Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fictional Delta Characters In Movies and Literature

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't think of any off the top of my head. LSE's seem to be under represented in anime.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol that's not so surprising seeing as how anime is pretty INFp
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by introspectivedolphin
    Hmmm, anime is INFp? That might explain why it seems to embody all my sugar spun faerie fantasies. I find myself attracted to anime, it's romantic to get caught up in, but afterwards I feel kind of empty inside because real life is never going to be like that. So I try not to read it too much, or else I just get depressed.
    I know what you mean. I'm interested in something along the same line - Korean dramas. I love how the male character who is so full of passion finds it hard to express his love verbally to the girl he admires and choose to help her in the background instead, even though he seems to be misunderstood and always arguing with her on the surface. <333 However, the best part in these dramas is that there are always two male leading characters with great potential trying to fight for her and the girl didn't know who to choose because both of them really love her for who she is. <33333 Fighting for the chance to be with the girl he loves despite all adversaries is the hottest thing a guy can do for a girl. :wink:

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it really?

*edited*
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice View Post
    Nicholas Angel (acted by Simon Pegg) from the movie Hot Fuzz
    intj or istj
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

professor Higgins in My Fair Lady.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Creepy-Cyclops

Phaedrus

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Phaedrus
    phaedrus is ISTp ron jeremy subtype. ashton says so.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    phaedrus is ISTp ron jeremy subtype. ashton says so.
    Out of curiosity, are you serious? Because I seem to remember that he typed Phaedrus as INTj.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you serious? Because I seem to remember that he typed Phaedrus as INTj.
    it went something like this:

me: HEY EVERYBODY WHAT TYPE IS PHAEDRUS DISCUSS
    ashton: INTj
    ashton: i told you he's INTj
    ashton: INTp
    ashton: ENFj
    ashton: ESFp
    ashton: ISTp
    somebody else: says something to which ron jeremy is somehow relevant to the discussion
    me: HEY EVERYBODY ASHTON SAYS PHAEDRUS IS ISTp
    me: WHAT SUBTYPE IS PHAEDRUS ASHTON
    ashton: ron jeremy
    me: HEY EVERYBODY PHAEDRUS IS ISTp ron jeremy SUBTYPE ASHTON SAYS SO.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes View Post
    Agreed.

Instead I submit a sad old fish

Captain Haddock
    clear LSI

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've added links to all the texts available online for free - you might not like reading them on a computer, but you could just read the brief extracts concerning the relevant character or see if you like the book, and then buy a physical copy.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heartily agree on Prince Muishkin, at least in so far as the snippet (about ten pages or so) I just read, and with Dr. Watson.

I think that the Underground Man (from Dostoevsky's Notes From the Underground) could be INFj as well (though an incredibly dark one).

http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng...c/DosNote.html
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I heartily agree on Prince Muishkin, at least in so far as the snippet (about ten pages or so) I just read, and with Dr. Watson.

I think that the Underground Man (from Dostoevsky's Notes From the Underground) could be INFj as well (though an incredibly dark one).

http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng...c/DosNote.html
    Misutii thought the main character of Notes from the Underground was an unhealthy INFp , so maybe the unhealthiness\darkness makes him difficult to type. Dostoevsky seems to favour INFj characters in his books, generally, which makes sense if it was his type - it wouldn't be very good logic to say that characters must therefore be a INFj though .

Prince Muishkin does indeed come across as a good example of an INFj.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    Thanks Subby. That one struck me a little. Hmm shes like efficient but isn't she too playful or something for an LSE? No perhaps not shes a tough ol bitch and she seems quite serious. No ive just changed my mind perhaps she is. Stream of thought is wonderful isn't it? Chair. Pot plant

from what i remember about the movie, she was good @ providing structure to the kids' lives while maintaining a fair amount of discipline & conservatism. apparently in the books more than the disney movie she is described as "stern and vain" (as per the wikipedia article i just read on her.) she also denies having any supernatural powers when asked about them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Po...28character%29

it doesn't really seem like an entirely bad typing. i also read an INFj typing from some source (maybe socionics.org.)
    Last edited by implied; 04-11-2008 at 02:22 AM.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Misutii thought the main character of Notes from the Underground was an unhealthy INFp , so maybe the unhealthinessdarkness makes him difficult to type. Dostoevsky seems to favour INFj characters in his books, generally, which makes sense if it was his type - it wouldn't be very good logic to say that characters must therefore be a INFj though .

