Thread: Discussion of Gulenko's Cognitive Styles

Hybrid View

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by mfckr; 12-25-2014 at 02:24 AM.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of the above list I'd go with synoptical, just due to how well the meaning of the term syncs up with that word Gulenko used.

I'm getting to thinking that if this cognitive styles theory has merit to it, then there should be expanded definitions of all the IEs to account for them. So both a holographic and causal/determinist description for all the static IEs, and a vortical plus a dialetical expansion on the dynamic ones. I find that my understandings of both Fi and Ne are very holographic in nature, which may result in some discrepancies in terms of describing either of them to someone with shared IE values but different cognitive styles (ENTp, INFj, etc). As such, I think it would also be a good idea to find out what kind of information process is shared between the two cognitive variants of any given IE to make sure there's some definite common ground to go off of.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooh, I like "panoramic". It's the closest I've seen to a word that translates "all-describing" or "total-viewing", and has the added advantage of giving the reader an instant mental picture. I vote for "Holographic-Panoramic".

Actually, I just looked it up -- panorama literally means "all" (pan-) "view" (horama), from the Greek.

Anyway, I've updated the Holographic section. All the changes I made are based on my interpretation the original Russian grammar and vocabulary, in an attempt to improve accuracy.

For one thing, I found that the word we've been translating "full-scale" actually means something more like "real-life". This makes much more sense.

I resolved the issues we were having with the trickier words in the following ways:

"незомбируемая" -- "un-zombie-fiable". I googled the word and found some other uses of it, and it does appear to refer to the ability to resist brainwashing. It figures that the Russians would have a word for that. I translated the sentence thus: "Holographical cognition corresponds to a stable psyche, resistant to programming."

"полноописательное" -- I just updated it to "Panoramic", for now.

"полноохватностью" -- "full-coverage" I translated the sentence: "All-encompassing, which allows a periodic change of perspective on the subject."

One of these days I'll get around to properly wiki-formatting the article.
    Quaero Veritas.

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by mfckr; 12-25-2014 at 02:24 AM.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    (btw, it also contains a hidden implication here about Holographical/Vortical duality ).
    This had crossed my mind, about how the cognitive styles would be dualized in some manner. Like CD would provide the outcome of the situation posed by DA, and H would parse meaning from the chaotic bits of V.

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by mfckr; 12-25-2014 at 02:25 AM.