TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default How accurate is VI?

I'm curious how you VI?

How accurate do you think VI is from stilll shot photos, and/or how would you rate yourself at it?

For myself, I think it's difficult to get a lock on most people, I can get an impression, and sometimes I think two people look similar, then when I talk to them, over time they seem to be rather different.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    How accurate do you think VI is from stilll shot photos...
    For an average socionist it's slightly better than random guessing.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's mostly a matter of experience. Just as a highly experienced psychologist may treat so many patients for depression that he eventually learns to see the signs of depression in a patient who just walked into the room in his expression and body language, an experienced socionist may diagnose the type of so many people that he starts to be able to see the signs of type in people's body language and expressions.

However, V.I. is no substitute for a more thorough type diagnosis. It can give you a good starting point, something to work with, but it should never be relied upon for a final conclusion.
    Quaero Veritas.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I was skeptical and had little proof that it would work, but I've really learned that people of the same type do actually have some rather similar underlying expressions characteristic of the type. It's not just what their physical characteristics are or what kind of stereotype they physically resemble, or various silly things you might read in physical descriptions, but definitely their underlying expression, the kind of thing you can only see for yourself and that happens here and there you have to catch, and I think I'm getting a lot better at finding these too. I might one day be automatic with it, and look into my impressions as a good starting place. It's not someone's neck shape, forehead size, square head, jaw shape, being big-boned, bad eyesight-wears glasses, none of that fake stuff, but the deliverance of personality in expressions, all the various kinds of expressions. Stop trying to compute brain function and personality with external features, it's horribly inaccurate, and to think that people would try it, its demeaning. But expressions, how a person chooses to move his/her face/body, these instinctive practices and reactions line up with really "what a person does" that makes a correlation to who a person is on the inside, where it counts.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Before I was skeptical and had little proof that it would work, but I've really learned that people of the same type do actually have some rather similar underlying expressions characteristic of the type. It's not just what their physical characteristics are or what kind of stereotype they physically resemble, or various silly things you might read in physical descriptions, but definitely their underlying expression, the kind of thing you can only see for yourself and that happens here and there you have to catch, and I think I'm getting a lot better at finding these too. I might one day be automatic with it, and look into my impressions as a good starting place. It's not someone's neck shape, forehead size, square head, jaw shape, being big-boned, bad eyesight-wears glasses, none of that fake stuff, but the deliverance of personality in expressions. Stop trying to compute external features with brain function and personality, it's horribly inaccurate, and to think that people would try it, its demeaning. But expressions, how a person chooses to move his/her face, and the instinctive practices and reactions like these line up with really "what a person does" that makes a correlation to who a person is on the inside where it counts.
    Yeah, I think I can see VI as in terms of a video being much more affective, especially if there's other people around they are interacting with. I'll try to pay more attention to how their faces are in motion.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

VI via photos is dumb. VI via observation of movement and behavior is accurate.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-male

VI off static photos is hard. I can do it sometimes, though, since at the very least you can sometimes spot J/P based on the angles in various joints (consequence of the scaffolding/rubber bands look between rigid Js and flexible Ps, imo).

Then, some types just have really, really distinctive looks, like SLEs (who notoriously peer under their brow or over their nose at cameras).

I rely heavily on V.I. in real-life to get good guesses at people's types within a few minutes. Certain traits will manifest very observably (either as combinations of J/P rigidity and I/E energy levels, or temperament-specific mannerisms (ENps tend to remind me of cats, lol)), such as temperament, or Fe ego, or even Fi dominance. After that I narrow it down either by stealth-interview (a friendly conversation can do wonders, esp. w/ Identicals) or if that's not possible just waiting for a ping when they say something very distinctive to a certain type (again, some people will just never cause these pings, and resist me typing them on more than a 6/10 on confidence).

Of course there are always people that are resistant to being typed like this and will have me really stymied until I get my lightbulb and it all clicks into place.