Prince Muishkin does indeed come across as a good example of an INFj.
    That's hard to say. I could see it going either way. I identified somewhat with the Underground Man, but more so with Muishkin. I'd figured that being underground had maladapted him, but hmm? I could see how he could get where he was, but it all seemed extreme to me (like if I had made all sorts of decisions differently, yet the decisions faced were all the same). Maybe maybe maybe, eh?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ;231563
    "The temptation to form premature theories upon insufficient data is the bane of our profession."
    Holmes would probably flip out if he saw how some go about "typing" in this forum.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    Holmes would probably flip out if he saw how some go about "typing" in this forum.
    And correctly so.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    it doesn't really seem like an entirely bad typing. i also read an INFj typing from some source (maybe socionics.org.)
    Yeah i was a youngling when i said that. I agree its a good typing for her.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    EDIT: See i cant see how an LSE would enjoy just flying a kite. More likely to like tell the kids exactly why its flying.

You're right. The only reason I'd want to fly a kite would be if there were pretty women at the beach, or if I was helping a kid or a pretty woman, etc. Other than that - its Frisbee time, baby

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm

Can anyone think of actual, good examples, of positive LSE figures, in literature or in videogames, or movies, or anything? I'm looking for some.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    Hmmmm

Can anyone think of actual, good examples, of positive LSE figures, in literature or in videogames, or movies, or anything? I'm looking for some.
    mary poppins?
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think an exemplary ESTj is the titular character in George Eliot's Adam Bede. His brother also seemed to be a pretty evident INFj. I didn't read far enough to ascertain a type on Adam's eventual love interest though.

Here is a link to where the original text can be found.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/507

Eliot herself may have been a Delta NF (probably INFj, I think). I found the literary criticism of the book outlined in the wiki article to be rather interesting, as it described the main flaw as being an overly moralizing tone in the narration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Bede
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Delta Characters/Themes

I was thinking fictional, but anything that seems to fit delta is welcome.

TV show:
    The Rifleman

LSE maybe? Only saw one episode but the theme seemed decidely delta. The protagonist throws out Te left and right while stressing Ne and Fi ideals.

Movies:
    All Roads Lead Home

Less so the characters as the movie itself (though I thought the grandfather was ExTj and there are likely other deltas in the cast). I'll warn you, it is not a good movie if you look into it. The only notable thing besides that it seemed delta was the fact that the movie was filmed within about 50 miles of where I live. It also won some kind of film award, but I suspect foul play.

Anyway, I'll add more if I think of anything.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chad Lowe in "Fielder's Choice". LSE (or possibly SLI), with a strong focus on Delta values throughout the movie, particularly in Philips behavior and motives.

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bud White and Lynn Bracken in L.A. Confidential.

Not sure, but they are very aloof and at the same time very intense.
    I was wondering hard for Bud's type but Lynn is clearly xNFx, i would say... INFJ
    She displays little Fe despite her "job".
    She shows deep Ne insight (she knows what's going to happen if X goes like this or like that, is a good strategist).
    She holds on strong values : no lies ever, concern for others, a need to return to her home despite all the glorious dreams of hollywood.
    She's very private and does not trust easily, except for Bud.
    She does not have lavish material tastes : it's only for her business, her chambers remain simple and modest with a souvenir from her home.
    Only Bud has access to her sanctuary. She feels as a hole with him. No need for words, she knows what's going on inside the man.

As for the mentioned Bud... makes me wonder. If someone's watched the movie, a little help would be appreciated

For what i've observed, he is equally low on Fe, even when he uses physical violence.
    He is concerned by his intellectual abilities (wants to demonstrate proper investigations/deductions).
    He's annoyed by political manipulation. Has a thing against Exley because his behaviour does not seem trustworthy (low Ne ?)
    He stubbornly punishes violent husbands.
    He's more concerned by getting the right thing done than doing it in a proper way. It's very efficient, with no waste of time/energy (is that Si or Se ???)
    He doesn't care too much about wealth (he happily gives any money he finds to the widow, or to the poor beaten woman).
    He doesn't try to convince others. They are either cooperative, or reluctant. If they are reluctant, he does not use persuasion but basic violence.

They may be aloof LSE with confident EII it's a beautiful couple anyway.

That's an exercise i like !
    If my little analyses annoy you, please feel free to say so, i don't want to impose myself. It's just that i've seen none of the movie/TV shows you mention, as i'm french, so it's frustrating. I love watching delta movies actually

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be more inclined to put Bud as some kind of Se ego, possibly gamma > beta? Lynn is at least conceivably EII. It's been forever and a day since I've seen the movie but I can't think of anything that is startlingly against that type except for the calculated fling with Exxel, though I forget the reason behind that.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be more inclined to put Bud as some kind of Se ego, possibly gamma > beta? Lynn is at least conceivably EII. It's been forever and a day since I've seen the movie but I can't think of anything that is startlingly against that type except for the calculated fling with Exxel, though I forget the reason behind that.
    To set up Bud, so he would go and kill Exxel. Photos have been done with her and Exxel and later Bud discovered those photos "by an accident".
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they were manipulated by the Capt.
    Lynn states clearly she was persuaded to help Bud. She wouldn't have done it otherwise.
    First time i saw the movie, i wasn't particurlaly fan of this couple, but i've watched it last sunday and this time, something in her demeanor reminded me of myself ! So i've paid very close attention.
    As for Bud, i can't type him. All i can say is i appreciate his no fuss behaviour and his strong values.

i think of another movie right now, but maybe i'll be wrong again... it's "Dead Poets Society". it's about finding your own path Neil Perry sounds ENFP to me.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be more inclined to put Bud as some kind of Se ego, possibly gamma > beta?
    I'd be inclined to put almost every role Crow does as some kind of Se ego, or at least Se valuing.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    I'd be inclined to put almost every role Crow does as some kind of Se ego, or at least Se valuing.
    lol, so true.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing says Delta + America like John Wayne. In any role.

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JRiddy View Post

Nothing says Delta + America like John Wayne. In any role.
    what type is john wayne then? john wayne is the ultimate. because if john wayne is delta, i cant be anything else.

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    what type is john wayne then? john wayne is the ultimate. because if john wayne is delta, i cant be anything else.
    I've got him pinned as a flagship ESTj.

JRiddy

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got him pinned as a flagship ESTj.
    really? for some reason i thought ENTj.

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    really? for some reason i thought ENTj.
    Well John Wayne was known and renown for that kinda solid, tough-as-nails persona that not a small number of ESTjs seem to really take to. In general he seems a lot more grounded than ENTjs, and I think he kinda exudes Delta values pretty strongly. ENTjs typically seem kinda removed from their environment or something to me, as do ENFjs (Si PoLR), and while I admit that's a subjective impression, it serves me well to distinguish Alphas and Deltas from Betas and Gammas.

Why do you think he's ENTj?

JRiddy

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think John Wayne is ESTj. I'd wager Te sub though. In that respect I can see how ENTj might be a plausible mistake. I'd find it hard to relax around that dude.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well John Wayne was known and renown for that kinda solid, tough-as-nails persona that not a small number of ESTjs seem to really take to. In general he seems a lot more grounded than ENTjs, and I think he kinda exudes Delta values pretty strongly. ENTjs typically seem kinda removed from their environment or something to me, as do ENFjs (Si PoLR), and while I admit that's a subjective impression, it serves me well to distinguish Alphas and Deltas from Betas and Gammas.

Why do you think he's ENTj?
    i looked him up in the archives, most agree ESTj too. it was an impression and now, i'm "readjusting" my impression. and readjusting my view of my type. john wayne is my activator or even identical. when i get "in my head" too much i pop one of his movies in and it gets me back on track. true grit is in my top 3 movies. hubby called me "john wayne in a skirt" when he first met me. i am very much about rugged individualism in my life. irl, i dont take shit from anybody. online, most are not worth the effort, to me.

as you can see, this typing is important to my understanding my own type...i saved the pic you posted of him and hubby wants a tshirt made of it. one of my favorite lines in one of his movies is when a rustler wanting to steal his cattle asks him "is that all you got?" and he replies "that's WHAT i got."

anyway, i'll leave it here since i have a tendency to derail threads going off on a tangent about how it relates to me.......

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default This is how I think of LSEs

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)