzing political matters; his attitude

toward domestic political opponents (including his own former officials and allies who have

become critical); and his treatment of the national media. For the president, there always exists a

clear and identifiable enemy who is to be defeated by any means, means justified not only by the

pureness of the enemy’s Evil but also by the core Goodness that he believes motivates him and

his movement.

Religious faith is but one path to a Manichean mind-set, but it is far from the only one.

Many people come to view the world as an all-consuming Manichean battle due to a variety of

factors having nothing to do with religion—including extreme nationalism (manifested as a

belief that one’s own country is intrinsically Good and anyone who opposes it is pure Evil);

ideological, racial, or ethnic supremacy; or even unrestrained fear (causing one to adopt a view

of themselves as a “Good” victim with the sole priority being “protection” from the threat posed

by forces of Evil). And while much of the support for President Bush’s Manichean crusades may

be explained by some combination of those factors, it is George Bush’s religious faith—as he

himself acknowledges—in which his personal Manichean worldview is rooted.

A critically important caveat is in order here. In the hands of political leaders, Manichean

moralism can operate on at least two different levels. For some, it serves as a sincerely held

belief system, genuinely animating their actions and decisions. Government leaders

automatically driven by Manicheanism believe that there is objective Evil in the world and

deploy state resources to attack and defeat it. Even the most tyrannical and extremist religious

leaders, for instance, or the most brutal tyrants presiding over empires, or the most repressive

Communist dictators (such as Mao Tse-tung or even Fidel Castro) often come to believe that

they are acting in pursuit of moral Good, and that their tyranny is justified—even compelled—by

the threat of Evil which surrounds them. Whether the forces they attack are in fact Evil and/or

whether they are acting in pursuit of the genuine Good is an independent question entirely. The

salient point is that Manichean leaders, by definition, believe that they are acting in pursuit or

defense of the Good and against Evil.

Independently, political leaders can cynically adopt the template and language of

Manichean moralism as a tool for persuading citizens of the necessity and justifiability of

certain actions. Controversial actions that, in fact, have little or nothing to do with a concern

for Good and Evil, and which political leaders know have little or nothing to do with either, can

nonetheless be rhetorically justified via a dualistic appeal—that the action in question is

necessary to fight for Good and defend against Evil. Thus, issues can be framed in Manichean

terms by insincere leaders to manipulate public opinion, to cast morally neutral or even immoral

policies as necessary for defense of the Good, and to thereby generate support for actions they

wish to undertake.

Bush supporter and Commentary magazine founder Irving Kristol—generally credited as

the “Father of Neoconservatism” and the father of Bill Kristol, The Weekly Standard’s

influential prowar editor—has expressly argued that society works best when a vanguard of elite

leaders decide what is best and then disguise those conclusions in a Manichean package in order

to induce what neoconservatism essentially regards as the idiot masses to accept and ingest those

decisions. Kristol explained this approach in an interview, quoted by Reason magazine’s Brian

Doherty in July 1997:

There are different kinds of truths for different kinds of people. There are truths appropriate

for children; truths that are appropriate for students; truths that are appropriate for educated

adults; and truths that are appropriate for highly educated adults, and the notion that there should

be one set of truths available to everyone is a modern democratic fallacy. It doesn’t work.

Writing in Free Inquiry magazine, Shadia Drury, a professor of philosophy and political

science at the University of Regina (Saskatchewan, Canada), documented that Manicheanism as

a manipulative tool has deep roots in neoconservative theory:

There is a certain irony in the fact that the chief guru of the neoconservatives is a thinker who

regarded religion merely as a political tool intended for the masses but not for the superior few.

Leo Strauss, the German Jewish émigré who taught at the University of Chicago almost until his

death in 1973, did not dissent from Marx’s view that religion is the opium of the people; but he

believed that the people need their opium. He therefore taught that those in power must invent

noble lies and pious frauds to keep the people in the stupor for which they are supremely fit.

Drury notes that—beyond Irving Kristol—self-proclaimed followers of Strauss’s theory include

some of the most influential figures in the shaping and selling of Bush’s foreign policy, such as

Paul Wolfowitz, Bill Kristol, and various other Pentagon officials under former Secretary

Rumsfeld. In his autobiographical essay, Irving Kristol specifically lauded the Straussian belief

that the masses in a democracy need to be pacified with moral imperatives, and that “truth” was

only for the elite leadership:

What made [Strauss] so controversial within the academic community was his disbelief in

the Enlightenment dogma that “the truth will make men free.” . . . Strauss was an intellectual

who thought that “the truth could make some minds free” [emphasis added], but he was

convinced that there was an inherent conflict between philosophic truth and political order, and

that the popularization and vulgarization of these truths might import unease, turmoil and the

release of popular passions hitherto held in check by tradition and religion with utterly

unpredictable, but mostly negative, consequences.

Thus, in the eyes of neoconservatives, concepts of Manichean morality are but tools

used to blind, rather than enlighten, the masses, to keep them loyally in line behind their leaders’

“superior” wisdom and insight. Leaders make decisions about complex matters and then package

those decisions in simplistic moralistic terms in order to manipulate public support. Such

packaging is how the neoconservatives’ long-standing, pre-9/11 desire to invade Iraq for all

sorts of geopolitical reasons was transformed into what Bush chief of staff Andy Card called a

“marketing product,” justifying that invasion based on the claims that 9/11 Changed Everything .

. .

- pp. 33-38 [Bush Agonistes (DESTROYING THE REPUBLICAN BRAND)]: Political

journalist Rod Dreher is as conservative as an individual can be—a longtime contributor to

National Review, a self-described “practicing Christian and political conservative,” and a

columnist for the Dallas Morning News. Yet his rejection of George Bush and Bush’s vision of

America is now complete, and the reasoning that led him to that point is shared by many other

Americans who previously supported the president.

In January 2007, Dreher recorded an extraordinary oral essay for National Public Radio

in which he recounts how the conduct of President Bush (for whom he voted twice) in the Iraq

War (which he supported) is causing him to question, really to abandon, the core political beliefs

he has held since childhood. Dreher, forty, explains that his “first real political memory” was the

1979 failed rescue effort of the U.S. hostages in Iran. He states that he “hated” Jimmy Carter for

“shaming America before our enemies with weakness and incompetence.” When Reagan was

elected, Dreher believed “America was saved.” Reagan was “strong and confident.” Democrats

were “weak and depressed.”

In particular, Dreher recounts how much, during the 1980s, he “disliked hippies—the

blame-America-first liberals who were so hung up on Vietnam, who surrendered to Communists

back then just like they want to do now.” In short, to Dreher, Republicans were “winners.”

Democrats were “defeatists.” On September 11, Dreher’s first thought was: “Thank God we have

a Republican in the White House.” The rest of his essay recounts his political transformation as a

result of the Bush presidency:

As President Bush marched the country to war with Iraq, even some voices on the Right

warned that this was a fool’s errand. I dismissed them angrily. I thought them unpatriotic.

But almost four years later, I see that I was the fool.

In Iraq, this Republican President for whom I voted twice has shamed our country

with weakness and incompetence, and the consequences of his failure will be far, far worse

than anything Carter did.

The fraud, the mendacity, the utter haplessness of our government’s conduct of the Iraq

War have been shattering to me.

It wasn’t supposed to turn out like this. Not under a Republican President.

I turn forty next month—middle aged at last—a time of discovering limits, finitude. I

expected that. But what I did not expect was to see the limits of finitude of American power

revealed so painfully.

I did not expect Vietnam.

As I sat in my office last night watching President Bush deliver his big speech, I seethed

over the waste, the folly, the stupidity of this war.

I had a heretical thought for a conservative—that I have got to teach my kids that they

must never, ever take presidents and generals at their word—that their government will send

them to kill and die for noble-sounding rot—that they have to question authority.

On the walk to the parking garage, it hit me. Hadn’t the hippies tried to tell my generation

that? Why had we scorned them so blithely?

Will my children, too small now to understand Iraq, take me seriously when I tell them

one day what powerful men, whom their father once believed in, did to this country? Heavy

thoughts for someone who is still a conservative despite it all. It was a long drive home.

Dreher’s essay is extreme and intense but also increasingly commonplace and illustrative. The

unparalleled magnitude of the disaster that President Bush has wrought on this country will

carry a profound impact on American strength and credibility for a long, long time to come and

also on the views of Americans—including many conservatives—toward their political leaders

and, almost certainly, toward the Republican Party.

Yet another illustrative example is Newsweek’s Fareed Zakaria, who was not only a

supporter of the war in Iraq but also one of two journalists invited to a secret meeting with senior

Bush Defense Department officials in November 2001 at which the participants strategized on

ways to persuade the president of the need to invade Iraq. But by 2006, Zakaria had turned

against the administration almost completely, and by the middle of the year was issuing

sweeping condemnations of both Bush and the legacy of his presidency:

Leave process aside: the results are plain. On almost every issue involving postwar Iraq—

troop strength, international support, the credibility of exiles, de-Baathification, handling

Ayatollah Ali Sistani—Washington’s assumptions and policies have been wrong. By now most

have been reversed, often too late to have much effect. This strange combination of arrogance

and incompetence has not only destroyed the hopes for a new Iraq. It has had the much broader

effect of turning the United States into an international outlaw in the eyes of much of the world.

