View Poll Results: What type is Jim Carrey?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

5 19.23%
  • SEI (ISFp)

1 3.85%
  • ESE (ESFj)

2 7.69%
  • LII (INTj)

1 3.85%
  • SLE (ESTp)

4 15.38%
  • IEI (INFp)

1 3.85%
  • EIE (ENFj)

5 19.23%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

1 3.85%
  • ILI (INTp)

1 3.85%
  • LIE (ENTj)

2 7.69%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

2 7.69%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim Carrey

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    One of the biggest things to keep in mind with Jim Carrey is that his whole "crazy man" face-pulling act is just a persona. It's not the real him. If you watch the interview with Charlie Rose, he talks about how when he was young, he saw it as his "job" to cheer his mom up, who was ill and depressed. He put on this act in order to do that, and just kept doing it. It's like a mask that he's worn for so long, it's almost become a part of him. But it's definitely not the "real him". The real Jim Carrey is the one you see talking to Charlie Rose in that interview, or in other more serious interviews.
    ENFjs are known for playing a role in front of others or in society. There is no such thing as the real Jim Carrey as having in the superego block means not knowing "who you are", as the alpha SFs like to put it. The sense of identity in types is so confused that its intimidating to have define the "real you" to others, if you were an type you wouldnt know what that is since its constantly changing. types dont have a static sense of who they are like alphas and deltas do, so it may hard to understand for some people who dont have it. An ESFj friend of mine(who Im not friends with anymore, since he turned out to be an asshole) was trying to pin things I do as "yes thats you!" and it may have been but to me it was only the persona, the mask i had developed naturally for myself.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    ENFjs are known for playing a role in front of others or in society. There is no such thing as the real Jim Carrey as having in the superego block means not knowing "who you are", as the alpha SFs like to put it. The sense of identity in types is so confused that its intimidating to have define the "real you" to others, if you were an type you wouldnt know what that is since its constantly changing. types dont have a static sense of who they are like alphas and deltas do, so it may hard to understand for some people who dont have it. An ESFj friend of mine(who Im not friends with anymore, since he turned out to be an asshole) was trying to pin things I do as "yes thats you!" and it may have been but to me it was only the persona, the mask i had developed naturally for myself.
    Hmmmmmm, interesting. Thanks for the perspective, I had no idea.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the biggest things to keep in mind with Jim Carrey is that his whole "crazy man" face-pulling act is just a persona. It's not the real him. If you watch the interview with Charlie Rose, he talks about how when he was young, he saw it as his "job" to cheer his mom up, who was ill and depressed. He put on this act in order to do that, and just kept doing it. It's like a mask that he's worn for so long, it's almost become a part of him. But it's definitely not the "real him". The real Jim Carrey is the one you see talking to Charlie Rose in that interview, or in other more serious interviews.
    I know, i realize that, even watching the Truman Show. My opinion of his type centers around his choice of how he thinks he should entertain people. I feel that an Fe-ego would be able to entertain without the crazy faces and without resorting to an alter-persona, but who knows, I could be wrong. No question Fe-valuing though. I think most of us agree on that.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My own theory (and this is pure speculation) is that Carrey's parents were(are?) Alpha, and in trying to entertain them, Carrey adopted an ESE persona. His exaggerated physicality (the crazy faces, the wild movements, etc.) may be the result of trying to use his Vulnerable Si on "overload", to simulate the way ESE uses Si to generate Fe. Note how Robin Williams, for example, uses a lot of the same sort of physicality in his comedy, but is much more controlled and deliberate about it.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My own theory (and this is pure speculation) is that Carrey's parents were(are?) Alpha, and in trying to entertain them, Carrey adopted an ESE persona. His exaggerated physicality (the crazy faces, the wild movements, etc.) may be the result of trying to use his Vulnerable Si on "overload", to simulate the way ESE uses Si to generate Fe. Note how Robin Williams, for example, uses a lot of the same sort of physicality in his comedy, but is much more controlled and deliberate about it.
    I never really thought about this but that's a good point
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    I never really thought about this but that's a good point
    So the grimacing is Si POLR then? I dont get it.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    So the grimacing is Si POLR then? I dont get it.
    The main problem with the PoLR function is that one has no ability to fine-tune it -- when we try to use it, it's always either way too much, or way too little. Jim Carrey, when in his crazy persona, uses way too much.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main problem with the PoLR function is that one has no ability to fine-tune it -- when we try to use it, it's always either way too much, or way too little. Jim Carrey, when in his crazy persona, uses way too much.
    yeah; Carrey comes across as more awkward and unpolished with his physical presentation than I'd expect from a sensory ego in general. It seems like he tries to over-compensate for it, in this sense

Correction: Conan is NOT ISTp, he's ENTp.
    From watching his interview with Charlie Rose I'm quite confident he's an LIE; his real life persona and motivation bears a stark contrast to his TV one. Here's a quote from it that I saved; shows a priority on Gamma IE values

"I've always been a really hardworker, I come across as this happy-go-lucky...I'm an extremely hard worker, and I'm very intense. And up until than everything that I achieved in life had been back-breakingly hard for me. I felt like it had taken a huge effort to get good grades and write a great paper and to do well, it had all been a lot of effort"
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But isn't that the case with any weak function?

I just dont understand how the grimacing is a manifestation of Si, as opposed to Fe.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just dont understand how the grimacing is a manifestation of Si, as opposed to Fe.
    It's both. Complete ignorance of Si for the unconcern towards looking "natural" and Fe to motivate the emotive impulse of the act. Fits ENFj to a T.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Ni-ENTj with a huge role!
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    It's both. Complete ignorance of Si for the unconcern towards looking "natural" and Fe to motivate the emotive impulse of the act. Fits ENFj to a T.
    oh. But I thought ENFj's look natural when they use Fe? Am i wrong about that?

Do Si dual seekers also look unnatural?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh. But I thought ENFj's look natural when they use Fe?
    ENFj behavior tends to be a little artificial in a general sense. It isn't really dependent on what function they are using. As far as I'm aware "ego function" just means it's used a lot and with a lot of effort put behind it, and in ways that lead to the successful attainment of an envisioned result. None of it implies that the process would look "natural" or less so.

And you can't deny that Carrey is successful at what he does. Believe it or not, people like to see him behave the way he does, and line up in droves for the chance to watch 1.5 hours of it.

Do Si dual seekers also look unnatural?
    ENTps do, they're known as complete weirdos. I'm not sure about ENFps. Weak/Valued is something completely different from Weak/Unvalued, so I don't think its warranted to expect the same effects.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But isn't that the case with any weak function?

ESEs use their physicality to influence Fe, in the same way that EIEs use their dreams and vision of the past and future to influence Fe. Sometimes an ESE may just bake cookies or give you a hug, but it also extends to other bodily sensations and uses of the body in general. If you watch Robin Williams' comedy, he is very physically animated, with gestures and expressions, etc., using his physicality to create positive Fe in his audience.

Fe tends to express itself primarily through sounds and vocal modulation. EIEs are normally less physically animated than ESEs, being focused as they are on other times and places, and not as much on what they can do here-and-now to influence others' emotions.

Jim Carrey is physically animated, but in a much wilder and more out-of-control way than Robin Williams. Despite being very physically animated, nobody ever gets the impression that Robin Williams is insane or out of control. Carrey frequently gives that impression -- like he's not sure where the boundary of appropriateness for that kind of physicality is, so he just pushes all the way past it, past embarrassment and into the refuge of absurdity.

The only other type I can see making sense is ILE. He's not a Sensing type, I'm sure of that.

I had considered LIE, Marie, but I think most EJ types would describe themselves as "hard-working", etc. In my opinion, even when he's serious, Carrey focuses mainly on how he feels about things, how he feels about life, how other people feel about things and life, etc., and not on what is the most practically efficient way to effect change in the world.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Ni-ENTj with a huge role!
    I'm considering this too, actually; he does seem more Gamma than Beta, more of a quirky antihero than a tragic one for sure, and he has a kind of Democratic natural levity/socially explorative attitude that you just don't really see in Betas.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    I don't think I will ever be able to take you seriously.
    I don't care if you will.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENxj
    face expression more like ethics but there's something in it it tells me "hey, this is just a huge amount of work" and all this clowning is more like Fe3 than Fe1

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ILe-ne

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bringing this thread back.

Those are really beautiful and moving words, what are the elements behind that?

I always get the feeling he's a social 3 in a sexual 7 disguise also given his upbringing but anyway, Socionics.

Chiming in with ENxx type, either EIE or ILE imo

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE-Ne 7w6 so/sx
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by handjob View Post
    ILE-Ne 7w6 so/sx
    Agreed : )

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think his style reminds me of something.. but not so sure what it is?

ESI-Se 1w2
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Def a 9 fixed 7 but i cant figure his heart fix out. And sx/so. I know so/sx 7s and they are waaay more scattered.
    And I feel the protective and caring over others thing sx/so's have in him.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jereme View Post
    Def a 9 fixed 7 but i cant figure his heart fix out. And sx/so. I know so/sx 7s and they are waaay more scattered.
    9 fix definitely. Heart fix could be 2w3 or 3w2.

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jereme View Post
    Right, because we all know his acting isn't extremely scattered.

Your feelings which are based on nothing is not proof of sx/so. He is light and extremely scattered like a typical so/sx 7. Even when he does serious stuff it's too light and for sx/so.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by handjob View Post
    ILE-Ne 7w6 so/sx
    I can see this fitting him well.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi! I think Jim Carrey type is : ISFJ-C

Myers-Briggs : ISFJ-C (Calm) Estimated Profile : (I) 55% (S) 92,5% (F) 92,5% (J) 55%

Big Five/OCEAN : RCOAN

Enneagram: 6w5(sw5w4) Enneatype 6 - Level 7

Socionics : SEI

Disc : (C) Compliant

Don Riso Subtype : The Overreacting Dependent

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SLE-Se 7w6 sx/so the soc-subtype - this is such an SLE quote: "You know the trouble with real life? There's no danger music."

and so much Ni-seeking in this video:

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIE

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always have him as ESE but sometimes he border the ILE area. This tho is some serious ESE I think.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfadder View Post
    I always have him as ESE but sometimes he border the ILE area. This tho is some serious ESE I think.

cool person.

I see ESE facilitating Carrey's creativity, I don't think he himself is one.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda think ESE. The things he can do with that face of his... I find the spiritual things he talk about is common in ESE's, im not sure why. There is this connection between IEI and ESE where ESE is a bit more bold spiritual.

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLE

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

IEE, Type 7.

His 4D +Fe is obvious; it's what got him famous back in the day.

This clip makes it rather obvious he is NF.

New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    SLE-Se 7w6 sx/so the soc-subtype - this is such an SLE quote: "You know the trouble with real life? There's no danger music."

and so much Ni-seeking in this video:

Good clip!

I agree with you, zero Ne in that video, it's all about Ni valuing.

His Fe mobilizing function is obvious, no way an Fe base would be as clumsy with Fe, it would be far more nuanced.

He likes enneagram, perhaps he'll join the forum, his esoteric views would be perfect from this place.

(You could almost type him IEI from what he values - Ni and Fe, except he is an obvious extravert).

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I feel like Jim Carrey has a "more is more" approach to Fe, which is in keeping with 2d "norms", i.e.: his exaggerations are exaggerations, characterizing an underlying normative perspective. 4d Fe would be being able to convey a thunderbolt in a jar etc, killing with a look that no one but the intended target picks up. the kind of stuff that on the outside looks as bad Fe might be exactly what a highly sophisticated, especially strong intuitive, strong Fe user might use, precisely because often what is most effective is effective precisely because it doesn't kick down the door, etc etc. I also think the reason he's so relatable is because he amps it up but keeps it precisely on an understandable level. no one really gets confused as to what his Fe is doing, its pretty linear, its the context and situations he finds himself in, as well as the timing and general Ne zaniness that really makes him. if you contrast him with Ewan Mcgregor in I love You Phillip Morris, I think this distinction becomes clear. McGregor relies more on Fe to do "more with less" emotionally, whereas Carrey uses a ton of Ne context in pulling off everything he does

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Compare Jim Carrey to an SLE 7w6 (Sx/Sp), Dane Cook.
    His Fe is less strong and "sophisticated", it has a slightly try-hard quality to it (HA).

New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast