Thread: Helping an INFp gain self-confidence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Helping an INFp gain self-confidence

My INFP sis thinks she's stupid. I totally disagree and would like to help her. I'm an ENTP, so i'm more motivated and louder than she and well, have managed to be a bit more successful than she is.

My question is, how can I help her gain self-confidence? I keep telling her how she's better than most and how she's really not dumb, but that doesn't seem to help. Is that a hidden agenda thing?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telling her that she's intelligent, witty, and bright won't work in this case. Her idea of being "dumb" probably stems from the fact that she can't hold up to the intellectual level of the people she sees, but this is not true. I would suggest that you engage her in some sort of intellectual topic, to get her thinking and exchanging arguments with you. She needs to see for herself that she's intelligent, and the only way for her to see that is to engage in intelligent conversation, from which you say she is entirely capable of. Debate with her or something of the sort, then at the peak of the discussion, remind her of what she is doing, tell her to look at herself and how well she can keep up with the conversation. Remember, she needs to show herself that she can do it.

I hope I helped.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    Ditto what Cone said.

I'm exactly the same as your sister in that respect. Nobody can convince me that I have a shred of intelligence, I invariably assume that "they're just saying that so I don't feel bad" and get annoyed about it. It's gotta come from within.
    Me too, Ishy. I say Baffle 'em with Bull Shit! PS. Just don't get caught!
    <--- Me pouring out all my love on you!

Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Creepy-whoever

thanks for your replies! i actually debate w/ her quite a lot of many issues and she can totally argue w/ me! guess lack of self-confidence is a common issue for INFps? but if you act w/out self-confidence, people will undermine your ability!