Thread: Forgetfullness, is this common among ENFps?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Forgetfullness, is this common among ENFps?

Is it common for ENFPs to be forgetful? I forget things as commonly used as my phone number. I remember when I was back in high school I'd forget my locker combination like halfway into the school year, when I'd been using it several times a day up to that point. I also forget to bring things with me when I go places, like if I borrow a book from someone and need to return it. I have to put things to do, even very obvious things, on my calendar (Outlook, with a audible alarm reminder) or I forget to do things. I swear I'd forget to feed my daughter if she didn't tell me she was hungry when she needed to eat. I feel awful saying that because I work very hard to be good to her.

What is the liklihood that I can change that? Other people get annoyed by this. Particularly my mom.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about ENFp's but this INFp does exactly the same thing. Just too much going on my head all the time. I do ten things at the same time and so nothing ever gets done. Can't walk from the den through the living room to the kitchen to get something to drink as there are so many things out of place and things that need picked up or arranged or whatever . . . Never do get to that drink. I forget to eat till I'm so hungry I can't go anymore.
    <--- Me pouring out all my love on you!

Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Creepy-ENFPerator

It is common for ENFps' to be forgetful (of course, I can't speak for all, but usually it is). I remember faces very well, but I have difficulty to keep in mind dates, birthdays, names and numbers. I can remember peoples' faces, but often forget their names. I don't forget to eat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate not remembering names. It's like you didn't care enough. Makes me feel just terrible.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by ENFPerator
    It is common for ENFps' to be forgetful (of course, I can't speak for all, but usually it is). I remember faces very well, but I have difficulty to keep in mind dates, birthdays, names and numbers. I can remember peoples' faces, but often forget their names. I don't forget to eat.
    I have a terrible time with names, especially with certain people. There are some people who no matter how many times they tell me their name it just slips off. I guess they just dont resonate anything to me. Sometimes I can remember everything about a new aquaintance, our conversation, where they were born, where they grew up, what they do for a living, and even some personality quirks.... but ask me their name complete blank

Topaz

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this name problem too. It's very embarassing because I'm afraid people might think I don't care or that I'm not interested or that I don't remember them. It's really just the name. I wish everyone everywhere wore name tags.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha forget the names, i can be talking to someone and in the middle of a sentence completely forget what i was saying and go do something else

but the weird thing is that i can remember exactly what a persons personality is like, and how i need to act to keep them happy, just not their name
    ________
    GAA engine
    Last edited by ENFPaaron; 01-28-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ENFPaaron
    . . . but the weird thing is that i can remember exactly what a persons personality is like, and how i need to act to keep them happy, just not their name
    Maybe you're just too preoccupied here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember people, not names. I can see a person I haven't met in years, and recognize them. Of course, I'm as likely to call them Jesus or Nebuchadnezzar than by their true names.
    Yes, I'm forgetful. I'm also absent-minded, nerdy, and plain-looking (In consideration to myself, I chose not to employ a stronger term). And I seem arrogant. I come across more like myself online than in real life. I'm also the ultimate purveyor of stupid ideas and bad jokes around .
    Beware! Nerd genes on the prowl.

INFj - The Holy CPU Saint
    Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"nerdy, and plain-looking"

Not by any means! You look just like one of my former boyfriends (almost floored me when I saw your pic) and I am very picky and choosey. :wink:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis
    "nerdy, and plain-looking"

Not by any means! You look just like one of my former boyfriends (almost floored me when I saw your pic) and I am very picky and choosey. :wink:
    Yeah, right... we both know you're just saying that in order to be nice . However, thank you anyway .
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord
    I'm also the ultimate purveyor of stupid ideas and bad jokes around .
    Me, too. Perhaps that is why I think you are so hilarious! :wink:
    PS: Nerdy is sexy.
    Thank you. Most of my humour comes naturally when I write. I probably couldn't have written non-humourously if I wanted to. I also find many of your posts to be funny, too.

PS: If nerdy is sexy, then I'm probably geeky instead.

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS: If nerdy is sexy, then I'm probably geeky instead.
    I hate to tell ya, but geeky is sexy, too. Just give it up and embrace your sexiness.
    Ok, dorky, then.
    And, hey, quit pumping up my ego, or it might just reach critical mass and either nova or implode into a black hole .

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, come on! See, now you've made me normal again .

[internal monologue]...and there she goes. This other INFj is sure lucky, whoever he/she is. I would never admit it, but, though I don't take a word of that seriously, it is very nice to hear...[/internal monologue]
    Nothing has been better for my self-esteem than coming to the US and to this forum . Even the criticism on here is reinvigorating.

Kim and Artemis, you are both far too nice for both your own good and mine. I thank you for giving this boring, old INFj some of your time.

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't answer that question...

I'm going to have to get off the computer now. Goodbye.

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the world of an enthusiastic ENFp who just cannot help herself in view of funny nerdy men...I really wonder why it is that I see them jump on the spaceship and set out to save the world alone and not with me. Is it something I said??
    Kim, when I saw your previous post I was thinking that I wish I could be as straightforward about feelings as you are (even in jest). Hmm... guess it's not quite as good as it seems to be. *shrugs*
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like guys who let off a quiet, mysterious vibe. Some nerds do, but some non-nerdy guys do too.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the world of an enthusiastic ENFp who just cannot help herself in view of funny nerdy men...I really wonder why it is that I see them jump on the spaceship and set out to save the world alone and not with me. Is it something I said??
    Hey, it wasn't your fault. When I said I had to get off the computer, that was 100% accurate.

If you want a space on the ship, I'm happy to oblige. I'm more worried that I'll never have anybody saving the world by my side . I've been in the US for three months, and I'm only now starting to make two relatively stable friends. I've been to school for twelve years, and never had a girl interested in me. Though, I must confess that the very thought ruins my "feeling-radar" . Even if a girl was interested in me, I'd likely take it as jest. By now, I'm 100% unsure what you meant with what you have said in this thread, joke or truth or both. If it was real, I'll be walking on pink clouds for months to come .
    On top of that, I'm shy and reclusive, with a tendency to come with biting remarks when feeling threatened. Is it any wonder that I'd likely feel intimidated? However, since this wasn't face-to-face, I felt I could handle it. If it can make you feel better, I must tell you that that is about as far out of my shell as I've ever been.

Honestly, when you ask the question "Want to make out?"... There is no way I can handle it! I lose my words, and start sounding like a babbling fool. Can you imagine any better way to turn the girl off?

Listen to me rambling... I sound like a total fool. And I've used the "" emoticon more in this single post than all others combined...

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw him first!

Better sharpen up that little tiny spear of yours, girlie!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol! Now you're being fought over, DL.

BTW I thought you were kinda sexy, too.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Hides under the table*

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Hides under the table*
    How are you going to survive at the socionics convention?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think i'm gonna puke some s

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis

*Hides under the table*
    How are you going to survive at the socionics convention?
    Won't there be tables?

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a space on the ship, I'm happy to oblige. I'm more worried that I'll never have anybody saving the world by my side . I've been in the US for three months, and I'm only now starting to make two relatively stable friends.
    You know, it was absolutely the same for me when I was an exchange student in the US. It's a different "friendship culture" and the dynamics in schools are so different. It's not you. It's the cultural differences.
    Hmm... I don't know.
    I've been to school for twelve years, and never had a girl interested in me. Though, I must confess that the very thought ruins my "feeling-radar" . Even if a girl was interested in me, I'd likely take it as jest.
    In this case, it's you, not them! :wink: I see that in sooooo many introverts I know. I have always been more attracted to the shy, brainy guys, but I never knew how to approach and I was always afraid of getting rejected ("I'm not smart enough" "They think I'm too sugary"). It's as tough for the girls as it is for you! :wink:
    When it comes to nerdy boys, you can be nearly certain they will not turn you away! At least not if they are F nerds.
    Besides, you're definitely smart enough!
    When it comes to me, though, I think the girls would hesitate any way. You haven't seen me in RL. That would certainly change your opinion.
    Let me put it this way: I have met people who looked worse than me. But not many.
    By now, I'm 100% unsure what you meant with what you have said in this thread, joke or truth or both. If it was real, I'll be walking on pink clouds for months to come .
    Do walk on pink clouds because you are the type of man I would be very interested in: Shy, intelligent, funny, non-pretentious, eloquent and super-cute! The comment was in jest only because you are quite a bit younger than I am.
    I think I just sprouted angel wings...
    Super-cute...
    Seriously, I will save this thread somewhere and read it whenever I feel down. It will be enough to bring me out of anything, even a full-scale depression.
    On top of that, I'm shy and reclusive, with a tendency to come with biting remarks when feeling threatened. Is it any wonder that I'd likely feel intimidated? However, since this wasn't face-to-face, I felt I could handle it. If it can make you feel better, I must tell you that that is about as far out of my shell as I've ever been.
    You know, I really appreciate your honesty because I have to be reminded that I cannot always blurt out what comes into my head. Imagine this: I meet an INTj, I kiss him, I ask him the same thing. Was he freaked out? Hell yes! Did I have any right to freak him out like that? No, I didn't and to this day I'm embarrassed (although it's been addressed and all). My impulsiveness gets the best of me and I act without thinking...Not a good thing. I'm sorry for making you feel uncomfortable. But, ehm, my positive emotions only come out like that when I really like people!
    I can probably say that this INTj was very flattered, even as he was embarassed and intimidated. And, for what it's worth, I admire that impulsiveness, at the same time as I am jealous of it. If I just could go around telling what I felt like you ... That's what makes you ENFps the envy of the world (No, shut up, evil NTs! They are).
    Honestly, when you ask the question "Want to make out?"... There is no way I can handle it! I lose my words, and start sounding like a babbling fool. Can you imagine any better way to turn the girl off?
    Actually, I would find it very charming! LIke you said scatteredness can be charming. I really really like non-pretentious people.
    Thank you. It is good to hear that even such "qualities" can be appreciated .
    Listen to me rambling... I sound like a total fool.
    No, you just sound insecure. Keep in mind that girls are insecure, too. Give them a chance!

Again, sorry! I will stop throwing inappropriate (well, I'll try at least)!
    Hey, Fi is my dominant function, no sweat :wink: . I can handle it... I hope.

I know that girls are insecure, too. Intellectually. My Ti knows it. My Fi does not. I know it, but I don't understand it. It's like trying to follow a Moebius strip with your eyes.

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really think so. Three months is not a long time.
    Well, it seems to be.
    Thank you! All this intimidation is too bad, isn't it? I wish I had been more daring. But I'm really only outgoing and direct when I sense that the person at least likes me. With some of the guys, I wasn't quite sure. Socionics has really taught me A LOT when it comes to understanding differences.
    Hey, just be glad we;re not snapping into self defense mode, or I'd do like I just did to my ESTj host-sister (That host part seems to be really important, because is denies any possible biological relation between us): Aim for her weak points, and fire away. Of course, she was the culprit and the one whoo started it all up. I honestly don't ever want to have to live with my dual.
    I saw your picture a while ago and I really don't know what you mean...
    The pic is old and I'm wearing my suit. That always helps.
    You can rest assured that many people here think you are really cool and fun. Take that into real life with you if you can!
    Thanks. I try to. The thing is, the RL people here in the US seem to think so to. I'm quite frankly overwhelmed. I've always been a bit of a loser. Perhaps starting back up without a record changes things.
    I wish I really knew. I do think it freaked him out a lot...and I still wonder if I blew everything right then...I should probably just ask him...
    Yeah. You would probably get a better answer than you think.
    That is really sweet! But it comes with a price more often than not, we pick up the pieces of embarrassment behind us. Or jump right into weird/creepy/unhealthy situations...some of my friends are frequently worried for my safety. And we are really paranoid about people liking us, too, which can be daunting...So don't be too envious. There are sooooo many moments where I want to be a j, for example!
    They like you. Rest assured, they like you. I have observed ENFps in crowds, and the only people who don't like you are the ones that are jealous of you. The habit of just jumping into things... Well, that is part of what makes the very special ENFp charm. Honestly, I'd much rather meet an ENFp girl than any other type.
    And you have no idea how many times I've wanted to be more of an extravert! Or even just remotely interested in the same things as all others seem to. I'm just a nerd, because that is the only way I can do my hobbies, explore my interests and follow my own heart.

Yeah, that is how I feel about you shy brainy guys. I just can't help but wonder how I come across...We should just thow it all into the wind and feel that we are actually gracing other people with our presence!
    What would happen if one could really, really believe that for one week? :wink:
    Pandemonium... No, that would be Utopia in its grandest sense.

If we all could just be able to help others through our presences, if all of us merely had the heart and skills to help one other human inprove his or her life, the world would be perfect in one generation.

Now I'm getting the same feeling I sometimes do when I through fiction see glimpses of alternate ways of life: The deep ache that I can never live in a world where great and magnificent things are possible. I'm scared to death that I will live and die without improving this world the least little bit. My greatest wish is just to make a difference. I don't care that I will never live in a world of discovery and wonders, if I could just help make it so. That is why I so want to help humanity establish permanent colonies in space: It would let everybody partake in finding new worlds, meeting other species (What's the chance that we're the only intelligent species to evolve out there?), discovering new and wondrous technology... It would open opportunities and elevate us one step above our current position. It would allow us to gain in perspective, and see how small wee, how minutely delicate our existence, and how we can solve all our problems so easily.

Dammit, I'm on the verge of tears here. I know I can never be anything big like that, and I can make no difference in the flood of humans out there. They won't listen. There is no way to reach out to them all. There are probably less than a million out there sharing my dreams. The world is a mess. We are destroying us, and I can't help but think it will take us with it. Every day, my heart aches for the stupidity and futility of mankind. We had such potential. Where did it go wrong?

I've now posted something I've never told even my closest ones on an online forum, for total strangers to read. Ah, life is strange...

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I'm curious. Where is this picture you're talking about? (And Kim and Artemis are right, Darklord, you are very likeable.)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Forgetfulness, is this an ENFp thing?

This isn't about me this time.

There's this guy I know whom I think is an ENFp. For a while, every time I saw him I had to re-introduce myself to him. He never remembered me. But then when he saw my daughter he'd remember her and then remember me.

But I saw him the other day and didn't go up to him to say hi immediately because I assumed he wouldn't remember me anyway. I didn't have my daughter with me so I couldn't rely on him remembering me through her. Anyway, this time he *did* remember me and asked why I hadn't said hi.

Is this an ENFp trait? I do sometimes forget people, or have people talk to me and I'm not sure if I know them or where I know them from, so I might be doing this to people too. If I am I have to pay more attention to it because it's maddening on the receiving end.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say that is a weak thing, and therefore more or less common to intuitives.

In particular ENFp, ENTp, INTj, and INFj.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually a bit surprised, because I do remember people's faces. Forgetting names would rather sound like a ENFp thing.
    me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ENFperator
    I'm actually a bit surprised, because I do remember people's faces. Forgetting names would rather sound like a ENFp thing.
    Ditto. There was this girl who I had met oh, a bunch of times but couldnt remember her name. She decided to have fun with it. Every time she saw me she'd run up and say "Whats my name?" which of course would make me freak out and forget her name. Once I saw her out of the corner of my eye and I tried to run and hide but she chased me down and made admit I forgot her name again. Faces yes, impressions yes, names... not always.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can forget people's faces if I meet them in another social setting than the one I'm used to. Once I met my hairdresser while she was walking her dog, and she was wearing a coat and scarf and didn't have a pair of scissors in her hands, so I didn't recognise her in time. There was just this a nagging suspicion that I knew her. That kind of thing happens regularly to me, especially if I'm thinking about two or three other things at once and/or daydreaming.

And I'm terrible about names. I'm even worse when it comes to people's jobs. URK! Just before leaving school or University, everybody would always be talking about what they were planning to do, and I always had to ask everybody three or four times till I remembered what their plans were. Nightmare!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

say an ENFP chick forgets to call you back...

Do you A) Pretend she never said she would call you back?
    B) Guilt trip her letting her know?
    C) Call her back the same day letter know?
    D) Subtly mention it next conversation (waiting for her to call)

?
    {♠x<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸IcEPiCk¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>x♠ }

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(D), that way she can decide for herself whether she wants to call you back. She either genuinely forgot, and in that case it would be wrong to embarass her (might produce too much pressure, and that could scare her away). Or she wasn't sure, or lacked courage, or whatever, and in that case it's best just to gently prod her memory a bit and show her you're such a nice and nonthreatening and worthwhile guy that she ought to give it a shot. Or she didn't want to call you back because she didn't think it right, and in that case it's good to just gently drop a hint, and if she chooses to ignore it, you've both saved your face and no harm is done.

But that's just my own opinion, and I've written this in a hurry, so take it with a pinch of salt.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This post was written a few million weeks ago so forgive me for reviving a dampened fire. My feelingbag (who's name will be called fifi for now) is going to burst with lovedovey feelings. Just one thing to say to darklord before I go: you're the kind of person who looks really great in our minds. Have never seen your picture though but as someone who's eyes look out for beauty, your preconcieved image forms a beautiful sort of essence which I cannot describe. I shall go find an ENFp to relieve my stress. phew.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, BlueBlade, please never, ever click on a link to my picture. I'd hate to ruin your beautiful mental image.
    :wink:

Every time this thread comes back up, I'm a font size 1 "a"s breadth from blushing.
    That's this far: a

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's fabulous to read you again, Darklord!
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Bows*
    Thank you very much, m'lady.
    Yes, Darklord is back. Bigger (At least when it comes to ego ), better (Which doesn't say much) and even nerdier (Which does) than last time after my recent introduction to Star Trek.

Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm forgetful about the most random things, like when I leave something at a random place and then can't find it anymore. However, when it comes to remembering a theory, it stays in my head forever.

I heard you remember things better when your interested, so I guess an ENFP forgets things when they are bored.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I'm forgetful about the most random things, like when I leave something at a random place and then can't find it anymore. However, when it comes to remembering a theory, it stays in my head forever.

I heard you remember things better when your interested, so I guess an ENFP forgets things when they are bored.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    I remember I was going to study something I didn't like in university and so I wasn't that hyped for it. I kept forgetting many things...forgetting many papers, forgetting bringing my bag when I was going to the university. (my unconscious desire)
    So yeah it's a matter of interest.

Other than that... I do forget a lot. it's a struggle.
    I really think I wouldn't be able to live alone safely and without complications. I forget to take things to be fixed for example and I tend to put off many necessary things which make me hate my life even more.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a pretty good memory when it comes to facts relating to my interests, and things about people. I can remember conversations from years and years ago, and then creep people out that it never left my memory. While I can remember people's interests, their little quirks, and fun facts, I am very poor with names when first meeting people. Many people compliment me on having a good memory. I have a good memory for TV shows, movies, and books too. In some areas, I am a very focussed, singleminded person but in my areas of weakness, I'm a big scatterbrain. When it comes to things such as navigation/directions, tasks relating to a new job, things relating to my surroundings and the here and now, things involving remember large numbers just to name a few things, I have a goldfish memory.

I have very poor recall when it comes to tasks relating to these things, and I need to do something over and over again to get to the point of remembering it in great detail. Either this, or a I need to find a way to relate a topic of interest to the task at hand.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?