Thread: Franklin D Roosevelt

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Franklin D. Roosevelt

he was quite charming. Was he an Fe type?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

, most likely.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see EIE, SEE, IEE, or SLE for FDR with the middle two much more likely.

His father was a businessman which would seem to indicate IEE or SEE over the other 2. Al Smith was his sometimes friend and sometimes rival and definitely an EIE. FDR had VERY poor conceptual understanding (and would take action despite being confused), which would go against him being an SLE and would make IEE favored over the other 3.

I had seen him typed as IEE-Fi and I kind of agree with that. He was strong-willed like IEE-Fi tend to be, he kept asking his mother for money, he couldn't remain to faithful to his wife, etc., etc. I'm guessing IEE-Fi wouldn't have too hard of a time being tough and making hard decisions (or at least decisions that would be hard to most people) like he did.

If he was not an IEE-Fi, then he was probably SEE. EIE just doesn't go with his Dutch commercial capitalist background and his conflicts with Beta quadra members like Al Smith (and him generally having favorable relations with Delta quadra members, like Eleanor). IEE leaders can appear quite heartless and ruthless where they do everything for some people at the complete expense of other people; Lincoln was one of them, although the other sub-type. I don't think an EIE would've gone to such extremes in those circumstances with spending for the unemployed and if they did they would've had better results; there were also times (the internments, not letting jewish refugees in from europe, not supporting anti-lynching efforts as a political manuever) when he was quite influenced by other people and didn't rely on his own judgment nor try to come down hard from the top down like an EIE would be more likely to do.

The way he was manipulative seemed to favor IEE Ep-ness, being like a fox, rather than Fe guilt manipulation. He was also calmer outwardly than Al Smith, who was an EIE.

He never really thought about balances like an EIE would; he tended to think in either or, half and half static terms.

He didn't have the patrician and eccentric air like Al Smith had, like EIE tend to have (remember, Al Smith's direct maternal line was Anglo-Irish).

Ultimately, Al Smith was the better choice in 1932, I think if he had become President we'd be a lot better off today. I don't think Smith would've gone to the irreversible extremes and Smith was better at balancing things than FDR was, he had better foresight and was better with logic and more diplomatic in dealing with people. But Woodrow Wilson had already killed the Democratic Party envisioned by Martin Van Buren of low taxes, non-interventionism in foreign affairs, decentralization of political power, low regulations, low public spending, hard money, and civil liberties, so it would've been unrealistic for Al Smith to have restored it.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm changing my typing for FDR to SEE-Se. He didn't care about his health, he was calmer, more emotionally stable than IEE-Fi tend to be, and he tended to work ok on average with betas and delta, but not great with all of them. He was also a master politician, really into politics and looked kind of like LBJ, and SEE is "the Politician". IEE probably wouldn't be as good with politics (Alexander Hamilton and Abraham Lincoln, both IEE-Ne, had much more difficult times with manuevering people and connecting with people and were often overwhelmed with the job unlike FDR), plus FDR seemed like an Asking type not a Declaring type and his reasoning about things seemed more like an Se-ego than IEE-Fi. I know he wasn't an EIE.