Whether he wins or loses in November, George W. Bush’s legacy is now clear: the

creation of a poisonous atmosphere of anti-Americanism around the globe. I’m sure he takes full

responsibility.

The enormity of the damage Bush has done to America is reflected by the palpable

change in the content as well as the tone of our political dialogue. By the end of 2006, op-ed

themes such as historian Douglas Brinkley’s in the Washington Post became commonplace.

Brinkley is a highly regarded presidential historian, having written books about Franklin

Roosevelt, Jimmy Carter, and John Kennedy.

In his first paragraph, Brinkley recounts a meeting he had with Reagan biographer Lou

Cannon: “Like many historians these days, we discussed whether George W. Bush is,

conceivably, the worst U.S. president ever.” While Cannon “bristled” at the idea, he did so,

according to Brinkley, not because anything in Bush’s presidency thus far precludes such an

assessment, but only because, with two years left, declaring Bush “the worst” was premature.

After all, unforeseen events could unfold in such a way as to improve Bush’s standing.

But Brinkley had no such qualms, barely qualifying his ready conclusion about Bush’s

place in history:

But we live in speedy times and, the truth is, after six years in power and barring a couple of

miracles, it’s safe to bet that Bush will be forever handcuffed to the bottom rungs of the

presidential ladder.

In February 2007, Al Neuharth, founder of USA Today, the newspaper with the

highest circulation in the country, announced that he had reconsidered his view of Bush’s

place in history. Headlined “Mea Culpa to Bush on Presidents Day,” Neuharth wrote:

Our great country has had 43 presidents. Many very good. A few pretty bad. On Presidents

Day next Monday, it’s appropriate to commemorate them all. . . .

A year ago I criticized Hillary Clinton for saying “this (Bush) administration will go down in

history as one of the worst.”

“She’s wrong,” I wrote. Then I rated these five presidents, in this order, as the worst: Andrew

Jackson, James Buchanan, Ulysses Grant, Hoover and Richard Nixon. “It’s very unlikely

Bush can crack that list,” I added.

I was wrong. This is my mea culpa. Not only has Bush cracked that list, but he is planted firmly

at the top. . . .

Bush admitting his many mistakes on Iraq and ending that fiasco might make many of us

forgive, even though we can never forget the terrible toll on lives and dollars.

The collapse of the Bush presidency brings to mind the plight of the Greek tragic

figure Icarus, whose father built wings made of feathers and wax to enable them to escape from

their exile on Crete. Intoxicated by hubris and uncontrollable sensations of his own potency,

Icarus exceeded his limits and flew too close to the sun, which melted his wings and caused him

to plunge helplessly into the sea.

One can draw a straight line between the unprecedented heights reached by George Bush

in his post-9/11 glory days and the hubris- and arrogance-driven collapse—now sustained and

total—of his presidency.

By any measure, things have not gone well for the United States over the first six years of

the Bush presidency. Is there anyone who really claims otherwise? In any area, what metrics

could possibly be adopted, what achievements invoked, in order to argue that the interests and

welfare of America have been enhanced during this administration?

As Brinkley points out, while Bush and Lyndon Johnson both presided over a deeply

unpopular war, Johnson’s place in history is vastly improved by substantial “major domestic

accomplishments to boast about when leaving the White House, such as the Civil Rights Act and

Medicare/Medicaid.” By stark contrast, Brinkley pointed out, “Bush has virtually none.”

It appears highly likely, even inevitable, that until Bush leaves office on January 20,

2009, the United States is going to be saddled with a failed president, one who is lost, aimless,

weak, and isolated in the extreme. Yet he continues as inflexibly as ever to be driven by a

worldview that has come to be almost universally rejected as useless, even dangerous, for

dealing with the challenges facing the nation.

A failed, lame-duck president, with nothing to lose, can either accept his impotence and

passively muddle through the remainder of his term or do the opposite—move furiously forward

on an extremist course, free of the constraints of facing the electorate again and convinced that

he is on the side of Good and Right. Such a conviction can lead to the belief that his unpopularity

is not an impediment, but a challenge, even a calling, to demonstrate his resolve and

commitment by persisting even more tenaciously in the face of almost universal opposition.

The embrace of that latter course renders public opposition and all other forms of outside

pressure irrelevant, even counterproductive. It is human nature that when one is rejected and

condemned by contemporary opinion, a temptation arises to reject that contemporary opinion as

misguided and worthless. One instead seeks refuge in other less hostile metrics of success—

universal moral standards, or the judgment of a Supreme Being, or the future vindication of

history.

It has long been evident that the president’s worldview compels such refuge. Convinced

that his core beliefs are preordained as Right, he will reject any measurement that rejects his

beliefs and embrace any that affirms them. What matters to him now is not the judgment of

contemporary politicians, journalists, or even the majority of American voters. The rightness of

his actions are determined not by public opinion polls or editorials or even empirical evidence

but instead by adherence to what he perceives to be objectively moral notions of Right and

Wrong, Good and Evil. As the president himself has made expressly clear, his calling is to wage

war against Evil on behalf of Good—as he conceives of those concepts—and he will not be

deterred in that mission, not even slightly, by pragmatic impediments, whether they be political

pressures, resource constraints, ongoing failures, or the objections of American citizens.

“Dear Mr. President/Come take a walk with me/Let's pretend we're just two people and You're not better than me / I'd like to ask you some questions if we can speak honestly . . . What do you feel when you look in the mirror? / Are you proud? / How do you sleep while the rest of us cry? / How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye? / How do you walk with your head held high? / Can you even look me in the eye / And tell me why? / Dear Mr. President / Were you a lonely boy? / Are you a lonely boy? . . . How can you say no child is left behind? / We're not dumb and we're not blind / They're all sitting in your cells / While you pave the road to hell . . . I can only imagine what the First Lady has to say/You've come a long way from whiskey [lord’s herbs (ganja)] and cocaine . . . Let me tell you 'bout hard work/Rebuilding your house after the bombs took them away . . . I don't know nothing 'bout hard work . . .”

“ . . . I never was the fantasy of what you . . . wanted me to be / Don't judge me so harsh . . . I'll say it loud here by your grave / Those angels can't ever take my place . . . But when you tell ‘em my name / And you want to cross that bridge all on your own . . . You tell 'em my name / I got a few friends . . . Somewhere where the orchids grow / I can't find those church bells / That played when you died / Played Gloria / Talkin’ ‘bout Hosanna / Don't judge me so harsh . . .”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...y-1798601.html

‘The US today is . . . full of sodomy, he says. "Did you see [Colonel] Gaddafi [at the UN] complaining that American soldiers have been sodomising Arab boys? . . .”’
    Last edited by HERO; 07-07-2013 at 03:44 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

SLE...does things by his books. right?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squandered the liberal roots of the republican party by embracing ever more 'Christians' opening the door to an authoritarian socialist follow through.
    Squandered the good financial management of the Clinton era.

Not in my quadra.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

ENFJ

And now you may thank Obama (ENFP) and his British friends for destoying life in Libya, Syria, Egypt, lasting chaos in Iraq and Afganistan, neverending economy "crysis" in EU, many problems in ex-USSR and hell knows what will be next. We in Russia think, that next would be ex-USSR, Eastern Europe and China. All these mad Arabs after chaos, religious fanaticism and destroyed economy on their territory easily will take money for war against us, similarily as it was with Germany in 1930s-1940s.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what makes for a "man of hate" like Obama? He hates private wealth, sustainable employment, the freedom to live without interference. He wants all things subordinated to his will.

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this is a lie. It is senseless academic nattering with no basis in the notion of rights, and wars are fought to secure our rights. Bush was foolish, but not psychologically driven to prove his masculinity to invading country.

- John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative hypothesis: there's some agent preying on weakness (Bush's mind, Obama's fear) to build a ring of instability or control between Russia and Africa. The PTBs want something there, as much as they want Russia to not have it. Oil transports?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Squandered the liberal roots of the republican party by embracing ever more 'Christians' opening the door to an authoritarian socialist follow through.
    Squandered the good financial management of the Clinton era.

Not in my quadra.
    He didn't squander anything - hundred years ago both parties underwent polarization, so people voting for Republican today actually vote for Democrats of old and vice versa. Democrats of old were the Christian party you talk about. Names changed.

"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system." - George W. Bush

I'm sure it worked...

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The OP was actually an interesting read. Well, I mean, what I read, which was like half of it. That post was long as shit!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fatherland will save us all from the primordial mother. (Give that ho a slap across the cheeks)

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Grain of a Song of Sand View Post
    Alternative hypothesis: there's some agent preying on weakness (Bush's mind, Obama's fear) to build a ring of instability or control between Russia and Africa. The PTBs want something there, as much as they want Russia to not have it. Oil transports?
    PTB = powers that be. I had to look that up. :-)

- John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    The fatherland will save us all from the primordial mother. (Give that ho a slap across the cheeks)
    The Ancient Romans, and I believe the Germans and Russians do actually use the term "Fatherland." The English and Americans say Motherland.

- John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My job today is to expand everybody's vocabulary. Here is one, translate Pizdat from Russian to English!

- John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast