View Poll Results: Sigmund Freud's type?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

3 30.00%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

1 10.00%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

0 0%
  • EIE (ENFj)

0 0%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

1 10.00%
  • LIE (ENTj)

1 10.00%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

1 10.00%
  • LSE (ESTj)

1 10.00%
  • EII (INFj)

2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sigmund Freud

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sigmund Freud

What was his type?

Jung claimed that he was an Extraverted Rational type. Could he have been EIE? I'm not so sure about that one... possibaly. Cone claimed that Freud was an ILE, so I'd like to here his thoughts on this and why he thinks that.

Sigmund Freud's quotes:

Out of your vulnerabilities will come your strength.

Everywhere I go I find a poet has been there before me.

One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful.

We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love.

Whoever loves becomes humble. Those who love have , so to speak , pawned a part of their narcissism.

Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and will come forth later in uglier ways.

Dreams are often most profound when they seem the most crazy.

If youth knew; if age could.

A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.

He that has eyes to see and ears to hear may convince himself that no mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters with his fingertips; betrayal oozes out of him at every pore.

It is impossible to escape the impression that people commonly use false standards of measurement — that they seek power, success and wealth for themselves and admire them in others, and that they underestimate what is of true value in life.

Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.

In the depths of my heart I can’t help being convinced that my dear fellow-men, with a few exceptions, are worthless.

Immorality, no less than morality, has at all times found support in religion.

Last edited by silke; 05-29-2019 at 01:47 AM.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never claimed he was ENTp. I was just voicing what others have said in the past.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His ideas were definate "out-of-nowhere" ideas that seem to be the product of Ne.

He reminds me a bit of RMCNew.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried reading some of his works, but I found them to lack substance, really.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    His ideas were definate "out-of-nowhere" ideas that seem to be the product of Ne.

Well, that's something.. but to be honest I don't think that's enough to claim someone to be a perticular type. Besides, the ID functions can sometimes show their strength and might be confused for the ego...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    I've tried reading some of his works, but I found them to lack substance, really.
    But do the EIEs or LIEs show substance? I'm not really sure.. just asking. I know that does sound more ILE, though.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic

Freud did not invent his theories, he got bits and pieces of information from traditional sources and after conbining them, modernized them. If you understand the concept of the ying/yang and how it relates to to everything around you, you can understand and start to grasp these things. Most people do not take the time or know how to do that, so they never really fully comprehend the theories as they stand.

I suspect people are going to jump in and say I am an idiot, but that is basically the truth if you really want to know.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually relate very well to freud's theories and understand them ... people have claimed that freudian theory has been disproven, but I do not think that that is the case. I think people just never really totally understood where he was coming from with his theories and abandoned them over time or in some cases simply made parts of his theories more adaptable and more complex, therefore outdating them to a certain degree.

Plus, he made some enemies who sought to descredit him; that has also been a source of confusion as well.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, I would analzye the relationship of Freud and Jung together.

If we can figure out what type of intertype relationship they had, we might be able to actually type them both using that as a reliable breech between the two.

http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/jung.html

Long an admirer of Freud, he met him in Vienna in 1907. The story goes that after they met, Freud canceled all his appointments for the day, and they talked for 13 hours straight, such was the impact of the meeting of these two great minds! Freud eventually came to see Jung as the crown prince of psychoanalysis and his heir apparent.

But Jung had never been entirely sold on Freud's theory. Their relationship began to cool in 1909, during a trip to America. They were entertaining themselves by analyzing each others' dreams (more fun, apparently, than shuffleboard), when Freud seemed to show an excess of resistance to Jung's efforts at analysis. Freud finally said that they'd have to stop because he was afraid he would lose his authority! Jung felt rather insulted.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A625628

The two men eventually met in February 1907, in Vienna, where they talked virtually non-stop for 13 hours. Thereafter, Freud began to groom Jung as his successor and leader of the psychoanalytic movement. Jung, in turn, viewed Freud as a positive 'father' figure who was intellectually courageous, something his own father was not. However, this father-son relationship was fated not to last, especially since the prospect of becoming the 'crown prince' meant sacrificing his intellectual independence. Nevertheless, Jung became the first president of the International Psychoanalytic Association (IPA) and chief editor of the Jahrbuch, the first psychoanalytic journal.

During subsequent meetings - including the journey, in 1909, to Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts and at Congresses of the IPA - Jung became increasingly aware that his conceptions significantly differed from Freud's. Jung found Freud's theory of dream interpretation too rigid and reductive, making him blind towards the paradox and ambiguity of unconscious contents. His intellectual doubts concerned the way Freud overgeneralised his theories, especially the theory that all neuroses had their roots in polymorphous, perverse, infantile sexuality
    http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gthurs...da/jung02.html

Jung first met Freud in 1907, in Vienna. From the beginning of his career Jung had found the writings of Freud, Buerer, and Janet an important stimulus for his own thinking. Jung's experiments in word associations corroborated Freud's concept of repression when Freudian ideas were still unwelcome in psychiatric and academic circles. Jung championed Freud's cause at the risk of his own career and finally became a member of Freud's inner circle. They began an eight year association with considerable correspondence (Freud-Jung letters) and in 1909 they were invited by Stanley Hall to come to lecture in America at Clark University.
    In spite of Jung's admiration of Freud he felt a growing frustration over the differences between their attitudes. Freud's dogmatic and positivist attitude, especially in regard to the theory of sexuality, became increasingly disturbing to Jung. That is, whenever confronted by an expression of the higher reaches of the human spirit, Freud seemed to immediately suspect underlying repressed sexuality. To Jung, Freud had substituted God with a dogmatic creed of sexuality.

The turning point in their relationship appeared during their trip to America in 1909. The two were analyzing each other's dreams. Jung at one point, as he himself reports in Memories, Dreams, Relfections, suggested to Freud that he could do a better job interpretating the dreams, if Freud would provide some additional details of his private life. Freud is said to have given him a look of suspicion and said that he could not so risk his authority. To Jung this meant that Freud had place personal locality above truth and a year later he discontinued their association. (Freud's version is that Jung had a death wish focused on his mentor). In 1914 Jung resigned as the president of the International Psychoanalytic Society and shortly thereafter withdrew as a member.

The period between 1912 and 1917 was a particularly disturbing time for Jung. It has been called his creative illness. He was overwhelmed by fantasies and dreams and found it difficult to go on with the aspects of his daily life. He determined to confront these intrusions from his unconscious and thus gave up his public appearances and his academic career. During this period he, like Freud, had a confidant with whom he was able to keep a thread to the external world. This person was Toni Wolf, a long time associate and lover.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what intertype relationship does it sound like they had together?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll start it off.

The two men eventually met in February 1907, in Vienna, where they talked virtually non-stop for 13 hours.
    For such a stimulating exchange to occur, both partners must have similar problems, answers, and attractive personality traits to one another.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll start it off.

The two men eventually met in February 1907, in Vienna, where they talked virtually non-stop for 13 hours.
    For such a stimulating exchange to occur, both partners must have similar problems, answers, and attractive personality traits to one another.
    So, I guess we could say from this that they had some sort of relationship that initially stimulated them, but it did not last ... how come?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The turning point in their relationship appeared during their trip to America in 1909. The two were analyzing each other's dreams. Jung at one point, as he himself reports in Memories, Dreams, Relfections, suggested to Freud that he could do a better job interpretating the dreams, if Freud would provide some additional details of his private life. Freud is said to have given him a look of suspicion and said that he could not so risk his authority. To Jung this meant that Freud had place personal locality above truth and a year later he discontinued their association.
    Think of the issues that broke them up ...

1.)Authority, Freud felt Jung was challenging him
    2.)One-upmanship ... it was obvious that they began to feel angsty about their relationship ... Jung wanted to do a better Job than Freud, but he would not have that ...

and then there is this statement:
    Jung, in turn, viewed Freud as a positive 'father' figure who was intellectually courageous, something his own father was not.
    I am thinking maybe they had a relationship of supervision, which would make sense if Freud was an ENTp and Jung an ISTj ...

Freud [the supervisor] could have well been a father figure to Jung [supervisee] and he admired him, but the relationship broke when Jung tried to challenge Freud and literally wanted to "one-up" him ... it just really really makes me think supervision because that is the same sort of thing that happened between me and my ISTj father.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking maybe they had a relationship of supervision, which would make sense if Freud was an ENTp and Jung an ISTj ...
    Isn't that what I said a long time ago in the Carl Jung thread? Freud Ne was supervising Jung. When they first met Jung also said of Freud how he admired his intelligence. Of course, intelligence comes in many forms, but if Freud was indead ILE, with a dominant function of Ne, then it would make sense that intelligence in his case would be percieved to be of the Ne type. It's only natural to admire your supervisor's strength. I am gald McNew knows of this specific relationship and can see where I am coming from.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sigmund Freud

How bold one gets when one is sure of being loved!
    Sigmund Freud

So what was his type again?
    The traditional socionics opinion has been ENTP, Rick de Long typed him as ENFJ, and Dioklecian claims INFJ. As much as I appreciate his efforts, I still have a hard time seeing Freud as my identical, he complicates simple things and simplifies the important points, so INFP seemed quite possible. Any other opinions or arguments? It is a pity I could not find pictures of him as a young man. Post if you find any, hint hint... There is also an awful lot of material on him online, if you are not that familiar with his life and work. For example, well worth reading:

Three Contributions to the Theory of Sex:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14969...-h/14969-h.htm

More pictures for inspiration:
    http://www.freud.org.uk/INpics.htm

Last edited by silke; 08-29-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: fixed links
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTP, clearly.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I knew, but now I don't. VI is tough when there's facial hair. But I will say that his look is very harsh for being an ILE; they usually have a much more childlike look about them. The two greatest possibilities I see are LSI and LII.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

methinks istj.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't studied his biography much, but ENTp seems more possible.
    me

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some socionists (Bukalov in particular) think he was an ESI!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why do people think that he was an feeling type, because I don't see the F in him at all.
    me

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ENFperator
    I don't understand why do people think that he was an feeling type, because I don't see the F in him at all.
    Have you heard of "transference" whereby a patient is cured by creating an emotional bond with the therapist?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Some socionists (Bukalov in particular) think he was an ESI!
    I think ISFJ seems quite possible.
    Of course he was a child of his times, and comparing others to oneself is not the most objective of typing methods, but the impression I get from reading Freud is that he constantly makes mountains out of molehills and - on the other hand - misses all the important points. I know how to raise my children, but power and control of resources are - and always have been - the essential questions.

Some Freud quotes for inspiration: I like the things he said about love in particular.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    Have you heard of "transference" whereby a patient is cured by creating an emotional bond with the therapist?
    As far as I know, he didn’t see the main goal in creating an emotional bond so that the patients can be cured. He let them lie on a couch so that they couldn’t even see him and played himself a passive role. Freud thought that causes for all symptoms lie in the past (childhood experiences) and that the patient will be cured if he or her would remember the repressed material. Psychoanalysis is a insight oriented not a supportive psychotherapy.
    From an ISFj/ESI I would expect an authentic and supportive relationship with the patients in which the therapist is more active and present. A sensory type would pay much more attention to whats going on in the present, rather than spend time on digging in events that were years ago.
    me

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    the impression I get from reading Freud is that he constantly makes mountains out of molehills and - on the other hand - misses all the important points.
    I most definitely agree.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen Ne INTJ and from what I've read about him I don't see why I'd disagree. Maybe Ti INTj because then he'd have Fe agenda. It'd Give him a fixation on the intentions of people and their inner motivations, etc.

He also seems Fi devaluing.

Idk, Im not gonna be adamant with this one because I dont know I know enough about him, but goin wit Ti INTj fo now.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE>ILE>Anything else.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    EIE>ILE>Anything else.
    Any parallels ya see? lol
    The end is nigh

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess would be ILE based on the following somewhat unconvincing arguments:

- Jung called him an Extroverted Intuitive type.

- Regarding his relationship with Jung there is little that contradicts Mirror.

- Freud's writing style resembles that of LII/ILE.

Nonetheless I'm curious about the arguments that favor EIE...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since this is a Freud thread.

A literal reader of the text might say
    that Goldilocks ate the "porridge"
    because she was "hungry."
    But what would Freud say?

From Daddy Daycare

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That explains why the people on the tour move on to the next part before and answer is given.

Freud one sick son of a b*#ch.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ProcrastinateTomorrow View Post
    That explains why the people on the tour move on to the next part before and answer is given.

Freud one sick son of a b*#ch.
    He invented Ego SuperEgo and Id, something that's is re used in Socionics.

Next to that, he wrote much stuff on the uncounscious which is still valid today, unfortunately most people only know him from Psycho-analysis, which was his big mistake.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    I've never seen the film, but I'm sure he would say something along the lines of:

Goldilocks eating the porridge represents the desire to breach her hymen, hence signaling her ascent into womanhood, with the bears representing the unconscious terror of a first sexual encounter with a strange man- and the father bear, in particular, representing Goldilock's repressed oedipal desires- culminating in an inquisitive diatribe on the real sexual orientation of the listener...

hence the beta NF typing.
    lmao

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    i agreed with this in the Jung thread.
    No, Freud couldn't possibly be SLE.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ENTp
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could easily see ENFj, but Si creative is stretching it a bit. His work is so full of abstraction and theory it couldn't have been a secundary concern to him.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vote is for ILE.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    His work is so full of abstraction and theory it couldn't have been a secundary concern to him.
    exactly.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ILE
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast